Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is it "OK" to throw cigarette butts on the ground?

Options
  • 16-07-2008 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭

I'm sure this is not a new topic or question....but a few events I witnessed recently spurred to me ask a simple question:

Why is it more acceptable for a smoker to throw a finished cigarette on the ground, than it would be for the same person to throw a bag of crisps on the ground?

Point in question: Standing at a dart station a drunk guy dropped a bag of rubbish on the track. People shook their heads in disgust as he stumbled off. Right beside me a guy flicked a cigarette onto the tracks....no one paid any attention? Is it a case of the bag of rubbish being seen as a greater evil?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Its not, or at least it should not be. the only difference is that a cig butt will bio degrade quickly. Its still littering and against the law. People need to be fined for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

A butt will probably degrade in 2-5 years so it is a while before it's gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭jusmeig

Having done a quick google about butts (cigarette) it appears they are not very bio-degradeable at all. The white filter is not cotton, there are plastic fibers, and according to the below most butts find their way to the ocean.

http://www.litterbutt.com/v3/StopLitter/SoWhat.aspx

I fully agree with you, a fine is the only way to deal with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Damomayo

Its a disgusting habit and littering then only confirms that the ppl that smoke are ignorant of the ppl around them. Bad enough we have to put up with passive smoking outside without them littering as well. Keep increasing price of cigs i think IMO

(Rant over) :D

Damomayo wrote: »
    Its a disgusting habit and littering then only confirms that the ppl that smoke are ignorant of the ppl around them. Bad enough we have to put up with passive smoking outside without them littering as well. Keep increasing price of cigs i think IMO

here here! Ash blowing into my face has to be the worst of the lot...or blowing onto your clothes!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

That and spitting are two things which regularly disgusts me.

I could add pissing in the streets to it too, but thankfully its a rarity compared with the others.

Oh, while we're ranting.. Chewing gum, I think that should be banned except for medical purposes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

Yeah, and once we sort out them ignorant smokers, let's tax dandruff. Dandruff is so disgusting, at this day and age it's your own fault if you have it, so no mercy.

After that, let's tax everything else.

Lets start throwing Polish people to the ground :D

Mairt wrote: »
    Lets start throwing Polish people to the ground :D

Or better yet, let's tax all foerigners living abroad. Who do they think they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

A bag of rubbish is a bigger deal than a tiny cigarette butt tbh.

Also, carrying around a tiny stinky little butt while you're looking for a bin isn't very nice.

But yeah - I don't consider it a good or 'OK' thing to do. Just something that gets done regardless if, for instance, the bus pulls up and you've got little or no other option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

Goodshape wrote: »

Also, carrying around a tiny stinky little butt while you're looking for a bin isn't very nice.

But somehow it's worthwhile for the 5 minutes it takes to reduce it to a tiny stinky little butt? :rolleyes:

blah wrote: »
    But somehow it's worthwhile for the 5 minutes it takes to reduce it to a tiny stinky little butt? :rolleyes:

Yes.

Methinks a smoker has arrived :)
    I would ask smokers, why do you throw your butts on the ground? Can you not stub it out and put it in a bin - Problem solved.

jusmeig wrote: »
    Methinks a smoker has arrived :)
    I would ask smokers, why do you throw your butts on the ground? Can you not stub it out and put it in a bin - Problem solved.

There isn't always a bin around.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

So? hold on to it until there is one... most pubs have ash bin things on the walls outside and there is certainly no shortage of pubs :D

Ordinary rubbish goes in my pocket until i find a bin. If its too big it stays in my hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭raido9

Sigh :rolleyes:
    There's always one

ojewriej wrote: »
    Qft.

To be honest, I try to do my best not to throw cigarette butts, or chewing gum, on the ground.

With chewing gum there really is no excuse. And I will *always* wait until I find a bin. With cigarettes, because they are so 'universally' detested and not allowed in any inside or enclosed space these days there often really isn't much of a choice.

If I'm walking along the street then sure, I'll hold onto it until I find a bin. But if the bus pulls up and I'm still smoking - my options are limited.

how does that effect anything? If I have rubbish I dont dump it because I cant find a bin, I hold it until I find one.

But let me guess....smokers won't hold a butt because its dirty and it smells?

how does that effect anything? If I have rubbish I dont dump it because I cant find a bin, I hold it until I find one.

Nope, what I meant is that it's not as simple as you outlined.

And no, I don't throw my butts on the ground, i usually find a drain.

Nope, what I meant is that it's not as simple as you outlined.

And no, I don't throw my butts on the ground, i usually find a drain.

Why is it not as simple? Put the butt in your pocket, then put it in the bin?
    Throwing them in a drain is a great idea, block it up good :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭raido9

In fairness, there's no talking to non-smokers, they're too far up on their high horse to even listen to non-smoking scum.

No discussion thread between smokers and non-smokers has ended with them agreeing anything

Qft.

If I'm walking along the street then sure, I'll hold onto it until I find a bin. But if the bus pulls up and I'm still smoking - my options are limited.

Goodshape....you could adopt ojewriej approach and throw them in a drain...then no one will have to look at them ;)

Why is it not as simple? Put the butt in your pocket, then put it in the bin?

To dirty to put in the pocket. The burned part.
    Throwing them in a drain is a great idea, block it up good :D

Yeah, beacuse we always hear about the drains being blocked by cigarette butts.

Think about it - wouldn't people who design severs assume that some rubish will be flushed in there with rain water?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Joe's fanclub

I smoked for the best part of five years but am now off them so can see both sides :)

You can't put a lit cigerette in your pocket! Sure you can hold it till it goes out but honestly, laziness will throw it on the ground, only recently have most bins gotten those 'ashtrays' on the top, and not all of them have one, so again, you can't put a lit cigerette in a bin, although some do .......

To dirty to put in the pocket. The burned part.

To dirty to put in your pocket, but clean enough to put in your lungs and blood stream?!?
    Im no angel myself, and god knows I like a drink or two....but the returns on smoking seem to be very limited from what I can see:

Yellow hands/teeth
    Bad Breath
    Bags under your eyes
    Lung cancer

I think ill gamble on increasing my risk of liver failure, but enjoy doing it....rather than smoke cigarettes and die of lung cancer....looking like gollum form lord of the rings.
    Think about it - wouldn't people who design severs assume that some rubish will be flushed in there with rain water?

Yes I agree, some rubbish, but I doubt that they factor in that some smokers will go looking for drains in lieu of a bin.

you can't put a lit cigerette in a bin, although some do .......

I did say stub it out first!!! :)
    Throw it on the ground, stamp on it until its out....and throw it in the bin?

To dirty to put in your pocket, but clean enough to put in your lungs and blood stream?!?

I've never seen anyone putting a cigarette butt in their lungs and blood stream. I don't do it anyway.
    Im no angel myself, and god knows I like a drink or two....but the returns on smoking seem to be very limited from what I can see:

Yellow hands/teeth
    Bad Breath
    Bags under your eyes
    Lung cancer

I think ill gamble on increasing my risk of liver failure, but enjoy doing it....rather than smoke cigarettes and die of lung cancer....looking like gollum form lord of the rings.

You are the first person ever who said that to me. You really opened my eyes. Thanks.

I also eat in mcDonalds a lot - could you lecture me on that, too?
    Yes I agree, some rubbish, but I doubt that they factor in that some smokers will go looking for drains in lieu of a bin.

Why wouldn't they? It's a pretty common thing to do.

You can't put a lit cigerette in your pocket!

In fairness, there's always a wall or the top of a bin or /somewhere/ to stub it out. But the stink off a stubbed out butt will attach itself to your pocket and waft from you for long after you get rid of it, if you do put it in your pocket.

Just because I enjoy a cigarette doesn't mean I enjoy stinking of stale burnt smoke all day long.

Not having a bin around is fairly rare tbh, but on those rare occasions then I'm sorry -- I'm not putting a cigarette butt in my pocket. It's going to go on the ground.

One of the best replies I've ever read on boards.ie..

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Not having a bin around is fairly rare tbh, but on those rare occasions then I'm sorry -- I'm not putting a cigarette butt in my pocket. It's going to go on the ground.

While not ideal I do think this is fair enough. If you're willing to hold onto the butt until a bin turns up but with exceptional circumstances i.e. bus turns up not much you can do!

Its the blatant throwing of them on the ground when there is a bin right in front of you that bugs me. I was standing outside Bus Aras one night waiting for a late bus when a guy just finished smoking and flicked the butt to the ground. There must have been 4 bins in viewing distance

Advertisement