Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US: The things Hurley says and their significance + connections with other characters

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Psycopat

Rose is Walts grandmother :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭loon

everyone on the island is linked to everyone else, you'll find this out as you keep watching

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Thats true, it does say "Visitor". Though I don't think that is Doctor Candle, as far as I know Candle only had 1 arm.. it looks like that dude has 2.

US Spoiler
    In the new video doesnt your man have two arms and it is Candle but using a different name. This could be very big if true. People noted the the date 1980 when the film was made. Ad 20 years to the picture of Candle and you could have the "old" man Hurley was talking to in the Hospital

just been checking those diagrams again and you've missed out the locke sawyer link... sawyer is locke's dad... ie andrew cooper aka sawyer the one who conned ford's parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭Sunn

Connections:
    o Locke

Locke's mother and Hurley were both patients at SRMHI

In NUMBERS Hurley learns that he owns a box company in Tustin, CA. Locke works for a box company.

Hurley's gives his old boss at Mr.Clucks, Randy, a job at his box company because he felt that it was his bad luck that caused the metorite. Randy is Locke's boss at the box company.--Confirmed by writers--

when did we find out all that.. like that he owns a box company

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭Sunn

**double post**

it was in numbers, just before the guy jumps out of the window..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Another possible connection

Note the statue in the background just before Hurley jumps up after he wins the Lotto

If it is background imagery then the other items may have a connection too.

Although reading this thread seems trying to link stuff for the sake of it.

hurley comes from a very catholic background... so having a statue of the virgin mary in a prominent position must mean something... not just a religious thing

• Registered Users Posts: 22,766 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

PullMyFinger is most likely referring to the fact that Hurley's Virgin Mary & the Heroin-filled statues on the island are very similar.

• Advertisement

of course they're similar, they're virgin mary statues.. its like saying that my crucifix is similar to charlie's.. NO..

as for hurley's, most likely his mum's..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭PullMyFinger!

lostConnections.gif

Im re-posting that image as I accidently read that (big spoiler below)

Hurley will play a major central role in the finale of Season 3

Now given that the Season 3 finale is going to be a
    Ben flashback
    this is very interesting news.

Is Hurley
    Jacob
    ?

And wasnt he the one that
    read who the bad guy in Exposé was from Nikki's script
    ?

Hmmmmmmmm; very interesting
    finale
    ahead indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Wow.

Ben flashback

Double wow

Is Hurley
    Jacob
    ?

Hmmmmmmm.....

?

Don't understand why that would be important...oh
    cos he's the bad guy?

finale
    ahead indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

There's one or two family connections missing above? Jack & Claire are brother and sister.

ballooba wrote:
    There's one or two family connections missing above? Jack & Claire are brother and sister.

Its a dated diagram. I'll have a look around for a more upto date one. The one that isnt showing up in this thread at all (image storing may have deleted it since) was much better too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

They've a flash one here too:

http://abc.go.com/primetime/lost/connections/index

Edit: just checked it, it doesnt have the Claire/Jack thing either

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Aye they seem to be both very dated.

SumGuy wrote:
    oh that
    he's the bad guy?

Yes, in my opinion a possible 3 things will happen in the finale
    Hurley is revealed as Jacob. Wasnt he sent back to camp after the kidnapping of the 4? AND Locke joins the Others OR "Jacob" turns out to be completely made up by Ben to manipulate the others. That alongside the obvious return of Penny to rescue Desmond but thats not really related to the topic ;)

I have a feeling these next 5 weeks of Lost are gonna be breathtaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,111 ✭✭✭Talisman

I have a theory about aspects of the show and Hurley is central to it - it's to do with religion. I'll post it later.

Talisman wrote:
    I have a theory about aspects of the show and Hurley is central to it - it's to do with religion. I'll post it later.

Please do, it will add some fuel to the fire :)

• Advertisement

Here's the theory, as I said it's to do with religion, it probably needs to be structured a bit better but it's a work in progress and it only clicked in to place with the revelation about the conception of children on the island.

In the episode Dave [2x18] there are a number of significant things from a religious perspective.
    1 - Hurley sees 'Dave' and is tempted to throw himself off a cliff so he can wake up in the real world - much like Jesus was tempted by Satan during his 40 days in the desert.
    2 - Eko starts building a church, though he doesn't tell anybody what he's building.
    3 - In an exchange with Locke, Ben (Henry) says: "God doesn’t know how long we’ve been here. He can’t see this island any better than the rest of the world can."

I thought #3 was interesting, because how is it possible that the God who is responsible for the creation of the world, cannot see part of it or know about it?
    1 - Maybe the island pre-dates the God of the bible.
    2 - The island is in hell.
    3 - God delegated the work out to subordinates and one of them created the island and hid it from God. In Stephen Donaldson's The Chronicles Of Thomas Covenant there is such a tale of how Corruption got in to the world.
    In the book, Thomas Covenant encounters the Creator as an old man in his own world before he crosses over to the other world. It's revealed later that the Creator couldn't reach in to the world and destroy Corruption without unmaking the world by doing so.

For the purpose of this theory I'm leaning towards #3 and that's where Hurley comes in to play. Hurley uses the numbers to win the lottery and bad things start to happen - he believes the numbers are cursed. In Fire + Water [2x12], Hurley appears as a prophet in one of Charlie's dreams. At the time it was thought that he was cast as Jesus but it was revealed by the writers to be John the Baptist (The last prophet before Jesus). Hurley doesn't really seem like a prophet though, certainly not a John the Baptist type, he's too easy going and isn't exactly hands on. If I were to cast him as a prophet, it would be Jonah. God wanted Jonah to go and do something, Jonah ignored him. God made bad things happen to Jonah, Jonah did what God wanted. See where I'm going with this?

God knows about the source of the numbers, but for some reason he can't see inside the snow globe surrounding the source of the numbers. God curses the numbers, anybody who uses the numbers will be cursed until the source of the numbers is revealed to God. Hugo Reyes comes from a devout Catholic family (Virgin Mary statue on top of the television). He uses the numbers to win the lottery and things go bad immediately. Eventually Hugo decides to investigate where the numbers came from, on his adventure he learns of another person who used the numbers and suffered from bad luck afterwards. Hugo heads for home, boards flight 815 which literally falls on top of the source of the numbers. Surely that's not just a coincidence.

After crashing on the island, the survivors encountered a monster who killed the pilot of the aircraft. The only person to encounter the monster and not be scarred by the experience is John Locke - he experiences it as a beautiful white light. He's a man who doesn't go in for the Christian mumbo jumbo, in 2x12 he told Claire that there was no need to get herself or her child baptised it was just an insurance policy to try to get in to heaven. Instead he has more baser beliefs - he attempted to do an Aboriginal Walkabout in Australia and he built a Shaman hut on the site of Eko's church. Not exactly one for mainstream religion is John Locke, prior to the crash he was in a wheelchair and now he's a hunter-gatherer who isn't opposed to a bit of human sacrifice if the island demands it.

Claire, the heavily pregnant woman, along with Charlie, are kidnapped by one of 'The Others'. Jack and a group pursues them in to the jungle. The other warns Jack that he will kill one of the captives if he does not give up the pursuit. Jack continues on and finds Charlie hanging from a tree, he appears to be dead. Jack takes the body down and pumps away the chest to get the heart beating again. His companions have given Charlie up for dead but Jack keeps pounding away, he doesn't give up and after a tense few minutes Charlie is restored to life. A miracle! Some weeks later Claire wanders out of the jungle and Charlie kills the kidnapper when he tries to steal her away again.

After approximately 40 days on the island (a biblical reference if ever there was one), the survivors of flight 815 get in to the hatch - the source of the numbers. We meet Desmond who has been 'saving the world' every 108 minutes for several yaers by punching the sequence of numbers in to a computer. The Losties take over the hatch and key in the numbers, despite Hugo's reservations. Desmond heads for his yacht and abandons the island. Everything seems fine, Hugo is given the task of creating an inventory of the stock in the hatch and enlists the help of Rose (a God fearing woman). There's something about the hatch that Rose does not like and refuses to wash or dry her clothes there.

Through the encounters of the survivors of the tail section of the plane, we learn that the Others have a list of people to take and also take all of the children.

We witness the counter run down to 0 and the figures replaced by hieroglyphics which seem to symbolise something to do with 'Death'. Henry (Ben) the apparent leader of the others plants the seed of doubt about entering the numbers. Ben escapes. Desmond returns with a tale of woe, the survivors are stuck inside a snow globe. Locke decides to sabotage the computer and prevent the numbers from being entered again. Desmond goes along with Locke's plan but changes his mind at the last moment - too late. When the hatch is about to implode, Desmond throws the safety switch and the sky goes purple for a few moments.

In season three, we learn that the event which caused the sky to go purple has cut the Others off from the outside world. The event has also given Desmond a special ability, to see the future, or rather the future death of Charlie, so Desmond spends his time repeatedly saving Charlie's life. We also learn than the Others have been unable to have children on the island, they drafted a fertility expert from the U.S. to help with the issue. She is convinced that the problem is with conception.

What does it all mean?

The hatch with the numbers was the source of the shield protecting the snow globe from the eyes of God and the world.
    Children that were conceived on the island could not be born because they were empty bodies - the breath of God is the origin of the soul.
    Since the sky went purple, the inside of the snow globe is visible to the world and God. Evident from the the last minute or so of the season 2 finale and also the fact that Death is catching up with Charlie.
    Hurley's luck has changed - the joyride in the VW van could have gone very badly and just when it looked like he was going to crash, the engine started.
    I believe Mr. Eko was killed by the monster because he was building a church to the 'Living God'.

Where does DHARMA fit in to it?

Dharmic religions are all about easing the path to enlightenment by living in harmony with the world and bring balance to life. Balance is a recurring theme in the series. 'Good' people are more likely to embrace the teachings of Dharma and that is why they are taken. I think that the Dharma Initiative was about reseeding the Earth with 'Good' people after some apocalyptic event. They hit the snag of being unable to pro-create.

Speculation: The mysterious voices/whispers in the jungle are those who have already attained enlightenment.

What about the monster?
    It's possibly a Djinn. I suspect 'the box' is also some form of Djinn.

How will it end?
    1 - The survivors will escape and God will somehow destroy the island.
    2 - The hatch will be rebuilt and the numbers will start again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Great theory Talisman. I can see you have put a ton of thought into it.

Ben flashback

Is Hurley
    Jacob
    ?

?

finale
    ahead indeed!
    fI hate to burst your bubble but the season finale is Jack centric this year. Episoe 19 is the Ben episode which will show him through various ages on the Island which should be very revealiing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

No they'll probably show some stuff in the flahback but give no answer to what it is / what they were. Then hte final epsidoe one of the major things in his flashbacks will pop up and it will end until next year.

Then the first 6 epsidoes of the next series will ignore what has happened. We will all hate lost for a few months. Epsidoe 6 - 9 will be slow but slightly better, then they'll start pulling out the good stuff - cycle repeat.

damnyanks wrote:
    No they'll probably show some stuff in the flahback but give no answer to what it is / what they were. Then hte final epsidoe one of the major things in his flashbacks will pop up and it will end until next year.

Then the first 6 epsidoes of the next series will ignore what has happened. We will all hate lost for a few months. Epsidoe 6 - 9 will be slow but slightly better, then they'll start pulling out the good stuff - cycle repeat.

Super theory Talisman. Only question i have is, didn't the writers already say that religion is not involved in LOST?

logik wrote:
    Super theory Talisman. Only question i have is, didn't the writers already say that religion is not involved in LOST?
    If religion isn't involved in Lost then why have they made so many religious references? I don't think the theory I have is the complete answer to Lost - it was an idea bouncing around in my head for a while and then last episode clinched it for me. From a religious aspect it fits for now.

Two things that will unravel the theory this season:
    1 - If it is revealed that Ben was conceived and born on the island while the hatch and numbers were in use.
    2 - Desmond stops keeping Charlie safe and Charlie survives.

Talisman wrote:
    If religion isn't involved in Lost then why have they made so many religious references? I don't think the theory I have is the complete answer to Lost, but from a religious aspect if fits for now.

Two things that will unravel the theory this season:
    1 - If it is revealed that Ben was conceived and born on the island while the hatch and numbers were in use.
    2 - Desmond stops keeping Charlie safe and Charlie survives.

I do agree mate, the writers have made some serious refrences to religion, thats for sure. Maybe they realised that many people were onto there plot/story line, and the only way to get people to keep watching was to deny that it was religion based at all.

Advertisement