Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thanks button? What about No Thanks?

Options
  • 14-11-2009 12:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭

I quite like the 'Thanks' button and use it frequently. What I would also like to see is its opposite, why you ask? Well I've banned myself from certain forums, rather than receive an infraction/ban because Im not a very effective communicator and have on occasion voiced my opinion which has caused some bad feelings with other users/mods. With an anti-thanks button I could voice my disapproval without causing any offence. What about it Boards? Can we have a 'No Thanks' button?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

It has been asked for before.
    It's not going to happen.
    Too many negative connotations attached to it.

It will just end up with bitching and sniping and nobody wants that.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,033 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Just use the thanks button sarcastically

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

lol brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 81,694 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Offy wrote: »
    I quite like the 'Thanks' button and use it frequently. What I would also like to see is its opposite, why you ask? Well I've banned myself from certain forums, rather than receive an infraction/ban because Im not a very effective communicator and have on occasion voiced my opinion which has caused some bad feelings with other users/mods. With an anti-thanks button I could voice my disapproval without causing any offence. What about it Boards? Can we have a 'No Thanks' button?
    You've been here since when?

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    You've been here since when?
    k? Where? Boards or feedback? I really dont understand the question.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

k? Where? Boards or feedback? I really dont understand the question.

He means that since the Thanks button was introduced, this has been suggested at least 5 times on feedback. Obviously if you don't look in feedback much you won't have known that, but that is what he is trying to say.

More than that. After Hours, Help Desk, Newbies, Feedback, etc etc and it pops up in other forums too. Just about every other week, theres another thread or a comment/post somewhere on the site somewhere asking about a No Thanks feature.

Now if you dont read too many forums, or very often, its easy to miss. But what can I say: I heart this kip.

Anyway, all it is is Negative Reinforcement. And Negative. And Negative is bad. I've seen Karma Wars breakout on other websites from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

That's karma, they tried that years ago and it didn't work :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

OP, the thanks button diminishes reams of responses in appreciation of a good/funny post. Examples of such responses are "+1", "LOL", "Brilliant!", smileys etc - no harm the odd time of course, but when there are pages of them, it clogs up the thread.

Whereas when you disagree with/object to a post, you'll tend to explain why rather than just saying "I disagree".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

I disagree ;)

It's easier to one click a response, be it for or against, but while the thanks button does have some negative attributes (the late unlamented practise of buddies, or SOs clicking one another into a perceived higher realm in here, mar shampla), getting a virtual plus one to your post doesn't tend to cause issues too often. On the other hand, if someone could neg-click your post, you'd be quite likely (and perhaps justified sometimes) to ask why, within the thread. It would be a negative bearing on the thread based on a lazy dismissal of it by the other person. Human nature really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Somtimes the thanks button can be over used /abused but at least it's a positive rather than a negative .Not repling at all is the best 'No thanks' of all .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

No thanks will have the affect of setting in stone ideological positions, and annoying people who will then no-thanks the people who no-thanked them.

Thus an arms race will develop. Even in terms of UI it will be appalling, a big list of Thanks and No-Thanks for every controversial opinion, or second post.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Interesting that this post has been thanked a few times :pac:

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Interesting that this post has been thanked a few times :pac:
    Its simply brilliant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Finding it hard to post up a response without going into a rant about the reasoning as to why I don't like the idea.

Let's just pretend I'm clicking the "No Thanks" button to this thread and not replying to it at all.
    You could have actually not replied at all. I suppose someone has to be snide to the OP for making an innocent suggestion though - it is Feedback after all. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

/views all future thanks received with suspicion emot-tinfoil.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

ya i'd like a "no thanks" button OP...So I could use it on your post

callaway92 wrote: »
    ya i'd like a "no thanks" button OP...So I could use it on your post
    So your in favour of the idea, thanks I'll take that as +1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Just, like, you know, try and think up of things by yourself to say back and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Theres enough negativity in the world today.

Its nice to be nice.

If your really dislike what somebody said, use the quote button and reply "I really disagree with your opinion"

They'll get the hint

..or do as pighead does - make a fool of them withouting making it seem as a personal insult

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

*used*

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Dudess wrote: »
    OP, the thanks button diminishes reams of responses in appreciation of a good/funny post. Examples of such responses are "+1", "LOL", "Brilliant!", smileys etc - no harm the odd time of course, but when there are pages of them, it clogs up the thread.

Whereas when you disagree with/object to a post, you'll tend to explain why rather than just saying "I disagree".

+1

I also think this is a good reason why posts containing the forever arseholic smiley; :rolleyes: or facepalm without definition of why should be clamped down on. Nothing but unproductive troll material, imo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

WindSock wrote: »
    +1

I also think this is a good reason why posts containing the forever arseholic smiley; :rolleyes: or facepalm without definition of why should be clamped down on. Nothing but unproductive troll material, imo.
    :rolleyes:

*sorry, it was inevitable, I actually agree :D*

Steve wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

*sorry, it was inevitable, I actually agree :D*

100_1889crop.jpg

+1

I think anyone who wants to infringe on the rights of rolleyes doesnt remember what happened the last time :rolleyes:

I think anyone who wants to infringe on the rights of rolleyes doesnt remember what happened the last time :rolleyes:

What happened last time? Was that Uni-Eye?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

:p
    Ay, fight and you may die, run and you'll live. At least a while. And dying in your beds many years from now, would you be willing to trade all the days from this day to that for one chance, just one chance to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives, but they'll never take our rolleyes. :D

• Advertisement

Rolleyam did preach something along those lines didnt he :pac:

Advertisement