Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircon High Speed - Is it worth it?

Options
  • 29-05-2002 9:54am
    Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone actually signed up for this? 37.50 or so a month, plus your normal calls. And if you actually use the high speed (128 kb/s lmao) you get charged for two phone calls? Not exactly a great deal.

Just as a matter of curiousity, I have a integreated ethernet connectioin on my laptop, what kind of connection would be suitable for this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by Legbreaker
    Just as a matter of curiousity, I have a integreated ethernet connectioin on my laptop, what kind of connection would be suitable for this?

Emm.. ethernet!?! If u wanted to use ISDN in your laptop you'd have to get a PCMCIA (or USB if you have USB ports) terminal adaptor. The integrated ethernet port is just that - a port for ethernet!

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Thought so. pity i dont have a nice network to connect to. Maybe the boss wont notice.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

well even if u had a network card in your PC at home u could make (or buy) a crossover cable - giving the effect of a network between two pc's without the expense of a hub...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Quorthon

Has anyone actually signed up for this? 37.50 or so a month, plus your normal calls. And if you actually use the high speed (128 kb/s lmao) you get charged for two phone calls? Not exactly a great deal.

The answer is, it depends on what you require it for. Obviously with ADSL beginning its rollout, ISDN is an outdated technology, but with the high fixed costs for ADSL at the moment, "hispeed" could be a better choice.

The cheapest installation costs for i-stream solo including usb modem are €375 inc vat. Hi speed installation costs about €175 (I have assumed around €55 for a decent ISDN terminal adapter).

Monthly costs for adsl is minimum €127 (including €20 for your regular phone line rental). Monthly rental for hispeed is €37.50 but on top of this you have call charges, and this is the crux of the matter.

The download cap for adsl is 3gb. If you were to download this much data using hispeed, the call charges would be around €80 (assuming off peak calls) bringing the total charge for hispeed to €117.50 (which is marginally cheaper than adsl). Obviously the less data you download, the cheaper hispeed becomes relative to adsl.

I find myself in exactly this position, using the internet mainly for gaming and a bit of surfing. My average phone bill with Hispeed, (including all voice calls!!) is around €80, so theres not much incentive for me to switch to adsl. Also, gaming pings with hispeed are excellent - I ping around 50-70 to UK q3 servers for example, and often find that I have a better ping than UK ADSL users!!!!

Q

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I just signed up to netsystem, use a phone line and you get your data via satellite... faster than ISDN 350kbs in my package and its fast and piss easy to use.. cost €36 a month with no cap or time limit... and it is pretty fast.. standard download is about 30 - 40 kbs and once i got 250kbs.. only used it for about 15 mins testing last night but im impressed.. even taking into account the phone bill its still cheaper than ADSL! And mot of my downloads will be done offline with EON

http://www.netsystem.com/eng/index.htm
    www.europeonline.com

And for info on all of them try www.broadbandsatellite.co.uk
    excellent forum & help on this technology

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭[SG]BGA

I've seen advertisements in the newspapers and on their website recently, saying its now 59c a day. This works out by my reckoning to around 18 euro a month. Yet the website still quotes 37.50 a month. Anyone got an explaination for this? I've knocked off 21% VAT etc but it still works out around a euro a day...
    False advertising? Or haven't they bothered to update the website?
    If it is 18 euro a month then I think I'll get it. Being a gamer I'm more concerned with low pings than download speeds....

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

That price relates to the difference between a standard line rental and a highspeed one. The 37.00 replaces the standard line rental, and is 18.00 more than the standar, so thats where the get their calcs from. God bless small print.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,386 ✭✭✭ando

the only reason i got isdn was because 1) i failed the adsl test and 2) i play online games..

Isdn makes a HUGE difference with pings, where I used to get 400, i now get 37-50 :) sweeeet

128k is nice, but i only use it when I really need to download something fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭infomat

Yes, I managed to the ISDN service about a year ago.
    When I first purchased my apartment I applied for ISDN and two years I was still waiting. Last year when I re-ordered I was connected by lunch time the next day (so at least something has improved).

I like ISDN because it is very reliable but I would not describe it as high speed.

Think of ISDN (basic) as being equivalent to two telephone lines ... you are charged rental for each line and for usage of each line. If you make a call using the 128k option you are using two channels and this is twice the cost of using one channel.

BTW ISDN rental is slightly lower than renting two lines and call charges are the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭212.2.179.66

Originally posted by ando
    the only reason i got isdn was because 1) i failed the adsl test and 2) i play online games..

Isdn makes a HUGE difference with pings, where I used to get 400, i now get 37-50 :) sweeeet

128k is nice, but i only use it when I really need to download something fast.

May I ask what games do you play and what servers you play on?
    I play mostly TFC / CS / DOD and I have an ISDN line and play mostly on Demon UK / B'sW servers but my ping is nowhere near 37-50 it's more like 100 - 120. The lowest I have got on any server was 90.

• Advertisement

I have ISDN only becaouse I live about 7 miles from the nearest Exchange and found ( ok they will tell you it will not work ...but I have it ) It has made a huge difference to my internet connection. While I was on the 56k modem I cracked up waiting for URL's to load and a 1 meg file took almost 3 hours to download. BUT! my phone bill used to be €140 - €150 and now its €360 - €380. However ISDN nowdays is totally outdated and way too expensive. If I were you I would wait for ADSL / Cable / Sat at an affordable rate. Anything less is just not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

212.2.179.66, i presume you're using an external TA that eircom gave you with hi-speed. If that is the case, then ping in games will always be very high. A good internal TA will give 32ish dos ping to Irish servers with a good Irish ISP (Eircom, oceanfree, etc.) and 35 - 45 dos ping to Barrysworld and most UK servers. Its all about the TA and the ISP.. Asuscom or Eicon Diva are good internal TAs if you want good ping in games.

Legbreaker - I have hi-speedand its very very expensive.. if I weren't so addicted to online games I would say its not worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭MrBlonde

http://www.cs.jolt.co.uk/index.php?page=server_list.html&map_select=2

50-60 ping. demon servers usually are 100+. cs boards have a server list.

Isdn is the only gaming connection still in ireland apart from cable which is better than adsl to the uk.

Originally posted by MrBlonde
    http://www.cs.jolt.co.uk/index.php?page=server_list.html&map_select=2

50-60 ping. demon servers usually are 100+. cs boards have a server list.

Isdn is the only gaming connection still in ireland apart from cable which is better than adsl to the uk.
    Thank you I will try some of them out later tonight.

Originally posted by Illkillya
    212.2.179.66, i presume you're using an external TA that eircom gave you with hi-speed. If that is the case, then ping in games will always be very high. A good internal TA will give 32ish dos ping to Irish servers with a good Irish ISP (Eircom, oceanfree, etc.) and 35 - 45 dos ping to Barrysworld and most UK servers. Its all about the TA and the ISP.. Asuscom or Eicon Diva are good internal TAs if you want good ping in games.

Legbreaker - I have hi-speedand its very very expensive.. if I weren't so addicted to online games I would say its not worth it.
    Thank you for your advoice Illkillya I do indeed have the external TA that Eircon sent out. The funny thing is that when I use Eircon to connect to the internet / games servers my ping is about 200 as compaired to Oceanfree / Elive / UTV @ 90 to 100 sometimes even less. I might just take your advoice and change my TA.

Thank you,

Originally posted by 212.2.179.66

Thank you for your advoice Illkillya I do indeed have the external TA that Eircon sent out. The funny thing is that when I use Eircon to connect to the internet / games servers my ping is about 200 as compaired to Oceanfree / Elive / UTV @ 90 to 100 sometimes even less. I might just take your advoice and change my TA.

Thank you,

The difference between Eircon.net and oceanfree is not to do with the TA, but rather the fact that Ocean supports STAC compression, which makes a difference when you are playing games. Changing your TA will not affect the difference between these ISP's. It may help to improve both connections but there will still be a relative difference. Also notice that reported pings tend to vary between games. For example, I tend to report 40-60 in Q3 on barrysworld servers but sometimes 70-120 on barrysworld CS servers. Im not sure why this is.

Q

• Registered Users Posts: 5,386 ✭✭✭ando

sorry for delay in replying !

I agree with what Illkillya said, get yourself an internal TA, infact, get yourself an Asus Internal TA. Their only around £30 sterling, and much better than eircons TA.
    low.jpg

The lowest ping I've ever got was 23 to barrysworld playing 'voyager, elite force'. I've also played Jedi night, but for some weird reason, my ping is usually around 70 on that game ???

Cant give you a CS ping, as I can never get that game to work for me online :(

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Leverz

One year on..................

http://www.boards.ie/bulletin/Forum3/HTML/002106-2.html

Prolly have a post next year something similar.

F00k Eircom and their damn mouse ;P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Xian

Originally posted by Leverz
    One year on..................
    http://www.boards.ie/bulletin/Forum3/HTML/002106-2.html
    Those were the days...
    Dustaz
    Freak

I started out this thread as a firm anti-isdn type of guy, but reading all this has kinda changed my mind.
    If and when SNL finally kicks the bucket, i might just have a look at it. The only thing that still worries me is the cost of converting back to an analogue line whenever dsl comes in. That likely to cost much? or the same as the isdn install?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

rofl pld:)

I would have done it too, but thru a combination of dsl actually happening for me and snl never really going away i didnt need to subject myself to eircom like that:)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Ah, joe22, that brings back memories! :)

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭BKtje

Originally posted by Quorthon

For example, I tend to report 40-60 in Q3 on barrysworld servers but sometimes 70-120 on barrysworld CS servers. Im not sure why this is.

Q

Reasons for this are that different games have different netcodes which deal with packets and such differently. There are advantages and disadvantages to them and of course some are pure ****e :)

A m8 of mine played UT with the eircom TA and got pings of 140 to UK servers. he switched to a decent TA (eicon diva) and it was lowered to 70-90. (like the rest of us isdners that play UT from ireland :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Leverz

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Ah, joe22, that brings back memories! :)

adam

Memories??

MEMORIES??

LOL Joe22 was nuked nuked nuked, he was flamed so often he wen nuclear ;P

prolly why he aint been seen since. ;P

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭oisin

I'm thinking of going down the ISDN road since DSL is not available in my area (Lucan) yet. If I want 128k downloads I'm told I need a special account with my ISP to allow this.

Has anyone using Hi-Speed got any experience with this? Any ideas on price etc. Are there problems connecting at certain times? (Some evening it takes me half an hour to connect to Eircom or Esat with my current setup). I've checked out Eircom and Esat web sites but I can't find any info on ISDN type connections.

Originally posted by oisin
    I'm thinking of going down the ISDN road since DSL is not available in my area (Lucan) yet. If I want 128k downloads I'm told I need a special account with my ISP to allow this.

Has anyone using Hi-Speed got any experience with this? Any ideas on price etc. Are there problems connecting at certain times? (Some evening it takes me half an hour to connect to Eircom or Esat with my current setup). I've checked out Eircom and Esat web sites but I can't find any info on ISDN type connections.

1) Oceanfree and I believe UTVLive support 128k on their free services - you dont need a special account

2) Price is Eur37.50 per month line rental (excluding vat). Calls are extra and are at normal peak/offpeak rates. 128k counts as 2 calls but you would only use 128k for large downloads anyway so it makes no difference - cost is the same.

3) No problems for me at any time connecting to any of Eircomnet/Oceanfree/UtvInternet.

Q

By the way, in this thread I did a comparison of the various costs of ISDN compared to ADSL and why you might want to go for either service.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=53266&perpage=20&pagenumber=1

Regs

Q

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭infomat

As a matter of interest, who told you that you need a special account? I use www.utv.ie which is a free service (you do of course pay for connect time ... at 128k you pay double which is the equivalent of using two analogue lines pricewise). You do not need a special account for dual channel connections when using UTV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭donaloconnor

If I want 128k downloads I'm told I need a special account with my ISP to allow this.

By the way, you won't be able to get up to speeds of 128k/s. I guess 10k/sec. Am i right in saying that, like an average, don't use ISDN.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

By the way, you won't be able to get up to speeds of 128k/s. I guess 10k/sec.

If you mean the download speeds you get on dual channel ISDN, you should get around 14k/sec or so when downloading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭BKtje

14.5 is about the average i get.
    Late at night recently tho ive been getting 19.3 steady.

Noy sure why or if its just being mis read or whatever but it almost feels like broadband :)

Advertisement