Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pointless

Options
  • 08-03-2010 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,432 ✭✭✭✭

I'm after indulging myself in a packet of Thai Sweet Chili's - very nom nom btw. Horror of horrors I'd forgotten to bring my book so I ended up reading the literature that was on the packet. Apparently it's "made with real ingredients".

Well imagine my relief. I can sleep safe in the knowledge that Walkers don't trip it off to Never Never Land for their flavourings and potatoes. Made with real ingredients..... as opposed to what; imaginery ones?

Seriously; who gets paid to come up with this ****? Cos I want that job. Anyone else got any pointless blurb you've seen written on food packets or any packets of anything in fact?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

"Contents are hot" on takeaway coffee cups.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

Not food but Vanish for clothes 'with special stain seeker technology'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Techron cleans your engine

• Registered Users Posts: 14,432 ✭✭✭✭cson

Jesus CIA much? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

cson wrote: »
    I'm after indulging myself in a packet of Thai Sweet Chili's - very nom nom btw. Horror of horrors I'd forgotten to bring my book so I ended up reading the literature that was on the packet. Apparently it's "made with real ingredients".

Well imagine my relief. I can sleep safe in the knowledge that Walkers don't trip it off to Never Never Land for their flavourings and potatoes. Made with real ingredients..... as opposed to what; imaginery ones?

Seriously; who gets paid to come up with this ****? Cos I want that job. Anyone else got any pointless blurb you've seen written on food packets or any packets of anything in fact?

I seen some pointless blurb written in an opening post once.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Warning: Threads posted in After Hours may be pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

The word newspaper prominently displayed on copies of the SINDO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

cson wrote: »
    Jesus CIA much? :eek:
    Sorry, I don't know what that means?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

That's actual technology man. There's stain seeking nanobots in Vanish. It's all very high grade military industrial complex cleaning technology.
    stovelid wrote: »
    The word newspaper prominently displayed on copies of the SINDO.

That's just false advertising surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Bifidus Digestivum....

I can do science me!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

On a bottle of bleach,'caution, contains bleach'

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

On a packt of Smoke XXXX "not for human consumtion"

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Dr. Feelgood

"may contain nuts" on packets of peanuts is pretty pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

"Do not read while box is open" is written on the bottom of boxes of Celebrations sweets.

"Do not operate heavy machinery after consumption" on Boots' version of Calpol under-six's

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

"may contain nuts" on packets of peanuts is pretty pointless.

I'd be pretty pissed if i bought peanuts that DIDNT contain nuts tbh

"do not iron clothes while being worn" yes that is a real iron warning label, never underestimate the influence one moron can have on the rest of us

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭bazmaiden

Warning: Not for human consumption - Any item of head shop paraphernalia

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

I do feel that all these new pro biotic type yogurt drinks just steal their new "ingredient" names from the Harry Potter books. Bifidus activus regularus! *waves wand at cholesterol*.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Contains Milk

On a milk carton :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

I just bought a pair of running shoes and was told "scientists at NASA were paid €1m each to design the best running shoes and this is what they produced!" I had just paid for them; delivering a ridiculous sales pitch after making the sale is pointless at best and bloody annoying at worst!

Sports brands have too much money and NASA has far too much free time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

jokettle wrote: »
    I just bought a pair of running shoes and was told "scientists at NASA were paid €1m each to design the best running shoes and this is what they produced!" I had just paid for them; delivering a ridiculous sales pitch after making the sale is pointless at best and bloody annoying at worst!

Sports brands have too much money and NASA has far too much free time.

great, give me €1m to design a shoe and I'll go out and buy a pair of aisics, take off the label and hand them over. €999,860 up on the deal :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

great, give me €1m to design a shoe and I'll go out and buy a pair of aisics, take off the label and hand them over. €999,860 up on the deal :D

140 euro to buy a pair of runners? Id want at least 2m to do that job then, think about it man your only left with €999,860

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Children's cough medicine: May cause drowsiness. Do not opearte heavy machinery. :rolleyes:

Lil Kitten wrote: »
    Children's cough medicine: May cause drowsiness. Do not opearte heavy machinery. :rolleyes:

I can see a reason to this. Its to stop people going. The childrens one doesn't have the warning on it. Maybe ill just take that one and go into work!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Lil Kitten wrote: »

What if you're Luke and 5 and your dad's Bruce Lee, who drives you round in his JCB?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

"Serving suggestions" on boxes of some foods, where the picture just shows the food on a plate.

Serving suggestion = a plate! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Magnus wrote: »
    "Contents are hot" on takeaway coffee cups.

Now that really is stupid. What about two hours later? Are the contents still hot?

Now that really is stupid. What about two hours later? Are the contents still hot?

THIS is the reason for that warning!

Read the verdict section!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

I saw a dog bed box that had "dog not included" on it. A proud moment for the human race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

On a Star Wars space ship in a toy shop: "Toy displayed in a fantasy setting."

Also, can somebody explain to me precisely how one "takes" something internally? On a bottle of TipEx I bought earlier, it said, "if taken internally, consult a doctor." WTF does that mean?

Advertisement