Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Curiosity On Mars Thread.

• 13-06-2012 4:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭

(Thought it might be a good time to start a Mars Curiosity Rover thread, seeing as a milestone was reached recently.)

Curiosity departed Earth late last November and is now homing in on it's landing site. The landing site, on Gale Grater, has been narrowed down from an ellipse measuring 20 by 25km to just 7 to 20km.

However, an issue has cropped up. The drill has been shown to potentially introduce contaminants to the very samples it is getting! These come from the teflon seals on the drill motor and from the molybdenum disulfide grease within.
    http://www.livescience.com/20886-nasa-mars-rover-contamination-landing.html

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/msl/news/msl20120611.html

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

You got there ahead of me, I was going to do just that:) Realy looking forward to this mission, my interest in space was sparked by the Viking landings on Mars back in 1976 and ever since I have had a special interest in the Mars programme.
    Fingers crossed for a safe landing in August!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭vonbarracuda

Can't wait for the landing. Always great watching mission control when there's a landing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Here's a wee video that, while most of us have already seen it, it is narrated by Stephen Lee. He is the guidance, navigation, and control manager for the Mars Science Laboratory mission at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory.

Man that's a harrowing descent! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I've got 6th of August marked on my calender!

Can't wait to see all the news pics from Mars from the new bigger and better rover!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Has a very interesting landing mechanism. Looks very complicated. Hope nothing goes wrong with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

It is a lot bigger than Spirit isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

Rubecula wrote: »

Yup

family-portrait-of-the-mars-rovers-sojorner-spirit-or-opportunity-curiosity.jpg

And here is it compared to a person.

curiosity.jpg

EDIT: I'm starting to think that the first picture may not actually be to proper scale but may be the correct scale between the rovers?

^What I read is its the size of a hatchback car.

^What I read is its the size of a hatchback car.

Yeah it is as can be judged by the second picture. I always knew the first one was a model, just thinking that it doesn't seem to be to actual scale.

I must do a little research on the wheel design. I'd be interested to see what differences there are between this and the last rovers. It was Spirit that had a front wheel failure after a while and though it wasnt a show stopper, it did need a bit of working around.

Also, on the lander, there are 8 thrusters but any video i have seen of it in action has shown 4 in use. Are the other 4 backups? I would imagine there being a major need of some kind of backup, should a thruster fail!

• Advertisement

shedweller wrote: »
    I must do a little research on the wheel design. I'd be interested to see what differences there are between this and the last rovers. It was Spirit that had a front wheel failure after a while and though it wasnt a show stopper, it did need a bit of working around.

Also, on the lander, there are 8 thrusters but any video i have seen of it in action has shown 4 in use. Are the other 4 backups? I would imagine there being a major need of some kind of backup, should a thruster fail!

From wiki:

Like previous rovers Mars Exploration Rovers and Mars Pathfinder, Curiosity is equipped with 6 wheels in a rocker-bogie suspension. The suspension system will also serve as landing gear for the vehicle, unlike its smaller predecessors.[51] Curiosity's wheels are significantly larger than those used on previous rovers. Each wheel has a pattern which helps it maintain traction but also leaves patterned tracks in the sandy surface of Mars. That pattern is used by on-board cameras to judge the distance traveled. The pattern itself is Morse code for "JPL" (·--- ·--· ·-··).

Although Curiosity has much bigger whels than Spirit/Opportunity so hopefully it shouldn't get stuck.

Speaking of Spirit, it reminded me of this:
    spirit.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭jkforde

really looking forward to this landing, watched a documentary on the development of the rover and the landing technology a good while back and even the development team at the start were disbelieving and daunted by the expectations and the how much they had to push the envelope in the time allowed but they managed it, truly inspiring what our species can achieve when we aren't fighting over petty worldly resources!.... fingers crossed.... :D

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

"Since I no longer expect anything from mankind except madness, meanness, and mendacity; egotism, cowardice, and self-delusion, I have stopped being a misanthrope." Irving Layton

Jkforde, it may be an obvious question but what was the name of that doc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭jumpjack

it's as big as a small car indeed. or as two 'spirit'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Timfy

From wiki:

Speaking of Spirit, it reminded me of this:

This cartoon always, without fail, makes me very sad :(

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

^indeed. But its still amazing to see how Opportunity is still working fine and doing lots of good exploration and work on the planet. The little rover just keeps on going!

For a rover designed to last 92 days but is over 3000 now, it has certainly done well! So if Curiosity has to last a year, it could (hopefully) last decades!!
    Did anyone catch the press conference the other day? I'm away from the pc so i haven't had a chance to look at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭jkforde

Jkforde, it may be an obvious question but what was the name of that doc?

can't remember. twas a type of behind-the-scenes at JPL on NASA TV interviewing mission scientists and techs (might've been one of their Edge programmes). have searched http://marsprogram.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/multimedia/videoarchive/ but can't see it. if I come across it I'll post it.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

"Since I no longer expect anything from mankind except madness, meanness, and mendacity; egotism, cowardice, and self-delusion, I have stopped being a misanthrope." Irving Layton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Great little vid.

Anyone know what time it's due to land? Coming back from honeymoon that morning from America, hoping it's not too early!

FOUND IT. Curiosity is scheduled to land at approximately 10:31 p.m. PDT Aug. 5 (1:31 a.m. EDT, Aug. 6)

Times like this i wish there was a go-pro strapped to its back!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Times like this i wish there was a go-pro strapped to its back!

There's a camera under the lander seemingly, so we'll get pics back of the sky crane working.

Aye, i hope it has a decent frame rate!

I think they are hoping to catch it landing with one of the orbiting satellites.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Great little vid.

Anyone know what time it's due to land? Coming back from honeymoon that morning from America, hoping it's not too early!

FOUND IT. Curiosity is scheduled to land at approximately 10:31 p.m. PDT Aug. 5 (1:31 a.m. EDT, Aug. 6)
    That will make it 06:31 Irish time on Aug 6.

Taken from a website run by Malin Space Science Systems:

With the primary concern raised about MARDI addressed, the NASA Associate Administrator for the Science Mission Directorate agreed to return MSL MARDI to flight status. MARDI will be delivered in May 2008, and will take 1600x1200 pixel RGB color images at a rate of 5 frames per second during about 2 minutes of descent and landing in September 2010.

This being from the phoenix lander which had the same camera as MSL. 5fps is not too bad and the resulting video should look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

Great little vid.

Wow...

latest_msl_over.png

Wow, so close yet 13 MILLION km away.

Any updates on this?

• Advertisement

Any updates on this?

It hasn't landed yet.... :pac:

:pac: :pac:

Any updates on this?
    None that i know of right now. 12 to 13 million km to go so i would expect some procedures beginning, camera tests, orientation etc.

Some more light reading: (It's kind of more of the same but it's all there is right now!)
    http://www.smartplanet.com/blog/savvy-scientist/nasas-sky-crane-over-mars/500
    Mars is a much more intimidating place to land a spacecraft than those other worlds are because its atmosphere is paradoxically too dense to ignore and too thin to exploit well. The Martian atmosphere is only about a quarter as deep as Earth’s and its pressure is far lower but it still imposes a serious barrier to any spacecraft entering it at high speed.
    Moreover, the planners of the Mars Science Laboratory’s mission have upped the ante by trying something extra ambitious during the initial atmospheric entry phase. Normally, space probes making fiery atmospheric entries have no control over their movements, so their landing sites can be predetermined only to within hundreds of kilometers. The Mars Science Laboratory craft, however, will for the first time attempt a guided entry, with thrusters trying to keep it within 20 kilometers or so of the preferred site in the Gale Crater — a geologically interesting area where Curiosity ought to be able to learn a lot about how water has acted on the planet throughout history.

And a Ustream video on the landing site, presented by Matt Golombek:http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/21799427
    It's an hour long but worth it!:)

From nasa:
    Mission Status Report

PASADENA, Calif. -- A maneuver on Tuesday adjusted the flight path of NASA's Mars Science Laboratory spacecraft for delivering the rover Curiosity to a landing target beside a Martian mountain.

The car-size, one-ton rover is bound for arrival the evening of Aug. 5, 2012, PDT (early Aug. 6, EDT and Universal Time). The landing will mark the beginning of a two-year prime mission to investigate whether one of the most intriguing places on Mars ever offered an environment favorable for microbial life.

The latest trajectory correction maneuver, the third and smallest since the Nov. 26, 2011, launch, used four thruster firings totaling just 40 seconds. Spacecraft data and Doppler-effect changes in radio signal from the craft indicate the maneuver succeeded. As designed by engineers at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif., the maneuver adjusts the location where the spacecraft will enter Mars' atmosphere by about 125 miles (200 kilometers) and advances the time of entry by about 70 seconds.

"This puts us closer to our entry target, so if any further maneuvers are needed, I expect them to be small," said JPL's Tomas Martin-Mur, the mission's navigation team chief. Opportunities for up to three additional trajectory correction maneuvers are scheduled during the final eight days of the flight.

The maneuver served both to correct errors in the flight path that remained after earlier correction maneuvers and to carry out a decision this month to shift the landing target about 4 miles (7 kilometers) closer to the mountain.

It altered the spacecraft's velocity by about one-tenth of a mile per hour (50 millimeters per second). The flight's first and second trajectory correction maneuvers produced velocity changes about 150 times larger on Jan. 11 and about 20 times larger on March 26.

Shifting the landing target closer to the mountain, informally named Mount Sharp, may shave months off the time needed for driving from the touchdown location to selected destinations at exposures of water-related minerals on the slope of the mountain.

The flight to Mars has entered its "approach phase" leading to landing day. Mission Manager Arthur Amador of JPL said, "In the next 40 days, the flight team will be laser-focused on the preparations for the challenging events of landing day -- continuously tracking the spacecraft's trajectory and monitoring the health and performance of its onboard systems, while using NASA's Deep Space Network to stay in continuous communications. We're in the home stretch now. The spacecraft continues to perform very well. And the flight team is up for the challenge."

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/msl/news/msl20120626.html#

Here we go!!!!!!!!:D:D

I was thinking, wouldn't it be cool if opportunity caught a picture of MSL entering the atmosphere! I'm trying to ascertain if their paths may cross but my grasp of orbital mechanics is somewhat poor!:)

edit: It will be on the opposite side and MSL isn't going to orbit at all, just go straight in so i don't think Opportunity will see anything.

edit#2: Here's a pdf with some more detail on the landing phase. There's some cad drawings..........

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/20090007730_2009006430.pdf

• Advertisement

I was thinking, wouldn't it be cool if opportunity caught a picture of MSL entering the atmosphere! I'm trying to ascertain if their paths may cross but my grasp of orbital mechanics is somewhat poor!:)

edit: It will be on the opposite side and MSL isn't going to orbit at all, just go straight in so i don't think Opportunity will see anything.

edit#2: Here's a pdf with some more detail on the landing phase. There's some cad drawings..........

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/20090007730_2009006430.pdf[/QUOTE]
    Cool stuff! Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I was thinking, wouldn't it be cool if opportunity caught a picture of MSL entering the atmosphere!

Like this time, when the MRO caught a picture of the Phoenix lander parachuting down.

I put up another picture like the one above but the one above had updated itself. So here's the link to the nasa web page showing it:
    http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/msl/news/WhereIsCuriosity.html
    Another few million miles shaved off!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭camlinhall

Does anyone use online simulators to get an idea what it looks like from the viewpoint of the MSL as it heads towards Mars? The NASA website gives the "Eyes on the Solar System" visual tool, I was hoping to see how Mars was growing in size from the perspective of MSL, which is about 10 million kms out as I write. Mars would be taking up about a 2 second arc of the sky, and would appear a fifteenth the size of the moon as we see it from Earth. But it appears the same size as background stars on the simulator, maybe I'm doing something wrong here.

Closest i can find is this:http://marsprogram.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/mission/whereistherovernow/
    msl_today3.jpg

And a view equivalent to seeing mars through a 16X70 pair of binos, from MSL's location on june 18th:
    msl_today6.jpg

• Advertisement

Here is the JPL solar system simulator:

http://space.jpl.nasa.gov/

Should be useful!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭camlinhall

Here's what they think the situation looks like today. At 2' arc I think Mars would be starting to look bigger.

NASA totally needs to start putting live stream web cam type devices on these.

Even some still shots of the probes from a camera on a tether with the sun at the rear lighting the probe would be excellent. Use HDR exposure techniques then to show the stars too

:)

I would happily pay into a fund to have a camera like that on various spacecraft!
    It would be nice if the landing camera on curiosity would come on before the heatshield seperated. Then we could actually see the thing falling away. Its things like that that give me the feeling of being there!
    I dont think there is a camera on the descent stage either, only the rover. I'd say the mast cameras are well stowed to protect them so there would be no feed from them.
    But seriously, how hard would it be to space rate a few mobile phone cameras and stick them in a few good locations, store the data and send it home later?
    I guess i'll have to dream on eh?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Would be amazing alright. I guess a live stream would be asking too much, but if it was available I would pay well to be able to view it.

I would happily pay into a fund to have a camera like that on various spacecraft!
    It would be nice if the landing camera on curiosity would come on before the heatshield seperated. Then we could actually see the thing falling away. Its things like that that give me the feeling of being there!
    I dont think there is a camera on the descent stage either, only the rover. I'd say the mast cameras are well stowed to protect them so there would be no feed from them.
    But seriously, how hard would it be to space rate a few mobile phone cameras and stick them in a few good locations, store the data and send it home later?
    I guess i'll have to dream on eh?!
    While its a nice idea it would take up bandwidth which may not be available as it is necessary for monitoring the health of the vehicle at crucial times like landing. For this reason images are often recorded and played back later. It all depends on the available bandwidth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 914 ✭✭✭DarkDusk

Can't wait for landing day, I've been following this ever this it launched! Unfortunately, I have a bad feeling that everything is not going to go to plan - the landing sequence looks very risky and complicated! We all will be hoping for the best!

The skycrane maneuver is off the wall but i have faith in it. I've seen various videos of things like quadrocopters, rc helis copying a human pilot then improving maneuvers as they repeat them, even lego mindstorms two wheeled machines balancing!

It'll work.......honestly!:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement