Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclists wanted for RTE's Capital D

Options
  • 07-09-2007 3:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi cyclists,

I am line producer on the RTE 1 programme capital D. We are currently looking for a cyclist who commutes from Blanchardstown to the city centre for a race to work.

The idea of the programme is to look at different ways of commuting in Dublin but also to hear the concerns and experiences of frequent commuter cyclists.

We are hoping to film on Friday 14th September @ 8am.

If you would like to be involved please contact Siobhán on 01 6622500.

Kind Regards,
    Siobhán O'Brien

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

promediatv wrote:
    but also to hear the concerns and experiences of frequent commuter cyclists
    There's a can of worms :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭expediateclimb

Been done before. God forbid you guys in RTE ever come up with something original :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭constellation

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6622988120159554144

Pay this guy/gal a few euro for using this video. Save some money. Reduce the license fee. Everyone wins!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

promediatv wrote:
    I am line producer on the RTE 1 programme capital D. We are currently looking for a cyclist who commutes from Blanchardstown to the city centre for a race to work.
    We are hoping to film on Friday 14th September @ 8am.

Thats a shame. I make that trip all the time (favourite return trip is trying to race the E Nitelink home with seven or eight pints in me at 3am on a Sunday morning - but you probably wont want to film that) but I'll be down the country cycling for a long weekend on that date and not free on the Friday 14th morning.

Good luck with your search, if nothing comes through for you on that date please post up here again and I'll see if I can help you out. The thing is though, I'm now going the other direction (used to be living in Blanch, cycling out to Clonskeagh - now I'm living in town, cycling out to Blanch for work!) so I dont know if thats any use to you...!

I spoke with Siobhan. The plan is to go from the church in Blanchardstown village to the Central Bank, starting at 8am on Friday 14th.
    A camera will join the bus commuter and car driver. Obviously the cyclist will not be required to give a backer.
    I suggested they look for a train user too as Castleknock train station is quite near.

I'd love to participate but it's my wedding anniversary.
    The cyclist need not be going from Blanchardstown or going to city centre (I live in Carpenterstown and work in East Point) but should be willing to make a diversion for the 'race'.

The piece is due to go out on Thursday September 20th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

daymobrew wrote:
    I spoke with Siobhan. The plan is to go from the church in Blanchardstown village to the Central Bank, starting at 8am on Friday 14th.
    A camera will join the bus commuter and car driver. Obviously the cyclist will not be required to give a backer.
    I suggested they look for a train user too as Castleknock train station is quite near.

I'd love to participate but it's my wedding anniversary.
    The cyclist need not be going from Blanchardstown or going to city centre (I live in Carpenterstown and work in East Point) but should be willing to make a diversion for the 'race'.

The piece is due to go out on Thursday September 20th.

I can do it ! no problem ! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Do you have to obey all the rules of the road ;) ??!!

The cyclist will win by a good margin. If it's raining at the time the audience won't care if it takes an hour longer by car, at least they'll arrive dry! Not a good selling point to encourage cycle commuting.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭robfitz

Based on my times from last year I was able to do that journey in 30 mins including stopping at red lights (thinking about it might even have been the out of town journey).

I could do it if no one else commits to doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,308 ✭✭✭✭Victor

daymobrew wrote:
    A smallish camera could be fitted to the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,208 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

promediatv wrote:
    The idea of the programme is to look at different ways of commuting in Dublin
    But not motorcyclists though, we're all couriers or scumbags right?
    but also to hear the concerns and experiences of frequent commuter cyclists.
    But not pedestrians, bus passengers, train users etc.

Not impressed.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

ninja900 wrote:
    But not motorcyclists though, we're all couriers or scumbags right?
    Before you crucify promediatv, call them to suggest adding motorcyclists.
    ninja900 wrote:
    promediatv wrote:
    but also to hear the concerns and experiences of frequent commuter cyclists.
    But not pedestrians, bus passengers, train users etc.

Not impressed.
    The post was to a cycling forum. Siobhan said that they'd be asking the ALL participants about costs and other factors.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6622988120159554144

Pay this guy/gal a few euro for using this video. Save some money. Reduce the license fee. Everyone wins!

Jesus that looks fun, glad I don't have to cycle in Dublin :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Did anyone end up doing this in the end?

clown bag wrote:
    Did anyone end up doing this in the end?
    Siobhan said that they had a guy from Leixlip doing it. I rang around 10:30am on Friday but they weren't back - maybe waiting for the bus user to get into town ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Do you know what date they're going to air this particular show?

clown bag wrote:
    Do you know what date they're going to air this particular show?
    Thursday 20 September, 7pm, RTE1, 30 minutes.

How did this go?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Find out tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭skidpatches

it was pretty positive. the bike got in in about 20 mins. The bus took almost an hour, about a minute ahead of the car. While the car sat going nowhere, as did the bus due to cars in the bus lane, the cyclist always looked like he was having an easy time - lots of park shots helped there.

The reporter gave an emphatic thumbs up to cycle commuting. The bus passenger said she would be encouraged to try cycling. The car driver said she was too lazy to do it, which really sums up ireland's car problem.

It was probably good that they picked an older, well nourished cyclist. It was certainly good that he was a competent cyclist with a decent bike, and luggage on the bike, not on his back. He had a lycra jersey on, and no high vis in sight. Oh, and he had a helmet, thank Jebus.

On the law of averages, they could have featured some burd on a supermarket bike-shaped-object, with saddle too low, squeeking chain, buckled wheel rubbing against a brake pad bouncing along in an iarnrod eireann high visibility jacket, large enough to be worn over both rider and a large rucksack.

i think it did prove that you don't have to be a fit twentysomething to cycle to work. However, I was less impressed that the cyclist was wearing all lycra. This does nothing to promote utility cycling. It's another barrier to new cyclists getting onto the road.

• Advertisement

Sean did us very proud - 21 minutes for the 6 mile trip. The DTO Journey Planner says it should take 48 mins. Obviously such a time is for relatively slow cyclists or those who are trying not to sweat too much.

The woman in the bus, who normally takes the train, arrived in about 50minutes. She might have been quicker if the bus lane to the Navan Road wasn't blocked by so many cars. She said she'd consider cycling after hearing how quick Sean was.

The car driver, who took 55 mins, admitted being too lazy to cycle and said that she liked her little bubble of her BMW 3 series car.

At the end of the segment Anne Cassin said that they'd be repeating the experiment from a different suburb in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Sean02

Thanks for remarks. I'm always trying to promote comuter and leisure cycling and this was a good oppertunity. Also it gave me good publicity locally in Leixlip for my MOOR OF MEATH Charity Cycle. in aid of the Mater Hospital's Bowel Cancer Research Unit. Minister Gormley could make a real name for himself by immediatly putting in a tarmac cycle lane on both the Royal and Grand Canal towpaths. This would cost petty cash type of money but the potential rewards from a comuter and tourist point are enormous. See you up the road.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

It's viewable online at RTE.ie...

http://rte.ie/news/capitald/index.html

- It starts about 1/4 of the way in.

Sean02 wrote:
    Minister Gormley could make a real name for himself by immediatly putting in a tarmac cycle lane on both the Royal and Grand Canal towpaths. This would cost petty cash type of money but the potential rewards from a comuter and tourist point are enormous.
    Joan Burton mentioned this back in Febuary. Both Sean and I posted comments.

I recently jogged from Drumcondra to Coolmine. It was grand until Ashtown. I decided to continue along the towpath because the level crossing was closed for a train. I got destroyed by the mud bath of a path between Ashtown and Auburn Ave! Never again.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

monument wrote:
    It's viewable online at RTE.ie...

http://rte.ie/news/capitald/index.html

- It starts about 1/4 of the way in.

must have a watch of this later, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Nice. Results as expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

21 minutes from Blanch village crossroads to Dame Street is very quick. For morons like myself cycling in standard jeans, heavy jacket and bag on my back, pedalling a cycling-through-hummus "hybird" through the park, it takes about half an hour.

Best time I ever did before was on the Langster, Blanch village to Aungier Street in about 19 minutes (no top on, in shorts, hottest day of the year, no traffic, nearly collapsed when I got to my mate's gaf)

Well done to you Sean for doing it in such a good time with all the morning car traffic scum blocking the roads for decent cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,208 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

flickerx wrote:
    Well done to you Sean for doing it in such a good time with all the morning car traffic scum blocking the roads for decent cyclists.
    You may not like the choices that other road users make (and I'd happen to agree with you on that) but that doesn't make them scum, grow up.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

What have you got to do to be scum, these days? Polluting, supporting foreign warmongering, congesting, maiming & killing just ain't enough, anymore, I guess...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

"Scum" is certainly overstating it but describing the decision to drive to work when you could be cycling as one of the "choices that other road users make" makes it sound like a simple matter of personal preference - which it most certainly isn't.

It's a choice that comes with consequences for which everyone who makes that choice must be held, at least in part, responsible.

Advertisement