Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man gets hit by Train - Not Removed???

Options
  • 30-07-2009 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭

Can someone explain how this thread has not been locked and the link removed? It seems as though the video was leaked from the police investigation, as the AH Charter states that videos depicting such events that haven't "been officially released by proper channels should not be posted here" then surely this video contravenes the charter?

I assume there is a reason why it is still up, so can someone please point it out?
    Post edited by Shield on
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

+1 to the removal of this link.

I'm a fairly roley-poley, fun-loving chap at the best of times but this video still being allowed to be potentially watched by children is just ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Such action from a mod should not be condoned.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

+1 to the removal of this link.

I'm a fairly roley-poley, fun-loving chap at the best of times but this video still being allowed to be potentially watched by children is just ridiculous.

boards.ie is not responsible for parenting other people's children. If they are young enough to not understand what the thread title is and what the link is, and whether they should watch it or not, then their parents should be supervising their internet use.

That said, perhaps the AH mods could explain why a link containing an real, live human being being hit by a train is being left on the site?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,882 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Silverfish wrote: »
    That said, perhaps the AH mods could explain why a link containing an real, live human being being hit by a train is being left on the site?

He was asking for it if you ask me.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

boards.ie is not responsible for parenting other people's children. If they are young enough to not understand what the thread title is and what the link is, and whether they should watch it or not, then their parents should be supervising their internet use.

1. It's up there on the internet for all to see.
    2. We think that there is merit in it. It reminds people of the dangers of playing near live train tracks.
    3. We have banned users in some cases and removed a number of insensitive comments from that thread.
    4. I have received no admin / cmod request to remove the link and think that there is merit in it remaining.
    You can't just cover your eyes and pretend that bad things don't happen. Well. Not in AH anyway.
    My 2c.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

It's not the link that should be removed but members like "Alan Rouge" who think it's fun to make ironic posts at other people's expense.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

2. We think that there is merit in it. It reminds people of the dangers of playing near live train tracks.
    3. We have banned users in some cases and removed a number of insensitive comments from that thread.
    4. I have received no admin / cmod request to remove the link and think that there is merit in it remaining.
    You can't just cover your eyes and pretend that bad things don't happen. Well. Not in AH anyway.
    My 2c.

I think that should cover it for anyone else who asks, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    It's a youtube video with 300,000+ views that's been online since April.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SukTBSJJ4KM

Have you watched the video or are you just taking the mickey ?

I decided against watching it after reading the comments, I have no real desire to watch something like that. I haven't got a clue what its like, if it is real and the reactions are genuine then I think I made the right choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Its obvious that the boards mods dont want to take action on this. Check out the response I got on the Help Desk a while back.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055631944

Wasting his time!
    You are sick mods....sick!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,575 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Charco wrote: »
    Can someone explain how this thread has not been locked and the link removed? It seems as though the video was leaked from the police investigation, as the AH Charter states that videos depicting such events that haven't "been officially released by proper channels should not be posted here" then surely this video contravenes the charter?

I assume there is a reason why it is still up, so can someone please point it out?

+1 OP, I said on that thread that I'd take it to feedback and helpdesk but was actually warned off doing so by some of the 'higher ups'.
    I'm still ashamed I let that happen.

Well done for getting this out in the open.

• Advertisement

I decided against watching it after reading the comments, I have no real desire to watch something like that. I haven't got a clue what its like, if it is real and the reactions are genuine then I think I made the right choice.

Good man. You get to sleep at night.

Horse****. Then why the ****ing swear filter that ****ing blocks out half of the ****ing words in this sentence? Why place restrictions on the mythical super-sekrit humour forum nobody talks about? How come you can't lurk in the Thunderdome without being logged in? Where do we draw the line? You can police a few dirty words but a link to a man being struck by a train in the busiest forum on Boards is untouchable? I say "pah!" to that and deride you and all of your monsters.

Can't wait for this. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,882 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Jumpy. You and Charco are in the minority here. Sure its gruesome and might not be technidally suitable for children, but it also shows the real effects of playing near live tracks. If for no other reason this video should be left up as it shows just quick a train can approach at and the disastrous effects it can have.

Quazzie wrote: »
    Jumpy. You and Charco are in the minority here. Sure its gruesome and might not be technidally suitable for children, but it also shows the real effects of playing near live tracks. If for no other reason this video should be left up as it shows just quick a train can approach at and the disastrous effects it can have.

Tell that to my brain after seeing it. You get to pay for my therapy.

I decided against watching it after reading the comments, I have no real desire to watch something like that.

That's fine. You have the brainpower required to make up your own mind as to what you want and don't want to read on this site. Congrats!

So why don't you think that everyone else isn't able to make that decision also?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

I knew that dr.bollocko was trouble. Sure look at the name. Not suitable modding for anyone below 16yrs.swearing filter be Damned! Terrible.

Don't take it OP. The admins and those mods have some weird liberal video conspiracy going on and are silencing those speaking against it.
    I'm shocked at boards.ie and my fellow mods.

Quazzie wrote: »

We all know the dangers of driving a stolen Porsche and would like to warn the childer about those dangers, how come the Porsche girl photos haven't been posted? We all know you shouldn't visit Afghanistan if you're British/American, how come beheading videos aren't posted under "Cool Vids & Pics & Links?"

My 2c.

So what exactly is the point in having the AH charter? Was the video released by "Official Channels" because if it wasn't then it clearly contravenes the rule that I pointed out in the OP?

Nerin wrote: »
    I'm shocked at boards.ie and my fellow mods.

There's a simple solution for that. Maybe you should consider resigning ?

Nerin wrote: »
    I knew that dr.bollocko was trouble.

You're telling me. He often refers to himself as a real doctor and PMs me offering prescriptions to "any medicine may need, no questions asked. ;)" The man is clearly unhinged.

• Advertisement

Ponster wrote: »
    That's fine. You have the brainpower required to make up your own mind as to what you want and don't want to read on this site. Congrats!

So why don't you think that everyone else isn't able to make that decision also?

Because Boards doesn't work like that, it doesn't have a completely open policy where anyone can post any sh1t from the internet and people can decide whether they want to view it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I'm glad this has been drawn to attention.
    I watched the video the day it was posted and haven't slept since - I'm starting to fade away, it's not good.

But if you don't want to watch it - don't.
    Unrelated, I watched a video of a bloke getting mashed to smithereens by a racecar and it had no effect on me; that disturbs me

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Ponster wrote: »
    There's a simple solution for that. Maybe you should consider resigning ?

Maybe i will!

So what exactly is the point in having the AH charter? Was the video released by "Official Channels" because if it wasn't then it clearly contravenes the rule that I pointed out in the OP?

How does it clearly contravene the charter again? Is it obscene or uncomfortably realistic? Either way we are dealing in opinion here and not fact. Yours and mine differ.
    FFS.

Is it obscene or uncomfortably realistic?

duh?

Its a man getting hit by a train

brummytom wrote: »
    I watched the video the day it was posted and haven't slept since - I'm starting to fade away, it's not good.

Case in point. I'm not sure if everyone is aware of this, but young Tom here is younger than the average Boardsie. His account is testament to the damage the video has made to his nine-year-old brain and the trauma it could create to even younger posters like Piste, eVeNtIne et al.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Case in point. I'm not sure if everyone is aware of this, but young Tom here is younger than the average Boardsie. His account is testament to the damage the video has made to his nine-year-old brain and the trauma it could create to even younger posters like Piste, eVeNtIne et al.

+1.
    I have saw terrible things on this here internet, the aforementioned racecar, Tommy Cooper dying, 2girls One Cup; but nothing... nothing has sickened me more than this video. Videos like these are the reason society's in decline - people are living in a culture of death :( .

Doctor B, from someone in the health service, and most importantly a Michael Mcintyre fan! I'm disappointed Doc, I really am.

If I had anything better to do, then I'd leave boards in disgust.

Is it obscene or uncomfortably realistic?

What do you mean by "uncomfortably realistic"? Has it been confirmed whether or not the video is a fake or real?

What do you mean by "uncomfortably realistic"? Has it been confirmed whether or not the video is a fake or real?

I think if you saw it you'd probably agree that it is real.

• Advertisement

I think if you saw it you'd probably agree that it is real.

There he goes again, persuading more people to watch this sick video. Haven't you encouraged enough sleepless nights "Doc?" :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement