Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

search unit dublin airport

Options
  • 06-02-2008 11:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

see they are looking for staff for the search unit in dublin airport, any one got info on this? pay, number of work hours, overtime, etc

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

Ring Multiflex and ask.

www.multiflex.ie

They are the people who hire you.

Just make sure you're not colourblind - they caught me out on that :(

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If you do a search (hahaha, no, seriously) on this forum, you'll get a thread about Dublin Airport, which included info on this, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Jeanious

anyone got any more info on this? the website aint workin.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,980 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

see they are looking for staff for the search unit in dublin airport, any one got info on this? pay, number of work hours, overtime, etc
    They are always advertising as they seem to have a huge turn-over of staff which doesn't give a great impression. A lot of people seem to use it as a filler until something else comes along.

You'll need some form of transport for early shifts unless you're beside the airport. I'm open to correction but the shifts seem to be from 5am to 1pm, 1pm to 9pm and then a night shift.

I've no idea what they are paid but I'd guess that it is fairly mediocre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

sunnyjim wrote: »
    Ring Multiflex and ask.

www.multiflex.ie

They are the people who hire you.

Just make sure you're not colourblind - they caught me out on that :(

How did you pass the same test for the FCA?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Plascebo

Used to work in the asu for 2 years, the pay is fairly decent, you start on about 15 euro an hour. The shifts are 5 am-1.30, 1.30-10pm, a mid shift (10am-6.30) and a night shift but if you find a shift you like there is usually no problem with swapping your shifts to suit yourself. Oh and there is a new shift for newcomers (4am-12) in which you get an extra 20 euro shift allowance for. Its not a bad job and a great way to get into the airport and find a position you like somewhere else within.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 soldierblue

They are always advertising as they seem to have a huge turn-over of staff which doesn't give a great impression. A lot of people seem to use it as a filler until something else comes along.

You'll need some form of transport for early shifts unless you're beside the airport. I'm open to correction but the shifts seem to be from 5am to 1pm, 1pm to 9pm and then a night shift.

I've no idea what they are paid but I'd guess that it is fairly mediocre.
    thanks for all the feed back

Plascebo wrote: »
    Used to work in the asu for 2 years, the pay is fairly decent, you start on about 15 euro an hour. The shifts are 5 am-1.30, 1.30-10pm, a mid shift (10am-6.30) and a night shift but if you find a shift you like there is usually no problem with swapping your shifts to suit yourself. Oh and there is a new shift for newcomers (4am-12) in which you get an extra 20 euro shift allowance for. Its not a bad job and a great way to get into the airport and find a position you like somewhere else within.
    plenty of info there, thanks, just looking for a decent job, what's the story with the assesment test?

Its just your standard assessment test, nothing to be too worried about. One thing to keep in mind is that they are looking for customer focused people, not security minded, if you know what I mean.

Its just your standard assessment test, nothing to be too worried about. One thing to keep in mind is that they are looking for customer focused people, not security minded, if you know what I mean.
    thanks ,plenty to think about there,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Pauleeeeeeee

I've just applied for a job with the ASU. Just wondering if they have any kind of transport system for employees that don't have a car?

I used to work for Aerlingus and they'd have taxis pick up their employees if they were on early or late shifts and it would only cost us a few euro. Do the DAA do anything similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

I used to work for Aerlingus and they'd have taxis pick up their employees if they were on early or late shifts and it would only cost us a few euro. Do the DAA do anything similar?

From what I can gather there is such a system in place, whereby you pay €4 or something towards it. But again, it'd probably depend on whether you're DAA staff or subcontracted.

In talking to Multiflex a few times over the past months, they always gave me the impression that there was a waiting list for all jobs on offer for the airport. I wonder if the advertised jobs are a means to simply fill a waiting list in preparation for a high turn over of staff i.e. its always good to have 20 CV's on file when there's a likelihood that 10+ people could leave in a year.

Edit - sorry where do you see that they are hiring? I've checked daa.ie website and multiflex website and can't see it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

Is it true that they use the ASU to recruit for Airport Police from ??

connundrum wrote: »
    In talking to Multiflex a few times over the past months, they always gave me the impression that there was a waiting list for all jobs on offer for the airport. I wonder if the advertised jobs are a means to simply fill a waiting list in preparation for a high turn over of staff i.e. its always good to have 20 CV's on file when there's a likelihood that 10+ people could leave in a year.

Edit - sorry where do you see that they are hiring? I've checked daa.ie website and multiflex website and can't see it?

The DAA jobs on the multiflex tend to appear and disappear with regularity.
    I've applied and they told me that they pass CVs onto the DAA and it usually takes a long time for applicants to hear back !

Santa Claus, mostly yes. The last time they recruited airport police there were 13 positions and 12 of them were from the asu. The time before that all the positions were filled by the asu.
    Pauleeee, if you are on an early shift or finishing a late shift the company pays for two 3rds of your taxi fare, you third is deduced from your wages.

anyone know how daa view tatoo's. heard a story failed someone on the medical because of a tatoo? any info

• Registered Users Posts: 24,980 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

if you are on an early shift or finishing a late shift the company pays for two 3rds of your taxi fare, you third is deduced from your wages.
    That's puzzling as the regular adverts that appear in my local paper (Fingal Independent) always specify that access to transport is essential for early/late shifts. :confused:

If they do pay two 3rds of taxi fares, presumably there is an upper limit. I can't see then paying two 3rds of a €100 fare!
    anyone know how daa view tatoo's. heard a story failed someone on the medical because of a tatoo? any info
    I'd find that hard to believe from a medical point of view. Ordinary tatoos are probably OK but amateur Indian ink mess all over your fingers/hands mighten send out the proper message.

Not too sure if there is an upper limit on taxis, but I can confirm that they definitely subsidise the fare, my neighbour is still in the asu and doesn't drive, he would have mentioned if they stopped this practice... One thing to keep in mind is that now the asu are taking people on on a contract basis (2 years) whereas up till recently it was on a permanent basis.

Once the tattoo's remain covered it is fine... In the asu if anyone had tattoos on their arms they were made were long-sleeved shirts, though they are not as strict about that as they used to be.

Once the tattoo's remain covered it is fine... In the asu if anyone had tattoos on their arms they were made were long-sleeved shirts, though they are not as strict about that as they used to be.
    again thanks for the info.great help

I'd find that hard to believe from a medical point of view. Ordinary tatoos are probably OK but amateur Indian ink mess all over your fingers/hands mighten send out the proper message.
    thanks for your post

• Advertisement

One thing to keep in mind is that now the asu are taking people on on a contract basis (2 years) whereas up till recently it was on a permanent basis.
    do they renew your contract after 2 years or do they let you go?
    how often do they recruit for the airport police?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 ducksie

Does anyone have details of payscales for the Airport Search Unit & Airport Police?

do they renew your contract after 2 years or do they let you go?
    how often do they recruit for the airport police?

It is supposedly until the DAA land the contract for the new terminal and then all contract workers in the asu will be made permanent (thats what the union are saying)

They don't recruit that often for the airport police, and as you can imagine when they do the interest is huge..

ducksie wrote: »
    Does anyone have details of payscales for the Airport Search Unit & Airport Police?

The payscale difference between the asu and airport police is huge.. Not too sure what the scale for the police is but for the asu you start off at about €14.50 an hour (this includes shift pay) and this is on a 10 year pay scale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 ducksie

Thanks for the info plascebo , does anyone know if there are upper age limits for joining either the ASU or APF?

It is supposedly until the DAA land the contract for the new terminal and then all contract workers in the asu will be made permanent (thats what the union are saying)

They don't recruit that often for the airport police, and as you can imagine when they do the interest is huge..
    Thanks for the info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ah1908

heya anyone kno how i apply 4 a job with asu?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ah1908

hey ur d only on who seems to be online on this thing, do u kno how to apply for the asu?

hey ur d only on who seems to be online on this thing, do u kno how to apply for the asu? Today 18:51
    asu was advertised on the multiflex web page in feb this year, it has since been taken down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 korpy

I applied for an ASU job in Jan, the put me on an waiting list but no news since, do you think that this is normal?

Advertisement