Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs/Clubs on Thurs night (Good Friday etc)

Options
  • 11-04-2006 1:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭

Are they really closed at 12? Because I see on entertainment.ie loads of them are only opening at 11 like the pod, club m, etc.. thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I dunno what the situation is this week but I can only tell you that a club in Kilkenny was raided at 00:30am (an hour and a half after opening) in the early hours of Good friday, a few years back, and everyone was kicked out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

That would be crazy, and I doubt those places plan on closing at 12. Feckin backwards country..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭PullMyFinger!

All clubs and bars must have premises cleared by 12 on Thursday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

The guards came in and cleared my local at 23:55 last year, everyone has to be out by midnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭fireblade1

I was in the Kings Head last holy thurs and we had to be out by 12 methinks !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

madness really that the backward laws in this country havent been changed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

You can only legally but booze on good Friday on either a train or a pub in a train stations pub such as oslo in Connolly Station but you have to have a valid train ticket

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

If they don't close by midnight then zombie Jesus rises from his grave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

Well I was in a nightclub for holy Thursday last year and they were open but just not serving e.g. bars were not open.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Please leave this topic die quickly. I hate being reminded I live in such a backwards country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

Well I was in a nightclub for holy Thursday last year and they were open but just not serving e.g. bars were not open.
    this is what most clubs will do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Most clubs will probaly close. Its the same as christmas eve/day. As soon as it hits 12 they will close. Dublin clubs wont risk there license or hassle to open.

However you could ring the club to find out. But i cant see them staying open when they cant serve drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭cousin_borat

It's one day out of the year, sheesh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

Exactly ya still have Saturday and Sunday night so chillax the cacks :rolleyes: .... plus there is also the possibility of house parties :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭nuttz

Sleepy wrote:
    Please leave this topic die quickly. I hate being reminded I live in such a backwards country.

If so many of ye think you live in backwards country, why don’t you just emigrate?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭raheny red

indiewindy wrote:
    You can only legally but booze on good Friday on either a train or a pub in a train stations pub such as oslo in Connolly Station but you have to have a valid train ticket

So could I buy a single ticket from Conolloy to Clontarf or something cheap like that and get in? :p:o :eek: :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

...and the reason for the government trying to prevent me from buying a drink on the first day off* of the longest weekend of the year is?

I'm sure that pubs etc would have no problem being open on what would be a fairly busy day for them otherwise.

*The fact that it's not a proper public holiday should be sorted out as well, but thats another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,476 ✭✭✭✭kippy

...and the reason for the government trying to prevent me from buying a drink on the first day off* of the longest weekend of the year is?

I'm sure that pubs etc would have no problem being open on what would be a fairly busy day for them otherwise.

*The fact that it's not a proper public holiday should be sorted out as well, but thats another thread.

Along with Christmas it is one of only two days in the year........do something different.....

I think this is one of possibly three threads opened on this topic, and I am sure the same threads appear on an annual basis.
    Kippy

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

kippy wrote:
    Along with Christmas it is one of only two days in the year........do something different.....

The something different that I want to do though might be to go to the pub though. Every other day of the year I'm stuck in an office so why should I not be allowed to spend the day how I want having a pint or two?

There is no reason for the pubs to be shut on good friday as far as the publicans or their customers are concerned. On christmas day they may possibly not get a whole lot of buisness so it might not be viable for them to open, but a good few pubs would be open then in the UK for a few hours and their drinking habits are not hugely different to Irelands.

kippy wrote:
    I think this is one of possibly three threads opened on this topic, and I am sure the same threads appear on an annual basis.

So there must be a good few people that think it's about time this rule was changed.

So you spend all the bank holiday mondays, paddies day, stephens' day, new years eve etc in your office-do you not think these are enough options to be away from your office....

Why do you feel the need to go to a pub on this day more than any other?

Frankly this is one of the things I do not want to see dissappear from modern Ireland.

• Advertisement

Why? Do you like forcing your religious beliefs on others?

TBH, I'll be spending this friday hiking rather than sitting in a pub. However, I do not see it as anybody's right to tell me that I can't go for a pint that evening if I want to do so because of their belief that some guy rose from the dead two thousand years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭raheny red

Sleepy wrote:
    because of their belief that some guy rose from the dead two thousand years ago.

That's Easter Sunday ;) we're allowed to get pished on that day :p:D:)

Uhm, I was referring to the entire basis of the religion, not the fact that this weekend is their celebration of nailing the same guy to the cross ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

But you'll happily take the day off. That bit of religious belief being forced on you doesn't seem to upset you as much.

Why? Do you like forcing your religious beliefs on others?

TBH, I'll be spending this friday hiking rather than sitting in a pub. However, I do not see it as anybody's right to tell me that I can't go for a pint that evening if I want to do so because of their belief that some guy rose from the dead two thousand years ago.
    You've probably also no problem taking Paddies, Christmas etc off from work either even though they too are linked heavily with "religious beliefs"...
    Do you think that these holidays should be forced on you as well.....because someone believes in St Patrick or that Jesus was born.....

I am not forcing anything on anyone, just wondering why some many people cant just accept it.....its a part of Ireland, linked with religion of not if the pubs were open it would be the same as any other day of the year.....(baring Christmas)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

So how many of you are buying Easter eggs and christmas presents?

kippy wrote:
    You've probably also no problem taking Paddies, Christmas etc off from work either even though they too are linked heavily with "religious beliefs"...
    Do you think that these holidays should be forced on you as well.....because someone believes in St Patrick or that Jesus was born.....

I am not forcing anything on anyone, just wondering why some many people cant just accept it.....its a part of Ireland, linked with religion of not if the pubs were open it would be the same as any other day of the year.....(baring Christmas)

But on any other public holiday day (ignore christmas) no one is trying to tell me how I should be spending that day so someone is trying to force their view point on me. Every country gives it's citizens various national public holidays but why should this one day have different restrictions on what you can and can't do from any other public holiday?

My main problem is actually that the day is not a proper holiday day so I have to go into work, although I won't be staying for long, but because every where is shut there is nowhere for me to go to get any lunch.
    bluewolf wrote:
    So how many of you are buying Easter eggs and christmas presents?

No and no. Bah humbug.

Although I might buy myself an easter egg.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I don't drink an awful lot, or rather I don't drink frequently ;) But the fact that they tell me I can't... doesn't my head in, so I'm having a big house party! \o/

All welcome btw :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

robinph wrote:
    My main problem is actually that the day is not a proper holiday day so I have to go into work,
    Thats what gets me. The government refuse to think it is special enough to make a public holiday, so I have to work. But they think it is special enough to close pubs for? why is that? whats the logic behind it? did jesus say "put down ye flagons" while he was nailed to the cross or something?

I have to work yet cannot enjoy a simple pint after work like I do every other friday.

And people always say "its only one day a year", same with christmas, so its 2 days a year. When could we start moaning, 5 days, there are 100's of other holy days that also are not public holidays? if your birthday was deemed a no-drinking day?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Chris P Duck

I dont see what the problem is. This country seems like it can not operate without alcohol. Its so funny. Holy Thursday is one of the busiest days of the year apart from christmas time for off licences. Its only 24 hours for god sake. You will still be alive on Saturday, and you can have a drink then.

Have any of you ever thought about the publican. Is he not entitled to a holiday? Im sure they are happy to close on good friday.

Advertisement