Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Curry's Green Whit and Orange Union Jack !

Options
  • 02-12-2009 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Did anyone see the VAT advertisement for Curry's.

It a green white and orange union jack in the papers and on billboards.

I dont know how anybody thought this would be a good marketing ploy.

I for one think its offensive to the republic and at least poor taste.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The only thing offensive is they think people are such gullible idiots to believe that crap.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Try to exercise any consumer rights with Currys and you get a Uniion Jackboot more like :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

[insert faceplam here]

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

I could be completely wrong here (I regularly am :) ) but isn't there anything in legislation about defacing flags?
    I know in the states there's some statutes about displaying a damaged or defaced flag, not sure if its the same in England.

• Advertisement

In the UK you can do as you please with the flag. In The States there have been attempts to ban flag desecration without success so far.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_desecration

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭johnciall

jimoc wrote: »
    I could be completely wrong here (I regularly am :) ) but isn't there anything in legislation about defacing flags?
    I know in the states there's some statutes about displaying a damaged or defaced flag, not sure if its the same in England.

Even if it was agains the law in the UK it would be an odd case since the advert was run outside of the UK legal jurisdiction

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭KevArno

It's not a Union Jack though... It's green, white and gold...
    It's a graphic, nothing more. Part of an ad campaign aimed at the patriotic people doing all of their shopping across the border anyway.
    You say it is offensive? Offensive to what? We as Irish people do not own these colours.
    Anyway, If anybody was to be offended by the defacing of a flag here (as ludicrous a suggestion as it is) it should be the British.
    I presume you understand the point of the ad, and understand that nothing offensive was meant, so maybe just look beyond it.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

Knew I was completely wrong :)

I don't personally find anything any company does anymore offensive, once you get struck by the epiphany that every company is out to dupe the masses and screw them out of anything and everything they can, nothing suprises you after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

KevArno wrote: »
    It's not a Union Jack though... It's green, white and gold...

That ad campaign has been around for a while.

It is a Union Jack, in green, white and gold. I think. To me it's the UK flag being "desecrated" with other colours.

It's funny how everyones outraged by being overcharged compared to the UK.

Then a company launches an ad campaign about their UK VAT prices and some people are outraged over a graphic...yet that day hoards of cars queue to cross the border to contibute money to her majestys palace.
    You can't win.

• Advertisement

Companies in Ireland today can't win... you're dead right.

jimoc talks about being duped. This is marketing, being done by companies that give jobs to Irish people. They are trying, in tough economic times to drive sales, which keep people in jobs. If you think you are being duped then take it up with the advertising standards folks. If not, then you are being sold to... nothing wrong with that.

People need to take more responsibility for what they buy into, and not throw everything back on the company.

Anyway thats way OT.

I still dont believe it's a Union Jack. Its a graphic. It is like trying to take ownership of the colours, or of the tri-colour layout of our flag... The graphic they use does not exist except for their advert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

I could see how British people could be offended by this. But how is this offensive to Ireland? We don't have ownership over those 3 colours. Just ask the Ivory Coast or India.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

Companies in Ireland today can't win... you're dead right.

Not the brightest thing I've said! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

Its green, white and orange.
    Not gold.

kildara wrote: »
    Its green, white and orange.
    Not gold.

ok...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭LittleLebowski

It is clearly orange but that is beside the point.

How can they expect people not to be offended with all the history behind them colours and that design.

You could argue that it is just a graphic but then you are admitting you completely missed the point of the ad.

It is clearly a Union Jack displying the Irish colours and wether we own the colours or not they are assosiated with our country and the point of the ad was to unify the irish flag with the union jack and that to me is a little offensive but more than anything it just makes me want never to shop there again because of the pure stupidity of the ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

It is clearly orange but that is beside the point.

How can they expect people not to be offended with all the history behind them colours and that design.

You could argue that it is just a graphic but then you are admitting you completely missed the point of the ad.

It is clearly a Union Jack displying the Irish colours and wether we own the colours or not they are assosiated with our country and the point of the ad was to unify the irish flag with the union jack and that to me is a little offensive but more than anything it just makes me want never to shop there again because of the pure stupidity of the ad.

You do realise that it implies "Irishisation" of the Union Jack, rather than the other way around?

Still, any reason not to shop in Curry's is good.

No I got the ad. I got it's intention. And you are correct, they associate both flags within the one graphic. Where is the Irish flag in it? Its not there. Where is the Union Jack? Its not their either. but it is definitely associating them, and what is the problem there?? We as countries have huge associations regardless anyway, and not only in a negative regressive way.
    I still cannot see where the offense comes from? Do you think it threatens your Irishness? Do you think it mocks people that fought for this country?

I can't see how this combination of shapes and colours can offend anyone. I think you are being over critical of the company. Take it for what it is, a piece of marketing, whether it be good or bad it up to you, I personally think it's good, and talking about it in forums like this just shows it should work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Or Any other DSG joke shops > PC World, Dixons (if any of them left) and best (I say that with no little hint of sarcasm) PixMania

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭LittleLebowski

No I got the ad. I got it's intention. And you are correct, they associate both flags within the one graphic. Where is the Irish flag in it? Its not there. Where is the Union Jack? Its not their either. but it is definitely associating them, and what is the problem there?? We as countries have huge associations regardless anyway, and not only in a negative regressive way.
    I still cannot see where the offense comes from? Do you think it threatens your Irishness? Do you think it mocks people that fought for this country?

I can't see how this combination of shapes and colours can offend anyone. I think you are being over critical of the company. Take it for what it is, a piece of marketing, whether it be good or bad it up to you, I personally think it's good, and talking about it in forums like this just shows it should work.

There is no Irish flag but there is clearly a union Jack. Just because it is different colours to the original does not mean it is not there.

The offence comes from generations of opression.

You may be right I prob am be over critical but it is a feeling of discust I got when I first saw it in the paper.

It is not just a combination of shapes and colours when it combines a design that symbolises the united kingdom with the colours of the irish flag. It becomes more than that.

I sence there are many patriotic people out there who would agree. They have defaced the irish flag in the worst way by combining it with this ''graphic''.

• Advertisement

Ok, I get your point of view, and I'm not being argumentative here for the fun of it.
    But I cant see why it offends you... What does it have to do with the years of oppression argument? Things move on.

It also isnt a Union Jack until it is Blue, Red and White. Thats just fact. The shapes take no meaning unless they are coloured correctly, and in the right proportion, if we're going to be strict about it.

And as it has been said, if you believe it is the defacement of a flag, then it is definitely the Union Jack that has been defaced. So again, why are you offended?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Bet they wont do one with the french colours on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

What annoys me more about this ad is the fact that Curry's cannot charge the lower rate of UK VAT, that is a blatant lie and false advertising.

Also the Union Jack in Green, White and Orange is offencive, in the same way as if the British saw their flag as a Tricolour (Damn French VAT rate :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

It is clearly a Union Jack displying the Irish colours

No. It's a union FLAG. It's only a union JACK if it's flown from a ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

seagull wrote: »
    No. It's a union FLAG. It's only a union JACK if it's flown from a ship.

:rolleyes: There is a ship in the background if you look very closely :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Not a Consumer Issue - moved to After Hours

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 10,980 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

If anyone is seriously offended by this then they should just never go out, read any newspapers or magazines, use the internet, listen to the radio or watch television as they're bound to find something that'll offend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Elmo wrote: »
    What annoys me more about this ad is the fact that Curry's cannot charge the lower rate of UK VAT, that is a blatant lie and false advertising.

Also the Union Jack in Green, White and Orange is offencive, in the same way as if the British saw their flag as a Tricolour (Damn French VAT rate :) )
    The Ireland prices are supposedly 121.5% and the british is 115%.
    All they do is take off 6.5% off their cost price and vat. I.e. €121.50 camera will now be €115 euro camera.

I definitley don't feel offended by that ad, the only flag being desecrated is the british flag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

PICS OR GTFO

• Advertisement

dudara wrote: »
    Not a Consumer Issue - moved to After Hours

dudara

you gotta stop doing this

Advertisement