Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless 3 Broadband Advice

Options
  • 10-04-2009 9:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭

Hi All. I'm doing some research for my sons best friend. Where they live in Co Fermanagh they cannot get broadband on their telephone line as the line is too long. I've been doing some research and can see that there is a possibility that they could get wireless broadband from 3. They live a few mile from the monaghan border in the north, the 3 coverage map shows coverage out doors.

Am I being realistic in thinking that this might be a possible way to get them broadband? I understand that the account would have to be to a southern address etc, thats no problem at all. I expect that we would be looking at using an external antenna etc if this was at all possible.

So really is there any point in me looking into this option, maybe finding someone with a 3 account already so that I can test etc?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

theres a whole thread on this on reasons not too

;)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055115306

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

Not sure what you mean? You saying its more trouble than its worth? More trouble than no broadband at all? Sorry see your link now. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

:( Thought there may have been some hope. Any other wireless networks we might have a chance of using?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

the only advantage i can see with them in your sinario if you were using it in NI you can use it roaming on the '3 UK' network as if you were at home, ie, not pay any extra, 02 and vodafone will charge you a fortune for roaming, have you looked at any of the UK mobile networks

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

There are REAL wireless Broadband, it uses an aerial or radio fixed to outdoor of house and then you can have an indoor WiFi adaptor if you need it "wireless" to PC /Laptop.

The 3, O2, Vodaphone and Meteor systems are not Wireless Broadband. They are Phone networks, Mobile Internet, though they misleadingly advertise as Mobile Broadband. These are for people that want Mobility. Sometimes it can be Broadband speed, other times dialup speed or no connection.

True Wireless Broadband uses outdoor radio/Aerial wired to a box (modem) in the house. It's always available and can be as good as DSL (phone wire Broadband) or UPC(NTL/Chorus) Cable Broadband.

• Advertisement
Advertisement