Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power kites - what kite have you got?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Randyaster

No I wasn't on dollymount, I was in a big park in Leixlip. There was nobody around really other than a few dog walkers. I was going to head out to dollymount but I was worried about being flown out to sea, which would of happened. I'll get used to the kite before I go out where people can see me.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭KoNiT

I've a beemer III 3.6, didn't take it our yesterday.. had it out today, very light wind.. lulls you into a false sense of security when the big wind is on!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Simius Puer

I've got a 3m Flexifoil Blade III which is has beautiful handling bit is a bit of a unpredicatable beast...apparantly the mark IV has got the power and handling right and I'm saving up for one :)

Also have a fixed-wing stacker for when the wind is just too much for a big kite.

Also flown Flexifoil Sting (fun but not as much fun as the traction kites), Rage (great handling but just not really fun...can't pinpoint why) and Blurr (fun). Tried a few af the beamers and the handling is just dire by comparison. Ozone on the other hand seemed pretty good but I didn't get to fly much (made a friend on the last day of a holiday in Cornwall).

Want to kitesurf but I've terrible vision without glasses/contacts so saving for laser surgery...how's that for dedication? lol

Any other flyers here based in Galway?

I'm in Mayo -

Might have seen you flying in Grattan Park / Salthill?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Simius Puer

Grattan Park is a little small. I normally fly at South Park (aka the bog) or on one of the beaches if the tideis right and there are not too many people around.

If you see a 3m black and silver Blade III (some guy in the area has the 4m one), often accompanied by a blue and white Sting that's most likely me.

Alyways happy to meet new people who fly or want to fly so if you see me feel free to pop over and say hi!

• Advertisement

I'll do that - I'll let ya know the next time I'm up in Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭domcq

Great to see there are so many kiters out and about.

I met an airline pilot for Aerlingus recently who built his own power kite (2m I think he said). He ordered the material over the internet from the states and stitched the whole thing up himself - I think he just set the bar for a kite enthusiast :eek:

Another good website for kites is this UK website
    http://www.thewindfarm.co.uk/menu/mmenu/sportskites/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Micky4103

Hi Guys,

My and my brother bought our first kites in 2000... a Blade II (3m) and a Blade I (4.9m).
    we fly whenever we get the chance, at the start it was every weekend, but as time went by and moved to Ireland, it only happens about three times a year.
    They are great fun, but u should always get a few lessons before your first flight. especially with the 4,9m in strong winds. I got two 1hr sessions from the shop owner when i bought my kites at (Wind & Surf in Monkstown, don't know if the shop is still open)

After getting used to the kites, I bought a buggy, cause i like the beach but not a big fan of getting wet in the weather here. Sandymount (south dublin) is a great spot for space, but unfortunately it gets very crowded when the weather is good. Silver strand (portmarnock) is a good spot as well, although i have never seen any other big kites about other than mine.

Highest jump was about 8ft high and 10ft long over a parked Toyota landcruiser. Longest slide (bare feet) was about 80ft, although i ended up with some bad cuts from sea shells and rocks etc. Never tried flying on hard ground, and sometimes these kites take no mercy.

Either way, its an awesome sport, my only recommendation is to always go in pairs, as then you can swap for rests, and help untangle the lines :).

I tried different kite brands , but nothing compared to Flexifoil, and look forward to try the new flexifoil kites such as RAGE and BLURR or even the Blade V.

Regards,
    Mick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Hi All

Looking for a bit of advice here. I'm thinking of buying a kite for some land based fun. I've never done this kind of thing before and don't know anyone who has.

I've been looking at beginner kites and come up with the HQ Rush III 300 as a good place to start. Here's a link to the kite.

http://www.kiteshop.co.uk/xcart/kites/power-kites/2-line-power-kites/hq-rush-iii-300_p1479.html

What do you experienced kiters think? Is it a good place to start or are there better kites out there for similar money?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Randyaster

amcalester wrote: »
    Hi All

Looking for a bit of advice here. I'm thinking of buying a kite for some land based fun. I've never done this kind of thing before and don't know anyone who has.

I've been looking at beginner kites and come up with the HQ Rush III 300 as a good place to start. Here's a link to the kite.

http://www.kiteshop.co.uk/xcart/kites/power-kites/2-line-power-kites/hq-rush-iii-300_p1479.html

What do you experienced kiters think? Is it a good place to start or are there better kites out there for similar money?

Thanks.

Hi there,
    The first powerkite I bought was a HQ Beamer 4. I didnt have a clue how to use them but I bought it because the trainer kite was only €50 cheaper so I basically skipped the trainer kite in order to save money. I have been thrown across fields, dragged the length of 2 football pitches on my stomach and I've just generally taken a beating from that thing because I didnt bother with the trainer kite. I'm use to flying it now though but what I'd reccomend is try finding a second hand one first rather than splashing out on a brand spanker that way if you dont like it you havent lost out on much.

• Advertisement

amcalester wrote: »
    Hi All

Thanks.

A two line kite of that size is probably a good place to start. I've never used a two line kite before so I'm not sure how they handle. The first kite I ever used was a 3 mtr Radsail 4 line kite. I know that with the brake lines you have alot of control over the kite (you can untwist the lines mid air very quickly).

Mybe somebody else on here can comment on control differences between 2 and 4 line kites. Personally, I love the Radsails and think a 3 mtr 4 line Radsail would be a good start (But I am biased as my current kite is 4 mtr Radsail).

Happy Kiting

Randyaster wrote: »
    Hi there,
    The first powerkite I bought was a HQ Beamer 4. I didnt have a clue how to use them but I bought it because the trainer kite was only €50 cheaper so I basically skipped the trainer kite in order to save money. I have been thrown across fields, dragged the length of 2 football pitches on my stomach and I've just generally taken a beating from that thing because I didnt bother with the trainer kite. I'm use to flying it now though but what I'd reccomend is try finding a second hand one first rather than splashing out on a brand spanker that way if you dont like it you havent lost out on much.

A friend of mine bought a 6m Beamer and had a similar experience. The traction on launching it pulls you off your feet and the control in the air is beyond a beginners experience. I've had my 4 mtr Radsail for a few years and had it out in all sorts and I was quite frightened by his Beamer.

He's since lost interest in kiting. If that had been my first kite I'd probably have tired of the grass burns too!

With that siad, I bought a buggy a few weeks ago and I'm going to try out his Beamer with it as the traction might be just what's needed - There's a kite for all occasions ;).

Advertisement