Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rosacea? What now..

Options
  • 09-07-2010 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭

Just back from the dermatologist who tell me I have Rosacea. She has put me on antibiotics but I gather from what she tells me and what Ive looked at online that its not going to cure me and it will probably get worse over time!

Any body have any experience with this- My skin is fairly clear at the min (first time in about 18 mths) Ive always had itchy eyes and redness around my nose but thought nothing of it, now my chin is quite red, it was only when the spots started on my chin that I really noticed it. (Im 29 and the spots only started last yr)

Now what.... is there anything I should be doing to reduce the likelihood of it worsening :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

We can't actually give you medical advice.

However there are green foundations which reduce the redness, and natural mineral makeups such as Sheer cover or Everyday minerals (cheaper!) which give fantastic coverage.

Probably not what you wanted though :/

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

My sister has got rosacea, it's fairly common from what I can gather. Things that can aggravate it include alcohol and spicy foods, as well as extreme temperatures especially switching suddenly between hot and cold environments. My sister found it worse in winter, when she would be walking outside in the snow and then go into her heated office/flat (that's why football managers, eg, Alex Ferguson, often have rosacea! Switching between the pitch and boardrooms). Stress, certain facial creams/makeup, coffee etc can set it off with her too

It is different with each person though I think, when she first found out she had rosacea someone suggested that she keep a kind of diary of when it flared up so she would identify what was aggravating it by looking at patterns. Funnily enough her alcohol-fuelled weekends away were a big trigger, so she's a lot more careful about drinking now. It might be useful for you to try that for a while - if your rosacea flares up and you realise it's often not long after you've had a curry dinner, for example, it could be helpful. It also could be helpful in identifying what doesn't set it off, so you're not denying yourself things you like! I hope that helps a bit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭LadyW

Hi forestfruits, I've had rosacea for years and it is manageable if you learn to recognise what triggers your flare-ups (as a previous poster also mentioned). These vary from person to person but the ones that affect almost all sufferers are spicy food, alcohol (for me it's red wine), stress and extreme heat/cold. I use skincare products by La Roche Posay and can recommend them highly. Make-up wise, I use Max Factor Lasting Performance foundation and it is fantastic for covering up my very red cheeks. Send me a PM if you want any more info... Probably won't be able to reply until Monday though.. sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Sinall

My brother has rosacea and has a top-up laser treatment every 6 - 9 months. He initially had 3 or 4 a few weeks apart (this was years ago) and now keeps it under control with a laser treatment every now and again. He tried the antibiotics/tablets prescribed by the doctor as well as a cream called Rosex. He found the Rosex quite good, but the laser treament definitely helped him to get a quality of life back. He found it very, very debilitating when it was at it's worst (about 5 yrs ago).

Homeopathy has also been a great help and it helps a lot of other issues in the body/emotionally at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

I have it as well and am getting referred to a dermatologist. From what I have read antibiotics only work when you are on them and it comes back when you go off them. Hopefully this is not the case. I don't want to go down the antibiotics road and hope I will get laser treatment. Let us know how you get on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

I know you can get special moisturisers that minimise redness such as clinique anti-redness & la roche posay rosaliac I think its called. If you are looking for cheaper options-see the brand aveeno/roc also do specific moisturisers.These might help a little. You can also get a daily protective base from clinique. Hope this helps a little

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

My mam developed it recently and had laser treatment for it which seemed to work quite well, she hasnt suffered a second time yet anyway.

My mam developed it recently and had laser treatment for it which seemed to work quite well, she hasnt suffered a second time yet anyway.

Did she get treated by a dermatologist or in a clinic? Do you know what type of laser was used?

mood wrote: »
    Did she get treated by a dermatologist or in a clinic? Do you know what type of laser was used?

I must check with her but as far as I remember she got it in a beauticians. I will check though.

It was diathermia she got, Chathan Medical Beauty in town do it, she had it in Dundalk in a medical beauty place.

• Advertisement

My brother had his initial laser treatment in 2005 with a dermatologist in the Bons Secours in Dublin and the second lot in a health/beauty clinic in Waterford. He found the second place better and that's where he gets the top up laser treatments now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭30lady

It was diathermia she got, Chathan Medical Beauty in town do it, she had it in Dundalk in a medical beauty place.

Is this treatment expensive?

30lady wrote: »
    Is this treatment expensive?

Couldnt say the price but I do recall my mam saying it was expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭30lady

Couldnt say the price but I do recall my mam saying it was expensive.

Thought as much! Must look into it in Galway. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Fragglefur

Hi Jane Iredale mineral make up is supposed to be great www.janeiredale.com

Fragglefur wrote: »
    Hi Jane Iredale mineral make up is supposed to be great www.janeiredale.com

It's good but not a cure or treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

I suffer from rosacea (particularly bad in winter, as you'd expect), and absolutely SWEAR by Eucerin dry skin replenishing face cream (about €8 in boots). Try it for a week (apply sparingly) and it may make a massive difference. Meanwhile, stay away from icy breezes and spicy foods!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Síle28

I have it too, same as a previous poster mentioned re her brother, had 3 or 4 laser treatments a week or two apart at the beginning and now I have a top up one once every 6 months or so and it keeps my skin from being red. I also use la roche posay moisturiser and never go out without it or at least some moisturiser with sunscreen in it on, it's the cold and wind that can cause it as much as sun in Ireland but spf seems to help for that too, so my dermatologist told me anyways ;) I really think the laser is the way to go, not too painful, its about €150 a go though but after the initial few once its only every 6 months its not so bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Idina

Hey all,
    I have just come across this thread. Delighted with some of the advice.
    I am a rosacea sufferer & wondering if any of you ladies found that the pill made the condidiotn worse?
    I was on microlite until christmas when I stopped taking it just to have a break. I have found that my face cleared up so much! I didnt know myself. The itching & burning went, the spots went & I was just a little red. I started taking microlite again a month ago again not thinking anything of it & my face is in a dreadful way again. Its burning, spotty & generally really bad & upsetting!
    Im off to the doc anyway in a few days to change my pill & discuss it but just wondering if anyone else noticed theis?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Hi,

I sometimes suffer from Rosacea. I found that using my mobile phone made it worse (have it on my right cheek). I think it was the heat from the mobile. Also stress, red wine (with tannin), and studying (I kept putting resting my face on my hand) made it worse.

I hardly ever got spots before this, and had nice skin so when I got rosacea it was a bit of a shock! I now have a boots sized collection of green cream and supreme coverage foundation.

I did keep a diary though and that seemed to work in order to determine what was causing the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭forestfruits

Thanks for all the replies, I still havnt gone to get the antibiotics- I dont have any spots at the min- I have scars and redness but that I can live with- nothing angry or sore.

I must try the La Roche Posay products as suggested, I was using dermalogica special cleansing gel and the daily microfoliant in an effort to clear up my skin- Couldnt be using anything worse- I was obviously just irritating my skin further. Im now using the ultraclaming cleanser and its much better.

Also have figured its not actually the end of the world! Its just a bit of redness:D

If you are looking for good makeup any good chemist that stocks Vichy will have Dermablend makeup which is specially formulated for skin irregularities and sensitivity. There are 3 parts to the product. I use it daily but have no scars or anything so I just use the foundation although there is a concealer, this even though expensive would last a fair amount of time, followed by the foundation and finally the setting powder. All in a set will cost around 60, powder and cleanser will last quite a while though. I get about a month out of a tube of foundation using it 5+ days a week.

mood wrote: »
    I have it as well and am getting referred to a dermatologist. From what I have read antibiotics only work when you are on them and it comes back when you go off them. Hopefully this is not the case. I don't want to go down the antibiotics road and hope I will get laser treatment. Let us know how you get on.

Does anyone know which private health insurance companies cover laser treatment for Rosacea or how I could find out?

It depends where you are getting the treatment done. My brother got his first lot done (5 years ago) in the Bons Secours in Glasnevin and that was covered by Bupa (which is now Quinn). That was the one that he didn't find great though and we paid the initial consultants fee ourselves - apprx €150 I think. His more recent laser treatments have not been covered by Quinn - he got these done in the Genesis Clinic in Waterford. It is pricey but definitely worth it. And now that he just gets one done every now and again the cost is fine. It made such a huge difference to his confidence and general happiness. I rang Bupa/Quinn to find out which places are covered so you could try that perhaps.

Sinall wrote: »
    It depends where you are getting the treatment done. My brother got his first lot done (5 years ago) in the Bons Secours in Glasnevin and that was covered by Bupa (which is now Quinn). That was the one that he didn't find great though and we paid the initial consultants fee ourselves - apprx €150 I think. His more recent laser treatments have not been covered by Quinn - he got these done in the Genesis Clinic in Waterford. It is pricey but definitely worth it. And now that he just gets one done every now and again the cost is fine. It made such a huge difference to his confidence and general happiness. I rang Bupa/Quinn to find out which places are covered so you could try that perhaps.

Could you find out what type of laser he got done. There are a few different types. Thanks.

Will do. He's in Canada at the moment but will get back to me today hopefully!

Sorry for taking so long to respond on this. My brother thinks it was just a regular IPL laser in the Bons in Glasnevin. He thinks the one in Genesis in Waterford might have been a Lumenis or Polaris laser but can't remember for sure. Their number is 051 854445 if you want to check with them

Sinall wrote: »
    Sorry for taking so long to respond on this. My brother thinks it was just a regular IPL laser in the Bons in Glasnevin. He thinks the one in Genesis in Waterford might have been a Lumenis or Polaris laser but can't remember for sure. Their number is 051 854445 if you want to check with them

Thanks. I'll ring them as soon as I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭NYCityBabe

Hi guys,

Just thought I'd throw in my two cents...

The only laser that will totally get rid of the redness associated with rosacea is the N-Lite laser.

I know this from wasting over €1,000 having the chromalite IPL done in one of the major private hospitals in Dublin. It just does NOT work for rosacea. It's great for skin rejuvination and hair removal, but will do nothing for redness. As I believe is the case with most of the IPL systems.

I have now had three sessions of N-Lite laser and 90% of the redness on my cheeks and nose has totally disappeared. I'm due one more session for a few very stubborn thread veins.
    Now this laser will leave most people quite bruised for up to ten days, so be warned! And, it is not ideal for everyone because of this. Make up will help to disguise the bruising.

But I cannot recommend the N-Lite enough. It has transformed my complexion and my confidence!

I would also recommend having it done by a medical trained doctor/dermatologist rather than the beauty clinics.

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭seensensee

Just back from the dermatologist who tell me I have Rosacea. She has put me on antibiotics but I gather from what she tells me and what Ive looked at online that its not going to cure me and it will probably get worse over time!

Any body have any experience with this- My skin is fairly clear at the min (first time in about 18 mths) Ive always had itchy eyes and redness around my nose but thought nothing of it, now my chin is quite red, it was only when the spots started on my chin that I really noticed it. (Im 29 and the spots only started last yr)

Now what.... is there anything I should be doing to reduce the likelihood of it worsening :confused:

Google "rosecea tea tree oil"

Advertisement