Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open DNS for netopia 3347NWG

Options
  • 24-02-2009 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,569 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone could help me as i am trying to configure openDNS for the router on the title banner on an eircom line. However, I can't find the option on the routers page anywhere in any of the options. Has anyone else had this problem? Is it embedded in the firmware of the router? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Isaac702

Im not entirely sure what you mean by "on the title banner" however this is how you go about setting up OpenDNS on a Netopia 3347NWG.

Go to your router IP address (usually 192.168.1.254) in a internet browser.
    Click Expert Mode in the left hand menu. Then click on "Yes, enter expert mode".
    Click on Configure in the left hand menu and then click Connection in the list that appears.
    On this page you get a area to type in the Primary and Secondary DNS Addresses. This is where you type in OpenDNS's DNS Addresses (208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.22).
    You then click Save Changes and restart the router.
    You should now be on OpenDNS's DNS Servers. If you want to go back to using Eircom's again simply remove OpenDNS's IP Addresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,569 ✭✭✭✭briany

Thank you sir!!:D And what i meant by banner title was basically the model mentioned in the thread title........it was hastily typed......

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭personguy

Isaac702 wrote: »
    ...This is where you type in OpenDNS's DNS Addresses (208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.22).

i think you meant to add a 0 at the end of that second entry (208.67.220.220)
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I don't know how many users are aware of it - I only discovered it yesterday - but those routers have even more 'expert' functions whose access are limited to a Command Line Interface (telnet or such).
    I set mine up with Dyndns.org yesterday using the CLi.
    An updated firmware may be needed.

Just a FYI. :)

I don't know how many users are aware of it - I only discovered it yesterday - but those routers have even more 'expert' functions whose access are limited to a Command Line Interface (telnet or such).
    I set mine up with Dyndns.org yesterday using the CLi.
    An updated firmware may be needed.

Just a FYI. :)
    And I would hazzard a guess that most users wouldn't know of a further advanced configuration by typing "magic" in the CLI. Just don't mess with any of the configuration options if you have this enabled (Unless of course you know what they do).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

On my 3347 with firmware 7.8.0 (build r7) i get this when I type magic:
    Netopia-3000/17648540> magic
     (poof!)

hmm...they've copped on to us!

What does the magic command do anyway?

Dardania wrote: »
    It unlocks the the developer settings and diagnostic modes. To get a full list of the commands type help. You can then compare this list to the one without the magic command used.

Personally I have not found to much of a use for this mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭ainiseoir

Dardania wrote: »
    On my 3347 with firmware 7.8.0 (build r7) i get this when I type magic:
    Netopia-3000/17648540> magic
     (poof!)

hmm...they've copped on to us!

How did you manage to get firmware 7.8.0 on your 3347?
    I presume you've got the 3347NWG-EIR.
    I was within a hair's breadth of getting a new router until I changed my default channel back to 7 and all came good again.
    Did it come with it?
    I got as far as 7.5.0 and the signposts disappeared!
    I've got myself a new iPod touch and "Update your router firmware" seems to be the order of the day.
    Thank you.

Router Information
    Router Name
    Netopia
    Model
    3347NWG

Software Version
    7.6.0r3
    Warranty Date
    11/3/2005

Just FYI ...... I don't seem to be able to get a newer firmware.

EDIT
    Just changed to 7.6.0r8 .... Thanks for the reminder .... I got it here so hope it is good
    http://www.fastaccess.drivers.bellsouth.net/#cayman

Thank you.
    I'm not sure if eircom's old stuff is up to this.
    Would like to know how you get on with that last update.

• Advertisement

The latest version of the Netopia firmware that can run on the 3347NWG is 7.8.0r7. This version is currently being distributed by Swisscom.

You can download it here.

You will need to disable "Autosensing PPPoE/DHCP" though as this does not work correctly.

I have been using it without issues (less the one on the line above) for the last few months.

Thanks for that.
    I'll have a little think about that.
    It would be nice to get an OK from Ballcock and Brown before diving in.
    it might finally get me to buy a new modem/router!

Thank you.
    I'll have a little think about that.
    I wonder what the Swiss have that we don't?
    Proper banks of course, for one thing, but what's that got to do with eircom broadband?

Bingo!
    It certainly looks well.
    Just as well you told me about the Autosensing PPoE/DHCP, it could have made for a long night!
    Nice to know you have been using it uneventfully for some months.
    I have recently added OpenDNS to the mix, I wondered how it would take it, all OK.
    I run a MAC to add to the tension.

I have found nwta781r2.
    I would like your opinion on whether it's worth a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭hedgeh0g

Is open dns quicker than eircoms dns?

ainiseoir wrote: »
    I have found nwta781r2.
    I would like your opinion on whether it's worth a go.
    The nwta firmwares will not install on the 3347NWG as they are compiled for a different architecture. It will work on the 3347-02 if you have on of those.

The NWG firmwares always start with nta.

As I dont have a 3347-02 I dont know if it runs well on it or not.

Hard to say.
    Things are certainly tripping along nicely.
    Maybe more apparent than real. Still, a bigger outfit than eircom, I suppose.
    I did a firmware upgrade of my router at the same time as going for OpenDNS.
    Glad that I had any connection after that! There's another update available, still sniffing around it. Maybe after a few beers, big decisions best made that way.
    One has to wonder what the end-game is with OpenDNS, especially the free version, no free lunches etc.,
    Still, easy to hook up and just as easy to get out of it.

Isaac702 wrote: »
    The nwta firmwares will not install on the 3347NWG as they are compiled for a different architecture. It will work on the 3347-02 if you have on of those.

The NWG firmwares always start with nta.

As I dont have a 3347-02 I dont know if it runs well on it or not.

Close one!
    I didn't notice the "w".
    Thanks for getting back so fast, I probably would have tried it eventually.:eek:

I had to contact the gurus recently re an apparent drop in connection speed.
    This include resetting the modem and restarting.
    it stayed churning for some time with the auto-sensing bit, finally digested it.
    So it works fine with that facility enabled.The significance of that is beyong me.
    i have disabled the wireless and my Time Capsule is now the router, which seems to have improved the function of my iPod no end.
    My problem seemed to be due to my Sky+ setup, added a filter and all is well.

• Advertisement

ainiseoir wrote: »
    I had to contact the gurus recently re an apparent drop in connection speed.
    This include resetting the modem and restarting.
    it stayed churning for some time with the auto-sensing bit, finally digested it.
    So it works fine with that facility enabled.The significance of that is beyong me.
    i have disabled the wireless and my Time Capsule is now the router, which seems to have improved the function of my iPod no end.
    My problem seemed to be due to my Sky+ setup, added a filter and all is well.

I tried the 780r7 but it killed my wireless and had to back down to 760r8 again.

I did not disable the auto-sensing and after a little time got connected OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 edtrvl

Just thought I'd let people know, I've upgraded to 7.8.0r7 as I have a 3347NWG and no problems whatsoever, it works like a dream, thanks all ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Has anyone figured out how to reset the menus to the original Netopia design? I have found in various forums that Caymen and BellSouth have the same setup - the same hardware and their own custom menus - and both have been hacked and reset to default Netopia menus. The original menu system has a much fuller list of options (i.e. DynDNS, etc.). Sure, you can telnet directly to the device and configure these, but thought it would be nice if we could use the default GUI instead.

I tried the method outlined for BellSouth, logging in via telnet and turning off the autoconfig, but that didn't help. I'm wondering if there is another option hidden somewhere or something we can flash with a new setup of menus.

Using telnet on this router appears to give admin access, but I think, contrary to what it says, that full R/W access is not granted.
    It is noticeable that entering the command magic gives a different prompt which implies I am now in the real admin/root mode.
    That seems to give me access to the DynDNS settings .... just the one option here (dyndns.org) and the host name, user name and password settings.
    Netopia-3000/20582920> magic
    (poof!)
    Netopia-3000/20582920#
    {note different prompt}

Netopia-3000/20582920# config

Config Mode v1.3
    Netopia-3000/20582920 (top)>> ? dynamic-dns
    Help for: dynamic-dns
    dynamic-dns -- Dynamic DNS client
    option -- Dynamic DNS client on/off
    ddns-host-name -- Dynamic DNS host name
    ddns-user-name -- Dynamic DNS user name
    ddns-user-password -- Dynamic DNS user password

Some of the options .....

It seems this allowed me to set up the Dynamic DNS albeit without a GUI .....

Thanks to those who supplied the info in this thread.
    The command (after using config above) is
    set dynamic-dns
    and supply the info as prompted.

regards.

Would anyone care to comment about the following entries in the config view output of the router?
    heartbeat
    option on
    protocol udp
    port-client 8081
    ip-server "83.71.139.241"
    remote-mgmt
    telnet-enable on
    web-enable on
    snmp-enable on
    network-1 83.71.139.240
    netmask-1 255.255.255.240

It implies to me that Eircom can access the router settings at will ..... am I interpreting this correctly?

regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

yes it looks like they can pull stats and all configs from the router.
    I don’t think they are proactively monitoring each router as they would mean that their central management server would be logging 1000’s and 1000’s of routers. But it’s good for troubleshooting.

So you report a problem and they see changes you made yourself. They can even refuse to support it if IOS is different to “official” but generally they would just flash your router with their standard firmware and take it from there.

yes it looks like they can pull stats and all configs from the router.
    I don’t think they are proactively monitoring each router as they would mean that their central management server would be logging 1000’s and 1000’s of routers. But it’s good for troubleshooting.

So you report a problem and they see changes you made yourself. They can even refuse to support it if IOS is different to “official” but generally they would just flash your router with their standard firmware and take it from there.
    Does that mean that they notice if one has gone over to OpenDNS for example?
    If so, should it bother them?
    It's one of the reasons I've hung on to my old 3347NWG, its configurable.
    Cheers,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

They dont care if you use OpenDNS. Less workload on their DNS server. :D

They dont care if you use OpenDNS. Less workload on their DNS server. :D

Thank you.
    Seems fair enough, especially after that DNS scare last year.
    I feel happier with a bigger outfit for that reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

Hi, I know this an old thread but looking for help with this router. It is configured for eircom but I want to use it with vodafone, any ideas ??

Advertisement