Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Present from RTE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭BowWow

Can anyone confirm they have actually picked up this test?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭mjsmyth

I had a look at one of the transmitter maps for Mount Leinster http://www.irish-tv.com/mount-leinsterplot.jpg and it would sem like Naas is covered, at least for analogue signals.

I hooked up my cheap a$$ technsonic DTT receiver and did a scan on 2k and 8k and got nothing.

So..... is this because:

a) the transmissions have stopped?
    b) i just can't get them in Naas?
    c) they are mpg4? (my box only does mpg2

Thanks,
    MJ

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

(a) and (c) are very likely. It was some sort of engineering test.

To me it would seem it could depend on how good your outdoor aerial is and exact location as to if Naas is possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I suspect the DTT footprint is much smaller than the analogue one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭mjsmyth

My aerial is in my attic... and I can't complain about the analogue signal I receive. It is roughly pointing south.

I had a look on Google Earth and there does not seem to be any hills in the way of my house and Mount Leinster.

Hopefully someone round here has an mpg4 compatible receiver and can confirm or deny whether they got a signal.

thanks,
    MJ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

So when exactly was this trial running?? It's a big coincidence that BBC1 and CH4 were the worst-performing channels last time I checked. I shall be going to a part of Tipp which is served by Mt. Leinster tomorrow. Sadly I'm not at home so I can't bring the mpeg4 box.

I might bring down a freeview box with me to see what happens.

When I get home to Louth I will try using a grid aerial from the house facing away from Kilkeel to pick up the test on the Humax box. I know that I can pick up TG4 with perfect reception (no boosting) using it. I expect that I should pick up something if it is running at 20 kW but not by much.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,145 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Is this proof that DTT is for Christmas and not for life? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭bassy

says something here about mt.leinster having started trials

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_terrestrial_television_in_Ireland#Multiplexes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

You should take what wikipedia says with a pinch of salt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭channelsurfer

so does that mean if mount leinster is working it would be worth getting a box here in tullamore to see if its receivable?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

Might try and generate a coverage map later. I'd say with the frequency the multiplex is on it's unlikely to be using the current UHF analogue aerial, more likely a spare/temp one lower down the mast.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭marclt

John Dough wrote: »
    I would not worry m8 as the welsh transmitters are only on 10% power atm so will be ok in time.

Yip, but when they get turned up in just over 18months time - what then...? There is a great deal of spillover along the coasts of each country - will the services be 'protected' in each direction - which effectively ends long distance reception.

I think the Irish Govt. needs to do a bit of a PR job in terms of people living in the south east in the run up to what is happening in Wales. Despite digital sat and mmds - there is still a reliance on analogue services from the UK and the snowy pictures in wexford and wicklow and beyond. My concern is that come digital switchover in the UK, vulnerable members of the community are going to be an easy target for dodgy installers looking to make quick bucks by selling overpriced aerial systems!!

Getting some sort of permanent (if not in name) service from Mt. Leinster should be a priority due to the high penetration of UK analogue services.

Why should the Irish government really run any PR regarding the reception of what is foreign broadcasts?

The frequencies for Mt. Leinster & Presely for DTT were agreed at the ITU conference last year where I assume any concerns about interference would have been raised. To change the frequencies of one of the transmitters in question would need a replanning alongside neighbouring transmitters and their reserved frequencies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

lawhec wrote: »
    Why should the Irish government really run any PR regarding the reception of what is foreign broadcasts?

Agreed. I do not see why tax money should be spent to prevent stupid people from being shafted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

Mossy! I hope you are in no way referring to vunerable people as stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Foggy43 wrote: »
    Mossy! I hope you are in no way referring to vunerable people as stupid.

I am not referring to vulnerable people. I do not think my post even came close to suggesting it. I am referring to the people who throw money at the con men without even investigating what options are available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

Cheers! I was afraid it maybe picked up the wrong way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

There is already a need for education of the 'vulnerable 'from the snake oil merchants .

DTT spillover coverage

1. Post DSO in the UK
    2. Post boost to Output Levels of UK transmitters

may well never be as good as analogue. If it works now pre DSO ( closer to the border) it may stop working once we turn a transmitter or two on ourselves.

Its utterly pointless replacing lots of large aerials dotted along the Galway Dublin road between Ballinasloe and Dublin ....and at great cost .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Bond-007 wrote: »
    You should take what wikipedia says with a pinch of salt.

Actually in this case very accurate since someone ( not me ) was posting as soon as Watty made the announcements :D

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭marclt

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    I am not referring to vulnerable people. I do not think my post even came close to suggesting it. I am referring to the people who throw money at the con men without even investigating what options are available.

True, but people are easily conned and technology naturally confuses some people - particularly older people.

I can imagine some people of my grandmothers generation parting with cash for an aerial setup in order to keep watching countdown or cash in the attic or whatever. In their eyes, tv is just tv they aren't necessarily thinking about how (in terms of equipment) they receive it.

Why else is there such a publicity campaign in the UK... people switching to digital isn't really making money for the broadcasters who have to pay for the advertisements to go out. Information on this matter is a public service.

I think the issue in the south east and along the border is unique (probably in Europe) for nearly 50 years viewers have actively accessed 'foreign' services so they aren't necessarily seen as something foreign to most people. they just appear on whatever channel numbers they've been set to on the tv.

Perhaps it shouldn't be seen as a waste of money by the Irish taxpayer (heaven knows there's enough floating about) but as the perfect opportunity to market the irish dtt system, and face those aerials to mount leinster instead of presely?

just a thought....

• Advertisement

marclt wrote: »
    Yip, but when they get turned up in just over 18months time - what then...? There is a great deal of spillover along the coasts of each country - will the services be 'protected' in each direction - which effectively ends long distance reception.

I think the Irish Govt. needs to do a bit of a PR job in terms of people living in the south east in the run up to what is happening in Wales. Despite digital sat and mmds - there is still a reliance on analogue services from the UK and the snowy pictures in wexford and wicklow and beyond. My concern is that come digital switchover in the UK, vulnerable members of the community are going to be an easy target for dodgy installers looking to make quick bucks by selling overpriced aerial systems!!

Satellite is the best solution now to get UK TV. If what we have now on Satellite free, existed when MMDS and Cable was starting it never would have started.

Most of the Monster masts are obsolete. I see many in bad repair and dishes on the houses.

The Irish Government has no duty to do anything other than not interfere with UK broadcasts in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭SRB

MYOB wrote: »
    Now, do up Kippure and I can take down my second aerial... pretty please :P

Both ML and Kippure were "having work done" towards the end of last year, so you never know.....

The ML test was turned off because it was causing interference in Clonmel. It will be back in 2008 sometime before August.

I don't like rumours, but one is that RTE (only?) will be nationwide DTT by August. If so it means for Widescreen that Roof Aerial for RTE + free sat channels and a Sky sub less important.

Do note any "investment" in a box should be DVB-t with MPEG4/MPEG2 video and MHEG5 interactive/text/EPG. This is definitely the final spec for Ireland, anything less will need replaced soon.

Ah for gawds sake, if the August date is true I plan to be out of the country by then :( Think I'll invest in a slingbox in that case!

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Bulmers

watty wrote: »
    I don't like rumours, but one is that RTE (only?) will be nationwide DTT by August. If so it means for Widescreen that Roof Aerial for RTE + free sat channels and a Sky sub less important.

Who is rolling this out now so, are RTE NL rolling out their own DTT network or is it the BT/DCMNR?

Another question, will RTE NL be obsolete if BT/DCMNR take over the DTT network?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 bigbob

Will MPEG4 DTT & Sat FTA combo (inc. MHEG5) set top boxes be available by the time Irish DTT & Freesat become available?

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭byrnefm

bigbob wrote: »
    Will MPEG4 DTT & Sat FTA combo (inc. MHEG5) set top boxes be available by the time Irish DTT & Freesat become available?
    I think the boxes being sold in Norway at the moment would work here (Norway launched with MPEG4 broadcasts and the boxes are MPEG2-compatible also, I believe).

All MPEG4 systems do MPEG2 also. :)

Bulmers wrote: »
    Who is rolling this out now so, are RTE NL rolling out their own DTT network or is it the BT/DCMNR?

Another question, will RTE NL be obsolete if BT/DCMNR take over the DTT network?

BT/DCMNR only for the 2 TX trail. They will not be running those when trial over. RTENL will at least be running one Mux. The others may close.

RTENL is rolling out though they may be using some subcontractors. RTE may eventually sell RTENL, but it will not be obsolete.

• Advertisement

bigbob wrote: »

Combo boxes are always either poor spec or very expensive. Yes, Combo Sat/DTT MPEG4/MPEG2/DVBs2 etc with HDD and DVD exist. Unless you want DVD writer & large Hard drive a pair of separate boxes better.

I have such a Combo over a year.

Advertisement