Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone Else Getting This Unnecessary Abuse?

Options
  • 16-12-2009 8:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭

Second time this month a middle aged woman has literally roared at me when my dog is urinating on a communal green. See, she's a female dog so she sits to urinate. Both times they've yelled at me ''are you going to clean up after that.'' The last time the woman beeped her horn at me in her parked car.

I explain that she's just urinating and both times they've tried to backtrack and said ''well I bet you don't have a bag to clean up after her''....and both times Ive produced a bio-degradable pooper-scooper bag. And both times I received no apology whatsoever.

What do they expect me to do? Put a cup underneath her when she urinates. Its 95% water!!!!

What irks me even more is that I see their neighbors out with their dogs without leads and not cleaning up after their dogs' feces.

Agggghhhhhh!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

It is unfortunate but an everyday occurance.
    I've seen many people not cleaning up after their dogs. I personally always do.
    One of mine stopped to wee (being a girl she sits) and some lady stood at her window watching (this is the grass outside your house beside the road), then came out to the porch, and the second we moved she came down to examine her grass.

Some people are just reallllly uppity. I can understand someone saying (if you walk away without cleaning) saying 'excuse me I think you forgot something' etc, because you should clean up. But yelling at you whilst your dog is going? I'd be annoyed too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Yikes! Can't say I've ever had this happen. :eek:

Though once our older bitch comes out of season I'll be walking her with the younger bitch and since both squat I suppose I'd better be prepared just in case. :o

Though I always have my doggie bags in my pocket whenever out with the dogs - and regularly when without them too :D

I have had the odd person watch alright when either the dog or the bitch has been going poop, but I always clean up after them which I think probably surprises a lot of people who may be about to give out to me expecting me to walk away and leave it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Can understand some people getting frustrated with dog poop everywhere but if she had the guts she'd of approached you instead of shouting like a coward from her car. Mind you perhaps it'll make her think twice before she does that again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

This happened to me last week when a motorcyclist actually turned round, drove back to me and started roaring abuse at me shouting that I didn't clean up after my dogs. I showed him a full bag and told him that the dogs were female and one of them had just done a wee. He called me a liar and said that all dogs regardless of sex cocked their legs when weeing.

^^ that chap on the bike just sounds like an idiot...
    Though, in saying that, my older girl lifts one leg very slightly when peeing, it's rather funny, almost like a pinky finger up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

[quote=star-pants;63535017
    Though, in saying that, my older girl lifts one leg very slightly when peeing, it's rather funny, almost like a pinky finger up.[/quote]

My Chi does the same, she's a real little lady!!!!!!!!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭tudlytops

same as happen to me and no, no apology when they see the poop bag, they just mumbled something and left.

A neigbour of mine got one of those chinchua dogs, now they are small and this one was only about 8 weeks old so even smaller, she brough the dog out side and this women started to shout, put that dog on a lead its dangerous he could bit someone.

i burst out laughing, this dog was no bigger then my hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Actually, until my first dog, only a few years ago, I did not know that only male dogs cock their legs:) You only notice that!

But often the attack has nothing to do with the dog or you; is just aggression.

Stopped at a garage to buy coffee when moving house. Wee dog was in the back, in a nest of cushions.

A man came up and started threatening to report me for cruelty! Said the dog should be in a trailer on the back of the car.....

Just was havin a bad day? Told him to pick on someone his own size.

By then wee dog was barking because of his tone to me....

I had never seen such a trailer then; I have since and would never put wee dog in one.

But it is horrible when this happens.

tudlytops wrote: »
    same as happen to me and no, no apology when they see the poop bag, they just mumbled something and left.

A neigbour of mine got one of those chinchua dogs, now they are small and this one was only about 8 weeks old so even smaller, she brough the dog out side and this women started to shout, put that dog on a lead its dangerous he could bit someone.

i burst out laughing, this dog was no bigger then my hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Mjollnir

macy9 wrote: »
    Second time this month a middle aged woman has literally roared at me when my dog is urinating on a communal green. See, she's a female dog so she sits to urinate. Both times they've yelled at me ''are you going to clean up after that.'' The last time the woman beeped her horn at me in her parked car.

I explain that she's just urinating and both times they've tried to backtrack and said ''well I bet you don't have a bag to clean up after her''....and both times Ive produced a bio-degradable pooper-scooper bag. And both times I received no apology whatsoever.

What do they expect me to do? Put a cup underneath her when she urinates. Its 95% water!!!!

What irks me even more is that I see their neighbors out with their dogs without leads and not cleaning up after their dogs' feces.

Agggghhhhhh!

If she's yelling at you from her car, that means her window's down. If her window's down, there's no reason why you couldn't avail her to a quick inspection of her own, by quickly tossing it through.

A cheerful, "See for yourself!" always adds just the right touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

I dont own a dog but my brother goes on holidays regularly for football/ the missus whatever.. Anyways I always volunteer to look after his dog in my house. The other day I forgot to bring a poop bag. And low and behold Got round the corner. he dropped and left a nice big one. I was so embarrased! had to go home and get a bag and go back to the place!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭macy9

I think I was more annoyed about the fact that they didn't apologise when they accused me of not having a bag, when I clearly did. And the beeping of the horn was just ridiculous. The car was right beside me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

macy9 wrote: »
    I think I was more annoyed about the fact that they didn't apologise when they accused me of not having a bag, when I clearly did. And the beeping of the horn was just ridiculous. The car was right beside me.

if they beeped there horn i think you can report them as they are committing the illegal act and not you, not certain in Ireland but in the UK

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_070289

The horn. Use only while your vehicle is moving and you need to warn other road users of your presence. Never sound your horn aggressively. You MUST NOT use your horn
    • while stationary on the road
    • when driving in a built-up area between the hours of 11.30 pm and 7.00 am
    except when another road user poses a danger.

Page 53 on the following for the Irish version - prittty similar

http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/pdf-downloads/english/rules-of-the-road%20eng.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

I often see people looking, but I always make a point of going over, even though I know it's a pee, I go over to look at where she was, and always say out loud, only a pee :-)
    I can understand people having issues, as someone let their dog poop on our front lawn continually. It was very frustrating and annoying. Then when we got Sindy, and the local kids started chatting to us, I made mention of picking up her poo and how someone was letting theirs go in front of our house. It stopped immediately :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

You will never win with people like that so no point trying to argue your case with them. You know yourself you are in the right, if they cant see that you are picking up poop then thats their problem.

Just tell them if they have a problem with you, to report it to the dog warden. I had to do this once with a woman who was harrassing me over my dog, who wasnt off the lead, had his halti on, was on the other side of the road and wasnt even looking her direction let alone doing anything else. I'd had enough and told her to mind her own business and if she has a problem to report me to the dog warden then.

Many years ago, we lived in an open plan estate.

A woman across the road was hostile; saw her one night getting her wee dachshund to poo on our lawn...

So I phoned her, saying how terribly worried I was to see it as we had just put strong weedkiller on the lawn ....

She hung up; but that dog will have had a a bath that night and she never did it again.

quote=barbiegirl;63538576]I often see people looking, but I always make a point of going over, even though I know it's a pee, I go over to look at where she was, and always say out loud, only a pee :-)
    I can understand people having issues, as someone let their dog poop on our front lawn continually. It was very frustrating and annoying. Then when we got Sindy, and the local kids started chatting to us, I made mention of picking up her poo and how someone was letting theirs go in front of our house. It stopped immediately :-)[/quote]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Starlights

Unfortunely this will always happen!
    Has happened to me a few times. People being darn right ignorant instead of just asking you nicely. I dont mind people asking questions about my dogs and my views etc, everyone has to learn. but i HATE people shouting abuse for NO reason esp when they dont even know what they are talking about.
    I always carry poo bags...and even when i dont have the dogs, i always have poo bags on me haha Quite embarassing when you take out your purse and a poo bag falls out!! :rolleyes: haha
    I always scoop the poop as i HATE standing in dog poo, esp when the kids stand in it aswell...its not nice at all.

But pee is well pee...how you gona clean that up!? My dog always waits to pee and poo when she has a crowd watching her! haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Doesn't the urine from a bitch damage/kill off grass?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Starlights

Yes it does. But not with one pee to the grass! It takes a few pee's in the same place to cause noticeable damage

Urine from either bitch or dog will damage grass, due to the nitrogen in it.

But for once off urinating it shouldn't do much damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Anyone Else Getting This Unnecessary Abuse?
    Nope. Usually only walk the dog in the evening, but have never gotten abuse. Of someone mentioned it, I'd probably clean it up, but if someone did give me abuse, I'd probably tell them to f**k off (and then some), though.

Get your dog to find a patch, and pee on the same patch. There's a small patch in the back garden where the grass is killed, but luckily she pisses in thte same spot every time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Starlights wrote: »
    Quite embarassing when you take out your purse and a poo bag falls out!! :rolleyes: haha

That happens to me all the time!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

In fairness, No. I have walked a bitch for 25 years and never have I received any such abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Think it depends on the particular dog/bitch. We've 3 small dogs now (1 dog & 2 bitches) and none of them kill the grass. Our previous Rottie bitch did kill the grass, and a male Samoyed that we had as a house guest for 2 weeks killed grass too (and he was only 3 months old at the time).

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I've had it twice. Once when my dogs were about 9 months and we walking to the park. Their leads got tangled and I stopped to untangle them. A woman came running out of her house to scream at me to pick up the poo. She would not accept that my dogs were not going to the toilet. I can sympathise with her frustration if she constantly has dog crap at her gate, but yelling at anyone who has a dog isn't going to help her with that.

And a few months ago one of my dogs was taking a poo in the park. I was standing over him with a plastic bag on my hand waiting for him to finish when this man started screaming, effing and blinding, at me for not picking up the poo. I pointed out that I was standing there with a bag on my hand and he started screaming liar, liar, liar. Then he started calling me names which boards would asterix out if I typed them. My dog finished pooing so I ducked down picked it up and held it for him to see. He just kept screaming and screaming at me that I was lying and nobody ever picked up poo so I couldn't fool him, all the while calling me awful names. I got so mad. I walked over to him with the poo in the bag in one hand and my role of bags in the other and so he could see I had them. He turned around and ran away, still calling me names. I wouldn't mind but this guy was wearing a suit and carrying a laptop bag, he didn't look like a total nutter.:confused: I was really upset by him, I'm glad he ran away because if he kept calling me names I would probably have emptied the bag on him.:o

As an aside, one of my dogs never, ever cocks his leg and the other cocks his when he poos.:cool:

ETA: I just added in that bold "he" I forgot earlier. My story takes on quite a different tone without it. :o

With the rainfall in Ireland!!! Well diluted..

All this makes me so thankful I do not have to take our dogs out. We have the use of a small field..They can run free and no one to carry on at them.

I am sure that much of the time the aggro has nothing to do with the dogs. Just snarky and hitting out.
    Starlights wrote: »
    Yes it does. But not with one pee to the grass! It takes a few pee's in the same place to cause noticeable damage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

I walk dogs as part of my job and get this sometimes. Usually only with larger dogs for some reason, no one ever comments when I'm walking a smaller dog. I have a little poop a scoop thing that I love to open and show them the contents of when they have a go at me, the look of disgust on their face is great, shuts them up fast :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭tudlytops

Don't think so, if that were the case i wouldn't need a lawn mower, it would be lovely.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭bongi69

I don't get abuse for my dog taking a whizz, however I have got abuse many times as he's a staffie. I walk him fully in accordance with the dangerous dogs act (i.e. short lead, muzzle etc.), but still peopel tell me I shouldn't have him in the park, he should be locked up, he'll kill you if he gets the chance etc. etc.
    The best was one lady stopping to give out to me, her bischon off its lead (which is against the rules of this particular park), running around continously nipping at my dog and my legs, getting him good on the ear drawing blood. And he didn't flinch. He didn't even try to make a move for her dog

When I pointed this out to her that her dog was misbehaving, I got more abuse, now levelled at me, not my dog.

I am going to take a stand for staffies. They get a bad rep from bad owners who only have them as a status symbol. I've had staffies all my life, and have never, ever had one react at me with anger or malice. Most people just have a preconcieved notion that they're killers etc. etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭ha-ya-said-what

Never had an issues with the whole poo/pee thing, generally cos ours get walked at night when the place is quite. I get worse than that abuse, I get abuse aimed directly at the dog and she hasn't even done anything.

Example: Postbox is at the top of the estate, said I'd being the Japanese spitz with me, half way to it roaring at the top of his voice (one idiot with a group of his mates, more than likely the yob students we get in the houses here) " What the f*** is that, it's a f***in sheep, the state of it a f***in sheep on a lead ... sheep sheep", carried on & said nothing cos around here if you respond to them they get worse. Coming back again "ahhhh it's the f***in sheep again, I wouldn't be seen dead walking that yoke, the state of it, baaaahhh bahhhh sheep" and then his mates joined in!

I mean what kind of a narrow minded idiot thinks he's funny for shouting abuse at a dog :mad: and there he was thinking he was great cos his mates were laughing so gets worse with the swearing and abuse. Absolutely no respect for pets around here, I've had logs (2ft long branches the thicker than my two arms together) thrown at the dogs, footballs kicked at them & bloody pellet guns fired at them and that was all when they were in the back garden. The garden is confined within a 6ft wall and side gate at the house, yet they still find the need to harrass the dogs!! Yes the main brat for the garden incidents got several earfuls, at the time he was 17, so his mother followed up our complaints with "your the adult, hes only a child, ye should know better"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Graces7 wrote: »
    Actually, until my first dog, only a few years ago, I did not know that only male dogs cock their legs:) You only notice that!
    I've seen females cock their legs, but it's quite rare. I suspect males tend to cock their legs to pee *on* stuff such as trees and posts to scent it, but this is less of a concern for females who don't tend to pee on anything.

My bitch only has three legs, so you could say that she always cocks one :D

Might be a controversial topic - but would be it be fair to suggest that it's mainly women who get abused by people who think that a woman isn't going to give abuse back or (or attack you)? I can safely say I've never once had a person make a comment about a dog I was walking, and when I was a kid we used to let our dog crap on any patch of grass anywhere and just leave it there.
    I am going to take a stand for staffies. They get a bad rep from bad owners who only have them as a status symbol. I've had staffies all my life, and have never, ever had one react at me with anger or malice. Most people just have a preconcieved notion that they're killers etc. etc.
    I have absolutely no qualms about the temperment of our staffie, but we don't have her long and I think it's her strength which worries me more than anything. She wouldn't just *turn*, at all, ever, but if she was pushed or sufficiently annoyed by another dog, I could see her doing a serious amount of damage. Maybe it's just a newbie's concern. She spent a few hours with two other dogs during the week and they were generally getting on, but the other two dogs were annoying her - growling at her and so forth. The owner of the other two dogs claims that she left the room and came back a few minutes later to find our staffie pinning one of the dogs to the ground. No aggression, growling or biting mind - she had just jumped on the dog and flattened it.

Advertisement