Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2009 Sean Kelly Tour of Waterford

Options
  • 21-07-2009 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

The 3rd Sean Kelly Tour of Waterford takes place on Sunday 30th August 2009. Check out the Tour website www.theseankellytour.com for route information and online entry.

Your chance to cycle with a Legend!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Yes - we're all doing it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Is this yearly? Has anyone done the medium course before? If so, how tough are we talking?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I was up the Vee on the weekend and even though I'm the worlds worst climber I actually enjoyed it.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Jumpy wrote: »
    Is this yearly? Has anyone done the medium course before? If so, how tough are we talking?
    Last year the medium course was a relatively flat 100km, it was basically the 160km course with the climbs taken out- the 160km dodged in and out to go over the mountains while the 100km just went around them in a circle.

Note none of the routes go over the Vee.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Yeah - think this is the third year, the last weekend of the summer.
    I did it last year and the 100km is fine.

Just be aware that the homeward leg of the 'triangle' is the toughest as there is a climb involved. At least you get to stuff your face in Clonmel before tackling the climb.

• Advertisement

jerseyeire wrote: »
    I was up the Vee on the weekend

FNARR

Thanks guys, might sign up after all. Do all the boardies meet at these events?
    I wont have my jersey till after it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

topper75 wrote: »
    Just be aware that the homeward leg of the 'triangle' is the toughest as there is a climb involved. At least you get to stuff your face in Clonmel before tackling the climb.

I would exactly call it a climb. More a drag.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,034 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Do all the boardies meet at these events?
    I wont have my jersey till after it :(

Not all boardsies have boards jerseys. It's not a problem, we somehow manage to find each other and clump together.

I wouldn't exactly call it organisation, more like the way fluff collects in your navel.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Lumen wrote: »
    more like the way fluff collects in your navel.
    Scary image, and somehow apt sounding....

if tiny makes it you can just look for the pink planet-x its how i found people at the W200...it stands out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

I just looked out for other geeks, easy really.

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    Not all boardsies have boards jerseys. It's not a problem, we somehow manage to find each other and clump together.

I wouldn't exactly call it organisation, more like the way fluff collects in your navel.

Eeurgh, as long as you dont smell the same then it would be great to meet you lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭keano007

I'm from dungarvan originally so I'm looking forward to this one, don't get to cycle at home much so it's gonna be a nice one. For anyone who hasn't done this cycle it's a great spin even with the climbs, some great scenery!

penexpers wrote: »

All credit to technical terminology penexpers, but I'm still out of the saddle and wondering where's the goddamn end of it... so same thing to me!

OK it's not Alpe d'Huez, but it is better to know that it is coming than to be caught offguard and thinking that it is the same as the cycle up to that point, as were a few of my friends last year who weren't too familiar with the sunny southeast.

Can anyone else get to the site today? It seems down for me. It redirects to waterfordcoco and then errors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

the link is broken jumpy at the moment.

what type of training would you guys be doing for the 100km event.
    or more importantly what type of KMs should i be doing a week or spin .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

jwshooter wrote: »
    the link is broken jumpy at the moment.

what type of training would you guys be doing for the 100km event.
    or more importantly what type of KMs should i be doing a week or spin .

Me personally I think you should be doing at least 100km per week and on a long spin I would say 75km. The 75km you should do at least twice between here and the event. Also note it's hilly so I'd be getting used to going up hills also. It mighn't do you any harm to enter the Tour of Kildare this weekend either.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

jerseyeire wrote: »
    Me personally I think you should be doing at least 100km per week and on a long spin I would say 75km. The 75km you should do at least twice between here and the event. Also note it's hilly so I'd be getting used to going up hills also. It mighn't do you any harm to enter the Tour of Kildare this weekend either.

hi jereyeire, im doing around 150-170km a week for the last month of so ,my spins are from 40-60kms mostly.

i will trying to get in longer spins but the weather is not playing ball .
    il try to do a 70-80km spin on wed im planning a half day .

i am looking forward to doing it ,just looking for a little guidance

thanks jw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Just checked the mail & got a wee pack from the SKT organisers incl my numbers for the day - got no 87. Anyone else got theirs?

Site back up this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Pinarello

penexpers wrote: »

If that's what you call the Nire Valley upto Powers the Pot you must be fairly handy brother...;)

• Advertisement

Pinarello wrote: »
    If that's what you call the Nire Valley upto Powers the Pot you must be fairly handy brother...;)
    I think he's talking about the 100km which doesn't go over Powers the Pot.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭gimmeaminute

Two questions, any help appreciated.

Are people doing the 160? I did the Wicklow 200 in about 7'45, without too much suffering. My training has been fairly consistent since. IS the 160 doable?

And are people from Dublin driving down on the morning? Or do most stay over?

Cheers.

The 160 is slightly easier than the Wicklow 200, probably about as much climbing but just 35km or so lopped off which does take the edge off it. 7'45 is a good time for the W200 so you will have no problems at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Just signed up for the 160km and paid for it online there today. Should be a good day out, not sure if I'll stay down for the night/weekend or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Junior

Offer of accommadation is there if people need it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

@Junior. While your offer is kind, I am looking to stay in a b&b. Would you be know of any on the Cork side of Dungarvan. Doesn't need to be in the town, but close.
    Thanks.

ROK ON wrote: »
    @Junior. While your offer is kind, I am looking to stay in a b&b. Would you be know of any on the Cork side of Dungarvan. Doesn't need to be in the town, but close.
    Thanks.

Do I smell or something ? :D

My dad knows a place just up the sweep, which is on the cork side, I'll ask him in the morning for you.

Martin Fahy runs this place http://www.seaviewdungarvan.com/

he will look after you and plus you have a great big hill down to the start !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 deiseman

lads what would ye consider a good time for the 100km? I did it last year in just over 3:40, but hadnt many miles in the legs. Really be looking to knock a lot of time off this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭bogs

kphelan wrote: »
    The 3rd Sean Kelly Tour of Waterford takes place on Sunday 30th August 2009. Check out the Tour website www.theseankellytour.com for route information and online entry.

Your chance to cycle with a Legend!
    To you guys who are cycling on the roads every day during the summer getting some training be aware of the traffic which you are meeting on your journey.Alarge vehicle overtaking you needs 1 metre so if theres two abrest,need i say anymore especially on a regional road.With some of you guys your heading for an early epitaph. Bogs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement