Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick-Foynes Rail Line

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

Treepole wrote: »
    It's happening alright. The line is obviously in a state of disrepair so firstly the vegetation will be cleared. There will also be structural repairs to be done to a number of the river crossings. Also the existing manual road crossing gates are to be replaced with automatic ones.

All they are doing is cutting some trees etc. so that a survey can be done to investigate what structural repairs are necessary and cost of same etc.. They won't go wasting money on automatic gates when they have no customers for the line yet.

You have made a mistake here, they are clearing vegetation. The line is not reopening as you stated in post #26.

While this is a positive development it must be pointed out similar work was done in Mayo / Sligo 6 or 7 years ago and nothing came of it. It may lead to something though so time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I assume strengthening and repairing the line and installing automatic level crossings would cost a fair bit - ( Irish rail says they cost a couple of million each ? )
    So it'd need a fair bit of traffic to make it worth while transporting ore by rail .

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

elastico wrote: »
    All they are doing is cutting some trees etc. so that a survey can be done to investigate what structural repairs are necessary and cost of same etc.. They won't go wasting money on automatic gates when they have no customers for the line yet.

You have made a mistake here, they are clearing vegetation. The line is not reopening as you stated in post #26.

While this is a positive development it must be pointed out similar work was done in Mayo / Sligo 6 or 7 years ago and nothing came of it. It may lead to something though so time will tell.

OK. Time will tell but I am extremely confident that I will be proved right. See you all in 9 months.

OK. Time will tell but I am extremely confident that I will be proved right. See you all in 9 months.

A stopped clock is right twice a day. You stated previously that the line is reopening and track repair work has already started.

Now you seem to agree this is no longer the case, you are just confident it might happen in the short term.

Which is it then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Lenton Lane

The work is to allow a study to go ahead, bear in mind restoration of rail freight is part of Foynes ports plans and that the line has been earmarked as part of the Ten-t core network.

So while I am cautiously optimistic that the study will be positive I also note the determination of some to constantly undermine any positive developments on rail.

• Advertisement

The work is to allow a study to go ahead, bear in mind restoration of rail freight is part of Foynes ports plans and that the line has been earmarked as part of the Ten-t core network.

So while I am cautiously optimistic that the study will be positive I also note the determination of some to constantly undermine any positive developments on rail.

Nobody is trying to undermine anything positive. On the one hand there is a letter from Irish Rail saying its clearance work for a study, and on the other we have an anonymous poster registering on boards to make a ridiculous statement that track repair work has started when clearly it hasn't.

The only one undermining anything positive is the one making up stories stating that the line is reopening and track repair work has started when clearly its nothing of the sort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

an anonymous new member backed up by another anonymous new member...it makes you wonder . Rather than undermine the project, it makes you wonder why someone is trying to talk up the project!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,301 ✭✭✭cgcsb

bear in mind restoration of rail freight is part of Foynes ports plans and that the line has been earmarked as part of the Ten-t core network.

So is DART underground but that never happened either, and that is by far a more economically vital project so you'll forgive my skepticism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭stevielenihan

Somebody should fire up the photos of the clearance works on the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,313 ✭✭✭✭Victor

corktina wrote: »
    an anonymous new member backed up by another anonymous new member...it makes you wonder . Rather than undermine the project, it makes you wonder why someone is trying to talk up the project!
    Keep it constructive please.

If you have a problem with a post, report it.

Speculation as to a user's identity is against the site rules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Paddico

How close are the new mines located to existed rail infrastructure?

Just north of Thurles so right beside the Cork Dublin line

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Paddico wrote: »
    Just north of Thurles so right beside at Cork Dublin line
    So as easy to go to Dublin, Waterford or even cork as foynes ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Is there still rail access to Cork port? Looks like the line is disconnected at the Fert, same as in Arklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

Just north of Thurles so right beside the Cork Dublin line

:rolleyes: The new mines being discussed here are no where near Thurles. They are out around Caherconlish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Airplane Man

Is the Foynes line likely to reopen?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭trellheim

No. Not unless someone stumps up the cash for the line and bridge renewals.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

The track is still there and trains can technically run on it (though its heavily overgrown with grass etc), but there will have to be a fair bit of maintenance before it can open fully.

Akin to the Phoenix Park Tunnel reopening I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

1huge1 wrote: »
    The track is still there and trains can technically run on it (though its heavily overgrown with grass etc), but there will have to be a fair bit of maintenance before it can open fully.

Few places they would need to take a running jump to get over the gaps :D

Considering the Phoenix park tunnel was an operating railway that got a bit of an upgrade vs Foynes being a closed railway that probably requires a complete relay I don’t see many valid comparisons.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

But the Phoenix Park Tunnel never closed, it has been in almost Daily used since it opened in 1877.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Hence my very Irish way of putting it
    but there will have to be a fair bit of maintenance before it can open fully.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Tender gone out for an investigation along the route by Shannon Foynes Port Company.

https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase_frameset.asp?PID=112841&B=ETENDERS_SIMPLE&PS=1&PP=ctm/Supplier/PublicTenders

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Tender gone out today for civil, environmental and structural consultantcy services along the line

https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase_frameset.asp?PID=115080&B=ETENDERS_SIMPLE&PS=1&PP=ctm/Supplier/publictenders

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭McAlban

Always thought this could provide a new commuter service for Limerick if re-opened and managed properly.

Rathkeale, Adare, Patrickswell, Raheen Business Park, Dooradoyle is a corridor for development.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Paddico

Has part of the rail line or embankments benn destroyed and built upon or is it possible to still run a train on it once its all been re-layed?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Has part of the rail line or embankments benn destroyed and built upon or is it possible to still run a train on it once its all been re-layed?

Technically, the line is still open, but has deteriorated so much, I doubt it a train could make the journey, even at very slow speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭trellheim

Yes, that is one end of the service - but what about the other end ? is Colbert a good place for them to end up ? you'd need to rebuild the Careys rd bridge to put back in the North Kerry line connection without needing a reversal at the Check cabin , but what if you built a spur where the Ennis line crosses the shannon, to UL ?

trellheim wrote: »
    Yes, that is one end of the service - but what about the other end ? is Colbert a good place for them to end up ? you'd need to rebuild the Careys rd bridge to put back in the North Kerry line connection without needing a reversal at the Check cabin , but what if you built a spur where the Ennis line crosses the shannon, to UL ?

[Crayonism]Well Rebuilding The Carey's Road Bridge would require demolishing the Irish Rail Sports and Social Club on Carey's Road too. But Hey Irish Rail have loads of land in the Area. Into Colbert is one option. Or Straight onto Castleconnell? With a New Stop out at Annacotty Business Park? Shuttle bus could connect to UL from there. [/Crayonism]

McAlban wrote: »
    [Crayonism]Well Rebuilding The Carey's Road Bridge would require demolishing the Irish Rail Sports and Social Club on Carey's Road too. But Hey Irish Rail have loads of land in the Area. Into Colbert is one option. Or Straight onto Castleconnell? With a New Stop out at Annacotty Business Park? Shuttle bus could connect to UL from there. [/Crayonism]

After what Trellheim Said: Over the weekend I thought a bit about this and decided to get the crayons out... Discuss...

422598.png

422599.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 falconio

Great work! 
    So basically you have two lines RathKeale to Roscrea and Ennis to Tipperary which are largely extant today.
    The hard bit is getting from the current terminus to Cratloe which would have to be underground / cut and cover for a few kms going by that map? 
    Limerick seems to have a great basis for a future metro / light rail system.
    Hopefully the regional cities won't end up like Dublin.

• Advertisement

falconio wrote: »
    Great work! 
    So basically you have two lines RathKeale to Roscrea and Ennis to Tipperary which are largely extant today.

Issue Being Both lines would need to be upgraded for safe speedy running.
    falconio wrote:
    The hard bit is getting from the current terminus to Cratloe which would have to be underground / cut and cover for a few kms going by that map? 

Yes, The entire Plan would not work without a Light Rail from UL - LIT and on to Shannon. Unfortunately to have an integrated network this requires connection to Colbert underground.
    falconio wrote:
    Limerick seems to have a great basis for a future metro / light rail system.
    Hopefully the regional cities won't end up like Dublin.
    In an Ideal World... It reminds me of the Forfas Plan for Dart :(

Advertisement