Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where to buy a skipping rope in Dublin?

• 03-11-2008 1:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭

As the title suggests, where can I buy a skipping rope in Dubin, preferably in the city centre?

I know I could just use a bit of rope, but I previously had a commerical skipping rope and it was better than rope.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

Argos sells pretty crap ones, or you could walk up to mary st (end of henry st) to millets, on the far side of the road there is a boxing & martial arts shop, they have good skipping ropes! Wood handles, with plastic cable, cable is attached via metal parts so it has full easy fast rotation for fast skipping! It's what we generally use in my martial arts clubs. I got one of the argos ones before, it's too light!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Else, OK Sports in Rathmines or Mick Dowling's boxing shop in Terenure at the top of my head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Mullens on capel street. Any decent boxing gym will have them too. Bridgestone sell them for sure (link in my sig). They're up near smithfield. Gym doors open around 6.30pm Monday to Friday.
    jim o doom wrote: »
    or you could walk up to mary st (end of henry st) to millets, on the far side of the road there is a boxing & martial arts shop, they have good skipping ropes!

edit: That's Mullens. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 859 ✭✭✭BobbyOLeary

The ones in Mullens are very good, couldn't tell ya the price off the top of my head but they're not too dear. They sting like a b*stard if you get it wrong though, was skipping barefoot yesterday doing some sprints and I caught both my little toes on the rope. Ouch is all I can say about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Ouch is all I can say about it.

Yup. It takes both skill and balls to skip barefoot. Especially in winter.

You let your concentration slip for half a second....God damn that stings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

The ones in Mullens are very good, couldn't tell ya the price off the top of my head but they're not too dear. They sting like a b*stard if you get it wrong though, was skipping barefoot yesterday doing some sprints and I caught both my little toes on the rope. Ouch is all I can say about it.

They're the best you can get imo, and they're "tangle proof"! Mine was €15 about a year ago.

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    They're the best you can get imo, and they're "tangle proof"! Mine was €15 about a year ago.

Tangle proof? Not mine anyway! Left it curled up in my bag once and it found a mind of its own (like christmas decorations) and tied itself in knots. On the note of tangles, if mine gets messed up I leave it hanging on the vertical radiator in my house. The heat softens the plastic and the kinks just fall out, haven't seen any deterioration in the rope yet but I'll let you know if it snaps on my one day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Thanks lads, sounds perfect!

Quick question: do they make a lot of noise when they hit the ground? Basically my gym has a wooden floor and I don't want to be annoying people.

Cheers!

If the rope is hitting the ground excessively, i.e. its slapping the floor like mad every turn then you may need to shorten it a bit. I bought the rope in Mullen's and the length is fine for me, it lightly taps the floor every 2nd turn or so. I'm 5'11".

To check how long the rope should be, stand on the middle of the rope and pull up the handles with your left hand. Raise your right arm out to the side, the handles should come up to your shoulder for a beginner, mid chest for an intermediate and lower rib cage for advanced guys. Mine goes to just below my shoulder. To shorten it I just tie a knot just at either handle, I don't really want to cut it ya know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

The plastic rope with wood handle skipping ropes are fairly noisy alright - they can slap of the ground (or your poor toes if ur training barefoot:(). They also can make quite a lot of "wind" noise as well - you can skip very fast with these ones because the plastic rope has a bit of weight, but if you get it going fairly quick it makes a loud wooshing noise.. (from the rope cutting the air).. But nobody tends to be overly bothered about it - hell the noise might encourage other people to skip too, eh? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭stephenoleary

Picked up a rope in Mullens today, it's excellent - boards archives are the business :)

Advertisement