Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Film Four unblocked on NTL Digital

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,881 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

its on NTL MMDS as well
    Film4 and Film4 +1

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭gerryo

loyatemu wrote:
    its on NTL MMDS as well
    Film4 and Film4 +1

It's still displaying a banner saying "you have not subscribed..." in Galway.

Anyone know if it's just on the NTL MMDS extra packages or maybe it's on the NTL MMDS basic package in some parts of the country?

Please confirm!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,881 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

gerryo wrote:
    It's still displaying a banner saying "you have not subscribed..." in Galway.

Anyone know if it's just on the NTL MMDS extra packages or maybe it's on the NTL MMDS basic package in some parts of the country?

Please confirm!

i have the extra digital channels and I'm getting it
    probably not available if you're only getting the base 17 (or whatever) channels

loyatemu wrote:
    i have the extra digital channels and I'm getting it
    probably not available if you're only getting the base 17 (or whatever) channels

Right!, thought it might be something like that.
    NTL's "basic" package is looking very basic indeed these days, no ITV 2/3, no BBC 3/4 & now no Film4.

Must look & see what's available on FTA sat these days (.. off to Satellite forum).

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Goolay

jonski wrote:
    Phoned Chorus today , girl on the phone said they would NOT have it in their line up and they would have to talk to sky first before adding it .

:mad: Bah! Why must Chorus insist on being so utterly ****e?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

gerryo wrote:
    Right!, thought it might be something like that.
    NTL's "basic" package is looking very basic indeed these days, no ITV 2/3, no BBC 3/4 & now no Film4.

Must look & see what's available on FTA sat these days (.. off to Satellite forum).
    do they have itv 2/3 on any of their packages?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

They have BBC 3/4 on their basic alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

but that wasnt the question ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

no ITV 2/3 on Chrorus or ntl

Not on NTL MMDS basic :(

I thought NTL MMDS basic ~= NTL digital basic, however, it seems MMDS is the poor relation.

Also MMDS basic does not have $ky movies 10.

Costs the same, though. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

here is the email i sent to NTL about the lack of film4 on the basic digital package:
    Now that Film4 is free, why is it not free for me on NTL Digital?
    To me E4 and Film 4 are the only reason I choose NTL over a Sky Digital
    Free to view card because all of the ITV and BBC channels are free on a
    Sky FTV card.

Here is the reply:
    Thank you for your email. I can advise that the Film Four is available
    on the Digital Max Package which is €10.00 per month, so you need to be
    subscribed to this package to receive Film Four Free.

If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us
    on 1800 321 321 or once again e-mail us on customer.support@ntl.ie

So you have to pay €5.00 extra to get Film4 Free.
    I am considering sticking back up my satellite dish, using my FTV card and dumping NTL.

Channels i won't get that I watched occasionally on NTL (Not Free on Satellite)
    E4
    MTV
    Setanta (No Saturday Premiership next season so I won't miss that at all)

Extra Channels i will get on Satellite for free (Not on NTL)
    ITV2
    ITV3
    ITV4
    Film4
    Interactive BBC and Sky News

NTL Price = €27 PM

Satellite FTA price = €0 PM

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It's cable, nothing is free. So anyway in the €10 pack is not bad.

If you want really free you need FTA satellite :) or TV aerial, though still a TV licence, Electricity and buying the gear

FTV needs a UK card.

You mean FTA

NO card at all is needed for ITV, BBC, Film 4.

C4 and Five and Sky3 use the UK FTV card (one of £21.50 to a UK postcode address, inc N.I.)

Setanta (No Saturday Premiership next season so I won't miss that at all)[/B]

yes there will be. Setanta bought the rights to the 3pm games. RTÉ are the ones who wont have the games next season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Skyhater

Mossy Monk wrote:
    yes there will be. Setanta bought the rights to the 3pm games. RTÉ are the ones who wont have the games next season

Next season won't be any different to last season... Both Setanta and RTE will share the 3pm Sat Games.
    The new three year deal (where setanta have all the 3pm sat games for Ireland + other games for UK and Ireland) begins with the 2007-08 season!

I remember reading somewhere that Setanta will be a subscription channel on NTL Ireland when the new footie deal (2007-08 according to Skyhater) kicks in. It makes sense because they paid so much for the rights.

Anyway Watty back to the original point, i already have a Pace reciever and an FTV card, its just in storage.
    My core point was the fact that Film4 was not included in the basic digital NTL package while it can be picked up free to air on any digital satellite receiver. My anger is not about the extra €5.00, its the principle that they are treating Film4 as a "Max" channel when it should be a "Basic" channel.:mad:
    Time to get my ladder out.:)

..My anger is not about the extra €5.00, its the principle that they are treating Film4 as a "Max" channel when it should be a "Basic" channel.:mad:

Guess this is NTL's way of making a bit more $$, market it as an "extra" channel, means it makes the "digital choice" package a bit more attractive.

Wonder what will happen when (as some people predict) Setanta goes subscription when the new footie season starts?

I don't see anything to replace it that's a good fit, so will they replace it with another sport channel, or maybe throw in a few FTA channels as a replacement?

As for the "ladder", yeah, sat's looking more attractive now.

Let's see.. of the 19 channels provided on the basic package, 4 are terrestrial (possible more are in some places) at least 4 others are FTA.

Not sure about the rest, but it's got to the stage where the second MMDS box is poor value compared to a FTA sat box, the initial outlay will pay back in about 1~2 years at most.

perhaps the extra football the season after next wont be on Setanta Ireland and instead will be shown on Setanta 1 or 2, leaving Setanta Ireland on the basic ntl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Skyhater

Mossy Monk wrote:
    perhaps the extra football the season after next wont be on Setanta Ireland and instead will be shown on Setanta 1 or 2, leaving Setanta Ireland on the basic ntl

That's my understanding of their plan Mossy.... The 3pm Sat Game will continue on Setanta Ireland, while Setanta Sports 1/2 (which are subscription channels on all formats) will have the other live games.

Also, RTE won the rights to the Higlight package a few weeks ago (may have been covered on another thread.... appologies if it has). It is an extended package which also covers Highlights of Sunday and Midweek games.

yes, it runs until 2010

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Anyway Watty back to the original point, i already have a Pace reciever and an FTV card, its just in storage.
    My core point was the fact that Film4 was not included in the basic digital NTL package while it can be picked up free to air on any digital satellite receiver. My anger is not about the extra €5.00, its the principle that they are treating Film4 as a "Max" channel when it should be a "Basic" channel.:mad:

Before anyone gets out ladders, remember that for some time after its introduction, the "max" package was the basic Go Digital package. The smaller basic package is a comparatively recent introduction and is to try and pick up people who otherwise wouldn't have gone diigtal (so that eventually, analogue can be switched off...) A film channel might be regarded as a luxury in that case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Chillwithcian

Emm... It's coming up on my digital box that i need to subscribe!!! NTL say they don't know whats the problem! Even though im subscribed to the 10euro pack.

then you will need to tell ntl they need to figure it out

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Mossy Monk wrote:
    Setanta announced they had secured "Irish rights" to the UK rights they already acquired. Presume this means they'll be showing it on Setanta Ireland. Also read they Sky had signed a deal with Setanta to include Setanta UK (Setanta 1+2) as part of the Sky Sports package. Not sure this will affect prices.

Dodge wrote:
    Setanta announced they had secured "Irish rights" to the UK rights they already acquired. Presume this means they'll be showing it on Setanta Ireland

i would disagree. i think what it means is that when Premiership football is being shown on Setanta 1 or 2 then it will be shown all across the UK and Ireland. Setanta block programmes quite often when they don't have rights for a particular territory. so if they didnt gain rights for the RoI then they would have simply blocked it for Irish viewers, the same way they block 3pm Saturday games for the UK. another example of this would be when they simulcast the live showing of The Sunday Game on Setanta 1 or 2, it is blocked in Ireland. ditto for F1, it is blocked to UK viewers

Free to Air doen't mean Free to Carry.

Some channels FTA on satellite are quite expensive for cable to carry. Only a few like RTE Radio and some of the International News channels are Free To Carry.

Also CNBC, Bloomberg and non-English versions of MTV and Eurosport are FTA on other Satellites but pay channels on Sky. These are to my mind fairly "basic" compared with Film 4, but on my €22 Sky pack I don't have them. (I do of course get them on the motorised system).

This is also why ITV and most BBC is not in the Sky EPG, so I don't think UPC is being particularly mean.

If you on the other hand run a FTA DTT system or FTA Satellite platform, then everyone has to pay you to get carried, even RTE, in the case of hypothetical 3rd party National DTT network.

But if you run a Pay TV platform, then you have to pay the content providers, possibly even for Free to Carry, if you want to encrypt it and make it part of pay package.

It's all a minefield.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ROVER

I have NTL digital basic €5.00 extra month package. Tonight I have film 4 and Film 4 +1. Is this a one night offer or have NTL included it in their NTL light package?

ROVER wrote:
    I have NTL digital basic €5.00 extra month package. Tonight I have film 4 and Film 4 +1. Is this a one night offer or have NTL included it in their NTL light package?
    Just checked it last night. Its there on the basic digital package.
    It seems they read my original post and decided to refrain from cheating their customers. The guilt was too much.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭nicelives

oh that's a bit bl**dy irritating, I upgraded to the €10 package on the strength of it. Wonder if I ring them will they take it off the basic package, might be simpler than changing my subscription.

It seems they read my original post and decided to refrain from cheating their customers

it was hardly cheating. the ads you saw on tv was for ntl in the UK

• Advertisement

Which is a totally different unconnected company.

Advertisement