Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poledancing??? Fitness???

Options
  • 13-03-2008 12:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭

Hey, I'd never usually post in this forum so hello everyone, I'm new!! :D

So I'm 19, size 8 and always considered myself quiet active until recently! I'm a student and I work so I seem to have NO time to join a class or gym etc. I trained in karate for 8 years and danced for about a year and a half. Also I've done yoga and aerobics so I'm really hating not being involved in something to stay fit.

Lately I've been paranoid about putting on weight but I really don't like the idea of 'being on a diet'. I follow the special K one every now and again but I think in my case it's more a matter of needing excercise!

Anyway there's poledancing classes starting soon on the one evening I'm not busy!! Seems great but I'm just curious if anyone here has tried it before?? It's only to stay fit and it's supposed to be great fun. If anyone has tried it can they tell me about it please. Is it really hard??

Thanks
    :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Lurvely

I posted a thread on this earlier today, got no replies yet though..im starting it now myself this week..loads of my friends do it & they love it! Some of the moves are apparently tricky to get a handle on but they all love it, ill let ya know how i get on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

oh brilliant thanks :) the classes I looked at are starting next week so I'm trying to get some feedback on it!! Thanks for the reply!!

Oh and could somebody let me know WHAT exactly we're expected to do.. I know it sounds silly but is it all revovled around the actual pole or is it like a normal dance routine that involves a pole?? hahaha... sorry about the silly questions!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Froot

I would assume that the idea of poledancing classes is fr more attractive than a generic aerobics class.

If it's done properly there i no doubt it will benefit you in some way. There are, however, a million alternatives so don't limit yoursef to poledancing :)

I'm not limiting myself, I have been active in many other things too as I said above. I'm interested in doing this as it is close to my home and is on the one night I have off every week. It's the only class available to me with my job and college. The class is set up as a fitness class rather than learning to become a poledancer (sorry I should've mentioned that above). I was just wondering what exactly a class involves..:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Froot

I hope it works out for you, I heard good things :)

• Advertisement

Haha me too, thank you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

A friend of mine in work does every kind of activity you could mention. She runs marathons and has done a few ultra's, so is well up for hard work and she loves the workout that a poledancing class gives her.

Sorry, thats about all the feedback i can give you i fear!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

How did you find the classes Dragan :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

Whenever I hear of things like Polecize and stuff like that, I always think of that episode of Black Books where the girl is talking about the class she used to go to, Circusize, that was run by a clown...

"And step forward, honk the horn and throw the bucket!"

Still, if it's fun and keeps you coming back, more power to you!

Roper wrote: »
    "And step forward, honk the horn and throw the bucket!"

Oh Lord.....:eek:

• Advertisement

Attended my first class 2nite & it was brilliant craic!!

Really? That's great, was it hard?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

MizzLolly wrote: »
    Really? That's great, was it hard?

Giggidy.

Can people go and watch?

The moves were hard to get right, it takes ya a couple of classes to get them apparently, i couldnt do them at the first class anyways!! While funny trying to do them though. You be a wee bit sore the day after, your arms especially, but really sore the day after that!

And no Johnnyskeleton, people cat go and watch, not at the class i attend anyways!

Sorry Mr. Skeleton, not unless you wana actually join the class!! :rolleyes:

Lurvely, I'll give it a try so, if I can get the money on time that is! Hahaha.. thanks:)

I just attended my 2nd class 2nite & im hooked!!

Aww that's great!! What exactly do you have to do though??? :confused:

U do a warm up first, stepping either side of the pole etc, then you do strength exercises involving the pole, such as pulling yourself up..you do sensual movements & then they show you some swings, you do a wee dance routine at the end & then cool down!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Lurvely wrote: »
    You be a wee bit sore the day after, your arms especially, but really sore the day after that!

Giggidy.
    MizzLolly wrote: »
    unless you wana actually join the class!!

Giggidy Giggidy.
    U do a warm up first, stepping either side of the pole etc, then you do strength exercises involving the pole, such as pulling yourself up..you do sensual movements & then they show you some swings,

Giggidy Giggidy Giggidy.
    you do a wee dance routine

That one is also sexual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Grow up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

I did 6-week poledancing course last spring.
    It's loads of fun I have to say, but it won't make you fit. ok, maybe it won't make ME fit. it's only one class a week and there you have to share 'your' pole with other 3 girls. I go to regular gym and do loads of weight lifting (I have no patience for cardio) so all the stuff we did during the classes was too easy for me. I could do all the moves no problem then but now everything is forgotten.
    In my opinion if you want to get some real use of it you have to get your own pole at home to be able to practise any time you feel like it (and that's over 200euros for the decent pole and then asking landlord's permission to install it in rented accomodation). It's good fun again but don't expect some enormous results...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

j@utis wrote: »
    and that's over 200euros for the decent pole
    For €200 I kitted myself out with a lot of equipment, capable of far more exercises. If you are just hanging from poles doing arm exercises, you could probably do the same on a €11 chinning bar. Women will find chinups difficult though. You can put a strong towel over it and just hang, probably do the same job as the pole. In some houses you could put the towel around railings on the stairs and hang from it, or do pullups if you can manage any.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

it's far from just 'hanging on'. you use your legs, arms, abs and back muscles in different moves. you just have to have your own pole to do 'homework' for some visible results.
    p.s. I can do a couple of chinups, maybe three :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

it's far from just 'hanging on'. you use your legs, arms, abs and back muscles in different moves. you just have to have your own pole to do 'homework' for some visible results.
    p.s. I can do a couple of chinups, maybe three :D
    Yep, I didnt mean those comments in a bad way. Just supporting youself like I mentioned is a good workout for beginners. And if you want to practise at home for the class it would help. Most men off the street could not manage a chinup, let alone the average woman, so 3 is very good going. Women in the US marines are not even expected to do a single one AFAIK.

If you hang from a chin bar or pole you can do leg raises and generally just try and move around which will work a lot of muscle groups. Trying to pull up just a little and dropping down will help. Or doing "negatives", e.g. standing up on a chair and lowering yourself down from the chinning bar.

Once you are good at the basics you can try some more advanced moves on the pole. Like this guy ;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

that's over 200euros for the decent pole and then asking landlord's permission to install it in rented accomodation..

Off topic - imagine the look on the landlords face when you ask him if you can install a pole dancing pole in his property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Kalakick

I know this is a little out of date but I thought I'd put in my two cents worth,

I have been pole dancing for about a year, and I've only ever done it once a week. Trust me, thats as much as any beginner can survive at first!

If you think that it doesn't do enough, I advise you to go onto youtube and have a look at some of the better pole dancers there- they are more ripped than most any other female sport (and I've been training in thai kickboxing for about 5 years). It is great for core strength, lower abs (its like a miracle cure- no more situps and a better stomach!), and of course upper body strength. Its not so great for cardio fitness, as you don't tend to to long routines at first until you get the hang of most of the moves. As you progress it becomes less about swinging round a pole and more about holding poses/moves- sort of like flexible horizontal yoga!

It can be very painful- chafing in places you don't expect to chafe, and more bruises than I get from kickboxing sparring! But I love it- its so rewarding when you get a move that you've been trying for weeks, and as cliche as it sounds it gives you loads of body confidence. Depending on where you are doing classes, they may or may not wear heels in class, but i'm sure they'll be fine with what you're comforable in.

Yes, its expensive, but f*ck me its worth every penny

Kalakick wrote: »
    I have been pole dancing for about a year, and I've only ever done it once a week. Trust me, thats as much as any beginner can survive at first!

Jesus, that is something coming from someone at your level of fitness!!! :eek:

I also post on the MA board you see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Kalakick

haha i'm so far from fit right now its disgusting! Three months travelling & off training will do that to anyone! I'm almost dreading hitting the pads/pole again, I'll collapse on the floor in the first round!

(don't tell the MA guys about the pole dancing- the slagging would be endless! :p)

haha i'm so far from fit right now its disgusting! Three months travelling & off training will do that to anyone! I'm almost dreading hitting the pads/pole again, I'll collapse on the floor in the first round!

(don't tell the MA guys about the pole dancing- the slagging would be endless! :p)

LoL, never mind the slagging, i imagine the PM's you would get would be something else!!! :D

Anyway, best of luck on the road back to tip top shape, i'm sure it won't be easy but it will be fun!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭HammerHeadGym

...(don't tell the MA guys about the pole dancing- the slagging would be endless! :p)

Too late.

MU HU HA HA

Advertisement