Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OMG IBB Are that bad...

Options
  • 17-08-2005 12:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭

:mad: I got in IBB last week just to try it out for myself because i really need a good upload speed and can no way afford SDSL.
    I got it put on last thursday the guy who put it in done the test on his laptop
    and was only getting speeds of 150kB/s on his laptop and that was defo not right because i was getting the 3mb package! so he said look someone will rign you 2m and sort that out for you, that night i was using the connection and getting speeds with bittorrent of around 350kB/s up and down at the same time and was like wow this is what i want :) that was the night i got it put in!!
    tonight i am using my old DSL connection i have with Digiweb i held on to my account with them so i couod fall back on it if IBB feked up and my god what a ball$ of a company, my up and downspeeds are like 350kb/s HA HA 3mb my boll0x. All i can say is how are thay getting away wth this kind of service? like no way in hell would i pay for it, even if i had no other option on broadband.
    So out the door it is with IBB, well not just yet i have told them i want to cancel my account as it is a TOTAL FU€K UP and the nice chap from IBB told me my connection will be fixed by 2m! and i will not be paying until it is.
    So thinking of getting IBB......DONT and for all who have them already STOP the payments to them that is the only thing companys like them care about want it fixed then you know what to do.
    Cheers ya`ll....! :D:D:D:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Its a little slow tonight alright - but its workable, and not always this bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

We told you s.........................................No I won't say it....
    Do you not read any of the post on the broadband forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

Ya i read them all....just had to see 4 myself how much of a boll0x it really is.

its a little slow tonight...lol

Still i done the clever thing (well i suppose i should hav not went 2 IBB) i kept my
    DSL account and thats cool always 3mb but only 256k up...o well

Lot of bother to go to ......Did you think we were all having you on?

ricey wrote:
    its a little slow tonight...lol

Excuse me!! I've been with them for over a year now and I find it acceptable. What are you trying to do, download the entire internet?? :D

If the engineer was was only getting "150kB/s on his laptop" then why did you sign off on it?? That was a bit silly!

• Advertisement

How would YOU define acceptable?

I can browse the web, download and upload files via FTP. Use VPN for work and I have no problems at all. I get over 1MB upload and download at peak time which I find is adequate.

Oh, and I also edit code in VI over telnet - alls fine from where I am. Which mast are you guys on?? I'm Ballycoolin.

& what package are you on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

Ya taught it was all bull$hit....na i just wanted to see 4myself big mistake.

A bit silliy is dam right but it worked perfect for a day of two after that.

and i aint taught about downloading the hole internet not yet anyway!

beller b wrote:
    & what package are you on?

Breeze 2mb.

BTW - when I signed up it was for a 1MB and they sent me a letter saying to reboot the modem and I'd have a 2MB line.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

correct me if im wrong here, im not an expert, but when i was bb training in errorcom, we were told 'the general speed of a line, for example, a 1mb line, would be 1/10th the total, ie 100kps download. ditto for a 2mb line it would be 200kps.' Now in the first post it says hes got a 3mb line, and downloading at 350kps, is that not perfectly acceptable??
    that night i was using the connection and getting speeds with bittorrent of around 350kB/s up and down at the same time and was like wow this is what i want

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭BlueShaun

ricey wrote:
    that night i was using the connection and getting speeds with bittorrent of around 350kB/s up and down at the same time and was like wow this is what i want :) that was the night i got it put in!!
    tonight i am using my old DSL connection i have with Digiweb i held on to my account with them so i couod fall back on it if IBB feked up and my god what a ball$ of a company, my up and downspeeds are like 350kb/s HA HA 3mb my boll0x.

Err, 3mb is 375kb/sec. How is that unacceptable, given that (i didnt see it specified, so i dont know) there is usually a contention ratio? ie shared bandwidth......

Unless u were expecting 3mbyte broadband, which is 24mbit? correct me if im wrong comp people (mods...feel free to edit this.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Broadband is sold in bits. A 2meg line is 2048kilobits per second (kbps or kb/s).

Downloads are measured in bytes. 2048kilobits per second (kbps or kb/s) = 256kilobytes per second ( kB/s)

Take overheads into account, and you get a realistic max of about 230kilobytes per second. i.e. 1840 kilobits per second.

And FFS there are enough IBB threads around to find one to post this on! Can i propose we start auto-deleting new IBB threads til people get the hint and reuse existing ones as necessary? (if it is a totally new topic, then fine, make anew thread, but this topic is far from new).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

Blueshaun -> I was just about to post the same thing! Seems to be the problem is with peoples (not everyone, I agree there are problems) expectations of this service. If you are on a 3Mb line with 8:1 conntention then 340kb might be how it is. And it makes sense technically for this results, when testing. I assume (don't know for sure) that IBB are counting the 3Mb with full duplex i.e you get 3Mb with and/OR down.
    If this is the case then most of the people complaining about there speed have set their expectations way to high.

NOTE: Before anyone starts lashing, I do know there are some unnacceptable areas using IBB and I am not talking about those problems above. :D

IBB is a full duplex service. You can get full speeds up AND down at the same time.

i.e. 2meg = about 200kB/sec AND 200kB/sec down at the same time. (you can't afford to choke either your upload or your download).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,942 ✭✭✭✭Stark

azzeretti wrote:
    Blueshaun -> I was just about to post the same thing! Seems to be the problem is with peoples (not everyone, I agree there are problems) expectations of this service. If you are on a 3Mb line with 8:1 conntention then 340kb might be how it is. And it makes sense technically for this results, when testing. I assume (don't know for sure) that IBB are counting the 3Mb with full duplex i.e you get 3Mb with and/OR down.
    If this is the case then most of the people complaining about there speed have set their expectations way to high.

NOTE: Before anyone starts lashing, I do know there are some unnacceptable areas using IBB and I am not talking about those problems above. :D

Contention contention. On a 2Mbit/s line you should be guaranteed 128kbit/s if every single person on the network tries to download at the same time. But normally you don't have every single person downloading at once so the speed ususally works out at a lot higher. I've had broadband packages on DSL with 48:1 contention ratios and I've been able to get nearly the full line speed at all but the busiest of peak times.

On IBB, it seems no matter what time you login at, the speeds are always ****. And often the speed drops below the "guaranteed minimum" as well. We've seen plenty of examples of people here getting less than dialup speeds.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Stark wrote:
    Contention contention. On a 2Mbit/s line you should be guaranteed 128kbit/s if every single person on the network tries to download at the same time. .
    Unless IBB have gaurenteed this (which I don't know if they have or haven't) and have QOS in place for each connection what you say in the first instance is wrong.
    Stark wrote:
    We've seen plenty of examples of people here getting less than dialup speeds.
    Exactly why I say at the end of the post that this doesn't apply to all instances. If you are on a 2MB line with 8:1 contention then there are times (a lot of times) when your speed will be around the 340k mark, thats just simply math(s).

Like I said, I don't know that ins and outs of the service IBB provide, obviously if people are getting below dialup speeds there is a problem, not in question. But the example above is an example of perception and expectation.
    Apologises if this annoys anyone :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

IBB is a full duplex service. You can get full speeds up AND down at the same time.

i.e. 2meg = about 200kB/sec AND 200kB/sec down at the same time. (you can't afford to choke either your upload or your download).

Great, except IBB claims that it's not full duplex. And from my own experience it isn't full duplex.

In the response to stuff about contention, most providers provide the bandwidth necessary for their customers, regardless of contention. This is the norm in the market. If IBB sells a 2Mpbs 24:1 service, you should view it as a 128kbps service that might work at 2Mbps. In most cases you will not be disappointed if this is the expectation. But it all depends on where you're at. IBB's problem is clearly that their wireless backhaul is useless so any site that relies on wireless backhaul is to be avoided. Where they use fibre, it seems to work well, e.g. full speed all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 robroy

I hate to sound stupid, but is anyone confusing Megabits per second of DSL line speed with download rates shown in MegaBYTES ber second. :confused:

1Byte = 8 bits

3MegaBits would give 375KiloBYTES per second and as this would not actually be achieved in practise, due to various packet overheads etc., 350 KBytes would be a good performance for a 3Mb connection.

The sizes shown for downloaded files are all KB (byte) and any download software I use show a KB download rating.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Its Half Duplex Service and Have a Email Complaint reply stating that.

• Advertisement

Hang on a minute! Your on a 2mbit service & your happy with 1 mbit speeds? LOL
    If you paid for a pint in the pub & the barman handed you a glass I suppose you'd sup it & say nothing..That the problem,that why IBB are getting away with it..

The problem with IBB is they claim one thing but advertise another.Thier ad using the road traffic example clearly states the same up & download speeds......

In fairness, and I hate playing Devils advocate, but the road analagy is a perfect way to explain syncronise DSL. It's not so much advertising the speed but more so the difference between their service and the ASync service others provide.
    In regards your pint example, it simply doesn't stand up. The technical details e.g contention rate, are there and anyone expecting to get 3MB down when testing is just setting their expectations too high. I don't blame IBB for this, simply the end user.

Again, I feel I need to point out that this is only for people who are complaining about getting 340k down and not the other users who are having other difficulties which seem to be due to over subscribing.

beller b wrote:
    Hang on a minute! Your on a 2mbit service & your happy with 1 mbit speeds? LOL
    If you paid for a pint in the pub & the barman handed you a glass I suppose you'd sup it & say nothing..That the problem,that why IBB are getting away with it..

Yeah I am actually happy. When I signed up it was a 1MB line. They upped it to 2MB .. which has been a farce .. there is no difference at all between the 1MB and 2MB. But when I signed up it was a 1MB line.

Less of the personal attacks please beller.

What it WAS is beside the point.I am on a 2 mbit service from BT.Any test I do I get download of about 1.7mb. That used to be a 1 mbit service but if I was only getting 1 mbit I would not be happy....BTW how do you justify the statment "there is no difference at all between 1MB and 2MB"?
    PS my previous post was not meant to be a personal attack...sorry if it seemed so..

Beller sorry if you have said havent kept up with ALL the Ibb threads. Did you cancell your Direct Debit and Move too Bt?
    beller b wrote:
    What it WAS is beside the point.I am on a 2 mbit service from BT.Any test I do I get download of about 1.7mb. That used to be a 1 mbit service but if I was only getting 1 mbit I would not be happy....BTW how do you justify the statment "there is no difference at all between 1MB and 2MB"?
    PS my previous post was not meant to be a personal attack...sorry if it seemed so..

Not quite, powerhousedan.. I was one of the lucky ones.I escaped these gangsters at the start(With a litte help from IBB themselves, bless them)
    Its a story I posted before,I cant remember where so her's the highlights
    Ordered IBB ripwave,modem arrived no signal (I live 500m from ballymun mast)
    Then ordered breeze. IBB told me LOS was passed.
    Engineers arrived to install,looked out window of van & said "you wont get a signal here"(It was lashing rain,I think that had something to do with it) btw still 500m from mast I can see it from my garden.
    Had enough at that stage,eventually got my €99 euro refund & cancelled DD.got 3 months free from eircom, got sick of Smarts lies & ordered BT. Best thing I ever did..
    Funny in way I suppose I should really be grateful to thier engineers for not wanting to getout in the rain..

Its Half Duplex Service and Have a Email Complaint reply stating that.
    Really? So if its half duplex, what speeds should i be getting if i try to max out my upload and download at the same time? I'm going to go try that now. I'm fairly sure i can get at least 180each way (at the same time!) stably.

I know that back on the 0.5meg service i could usually download and upload at 50kB/sec at the same time (when it worked).

Email one:

Mr. Desmond

Please find below the graphs for your connection. I think that this will illustrate what we are seeing from our side.

You reach his maximum throughput capacity set on the radio regularly. Your connection is a 2Mb pipe operating at half duplex meaning that is your upload and download total capacity at any one point in time. If he are uploading at 1Mb, it leaves 1Mb for download. If you download at 2Mb, you have no upload capacity. 2Mb is the total capacity available for download and upload combined.

Email two when i questioned the half duplex.

The reason for the difference between uploads and download speed - the base station sends the download, the transmission radio has greater power output than the customer premises radio. Therefore the actual throughput from the customer premises will depend on distance and quality of signal. Download speeds will generally be less affected.

We simply state that we provide a symmetrical 2Mb service. We do not state that we will provide 2Mb up and down simultaneously, simply that we will make a maximum of 2Mbps available to the customer. Should the customer feel that the contract is misleading in any way, he is welcome to find the points that he finds to be misleading, and point them out to us for consideration.

Actual speeds will vary from time to time based on the site the customer is downloading from, quality of connectivity to that site across the internet, congestion at that site and contention at his highsite. We do not guarantee 2Mbps all the time. It is a maximum speed and we clearly advertise it as being contended at 24:1, giving a guaranteed connection speed of 84kbps at peak time minimum, or a download speed at worst of 10kBps. He is getting a lot more than that most of the time.

Really? So if its half duplex, what speeds should i be getting if i try to max out my upload and download at the same time? I'm going to go try that now. I'm fairly sure i can get at least 180each way (at the same time!) stably.

I know that back on the 0.5meg service i could usually download and upload at 50kB/sec at the same time (when it worked).

• Advertisement

I believe ya alright, but that doesn't seem to hold true for what my connection is doing. I can't find a decent torrent that will max my upload speed... even if i limit my download speed to 60kB/sec, i can't get my upload to go over about 120kB/sec, so bear that in mind when you see the results here.

This is me leeching Two torrents. Both legal, one filled with seeds, the other a mixture of 30seeds and about 250 leechers. once again, even limiting my download to 60 won't let my uploads get above about 120.

speeds9dv.jpg

Advertisement