Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannot post anonysmously

Options
  • 26-09-2016 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

Hi,
    I am unable to open a new thread anonymously in Personal Issues.
    I get the error message:

You do not have permission to post anonymously in this forum because the country you're trying to post from has been blocked due to spam.

Anonymous posting is available from Ireland and UK IP addresses only.

I would appreciate some help.

Comments

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Hi danielgalway, can you confirm that you are posting from an Irish/UK IP address and are not using a proxy?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭danielgalway

Yes, I am posting from Ireland, Galway to be exact.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Hi there, I am experiencing the same problem. I have posted anonymously before in PI but I am now getting the same error message as above. I am posting from Dublin.

Any feedback on this from Mods/Admin?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Are ye using mobile/touch by any chance? There was a time when you couldn't go anon on those. Don't know if it's changed.

• Advertisement

Nope, I'm using my trusty old laptop. On my lap. On my couch. In Ireland :)

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Mark was looking into this yesterday with the team, will see how far we've gotten :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Have tried to do this in the past. Could not do it. I am based in Cork. Have never ventured out of the country.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

I'm afraid that we can't replicate this at the moment, but we are trying to gather more information. Please try to post anonymously - it actually helps us if the error triggers (though at the same time we're hoping that you'll be able to use the site as you need to).

Hopefully we can find the cause of this error soon. Sorry about that.

Boards.ie Employee

Hopefully anonymous posting will work a little more reliably now. We're continuing to look into it though in case you're still running into issues.

• Advertisement

I just tried to start a thread anonymously in PI just to see if it would work - afraid not :(

Bump - this issue is still ongoing for me. Thanks.

Boards.ie Employee

Hey DoozerT6,

Sorry about that. Can I ask what browser, OS, and version of the site you're using? Have you cleared cache (just in case)?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    Bump - this issue is still ongoing for me. Thanks.
    Hey DoozerT6,

Sorry about that. Can I ask what browser, OS, and version of the site you're using? Have you cleared cache (just in case)?

The most likely causes for this are:
    A. You're a Virgin Media customer, they move IP blocks a lot and theres up to a 3month delay for the Geoloc services to catch up
    B. You're on a mobile provider that is ambiguous about IP location

1. Google "Whats my IP"
    2. Enter it here: https://www.maxmind.com/en/geoip-demo

That'll let you know where you are most likely being identified as.

ED E wrote: »
    The most likely causes for this are:
    A. You're a Virgin Media customer, they move IP blocks a lot and theres up to a 3month delay for the Geoloc services to catch up
    B. You're on a mobile provider that is ambiguous about IP location

1. Google "Whats my IP"
    2. Enter it here: https://www.maxmind.com/en/geoip-demo

That'll let you know where you are most likely being identified as.

Thanks a million for that Ed E - the link shows my IP address as being in Dublin, Ireland.

Hey DoozerT6,

Thanks Mark - I'm using Chrome (but I was using Explorer when the problem started), Windows 10 and I'm on the computer version (ie non-mobile version?) Sorry, I'm a bit of a Luddite on technology.

Clear cache -good idea. *googles how to clear cache*. :D

Boards.ie Employee

Thanks Mark - I'm using Chrome (but I was using Explorer when the problem started), Windows 10 and I'm on the computer version (ie non-mobile version?) Sorry, I'm a bit of a Luddite on technology.

Clear cache -good idea. *googles how to clear cache*. :D

I don't suppose the cache clearing did the trick, did it? Does browsing in an incognito window help at all?

Neither helped I'm afraid......still getting the same message.

Boards.ie Employee

Neither helped I'm afraid......still getting the same message.

It appears as though this issue is occurring because you're posting from an IPV6 address. If you were to post from a different location, you might not have this issue (as you'd be posting from a different IP) - obviously this isn't a viable permanent solution, so the tech folk are looking into it.

Just checking in. Still no bueno. I haven't tried posting from another location though, as my laptop pretty much stays in my living room.

• Advertisement

It appears as though this issue is occurring because you're posting from an IPV6 address. If you were to post from a different location, you might not have this issue (as you'd be posting from a different IP) - obviously this isn't a viable permanent solution, so the tech folk are looking into it.

As an aside, I've pretty much always posted from the exact same location, even before the problem started.

It's not a huge problem in the grand scheme of things but tbh I'd like to see a resolution if possible - there is the very odd occasion I'd like to post something anonymously, but I can't.

Boards.ie Employee

As an aside, I've pretty much always posted from the exact same location, even before the problem started.

It's not a huge problem in the grand scheme of things but tbh I'd like to see a resolution if possible - there is the very odd occasion I'd like to post something anonymously, but I can't.

Very understandable. Yes, we're hoping to be able to find some sort of fix. If you could try a proxy, you might be able to post anonymously that way.

Very understandable. Yes, we're hoping to be able to find some sort of fix. If you could try a proxy, you might be able to post anonymously that way.

What is a proxy?

Boards.ie Employee

What is a proxy?

It basically means it'll look like you're accessing Boards from elsewhere (a different IP address). And as it's your IP address that is likely causing issues, it seems like this would be a workaround of sorts.

Hi, I looked into a proxy IP, but honestly I'm not really comfortable messing around with these settings when I don't really know what I'm doing. I'd really just rather it be sorted.

Problem still remains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Boards.ie: Ronan

Just checked with the dev lads - there's a fix in the line. Will update you when I know more.

Just checked with the dev lads - there's a fix in the line. Will update you when I know more.

Thanks Ronan...

Hi Doozer,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you - a fix for this has been deployed, can you let me know if it's solved your issues?

Cheers
    R.

Hi Ronan, thanks for your perseverance :)

It appears that I can now reply anonymously to threads in PI, but just on a whim I tried to see if I could start a thread myself, and that's still a no-go. 'Blocked due to spam'.

• Advertisement

Will bounce it back to the dev lads and see what they say.

*UPDATE:
    The lads have pushed a fix that should sort thread creation also. Any chance you could try creating a thread and let us know how it goes?

Cheers
    R.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement