Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pole-Dancing Classes (nothing to do with stripping!)

Options
  • 08-11-2005 9:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭

Pole-dancing classes are starting in the next two weeks in Lucan. Email Keith at info@polestars.ie for more info.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

sounds good.. think there are some starting in town too.. found this thread on fashion.ie boards..
    Just thought I'd drop a post to let you know that International Dance Academy on Ormond Quay are doing pole dancing classes every Wednesday and Thursday. I think the current sessions have been filled but that they are adding more classes soon. You can call them on 01 8874536 or 087 2024573

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭NoDayBut2Day

I know it's gonna sound like a dumb question, but what exactly *is* pole dancing? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I wasn't sure, when I saw this topic, whether it was going to be allowable or whether it'd fall under the hammer of moderation, but to be honest, it seems perfectly fine.
    I know it's gonna sound like a dumb question, but what exactly *is* pole dancing? :p

It's dancing. Around a pole.

Like what strippers do in clubs (eh, so I'm told...) except it's purely for fun and exercise, apparently.

http://www.polestars.ie/ for more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭CarolLorraine

Pole dancing is very in right now. Angeline Jolie, Kate Moss, Kelly Brook - they're all doing it!

I'm not surprised the classes at the International Dance Academy have been filled. There is only one pole.

However unfortunately on the classes I mentioned above, I got this email on the same day as I was sent info on those classes;

"Ladies,

Due to overwhelming demand our courses in Lucan next week are fully booked.
    We apologise for the disapointment, but we will be announcing further
    courses and venues in the near future.

Thank you for your patience.

Regards,

The Polestars Team."

Just goes to show how popular it is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭NoDayBut2Day

Bard wrote:

It's dancing. Around a pole.

Like what strippers do in clubs (eh, so I'm told...) except it's purely for fun and exercise, apparently.

http://www.polestars.ie/ for more

I had a feeling... interesting. I didn't know they offered public classes for stuff like that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Hi all,

I just came across this thread now. I know that advertising isn't allowed on boards but I just want to comment on some of the quotes here.

Yes, we started our Lucan classes a few days ago. Due to over whelming demand, we decided to run two nights of classes. Unfortunately even running two nights, in the run up to Christmas, still left a lot of disappointed girls out there. We have now secured a City Centre venue too and hope to run a few taster sessions there before Christmas. After Christmas, we shall be running Lucan and City Centre classes.

What *is* pole dancing? It's exactly what it says on the tin. It is dancing with the aid of a pole. It's a sexy form of dancing usually associated with gentlemen’s clubs, lap dancing clubs etc. We are not affiliated with any such adult entertainment clubs. We are 100% female friendly. Men are not allowed to watch the classes or participate. We don't even allow other girls to watch if they are not students. It is for fun, fitness, confidence building, feeling sexy about yourself among other things.

Bard, I can understand your initial concern, but rest assured, there is nothing seedy about our courses. We do our utmost to stay away from that side of things.

As far as how popular our classes are. For example, we have had about 300 girls wanting places within the past month or two. We can only accommodate between 10 to 15 girls per night [5 girls per pole], depending on how many poles we can safely fit into each venue. This obviously left a few people feeling disappointed and left out. We are going to try structure our classes to over lap in the future so there will not be so long a wait.

If anyone has anymore questions about our courses, feel free to send us an email or reply to this thread.

Thank you IrishTLR. I've a couple of questions..:

Where did this form of pole-dancing for exercise originate?

Why is it only for girls? I'm sure there are plenty of guys (admittedly plenty of them gay, or at least very camp) who might like to try it out.

Considering this isn't an exhibition thing, does it really fit into "Theatre/Performing Arts" or would it not be more suited to the Fitness board?

Cheers,

Bard wrote:
    Where did this form of pole-dancing for exercise originate?
    I have no idea. I don't claim to be an expert in the history of pole dancing :)

*Edit* I've re read your question :) I can however give you a brief history of how Polestars UK started, which we are a franchisee, if you would like.

Bard wrote:
    Why is it only for girls? I'm sure there are plenty of guys (admittedly plenty of them gay, or at least very camp) who might like to try it out.
    In short, our courses are for girls only because it is. We are attempting to take poledancing back from men, and give it to women. There very well may be men out there that would like to attend. They will not be attending our classes. We operate a strict 100% female friendly operation. There maybe other options for men out there but I am unaware of any.

Bard wrote:
    Considering this isn't an exhibition thing, does it really fit into "Theatre/Performing Arts" or would it not be more suited to the Fitness board?
    I agree 100%, however, I did not start this thread and would never start such a thread, only respond. Feel free to move or delete as you see fit.

Okay, I will.

Considering this technically isn't anything to do with Performing Arts and is more to do with fitness, I'm moving it to a more appropriate board.

Cheers,

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Saw this featured on Oprah Winfrey a few weeks ago - it is the latest keep fit fad, it looked brilliant, if I didn't have a bad back, I'd be signing up for classes now. But the girls from the audience who participated really enjoyed it. The girls felt more fit, totally energised, very confident and much more attractive. Beats the usual aerobics class!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Debbio69

for anyone, like myself, who didnt get a place on any of the courses, Urban Outfitters in templebar sell the poles which you can, eh hem, erect in your house, iwantoneofthose.com also have them. That way you have more pole time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

debbie - do you know if the ones in urban outfitters can support full body weight?
    the ones on iwantoneofthose.com specifically say they do not support full body weight.
    i have a friend who is an ex-lapdancer and i reckon she'd love one for her house - she really misses the fun and exercise from dancing around the pole!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Charles Darwin

IrishTLR wrote:
    In short, our courses are for girls only because it is. We are attempting to take poledancing back from men, and give it to women. There very well may be men out there that would like to attend. They will not be attending our classes. We operate a strict 100% female friendly operation. There maybe other options for men out there but I am unaware of any.
    But isn't that the attitude that got Portmarnock Golf Club into all that bother? Our golf club is for men only because it is. There may well be women out there who want to join. They will not be joining our club. We operate a strict 100% male friendly operation here at Portmarnock. There may be other options for women out there, but we at Portmarnock are unaware of any. etc., etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

I did the class in lucan its brilliant fun def recommended!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

But isn't that the attitude that got Portmarnock Golf Club into all that bother? Our golf club is for men only because it is. There may well be women out there who want to join. They will not be joining our club. We operate a strict 100% male friendly operation here at Portmarnock. There may be other options for women out there, but we at Portmarnock are unaware of any. etc., etc.

Sorry Charles, but it would seem the fuss is only caused when it's men excluding women, not vice versa.

Besides, if a private organisation wants to do womens only classes, i believe that is perfectly legal and in no way discrimination. Much like the all male boxing clubs etc.

oh.........wait.

We certainly don't want to discriminate anyone. We thought long and hard about it before we started. We came to the conclusion that mixed classes just wouldn't work. The women would be self concious and the men would be oogling at the women. Fair enough, this is a generalisation and not everyone is like that.

If the demand is out there, we may consider doing classes for men [and thought by a male teacher], but I don't think we shall ever do a mixed class.

So far, we have not been approached by men for classes, but who knows. It may happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

To be honest with you i think the blokes would be just as self concious as the women!!!!

Besides, i am assuming everything is properly covered up!! :D

To be honest, i think there may be a market there for the mens classes, you should definitely look into it!

Dragan wrote:
    Besides, i am assuming everything is properly covered up!!

Of course, but we do encourage the students to dress as sexy as they like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

Classic quote from the website :

"You should bring some trainers for the warm up session and ideally high heels for the rest of the class. "

Exercising is high heeels ?? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Charles Darwin

IrishTLR wrote:
    We certainly don't want to discriminate anyone. We thought long and hard about it before we started. We came to the conclusion that mixed classes just wouldn't work. The women would be self concious and the men would be oogling at the women. Fair enough, this is a generalisation and not everyone is like that.

If the demand is out there, we may consider doing classes for men [and thought by a male teacher], but I don't think we shall ever do a mixed class.

So far, we have not been approached by men for classes, but who knows. It may happen.
    IrishTLR, I think you should be allowed to run women only classes, if you wish. And you're right, it probably wouldn't work if people are self-conscious. You're trying to help people get fit and improve their self-confidence, and you should be supported. I really wish you every success with it.

Look, I shouldn't have made the post on this thread, it might have been more suitable to find a relevant thread in the politics or humanities forum. I just got a bit riled when I see that it is possible to have a women-only class when you're apparently not allowed to have a men-only golf club.

After all, Portmarnock Golf Club are not allowed to discriminate against people on the basis of their sex, sexual orientation, creed or colour. But the law would allow them to discriminate against me on the basis that I'm not very good at golf, I wouldn't have enough money to join and I probably wouldn't fit in very well.

Anyway, enough of that. Every success with the classes.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

check it out even santas in on the act!

http://www.busybus.co.uk/design/xmas_santa.swf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

damn that santa can move :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

What do the women wear during these classes? :D

On a serious note I can't see how anyone would have a problem with it being 100% girls classes, or vice versa if was 100% boys (if there was a market) & portmarnock golf club does allow wimmin play, just not don sporting jackets and become fully fledged members - and I think a private club should be allowd do whatever they want

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I want to learn to pole dance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

You dig out a two year old thread and that's all you say?!!:confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement