Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sticky Request - Computers Forum

Options
  • 18-02-2005 10:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭

Admins,

There have been multiple requests for a sticky on this thread in the Computer forum. The first request was in the first post on the 2/9/2004 and the most recent was this week. A lot of people have put some time into their posts making them very useful - for example Khannie's two posts - here and here . Yet for 5 months the requests to make this thread easily accessible have been ignored.

Is there any chance of getting this stickied at all?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

have you PM'd the mods?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

not personally but they were pm-ed by others I'm told.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Pretty sure I sent a PM at the time that I wrote up the to main posts in that thread. It took me a good while to get all that info together in a meaningful way.

My preference would be to have the thread restarted, take the two main posts out, then lock it. People could then send updates to the mod. If I thought this would happen, I'd add all the new stuff since my posts and repost.

Anyway, this way, the thread doesn't go to crap, like the other stickied threads on the comp forum with people needing to wade through pages of irrelivant cack just to get to the good stuff.

Also, can we look into getting a mod who's regularly on the board? there have been a savage number of requests for stickying of this thread all of which have fallen on deaf ears.

Many thanks :)

Khannie wrote:
    Also, can we look into getting a mod who's regularly on the board? there have been a savage number of requests for stickying of this thread all of which have fallen on deaf ears.

Many thanks :)

Another good point my Unreal friend :)
    Trojan seems more interested in Rugby, Quake and selling mobile phones than computers. Kali only posts occasionaly and Gerry has only made 6 posts this year anywhere on boards.ie.

Computers is a very busy forum and while it's mainly self-regulating and doesn't have near as many trolls as I've seen on other boards it still needs an active mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

ive got two compueters and a laptop.
    i could mod it for you?

• Advertisement

After DeV warning us to beware of you - don't think so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

STICKY THE THREAD its been of good use to a lot of people, better than some of the other stickies in my opinion!
    I the thread gets restarted and request for new links pm'd to the mod for them to add it then there better me a mod to add then. As it is now the mods dont seem to have listened so how do we know they will edit it with requests? Maybe this forum needs a new mod to!

Jozi

STICKY IT

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

jozi wrote:
    Maybe this forum needs a new mod to!
    Wouldn't be the first one either ....

Anyway, I agree with Macros42, the thread has definitely been useful to anyone who actually read it - Stickify it!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

Thats an excellent thread-i have seen it quoted loads of times all over boards. Really deserves to be stickied but the comp forum is full of stickies lookin cluttered a bit. Throw the suggestion into the Charter - please make suggestion sticky. it might get a positive response yes/no?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Maybe get rid of some of the other stickys?
    Or combine them all into a usefull threads sticky?

Jozi

• Advertisement

jozi wrote:
    Maybe get rid of some of the other stickys?
    Or combine them all into a usefull threads sticky?
    Combining them would be better-also stream line them more-i know the lads cut down the thread of recommended places to buy parts so it wasnt as long, but it could go in there as well somewhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

tbh not allot of people who would be good at the job, actually want the job. Gerry is quiet good, but I imagine either final year of college or the real world is keeping him bussy. Al (trojan) breaks he's balls working hard or playing hard. Kali, well kali never posted allot, even back in my day. I'd say make WWM a moderator but frankly I doubt he'd post more then kali or Al. Maybe some young blood like cult, crash, ect though How much time they would spend on a general tech forum is questionable.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

what about Col_Loki....? Found him to be very knowledgggble and friendly.... :)

RuggieBear wrote:
    what about Col_Loki....? Found him to be very knowledgggble and friendly.... :)

Would have to agree-majorly cool guy and knows his Sh!t. Always has good advice and some guidance(speaking from experience).
    Dempsey & Wizzard are good too and is around a fair bit

2nd col_loki

I'd also do it. I browse the forum a lot and know a reasonable amount.

Khannie wrote:
    2nd col_loki

I'd also do it. I browse the forum a lot and know a reasonable amount.

MMMMM.......... You would be another contender alpologies for not including you earlier - All hail Khan

Khannie has my support. And not just because I'm afraid of him in UT ;)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

If Khannie is up for it, then I'll discuss it with the mods of Computers and the admins and saving some egregious past offence or major objection I'll make him/her mod. I personally prefer to mod people who first of all get off their backsides and DO something like write a helpful set of entries, so no objection from me anyway.

DeV.

Cat among the pigeons - i know sorry.
    I was onto Gerry about cleaning the stickies awhile back and he said he would do it no worries but he was quite busy - he posted this to allow suggestions on help cleaning the forum up. Think its getting cluttered up a tad of late

Even if we had Col_Loki,Wizzard & Kannie (a dozen more i could name) as hosted mods they could do some cleaning and help people out as they are always around an know their stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,427 ✭✭✭Gerry

I didn't receive any pm's to sticky threads. The last pm I received was from Nukem, and I acted on that. I am pretty busy ok, would welcome Khannie as an extra mod.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Khannie now knighted Mod Of Computers. Arise Sir Mod.

DeV.

:D Thanks. I'll do my best to help keep the place in good order.

Khannie wrote:
    :D Thanks. I'll do my best to help keep the place in good order.

Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!! ---Linky---- almost brings a tear to my eye its so pretty.Look at all that free software.
    KHAN RULE COMMENCES

:D Happy to oblige good sir Nukem :D

Gee Khannie - if DeV had made you mod of the UT forum maybe we wouldn't have formed our own at www.unreal.ie </blatant plug> ;)

Advertisement