Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE suggests treaty is in trouble...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

:eek:

We already have monetary union, and that's destroying our competitiveness and driving inflation. The one-sized Franco-German shoe does not fit Ireland at all.

whats wrong with centralisation though? i mean a federal system works fine in terms of representation for Germany and the US, the small states dont get royally fecked over. if we were all part of the same nation then why would we have any interest in screwing each other over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

God you really are a bitter little person.
    You had all the support, the government, the opposition parties, the finances, the foreign support and you lost....tough

whats with the personal insult ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,165 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Pal wrote: »
    4 of the big 5 Irish bank stocks have fallen in the past hour.
    The currency has fallen one cent agains the dollar.
    The euro has fallen half a penny against the pound.
    Euro interest rates futures have risen 1/8%

This is real. Not semantic nonsense like the no posters on here are spouting on about. People peddled lies. Fact. We bought it.

Good news maybe through..........

YES vote reported coming in strong in Dublin

So anyone that voted NO is a fool and/or easily led by the No side.
    Maybe the Yes side should actually look at the reasons why lots of people did vote No, rather than displaying their condescending attitude and labelling us all as fools.
    Look at the rural vote, look at the vote from fishing communities.
    Are all these people fools being led by the nose by Libertas or SF ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭BMH

Oh my God, a whole cent and a half penny!!!

Hold on everyone!!!

*waits nervously*

What, we're still alive??? But how???

/Sarcasm
    Um, that's quite a drop for a 30 minute time interval if it's a confidence issue.

I contend that the NO campaign didn't tell the truth but rather they misrepresented the fact of the matter.

Yes, I am disappointed with the outcome but it is a democracy after all so I accept it.

I am not bitter as one suggests.

And the markets are falling on this result. That is a fact.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭johnnyq

You asked.
    I answered.
    sorry if you don't like the 'facts' you requested.

So long as you realise that your *opinions* are only those and give you NO right i.e. *facts* to condemn people.
    this is your now removed signature.
    One question for you...
    do you have a political affiliation ?
    Its somewhat disconcerting the approach you take.

I removed my sig because it is now in the past tense. I am in the process in designing a new one... be patient....

I am not in a political party, if you follow my posts you will see which party I usually support and NO it's not Sinn Fein.

Your motives for asking me this i'm sure are admirable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

The dollar is re-surgent after some better than expected news from the US. The euro is down slightly because of slower than expected growth reports. Remember this is the end of the second quarter, and forecasts are being made as to its results. Not to mention there was a significant increase in the euro price over the last few days

A serious change would be + or - 10 cents or pence.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

God you really are a bitter little person.
    You had all the support, the government, the opposition parties, the finances, the foreign support and you lost....tough
    The Yes campaign probably would have been better off without the Goverment's intervention. The EU didn't get involved at all (except for some idiots to make stupid statements).

I suspect the No side had better financing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

As I said bothe the pound and the euro are part of the EU and affecting by any so called disaster so there must be some other reason why it's dropped! Or are we affected but their not cause it makes for more great scare mongering!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Call_me_al wrote: »
    well sure if you want to make inaccurate generalisations then yes thats exactly whats been said.:rolleyes:

I know its terrible isn't it !

• Advertisement

Pal wrote:
    And the markets are falling..... on this result. That is a fact.

This may be a fact.
    Pal wrote:
    And the markets are falling on this result. That is a fact.

That is in fact, rubbish without evidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 claudiog

Euro interest rates futures have risen 1/8%

This is real. Not semantic nonsense like the no posters on here are spouting on about. People peddled lies. Fact. We bought it.

Good news maybe through..........

YES vote reported coming in strong in Dublin

This is only a spot speculation, it will stand for some days, don't worry.

johnnyq wrote: »

So long as you realise that your *opinions* are only those and give you NO right i.e. *facts* to condemn people.

true

This may be a fact.

That is in fact, rubbish without evidence.

Actually steadied up a bit now.
    Things change quickly. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

It's not over yet people. It's going to be close but either side could swing it at this stage. Stop beating each other over the heads, it's not doing any of you any good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Good grief, you haven't a clue.

In case you havent noticed the euro is seriously over valued against the dollar and to a certain extent against the pound.

Ask any exporter and this depreciation is good news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

passive wrote: »
    :eek: YES. If someone is mentally disabled and not of sound mind to make rational decisions they should not be voting. Jesus Christ... You're disgusted by the idea!? what!?

Now we're getting to the kernel of the problem with yes voters. Right, so you are of the opinion that anyone not of sound mind should not be allowed to vote. If you believe that, surely it follows that there must be some sort of test to determine who is mentally able enough to vote and who just doesn't make the grade. So how would you suggest we do this???

sink wrote: »
    It's not over yet people. It's going to be close but either side could swing it at this stage. Stop beating each other over the heads, it's not doing any of you any good.

It looks like its in the bin to me to be honest.

gurramok wrote: »

you'd be very surprised

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

gurramok wrote: »

In case you havent noticed the euro is seriously over valued against the dollar and to a certain extent against the pound.

Ask any exporter and this depreciation is good news.

That's actually a positive I had never thought of. The Euro needs to drop around 10% to help the EU and Irish economy out.

• Advertisement

This perception of Europe is why people did vote no.

What you have described is an unaccountable monster.

You freely admit that and wanted a yes vote to appease it? :confused:

I think you must be mixing me up with someone else on here, I've been 200% no since this whole thing started!

FROM RTE

Dublin South, Dublin South East and Dún Laoghaire seem like to have a 60-40 vote in favour of Lisbon.

However the No vote is said to be ahead in Dublin North West, Dublin Central, Cork North Central and South Central, both Kerry constituencies, both Tipperary constituencies, and Galway West.

A clearer picture should emerge once official results start coming in between 12pm and 1pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

sink wrote: »
    That's actually a positive I had never thought of. The Euro needs to drop around 10% to help the EU and Irish economy out.

lol now thats funny. By the way sink I think your stand on the treaty has been very good. Fair play to you. I might not agree on everything but I admire the work and how you have shown with some good facts to people who hadn't read up on certain issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

June 12 - the day the things went badly wrong for Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

The dollar is re-surgent after some better than expected news from the US. The euro is down slightly because of slower than expected growth reports. Remember this is the end of the second quarter, and forecasts are being made as to its results. Not to mention there was a significant increase in the euro price over the last few days

A serious change would be + or - 10 cents or pence.

a 10 cent change in one day would be catastrophic for world financial markets and won't happen.

A significant change is regarded to be 2%. The Euro & US dollar has been range bound for the past 5 months at 1.54 - 1.58 with the odd mid-day dip or spike.

1.53 has marked a new downward trend and shows that financial traders have started to lose confidence in the euro. - The immediate result in this will be a rise in petrol & diesel prices as crude oil has not moved down with the dollar as it has on previous occasions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

Anyone listening to RTE Radio 1 now? They're taking it as over. Sinn Fein, Patricia McKenna and Libertas asked what needs to be renegotiated when Brian Cowan goes back to the EU... barely a response past an embarrassed mumble, although Declan Ganly thinks we should get our commissioner back. :rolleyes: The reality of their "better deal" is becoming obvious to the public, I hope.

silvine wrote: »
    June 12 - the day things went right for Europe?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Darragh29 wrote: »
    Now we're getting to the kernel of the problem with yes voters. Right, so you are of the opinion that anyone not of sound mind should not be allowed to vote. If you believe that, surely it follows that there must be some sort of test to determine who is mentally able enough to vote and who just doesn't make the grade. So how would you suggest we do this???

I'd be reasonably sure those in mental institutions probably cannot vote? someone can correct me if i'm wrong here, I've been having a look around and can't find anything specific to Ireland. So if that's true, then we already do this. There are certain rights, if medically deemed to not be of sound mind, that are sacrificed or transferred to another person on behalf of the mentally ill/disabled person. Do you believe this to be wrong as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

a weaker euro is actually better for irelands economy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

silvine wrote: »
    A view you're entitled to but one so far held in the minority so I guess your true gripe is with Democracy....

Advertisement