Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rebuilding Afghanistan

Options
  • 10-04-2009 9:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭

Its curious that antis will accuse NATO forces in A-Stan of being murderers, occupying etc, even though the mission has a UN mandate etc and democratic govt. Yet never mention the good work going on.

Heres a few of the things the Royal Engineers did in 2006-07, things most dont hear about.

By the end of the tour
    in March 2007, the Regiment had enabled
    the construction of over 80 projects with the
    number of municipal projects outnumbering
    security infrastructure projects. These
    projects included:
    • Two-storey reinforced concrete
    accommodation for trainee midwives
    at Lashkar Gah hospital.
    • Over 3km of new tarmac roads and
    concrete drainage system.
    • Over 30 classrooms and ablution blocks
    at a variety of schools across Helmand.
    • Eighteen new police stations and vehicle
    checkpoints.
    • Runway repairs and security works to
    re-open Bost airfi eld (the main access
    node for the UN and NGOs).

link broken.

http://www................rusi.org/downloads/assets/Sherwood_0207_RDS.pdf

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

But you do hear about that all the time, maybe not the specifics but in general you always hear politicians and the media use the words "rebuilding Afghanistan".

Tbh I would imagine theres alot more negatives than positives that you dont hear about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

lazybhoy wrote: »
    Its curious that antis will accuse NATO forces in A-Stan of being murderers, occupying etc, even though the mission has a UN mandate etc and democratic govt. Yet never mention the good work going on.

I wouldn't agree. Of all the campaigns that NATO has been involved in you very few people vilify the wests involvement in Afghanastan. The US invasion of Iraq was based on flimsy rationale, Saddam was no worse than many other regimes that are tolerated elsewhere. Without sanctions the Iraqis would have enjoyed an alright standard of living. In A-stan as you call it, there was a real breakdown of civilisation and ordinary people suffered in the name of religion.

I think the reason you don't see the good work going on is that military images sell TV news bulletins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭cabinteelytom

Public relations is a major role of the modern army on tour abroad; that, and covert operations which one only learns about years later. We may not have heard of accomodation built for midwives.... in Lashgah Gar they've probably heard of little else.
    Heard on the radio recently; in Afghanistan coalition nations spend 100 million dollars per day killing Afghans, and 3 million dollars a day aiding Afghans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭lazybhoy

Public relations is a major role of the modern army on tour abroad; that, and covert operations which one only learns about years later. We may not have heard of accomodation built for midwives.... in Lashgah Gar they've probably heard of little else.
    Heard on the radio recently; in Afghanistan coalition nations spend 100 million dollars per day killing Afghans, and 3 million dollars a day aiding Afghans.

They are not spending money killing Afghans :rolleyes:

They are spending money fighting the Taliban most of whom are Pakistani.

Do you have a link for your stat ?

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭TomRooney

Heres a few of the things the Royal Engineers did in 2006-07, things most dont hear about.

By the end of the tour
    in March 2007, the Regiment had enabled
    the construction of over 80 projects with the
    number of municipal projects outnumbering
    security infrastructure projects. These
    projects included:
    • Two-storey reinforced concrete
    accommodation for trainee midwives
    at Lashkar Gah hospital.
    • Over 3km of new tarmac roads and
    concrete drainage system.
    • Over 30 classrooms and ablution blocks
    at a variety of schools across Helmand.
    • Eighteen new police stations and vehicle
    checkpoints.
    • Runway repairs and security works to
    re-open Bost airfi eld (the main access
    node for the UN and NGOs).

link broken.

http://www................rusi.org/downloads/assets/Sherwood_0207_RDS.pdf

REALY why do you people keep posting rubbish about the British Army and there colonial conquests, Nobody cares what they do, this is Boards .IE as in IRELAND not boards .UK

you people realy need to stop this unhealthy obssosion with Foreign armys, we have our own you know.

ps i know there are 3 or 4 members of the PDF in AFG, but that doesnt justify a whole thread dedicated to the subject of british army

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

TomRooney wrote: »
    REALY why do you people keep posting rubbish about the British Army and there colonial conquests, Nobody cares what they do, this is Boards .IE as in IRELAND not boards .UK

you people realy need to stop this unhealthy obssosion with Foreign armys, we have our own you know.

ps i know there are 3 or 4 members of the PDF in AFG, but that doesnt justify a whole thread dedicated to the subject of british army

It is a military thread,wheres the harm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭lazybhoy

TomRooney wrote: »

Why do you post on another board and claim to be a supporter of Republican Sinn Fein ?

Yet on here a former member of the Irish army ......dont think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Question. If hypothetically, I was to ask certain posters on the military thread had they anything constructive to offer in a round about way, would I receive a ban?

Also, hypothetically of course, if I was to ask certain posters have they anything constructive to offer to said thread, but in a round about way mentioned that they have fcuk all constructive to say and should piss off because thet might be causing offence to members of the military thread, would I receive a ban?

And hypothetically, if certain posters opened their eyes they would see that there are many Armies mentioned here, good, bad and indifferant, and not all are British by the way would they take any notice? would I receive a ban?

Lastly, hypothetically of course...If I was to quietly mention to a certain poster that yes we know, what is going on, and the whys and wayfores and that if he/she was to stop preaching like a net generated Morpheus they might not get their ass banned as often as they brag about. Would I receive a ban?

There are a lot of posters here with plenty to offer, Manic, Leadership, Poc, Bigduffman, Local, etc. I truly enjoy dropping in for a scaze, to keep up to date with ALL things military and generally a bit of a p!sstake and in some small way offer my own..misely as they are. My intention has never been to nag or bemoan or attempt to belittle with info, browbeat with links to endless arguments. Would I receive a ban?

Apologies for going off topic, but I'm a bit pissed off as you've probably noticed. Long day, broke down, towed home and not in the best of humour but I still dropped in to have a scaze as I always do. Would I receive a ban?

For the record, Poster not pissed but 5 more and I will be..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Hard Larry

iceage wrote: »
    Question. If hypothetically, I was to ask certain posters on the military thread had they anything constructive to offer in a round about way, would I receive a ban?

Also, hypothetically of course, if I was to ask certain posters have they anything constructive to offer to said thread, but in a round about way mentioned that they have fcuk all constructive to say and should piss off because thet might be causing offence to members of the military thread, would I receive a ban?

And hypothetically, if certain posters opened their eyes they would see that there are many Armies mentioned here, good, bad and indifferant, and not all are British by the way would they take any notice? would I receive a ban?

Lastly, hypothetically of course...If I was to quietly mention to a certain poster that yes we know, what is going on, and the whys and wayfores and that if he/she was to stop preaching like a net generated Morpheus they might not get their ass banned as often as they brag about. Would I receive a ban?

There are a lot of posters here with plenty to offer, Manic, Leadership, Poc, Bigduffman, Local, etc. I truly enjoy dropping in for a scaze, to keep up to date with ALL things military and generally a bit of a p!sstake and in some small way offer my own..misely as they are. My intention has never been to nag or bemoan or attempt to belittle with info, browbeat with links to endless arguments. Would I receive a ban?

Apologies for going off topic, but I'm a bit pissed off as you've probably noticed. Long day, broke down, towed home and not in the best of humour but I still dropped in to have a scaze as I always do. Would I receive a ban?

For the record, Poster not pissed but 5 more and I will be..

Cheer up mate.

I hate it when cars and trucks break down :(

it just becomes a never ending circle of...
    MONEY, POWER, OIL, MONEY, OIL, POWER, MONEY, CONTROL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

I've had to say this in another thread already but it looks like I'll have to say it again.

THIS IS NOT THE CONSPIRACY THEORIES FORUM.

I don't have to mention names but if this ****e keeps happening in threads, Infractions and Bans are going to follow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭TomRooney

Why do you post on another board and claim to be a supporter of Republican Sinn Fein ?

Yet on here a former member of the Irish army ......dont think so.

what the hell are you talking about....?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

On that note, today is the first day of my Afghanistan deployment, involved with an ISAF Provincial Reconstruction Team. I will have a reduced presence on Boards for a while.

NTM

On that note, today is the first day of my Afghanistan deployment, involved with an ISAF Provincial Reconstruction Team. I will have a reduced presence on Boards for a while.

NTM

Have a safe one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Tribunius

Have a safe one.

I'll second that.

+1. Have a safe tour. Take loads of pics I'm told the light is amazing.

A tour of Duty in Las Vegas first,not to bad!:pac:

Sadly, we won't be around long enough to enjoy it.

Still, it's nice to have the squadron HQ there. I've spent a few weeks in Vegas at the taxpayer's expense in the past...

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Nicholas T Moran?? Sounds like a good old American boy to me!!!

Break a leg, or whatever the correct phrase is, you do us proud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Double post.

• Advertisement

Why was my post deleted?

Where is the specific reasoning for this kind of ignorance, and I would appreciate it back up. Thanks in advanced.

All the best mysterious:)

mysterious wrote: »
    Why was my post deleted?

Where is the specific reasoning for this kind of ignorance, and I would appreciate it back up. Thanks in advanced.

All the best mysterious:)

None of the deleted posts are going back up.

All the best, Poccington.

So you deleted it, cus you felt" like it?

You still haven't given reasoning, and so far you've proved nothing but ignorance on your part. That is not acceptable.

Let me guess. Ahhh... you posted that you would like to wish Manic Moran a safe trip, only drink bottled water, use plenty of sunblock and send a postcard??

Am I close? I doubt it.

mysterious wrote: »
    So you deleted it, cus you felt" like it?

You still haven't given reasoning, and so far you've proved nothing but ignorance on your part. That is not acceptable.

I have no reason to explain on here why I deleted the posts.

If you don't like it, take it to Help Desk. Keep questioning my decisions and claiming Forum members are ignorant, expect Infractions to follow.

iceage wrote: »
    Let me guess. Ahhh... you posted that you would like to wish Manic Moran a safe trip, only drink bottled water, use plenty of sunblock and send a postcard??

Did he? Cool. I think this is likely to turn into a blog thread...

http://www.fox5vegas.com/video/19204886/index.html
    http://www.fox5vegas.com/video/19214813/index.html
    http://www.fox5vegas.com/video/19244645/index.html

Currently in Camp Atterbury, Indiana. Just got our latest delivery of goodies. Army is starting to give us some very good kit now, the ECWS (snivel gear) provides a serious amount of flexibility, and seems to be good quality. Received a replacement MOLLE set, now in ACU instead of green, also the ruck got some improvements. Yet more vaccinations, but I escaped smallpox and anthrax courtesy of my previous jaunt. Being run ragged trying to get all our administrative stuff out of the way before going into the training cycle proper.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Did he? Cool. I think this is likely to turn into a blog thread...

http://www.fox5vegas.com/video/19204886/index.html
    http://www.fox5vegas.com/video/19214813/index.html
    http://www.fox5vegas.com/video/19244645/index.html

Currently in Camp Atterbury, Indiana. Just got our latest delivery of goodies. Army is starting to give us some very good kit now, the ECWS (snivel gear) provides a serious amount of flexibility, and seems to be good quality. Received a replacement MOLLE set, now in ACU instead of green, also the ruck got some improvements. Yet more vaccinations, but I escaped smallpox and anthrax courtesy of my previous jaunt. Being run ragged trying to get all our administrative stuff out of the way before going into the training cycle proper.

NTM

In the second Video where the National Guardsman is Saluting whoever is in the Suit, Is that Guardsman you? Look like you from the pics you posted Elsewhere.

No, that's the Squadron Commander. He's almost my height, wears the same colour cav hat.
    Guy in suit is governor.
    NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

No, that's the Squadron Commander. He's almost my height, wears the same colour cav hat.
    Guy in suit is governor.
    NTM

Ya, I was wondering why "you" were a Lt. Col. there, makes sense now thanks.

• Advertisement

Just got to watch those Manic moran, thanks. 12 month deployment with US forces FFS and in some cases an extention to 15 months! It seems that this is to become the norm with US forces overseas and with other forces as well, Leadership you might be able to cast light on this for me, my understanding was that all UK forces say, deployed to oversea theatre for no longer than a 6 month period, is this to change?

Advertisement