Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs/clubs/eats/fun things/links

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭dinneenp

If you have a big group on a night out phone Halo and they'll let you skip the queue and get a section in the VIP area for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Outside Galway are three islands called the Aran Islands. You can travel quite easily to the biggest, Inishmore, by bus from the city and then ferry from Rossaveal.

There are several companies offering transport but the ones I've used are www.arandirect.com

Aran_Islands-3.PNG
    na_seacht_dteampaill_inishmore_4.jpg
    1082915-Dun_Aenghus_photo_Dirk_Driesmans-Inishmore.jpg

Parks, Recreation and Open Spaces
    Public Walk Ways
    Playgrounds
    Beaches
    Sports

http://www.galwaycity.ie/AllServices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 aurora-borealis

Love the market, Sunday is best.
    Bow waves sailing, highly recommended and so is Killary adventure centre is connamara.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 oranmoregal

hi,
    Useful website for parents and kids either living in or visiting Galway, www.mykidstime.ie

www.corribprincess.ie

Boat that goes between the city (close to the catherdal) and does up river cruises for the duration of 1.5 hours. Has bar.

Looking for buses, bus schedules etcetera?

www.GalwayTransport.info
    Thanks to JustMary

Where to look for accommodation:
    Advertiser
    Daft

Street index

Forum for your school
    NUIG
    GMIT

If you have just moved to Galway you can use the Map Based City Guide to help you find Services and Facilities such as Playgrounds, Sports Areas and Bring Banks in your area.

Parking Permits
    The City Council issues different types of permits to facilitate people who are ‘Residents’ of Pay and Display Areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Dave Joyce

Just thought I'd two more places for activities in Galway. Our own martial arts/fitness studio www.seama-academy.org Beginners welcome in any/all of our classes.

Also, there is www.g-tac.eu which is an excellent indoor airsoft site. €20 for two hours play and its great craic. You don't have to have an airsoft gun as they do rentals too:cool:.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Just posting about the swing/rock and roll/jazz dance classes..many of the courses and classes are starting up this evening. I'm a long time fan but after a hiatus I'm thinking of taking it up again tonight. It's great fun, you keep fit and you don't need a partner as everyone rotates. Here's the linky...let me know if there's any takers too!

http://www.galwayswing.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Aunteen and Uncleen woods in Merlin park, Renmore is one of our secret little parks that folk don't seem to know about. There's a cool crater there that was made by a WW1 British battle ship during the 1916 rising I think.

Also gymnastics in Renmore, starting back up in late September. You don't have to be any good or anything.

Free concerts in the city Library, with contempo, first Tuesday (lunchtime) of the month, throughout Winter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 GalwaySubAqua

Galway sub aqua club is one of most established Sub aqua clubs in the country with a wealth of diving experience and impressive facilities.

We also train our club members as search and recovery divers to assist in body searches and recoveries across the local region.

Interested parties can visit our website www.galwaysubaquaclub.com

On a sunny day, drive out to Renville Park outside Oranmore, just before Renville Village
    There's a large picnic lawn and a big playground. Also a couple walks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 emermacd

Check out [my] new website www.4thecraic.com they organise loads of different events all around Galway.
    At last someone is doing something to bring everyone together doing loads of different types of things - not just getting drunk. Days out as well as Nights out - excellent idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Shanley

Cuba Weekender this weekend is the most fun thing that has been in town in a while, www.cuba.ie for more info! Seems to be great line-ups at not too expensive prices!

Also, Goldie is playing GPO this Sat for only €5 before 12:30!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Galway city museum, check out their free events too (it's free admission)

Aunteen and Uncleen woods in Merlin, they have a huge crater in them from a ww1 battleship that was in the bay shelling rebels during 1916 rising

Contempos free monthly concerts in the library, usually the first tuesday of the month @ 1pm (yes, that means tomorrow from the date of this post)

You can bin your gym membership, Doughiska has a running track with a training circut (directions on how to use the equipment are beside each circut):D

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭tonyhiggins

Galway Jazz Club is upstairs in Kellys tonight at 9pm...

Galway Market www.galwaymarket.net
    Galway's famous bustling market has been trading in Church lane by St Nicholas' Church in the centre of the city for centuries.
    The market is open Saturdays and Bank Holidays from 8.00am to 6.00pm and Sundays 2.00 to 6.00.

www.brigitsgarden.ie
    Brigits Garden is a fantastic garden in Roscahill, County Galway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Just letting ye know that Galway Swing have lots of new classes starting, drop ins in the city and routines for those dancing a bit..Lindy hop, Six beat, Charleston and some Balboa I think..had Rock and Roll/Boogie Woogie last year but not sure if that is going ahead still...anyways:

check the linky in my sig for more. :D
    23fdc29c.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 galwaygal09

http://www.enjoyfreetoday.com free things to see and do in Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Tedfest Week (and a half..?) starts this Thursday on Inis Mór - woo hoo!

I am fairly sure the first weekend is sold out but there is a ton of Ted related stuff happening in town at places like Róisin Dubh's and Massimo (pub quizzes, lovely girls competition, Ted comedy night, etc). google for details.

Then the following weekend the Festival continues on Inis Oirr.
    Some tickets still left as a friend just bought two. ALWAYS great fun. tedfest.org has more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭ceatharloch

Nice venue for traditional irish music is The Western Hotel, session thursday nights
    & also some other nights of the week, see myspace.com/tradgalway or
    www.thewestern.ie or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-rFKdg61s4:)
    For the last few weeks, a Barber Shop Quartet meets also on Thursday evenings, and
    normally sings some numbers between the tunes. So for a capella vocal harmonies and west
    kerry polkas - the Western Hotel on Thursday nights.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement