Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharing running books

Options
  • 01-04-2009 4:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭

Gerard65 lent me some good running books and gave me the idea of borrowing rather than buying. So I'm hoping some of yee might have
    Road racing for serious runners by pfitzinger
    running with Lydiard
    Brain training for runners by Matt Fitzgerald (I think)

Books I would be willing to lend based on this concept are
    marathon running by Richard Nerukar
    What I talk about when I talk about running
    Survival of the fittest
    Eamonn Coughlan bio
    Roger Bannister 4 min mile
    looniness of the long distance runner
    Advanced marathoning

I will only lend to regular posters on this forum

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

I have Lore of Running by Noakes if you fancy a swap for a while?

I've read Pfitzinger and Marukami's books, but I'll take any of the other ones if you're interested?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Woddle wrote: »
    So I'm hoping some of yee might have
    Road racing for serious runners by pfitzinger

I got this from my local library. They didn't have it in stock so they ordered it in for me, if you can't get it here I'd recommend trying your local library Woddle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

christeb wrote: »
    I have Lore of Running by Noakes if you fancy a swap for a while?

I've read Pfitzinger and Marukami's books, but I'll take any of the other ones if you're interested?

Cheers Christeb but I have Lore of running but if you want I'll still post one out to you, I would recommend survival of the fittest

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭figs

Just finishing "Feet in the Clouds" by Richard Askwith. Appropriately subtitled "A tale of Fell-Running and Obsession". Good book.

Should be finished by weekend. If anyone's interested, would be willing to swap for another running book.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Woddle wrote: »
    Cheers Christeb but I have Lore of running but if you want I'll still post one out to you, I would recommend survival of the fittest

Cheers Wod - in the middle of a few books at the mo, so I'll grab it off ya at the next Boards race - hopefully won't be too far away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭greenplain

I have two free if anyone would like to read them

• What I talk about when I talk about running - Haruki Murakami
    • Ultramarathon man : confessions of an all night runners - Dean Karnazes
    If anyone wants them let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

I think it a great idea who knows pool the books into a form of a Boards library.
    I have a few books if anyone interested
    • Running with the Buffalos ( Colorado XC team with Adam Goucher)
    • The Perfect Mile (story of Bannister, Landy and Santee)
    • Sub 4.00 (Alan Webb in his college years)
    • The Irish Man who ran for England ( Paddy Hogan Bio)
    • Sonia's Bio
    • The Lore of Running

If any regulars would like to take a lend send a mail

Hi ecoli I sent the looniness off in the post this morning ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Thanks Woddle your book on its way to

ecoli wrote: »
    Thanks Woddle your book on its way to

Thanks got that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭Peckham

Was doing a bit of a clear out here, and some running books I'd be happy to send on to anyone in exchange for similar books they have...or even just good karma. Will take any running books (manuals or biographies) in exchange, or indeed any sport-related biographies.

On offer:
    - Paula Radcliffe: My story so far
    - Murakami: What I talk about when I talk about running
    - Eamonn Coughlan's biography
    - Sonia O'Sullivans biography

Let me know what you want, and if you can offer anything in return!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭LambDave

Hey Peckham,

Im an avid reader of the forums but a very rare poster (training log on it's way though!).

I've a couple of books that I'd happily pass on to anyone...

Running is Easy - Bruce Tulloh (My fave running referrence guide!)
    Chi Running - think this is the Danny Dreyer book, cant find the cover on the 'net! (Didnt like this but willing to pass it on to anyone that's interested in this)

Out of your books I've been meaning to get the Murakami book or any of the autobiographies sound interesting.

Regards,

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭bazman

Surprised noone responded to this - good idea - share books, save money :)

Would be interested in giving Paula's & Sonia's books a read. I'll have a look through my books at home to see what I can offer in return and send a PM ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

I have the murakami book and "life on the run: coast to coast", i'll happily give them to anyone who wants them. Just PM me and i'll post them individually or together tomorrow or the next day.

I started a thread already on it, maybe merge the two as there was a few interested on that thread. I've already exchanged books with a few, I also have a crap load of running times mags if anyone is interested.

I'll add to that,

Ive lots of Runners world and Irish Runner from around the turn of the century if anyone wants them. Read them from time to time. Don't really think a running magazine has a "shelf life"...a training program published in 2000 should still be just as useful today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Woddle, can you find the other thread (I've lost it) and I'll happily merge.

I'd love any old Irish Runners. I've a running uncle in Canada who loves to get them.

I'll have a look tonight to see what I have (looks guiltily at the package of tri mags addressed to MCOS but which has been sitting on HM's desk for months)

Woddle, can you find the other thread (I've lost it) and I'll happily merge.

I'd love any old Irish Runners. I've a running uncle in Canada who loves to get them.

I'll have a look tonight to see what I have (looks guiltily at the package of tri mags addressed to MCOS but which has been sitting on HM's desk for months)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055527658&highlight=books

I've a few IR aswell, I'll be down in Cork for the relay, so if anyone wants a lend of a book or to keep a mag let me know in advance. I'll put up an exact list of what I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

merge done :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

I've a good few books I'd be willing to do a swapsie on.
    Peckham wrote: »
    - Murakami: What I talk about when I talk about running

Off topic. Has anybody else read this ? I though it was the biggest pile of poo ever written. The only running related book I read that was worse was a Michael Johnson psychology book, at least that's what I think it was. It was very random

• Advertisement

I've a good few books I'd be willing to do a swapsie on.

Off topic. Has anybody else read this ? I though it was the biggest pile of poo ever written. The only running related book I read that was worse was a Michael Johnson psychology book, at least that's what I think it was. It was very random

I gave up reading it as it just bored me. I'm about to start running with buffaloes and after that 26.2 miles to Boston to help get me in the zone for Berlin (both lent to me by posters here). Just finishing Alberto Salazars training book and it's a great read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

A few times reading it I said "yeah, I've shared that thought", but the title is the best thing about it. Maybe I had too high expectations from reading the hype before the book, but a powerful liturgy on the zen of long distance running, it ain't.

Sure I could do better meself.

HunnyMonster,

PM me your address and I'll send you on any old IR mags the next time im down home...except the one that I got my name in (results of the Munster Schools XC about 12 years ago!....and they spelled my name wrong!). :D

Maybe I had too high expectations from reading the hype before the book, but a powerful liturgy on the zen of long distance running, it ain't.

A very dull read, maybe if you've read his fiction it would make a difference, but as a stand alone book it was less than captivating.

LambDave wrote: »

Running is Easy - Bruce Tulloh (My fave running reference guide!)

Out of your books I've been meaning to get the Murakami book or any of the autobiographies sound interesting.

Regards,

Dave

Hi lambdave, has running is easy been snapped up by anyone yet? if not can i bagsie...i can offer the brilliant Murakami book in exchange :-)

Ya sure no problem, send me your address.

Again, you'll have to wait till I'm down home next but I should be able to post anything next week.

Not sure about the "thrilling" Murakami book now, but hey, its free so its surely worth some bit of a read!

May aswell throw it this out there too....If anyone has Ronnie Delaney's autobiography, Id love to read it!

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭McConkey

asimonov wrote: »
    A very dull read, maybe if you've read his fiction it would make a difference, but as a stand alone book it was less than captivating.

:( Aw, I bought this lately but haven't read it yet...reading a few running books at the moment....prob a sign of an untidy mind not to just finish one....but I will add to the Boards Library when I finally get finished some of them :o

McConkey wrote: »
    :( Aw, I bought this lately but haven't read it yet...reading a few running books at the moment....prob a sign of an untidy mind not to just finish one....but I will add to the Boards Library when I finally get finished some of them :o

Sorry, i should have kept my counsel. I found it a hard book to engage with - that said, i didn't abandon it half through or anything. But you never know, i could have terrible taste in books! Give it a go, and maybe post a review...

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭McConkey

From the few pages I glanced at, I suspect you might be right :) I'll give it a look anyway....its a far cry from what I'm mainly reading at the moment, which is a funny, tongue-in-cheek, anthropology book called "sperm are from men eggs are from women", it's quite funny if a little bawdy at times. Some interesting theories in there...but he doesn't mention running too often though so I'm not too sure if it's appropriate reading material for the Boards library :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Sub430

Murakami: What I talk about when I talk about running

I looked for this at the weekend in the airport but couldn't find it. Lucky escape methinks.;)

Advertisement