Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

911 Porsche

Options
  • 19-11-2008 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭

Ever since I was a kid watching films in the 80's I have always wanted a 911, I have been looking over in the UK at some classic car websites and have found what looks to be a good example of a mid 80's 911 for about £10k.

Currently i'm only named on the other half insurance and the car will be drived and covered and used as a weekend runner.

Now my questions :

What age does the car need to be to put it on classic ?
    Will there be a huge road tax bill each year ?
    will I be liable for VRT ?
    Do all insurance companies need you to have insurance on one other car i.e the classic ins't the main car ?
    Would 10k's worth of mid 80's Porsche buy me anything but trouble ?

As you can see i'm looking for some basic knowledge to see if owning a classic 911 is even possible before I take it any further.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I'll bite!
    Smoggy wrote: »

20 yrs old is usually the timeframe.

Yes!

Yes!

Do all insurance companies need you to have insurance on one other car i.e the classic ins't the main car ?

Yes - if you are to get proper classic insurance. You *might* get away with named driver on a "partners" car. You'd probably need to be cohabiting though.

I'll let someone else answer that. :)
    Get VRT and insurance quotes before you do anything that involves money!
    Maybe pick a random £10k porsche and make the calls.

You could save a chunk of cash in VRT and annual tax by restricting your search to pre-1979 cars (i.e. 30+ yr old)...

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Ever since I was a kid watching films in the 80's I have always wanted a 911, I have been looking over in the UK at some classic car websites and have found what looks to be a good example of a mid 80's 911 for about £10k.

Currently i'm only named on the other half insurance and the car will be drived and covered and used as a weekend runner.

Now my questions :

As you can see i'm looking for some basic knowledge to see if owning a classic 911 is even possible before I take it any further.

BTDT........:rolleyes:

15yrs for Classic insurance, 30yrs for Classic tax
    less than 30yrs, yes (Eur 1390 p.a.), more than 30, no (Eur42 p.a.)
    Yes
    Yes
    10k gets you........10k of trouble. That's because it's a 911. A 911 of that price could - could - add another 10k in a very short period, if it's not a good one.....in which case, it wouldn't be 10k........
    Waterpumpers (924/928/944/968) are infinately less stressful to own - that's why I changed from 911 to 968.

I can't possibly see how you'll get a good 911 for 10k.

If you're going to be doing a lot of short runs in a 911, the engine won't last long - there's 13litres of it to warm up, and that'll take.........20 miles ?.....and that's the issue. Short hops kill it, and top end wear. Clutches last about 50k.

[edit: sorry, just see you say 10k sterling - not same as 10k Eur, obviously. Remember, Porsches are valued by VRO Rosslare under a 'collectable and classic' scheme (!)....and they do keep adjusting values. I got quoted X for my 968, and 6 weeks later, when I'd got it, it had gone up..........]

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

Thanks for the replies.

What i'm getting from the above is :

Get a pre 79 car.
    Expect a pile of heart ache and bills for 10k sterling.

Is that a fair summary ? As if thats the case it looks like I need to save up some more cash or to drop the idea.

Anan1 :- Beautiful looking car, out of my price range - sorry

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

galwaytt wrote: »
    more than 30, no (Eur42 p.a.)

Let's get over this illusion of no VRT on a car aged 30 or over. There is VRT (category C), but it's a flat rate €50. ;)

VRT on something like that under 30 years old will most likely be 36% based on OMSP.

And while we're at it, let's get the motor tax rates correct.

Motor tax rate for vehicles under 30 years old and 3001cc or more vehicles is €1491 (€1566 from 01/01/2009)

Motor tax rate for "vintage" vehicles is €46, but is set to increase on the 1st January 2009 to €48.

The rest of the motor tax rate increases can be found HERE (PDF) (Adobe Acrobat Reader required) Any motors 2.5l and under sees a 4% increase and those over see a 5% increase.

Given that huge divide, like others, I suggest a 30+ year old motor. :cool:

• Advertisement

macplaxton wrote: »
    Let's get over this illusion of no VRT on a car aged 30 or over. There is VRT (category C), but it's a flat rate €50. ;)

VRT on something like that under 30 years old will most likely be 36% based on OMSP.

And while we're at it, let's get the motor tax rates correct.

Motor tax rate for vehicles under 30 years old and 3001cc or more vehicles is €1491 (€1566 from 01/01/2009)

Motor tax rate for "vintage" vehicles is €46, but is set to increase on the 1st January 2009 to €48.

The rest of the motor tax rate increases can be found HERE (PDF) (Adobe Acrobat Reader required) Any motors 2.5l and under sees a 4% increase and those over see a 5% increase.

Given that huge divide, like others, I suggest a 30+ year old motor. :cool:

Well until you import a Porsche - or more than one - you're going to have pull in the horns and listen to someone who has.

The answer of mine you highlighted is related to Car tax - not VRT - so unless you're making a big deal of 42 vs 48 Euro.....

And, remember, OSP of a C2 is around 140k. Do the math. Whether on a sliding scale, or other 'cherished' scale, you're going to pay through the nose for a sub-30 yr old one.

Now, OP, I see you say Anan's one is outside your budget. It's cheaper than your theoretical 10k Stg, once the VRT is paid, believe me.

My 968, a car valued by most as a lot cheaper than a 911, cost 3.8k in VRT this year. So, taking your 10k Stg 911 @ 12000 Eur, add 3k VRT, and costs to get, etc, then.......

More, here on Irish cars.. Porsche Club Ireland

Look at it this way, I got BOTH of these for a bit more than the price of my old 87 911

Insurance is the same, running cost miles apart. 968 as cheap to run as a big Audi. Oh, and has PAS, as well.......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

I think I have decided that a pre 79 is the only way to go, a Porsche isn't the option, it's a 911 or nothing. My childhood dream has little compromise :)

All I need to know is will £10k or €12k in the UK buy me nothing worth having or a reasonable drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Do it, you only live once.
    I have had mine 3 years (74 carrera), 20k miles. It is brilliant fun and even if I sell it for nothing it has cost me less than one years depreciation on my other car.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,056 ✭✭✭✭unkel

@OP - as for your question about insurance, I'm on classic insurance (€380) on my daily driver, a '86 928 and I am only a named driver on my wife's car

My full NCB is sitting on the fence unused at the moment :eek:

Motor tax on a big engined 80s car or later is of course an issue. But even at the highest rate, it is only a fraction of what a modern crappy econobox depreciates per year. After all we are talking depreciation free cars here!
    Now, OP, I see you say Anan's one is outside your budget. It's cheaper than your theoretical 10k Stg, once the VRT is paid, believe me.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 29 zai800

I bought an early 911SC (1977) in the UK about a year ago for less than 10K sterling and use it mostly as a weekend car. I would recommend a 30+ year old one as it has negligible depreciation , VRT and Motor Tax. However I would recommend extreme caution when purchasing as a problem one can be expensive to sort especially if you are not able to do the work yourself.

• Advertisement

I think I have decided that a pre 79 is the only way to go, a Porsche isn't the option, it's a 911 or nothing. My childhood dream has little compromise :)

All I need to know is will £10k or €12k in the UK buy me nothing worth having or a reasonable drive.

10k will get you a reasonable drive. Add in Sterling etc, getting it, and inspection costs (I wouldn't dream of buying without one), and it's no longer 10k, so I think you need to quantify that, now. When you do that math, have a look in this market too - it's a fact, that a huge amount of the Porsches - most, probably ! - are ex-UK anyway, so one that's already here is essentially the same thing. And not all of them are VRT'd yet.........

Tip - Wales, and the North of England is cheaper than the South East.

Ode To The Motorist

Thanks for all the info. It sounds positive that I can get a reasonable runner for the money I have. Im in no rush especially as the Euro to Sterling exchange rate seems to be getting me more for my money on a weekly basis.

Time to keep my eye out on Uk sites - does anyone have any recommendations ?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

The answer of mine you highlighted is related to Car tax - not VRT - so unless you're making a big deal of 42 vs 48 Euro.....

Re-read post and apologise for misinterpreting the "no" bit. I not making a big deal about the 14.2% difference. :o

macplaxton wrote: »
    Re-read post and apologise for misinterpreting the "no" bit. I not making a big deal about the 14.2% difference. :o

thought as much - cool :)

btw - I went and bought a bunch of DVD's for myself last Christmas (sad, I know...:rolleyes:). Grand Prix (w/James Garner - brilliant), but also Le Mans with Steve McQueen.

Cool, in a weird way. No dialogue at all, hardly, but the opening.....15 ?....mins are all Steve driving his (own), 911 to the race. Fascinating - the car looks fab - well worth a few bob for the library. Nice to see cars before they got..........too complicated. No spoilers, no wide wheels, sitting nice and high ('Irish Tarmac Spec is probably what we'd call it now ! :p ) etc etc. Sprinkling of chrome in the right place. Must have done more for Porsche 911 sales in the US then all the marketing campaigns put together.

Ode To The Motorist

Lastely, My place doesn't have a garage, I was thinking of parking any classic I get on the drive under a cover -is there any downsides to this over having it garaged ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭VanhireBoys

thought as much - cool :)

btw - I went and bought a bunch of DVD's for myself last Christmas (sad, I know...:rolleyes:). Grand Prix (w/James Garner - brilliant), but also Le Mans with Steve McQueen.

Cool, in a weird way. No dialogue at all, hardly, but the opening.....15 ?....mins are all Steve driving his (own), 911 to the race. Fascinating - the car looks fab - well worth a few bob for the library. Nice to see cars before they got..........too complicated. No spoilers, no wide wheels, sitting nice and high ('Irish Tarmac Spec is probably what we'd call it now ! :p ) etc etc. Sprinkling of chrome in the right place. Must have done more for Porsche 911 sales in the US then all the marketing campaigns put together.

That 911 was McQueens own road car BTW. If you notice it was a US spec... I seen it featured on Discovery where Steve McQueens son was driving it. It still has only 40k miles and belongs to the family !;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

That 911 was McQueens own road car BTW. If you notice it was a US spec... I seen it featured on Discovery where Steve McQueens son was driving it. It still has only 40k miles and belongs to the family !;)

............yeah i saw that too. Pretty cool !

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭PaulK_CCI

This seems to be a common misconception, because Steve McQueen has owned a 69 911S (2.0 ltr) from new, and the car in the film is also a US spec "S" in the same colour as his own car, but it was in fact a 1970 2.2 litre 911S.

This car was purchased by Solar Productions in the US, for use in the film and for Steve to drive while in Europe. The car was later shipped to America, and subsequently sold.

Here is link to an article about the 911S used in the film:
    http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=126937

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭VanhireBoys

Well I stand corrected.....! What a gr8 story...! At least both cars still survive and both their furures are assured...!

A friend has a '74 911 in Yellow which is an original Irish reg. He done a full labour of love restoration on the car ! The car is absolutely fantastic...! There are very few original '70s Irish reg Posches left...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Dustpuppy

Have a customers 1973 Carrera RS in restore at the moment. :D
    But it's not for sale :(
    And i have a 1981 SC that is getting in bits to have parts for my 1973 VW Variant. Everybody can drive a 911, but driving a Squareback with a 911 underneed is better ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Dustpuppy wrote: »
    Everybody can drive a 911, but driving a Squareback with a 911 underneed is better ;)
    That sounds like fun alright!!

Anyway, bacl to the original question :)

"Lastely, My place doesn't have a garage, I was thinking of parking any classic I get on the drive under a cover -is there any downsides to this over having it garaged ?"

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭alpina

Here's my two cents on parking outside

Give it one all mercy full wax...fill with petrol, check sufficient coolant/oil level
    Spend a bit of money & get yourself a decent breathable cover & a trickle charger.
    Try & keep the four wheels up on a tile/slate, anything rather than letting it sit in pools of water days on end.
    Guess all depends how fussy you are going to be....& how many dry days we get, but every now & then remove cover, wash down & chamois, will take care of any built up moisture anyhow and don't be sparing with the WD-40/vaseline where ever appropriate, wont do any harm & will protect alot. Every couple of weeks give it a start & let run 10/15 minutes (keep an eye on coolant), play with any electrics etc etc to save seizing up...

Should be no problem storing under the cover as long as you maintain the car & cover, not walk away & uncover in ten years.

Anyway, bacl to the original question :)

"Lastely, My place doesn't have a garage, I was thinking of parking any classic I get on the drive under a cover -is there any downsides to this over having it garaged ?"
    Should be ok if the car's dry, but I wouldn't put a cover on a wet car.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I would suggest you drive lots of them first - get to know what your buying - most guys will tell you whats good on theirs thats normally wrong with other 911's - use this as a learning experience.

No classic is something you should jump into - classic exotica even more so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Anan1 wrote: »
    Should be ok if the car's dry, but I wouldn't put a cover on a wet car.

Try buy a breathable one - otherwise the car might sweat - not good - condensation = water = rust

alpina wrote: »
    Here's my two cents on parking outside

Give it one all mercy full wax...fill with petrol, check sufficient coolant/oil level...
    Coolant?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭alpina

Coolant - Antifreeze - Car parked outside - Frost...ice - Damage!

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Kevin_Herron

alpina wrote: »
    Coolant - Antifreeze - Car parked outside - Frost...ice - Damage!

If I was you I'd avoid putting water or coolant into it, it doesnt agree with them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭jay28

You would have to find where to put the coolant in first :D

Advertisement