Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ling is in the well! Q&A with Ling from lingscars.

Options
  • 09-01-2010 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭

Ling from www.lingscars.com has accepted our invitation to be thrown down the proverbial well and answer the questions which we pose to her.

The Rules are as per usual:
    1: Ling doesn't have to answer any question which she doesn't want to.
    2: Insults etc will not be tolerated.

Thanks for doing this Ling!

Also for those who know nothing about her, Lings time in Dragons Den might be a good starting point.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Hi Ling thanks for doing this!

Where you involved in the car business before you came to England? How did you get into it?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭LINGsCARS

Atlas_IRL wrote: »
    Hi Ling thanks for doing this!

Where you involved in the car business before you came to England? How did you get into it?

Nope. Before I came to the UK I was studying Wood Chemistry for MSc in Finland.

I got into it because my new hubby (Jon) ran a contract hire company in Bournemouth. But when I saw what he was doing, I know I could do it better. I had to learn every car from scratch, as I did not even know what "hatchback" meant.

In those days (2000), it was still done by phone and fax.

I moved it onto the web, really.

shoutman wrote: »
    2: Insults etc will not be tolerated.

Thanks for doing this Ling!

I do not mind insults. Feel free. Throw potatoes. I am happy that some people like my website and other's don't. Takes all sorts. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭gabgab

What does a average working day look like?

Are you physically active?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Could you give a brief history of how it all started?

What were the biggest pitfalls you had to overcome?

What, if any, were the mistakes you made which you wouldn't if you could do it all again?

Do you have any regrets?

What car do you drive?

• Advertisement

gabgab wrote: »
    What does a average working day look like?

Are you physically active?

Yep, play ping pong, go to gym etc.

Start early at home (can work anywhere due to being online biz - for example I use laptop in bed (obviously I do not say I am naked in bed, nits), and just did 2 weeks work from China over Xmas, and did some when delayed 24hrs at Schipol) then get into office and continue, clear all overnight LINGO CRM and emails before 9am usually.

I will say, customers are classed as friends.

Then the day is a) loading car deals, b) chasing suppliers, c) dealing with customers (in any order). My server announces my customers going online and I know who is on my website if I already ID them... so customers get amazed that I respond to them predictively before they have asked their questions. :) Pride myself on max 5 minute response times to questions and LINGO CRM posts. Time over past 4 working hours is displayed on website, and to customers, so they know how long to wait for a reply. Most wait online. emails get answered as fast if they are customers/new visitors/enquiries, but customers 99% of the time are in my LINGO CRM on webserver. Car quotes typically take 90 minutes as they all need much pedalling to shop around for prices/stock/availability/alternatives. Quote time over last 8 working hours is displayed. I measure the times over several past hours to even out the peaks and troughs.

Emails are in a completely shared box by all staff, so there are never unanswered emails. Nothing is ever private, everyone knows everything, even company bank balance etc. We dish them out using outlook coloured flags but they never leave the central email box (staff/me do not have private email boxes) and we use peer pressure to make sure they are 100% up to date. We share opinions on stuff. We all suggest funny responses etc. None stagnate except ones selling stuff and spammy ****. If one staff member goes for a pee, others will answer the messages/mails because we are never behind the curve.

If we have cleared everything and have a brief free minute, we kick customers off by having fun with them and provoking responses depending on what they work at etc. I am terrible, we tease customers rotten. They love it. As we have built a trust, and the chat is 100% private, even people like bank chairman and police chief inspectors let their hair down. Customers give themselves a "friendly name" or nickname, for instance a customer called Mark Hudson uses "Rock", so I always call them by that name. Breaks all the barriers. Fun. We have money bets on when and what a customer will respond with. Customers are all kids at heart and cars are emotional. On the other hand I do not hesitate to be very hard on customers if they start to get ars-ey or make up stuff. I slap them down, then rebuild it, just as you would with a child.

All day is orchestrating my staff, between 3 and 6 of us depending on the day, working on quotes, customers in process, new deals, renewals, suppliers and IT stuff (we do all IT on the fly, live, I have 3 part-time Sunderland Uni students who can do ANYTHING and enjoy being given impossible tasks. We regularly accidentally take the server down and have to scream for a quick reboot, while doing the impossible stuff and making stupid errors. All live.). Then all post is cleared by 6pm and sent at the sorting office by 7pm, all messages cleared. Never any unanswered in the day.

I answer all phone calls personally. Usually direct people back to website, frankly, but always have a small chat. Many people just want to reassure I exist as some don't believe it.

All actions are done over local sound socket from website server with selection of tunes and noises and speech, so my office is a never ending stream of aural clues to what is happening on my website. Website can never be ignored!. We all hear when a quote comes in, when a customer leaves a message or visits the site, when a car is proposed or delivered or an invoice is raised. All by sound. Often we work in verbal silence (nice) with sounds playing all around to let us know what is happening on the website. Hard to describe until you experience it. For instance a car proposal (personal) gets a Chinese Numa Numa verse, a proposal (business) gets a Chinese punk Internationale verse and an Invoice gets a Chinese National Anthem verse. A customer message gets a "ribbit", a proposal message gets a "oho" (from ICQ noises), and a quote enquiry gets a foghorn. Customers are announced by name by an Indian girl voice (LINGANI, hehe) when they arrive online.

Website traffic is a "click" each time a visitor lands, so when busy sounds like a Geiger counter, but if it goes silent we jump and say "check TOP, what's happened to the website, has it crashed?".

Must say the MD of BT Business stood in my office in amazement as we aurally managed 200 customers. He said he had never seen/heard anything like it and we have interest in developing the live website monitoring system with them now.

Often log in the evening to clear any customers urgent queries, it is fun as this is dealing with real, happy people who show amazement they get dealt with so fast.

Continual loop, every day, every day.

Do ad hoc on Sat and Sun, like now. It is quieter at the weekend, but for example, have had 10 car proposals today so far and 2135 website visitors (Sunday to 20:30, so it is always busy and active).

But, NEVER get a backlog. Most other car companies seem to work with a permanent backlog of emails, are slow, unresponsive and frankly, hard to deal with. Why people do that, I dunno. Easier to be ahead in my view.

Phew.

What, if any, were the mistakes you made which you wouldn't if you could do it all again?

Do you have any regrets?

What car do you drive?

Easy Q first:

Audi TT Cab (Quattro has been lovely in the snow as have heated seats :)

Do you like the flag? Local council told me I need planning permission, hahahaha, National flags are outside planning permission. I got the Chinese Embassy to write to them and put them right. Council have gone all quiet, now. They don't want to pick a fight with PR China! :)))) Other people say I should fly a union jack courtesy flag, but I say I do not want a BNP flag, hahaha.
    ling_tt.jpg

Do you have any regrets?

What car do you drive?

Mistakes: I would design the website properly (backend). That is the most limiting factor and we are completely re-writing the CRM "properly" to allow multiple css style sites, white label, affilliate and 3rd party involvement. The site at the moment is a house of cards, and as I say we crash it often, but... hell better than being a boring flat dead site :) We have work arounds on the work arounds on the clagged up work arounds, so anything we touch has knogk on effects which have been forgotten over the years. 300+ database tables. You get the idea. :) What a laugh, eh?

But, as the BT boss admitted, many of their own sites are the same and are clagged together, he said ebay is like that, all glued together as things have been added and changed, etc, and I guess most sites that do complicated stuff are the same. If a website is perfect, I think it is not doing much. A bit like MS Windows, the pile of sh1t is built on so much old sh1t it just MUST break from time to time. Have you added a font lately? That is still Windows 3.1 dialogue box, in XP. For example.

Do you have any regrets?

What car do you drive?

Regrets, I've had a few...

hahaha

I have pi55ed off a lot of suppliers by dissing them for pi55 poor service and bad standards. Some finance companies hate me for telling the truth about their standards.

Hell, I dunno, you only live once.

Am currently getting solicitor letters from BMW UK every week trying to stop me selling BMWs, removing their logo under threat of ££££ high court action (I would probably win, but cannot afford the risk of their legal fees, things like that)

Do you have any regrets?

What car do you drive?

Biggest pitfall is that I am not in the boys club of UK car dealers so constantly get blanked. Eg Pendragon Uk - UK's biggest dealer group - issue commands like "I have been instructed not to communicate with you by our directors". That sort of terrible stuff. I get blacklisted (eg previously by Mazda UK).

• Advertisement

Try and just ask 1 question per post, multiple questions in a post are a nightmare. :)

Why do I write all this, you lot are in Free State? You cannot buy my cars. Who cares, I want more ideas, so I welcome any discussion. Please suggest brilliant ideas.

LINGsCARS wrote: »
    Why do I write all this, you lot are in Free State? You cannot buy my cars. Who cares, I want more ideas, so I welcome any discussion. Please suggest brilliant ideas.

Emigration is at a high here Ling, so you never know, we might just be customers in the future.
    Also we are a republic now ;)

I'd imagine there will be a lot more quesitons for you tomorrow as a lot of people use this site for in work browsing.

One more Q from me.

Are you involved in any other business' apart from lingscars.com
    In the future would you like to expand into other areas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭suey71

Heres an idea Ling.

Why not set up some television cameras in your office and do a kind of Osbournes Show, call it the Ling Show:D. I'd watch it.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in your office.
    I'd say its amazing to watch you work.

One more Q from me.

Are you involved in any other business' apart from lingscars.com
    In the future would you like to expand into other areas?

Yep, I am developing the live web management software so other businesses can manage their own web visitors as they arrive, in a similar manner.

suey71 wrote: »
    Heres an idea Ling.

Why not set up some television cameras in your office and do a kind of Osbournes Show, call it the Ling Show:D. I'd watch it.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in your office.
    I'd say its amazing to watch you work.

Webcams, not TV cams. 3 of them here: Cams

However, you miss the noises :(

Not sure if it is The Osbornes, hahaha.

I was offered to take part in "Naked Office" where there is some pretext and the result is everyone ends up taking their clothes off, on Virgin, but... I declined. Shame, eh? Hahaha!

Also we are a republic now ;)

Ah, but you are not a PEOPLE'S Republic :)

Hahaha.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

You cannot buy my cars. Who cares, I want more ideas, so I welcome any discussion. Please suggest brilliant ideas.

Why not spill over into Ireland. I would probably use it and alot of companies for fleet cars?

tombull82 wrote: »
    Why not spill over into Ireland. I would probably use it and alot of companies for fleet cars?

Well, no offence but .ie is a tiny car market compared to the UK.

And 75-80% of the cars I supply are "private", not "fleet". I avoid the fleet market as I am B to C, not really B to B.

God knows what the finance market is like in .ie, with all the hiatus lately post credit-crunch. Bad enough in the UK, where Lombard (RBS) have pulled out totally, Lex have stopped doing private, etc etc

Plus it is "foreign" for me, not sure if I can do that with all the data protection and consumer credit being based in the UK. There are sure to be legal issues with the credit docs etc.

Plus the Euro pricing and plus the Irish finance companies may be uncomfortable with me being in different juristiction.

Then, there will be the confusion in having another English text website in Euros with completely different pricing.

Then there are the different model/trim designations (remember I have 300+ database tables to maintain), which is a hell of a lot new stuff to find out. Often there are some significant differences in various models.

I hate to be sensible, but it would be a BIG amount of work for a small return, as the car market is just not massive at all in .ie and it takes many years and much work to build up in Google etc.

Does that make sense? However, it will be easier when I have my LINGO2, white label, css-based site engine running.

===

I am seriously looking to open a (not leasing as leasing is virtually unavailable there) car buying assistance website in China, but China needs to be regionalised.

• Advertisement

tombull82 wrote: »
    Just had a look here:

http://autoleasing.ie/

My God, is it expensive!

Why? Tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Mickk

Nope. Before I came to the UK I was studying Wood Chemistry for MSc in Finland.

I got into it because my new hubby (Jon) ran a contract hire company in Bournemouth. But when I saw what he was doing, I know I could do it better. I had to learn every car from scratch, as I did not even know what "hatchback" meant.

In those days (2000), it was still done by phone and fax.

I moved it onto the web, really.

Haha, are you still with your husband? I would love it if my wife looked at my business and decided she could do it better than me and then did!

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

Just had a look here:

http://autoleasing.ie/

My God, is it expensive!

Why? Tax?
    not sure why. I looked at it when i bought the last time but decided it was better to buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 exsitingisinit

Mickk wrote: »
    Haha, are you still with your husband? I would love it if my wife looked at my business and decided she could do it better than me and then did!

This is what i was thinking........ :)

Mickk wrote: »

Of course, a husband is not just for passport purposes :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭_tony_

Hi Ling,

Thanks for taking the time to answer questions :)

When I first saw your website it looked like some sort a scam to me - just because your design theory goes against what many people believe to be *good* website design (i.e. clear and simple, ease of use, etc...). After looking into it a bit more I can clearly see that you run a tight operation with no messing about. This time yesterday I had never heard of Lings Cars, and now I'm sure I'll remember it for quite some time - and for no reason other than your website is so different from many/most other businesses.

I saw the comments here where many people think your website has a bad design...my question is, off the top of your head, are there any websites in particular that you think are poorly designed?

_tony_ wrote: »
    Hi Ling,

Thanks for taking the time to answer questions :)

cut slavering rubbish, hahaha

I saw the comments here where many people think your website has a bad design...my question is, off the top of your head, are there any websites in particular that you think are poorly designed?

Hmmm, well, for me, I just sigh when I see yet another website who uses grey 10px writing (always too much of it). Usually generic "mac" design. Which is always based on grey which is the new beige. Or black backgrounds annoy me.

Things which are boring annoy me. I want to be entertained. I want to say to someone in the office "look at this, hahaha". I want nice big pictures and not be left hanging for the basic information.

I want to know who runs the website, it annoys me when companies say "we" all the time, but don't say who "we" are. Understandable with massive companies, but smaller companies I think - who the hell runs it, a kid in a bedroom or a proper business?

I don't mind things if they are not perfect, if you can see what they are trying to achieve - but I hate websites that have glaring formatting errors or ones that are plainly broken in FireFox, or ones that the owner clearly never uses.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭antog86

Hi Ling, fair play to you for doing this. Great marketing idea!

Q: Are you happy where your buisness currently is or do you intend to develop further and try and make it bigger and more profitable etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

You were very quick to spot the criticism your site was receiving here. I think I remember you reg'd to defend it another time here (maybe a couple of years ago) too.

How are you so quick? I assume you have google keywords alerts or something set up (rather than being a boards.ie lurker) so you can keep abreast of what people are saying about your business, is that right?

What have you learned and how have you improved your business with the information you've received this way?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Also, not a question but a statement... this is brilliant: http://www.lingscars.com/werthers.php :D

Advertisement