Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading from HDD (2 TB) to SSD (120GB upwards)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

Oh, I just found "Standard SATA AHCI Controller" in Device Manager. Does this mean it is already in AHCI mode? Is there anything else I should do to make the most of my SSD before/after I install it? Also I did see UEFI mentioned in the BIOS. I have updated to the latest BIOS available too.

Is there another forum I should be asking this question in seeing as I've picked the SSD and everything?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

daraghwal wrote: »
    Is there another forum I should be asking this question in seeing as I've picked the SSD and everything?

There isn't a chance in hell IDE mode is enabled if its even there, those devices don't require it. Besides, its been a good 8 years since I have seen a laptop shipping with IDE enabled by default. Install the SSD, don't worry about TRIM or IDE mode. Or the variant of Sata. It makes very little difference to day to day use.

So I got the SSD, installed it and now there is a different thing in device manager. It used to come up the way it was in the screenshot two posts back but now it is different after a clean install of windows 10?? I have attached a screenshot. Any ideas how to fix this? Also in Samsung Magician it comes up that it isn't enabled. I have attached two screenshots showing device manager and magician. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Just run the performance test and post a screenshot of the results. You might be ok if the operating system is working and you've everything installed? I don't think it makes a huge difference!

I do recall having to do this in the past -http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/15006-attn-ssd-owners-enabling-ahci-mode-after-windows-10-installation.html

But that was just something I had to adjust after cloning an old hard drive to get it into AHCI mode, I can't quite be sure you've same issue if you just did a fresh install..

Just be careful, if the peformance test results are good, you might be best leaving it off, because messing with the BIOS can cause more trouble than it's worth if anything goes tits up.

• Advertisement

Does this look ok to you? I don't have a clue about the benchmarks :D Also there is actually no mention of ahci or ide or sata, nothing like that in the bios.

Advertisement