Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is a realistic time frame to lose 7 stone

Options
  • 28-06-2015 6:12pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 268 ✭✭

I am 6ft tall and 20.5 stone , my long term goal is 13.5 stone. How long do you think it would take if I ate healthy 90% of the time and trained hard in the gym 4 or 5 times a week?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

The first 5 stone, about a year, the next 2 stone could take a while though...

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

You need to define what eating healthy means to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If you diet is close to perfect, then you'll do it in 12-18 months.
    But depending on what your idea of "healthy 90% of the time"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

It's very age dependent too.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

What age are ye, and are ye a man or a woman? Gonna follow this thread myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

I'd say 12-18 month.

But you'll see progress all the way it's not like 20 stone = bad and you feel bad all the way till suddenly 13.5 stone = good.

You'll start to notice improvements after a few weeks which should spur you on to keep motivated.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 268 ✭✭Paddy Dreadful

I'm 37 male

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I am 6ft tall and 20.5 stone , my long term goal is 13.5 stone. How long do you think it would take if I ate healthy 90% of the time and trained hard in the gym 4 or 5 times a week?

If you plan to do it the sensible, healthy way then it should be possible within a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

I was 19+st stone at the end of march, beginning of April. I am now 16st 5lb today so I am closing in on stone no.3 soon. I am walking 5km a day now. I cannot tell you how it has made an enormous difference to my physical and mental wellbeing!!! :) You can do it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭DarkoT

With proper diet and hard working you can achieve your goal in 1,5 years or maybe even in one year. Everything depends of your commitment.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

And remember - however long it does take you to come down, plan to allocate a similar amount of time getting back to "normal" eating patterns to make sure you KEEP it off :)

10lbs down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

10lbs down

Fairfcuks lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

10lbs down

Care to answer the questions about healthy eating etc above?

Losing weight is good only if you're doing it in a healthy way. Genuinely interested!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Join slimming world. i Have lost 2 stone since January. I get a chinese every second week, and i haven't upped my exercise at all

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

best of luck op. doing good

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Join slimming world. i Have lost 2 stone since January. I get a chinese every second week, and i haven't upped my exercise at all

Did they put you on shakes or some other sh1t like that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Yeah, tell me what they do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Sam Kade wrote: »

Nope, they just encourage clean eating.

Check out their free 7 day sample menus

Non Vegetarian menu

Vegetarian Menu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Nope, they just encourage clean eating.

Check out their free 7 day sample menus

Non Vegetarian menu

Vegetarian Menu

The one thing idon't like about those kinda groups is this low cal cooking spray...their seems to be almost a lack of good healthy fats

• Advertisement

Care to answer the questions about healthy eating etc above?

Losing weight is good only if you're doing it in a healthy way. Genuinely interested!

7am large glass of water and multivitamin

8:30 2 cups of black coffee

12:30 lunch large baked potato, large chicken breast mixed veg

3:30 train , this 3 times a week with a days rest in between, I walk for an hour on my off days

Rest 2-3 mins in between sets

Workout A Shoulders & Back

1. Weighted Chin-ups:2 sets – 4-6 reps, 6-8 reps
    2. Standing Barbell Press:2 sets– 4-6 reps,6-8 reps
    3. Seated Cable Rows:2 sets– 4-6 reps, 6-8 reps
    4. Lateral Raises:4 sets x 10-15 reps
    5. Hanging Leg Raises:2 sets x 10-15 reps

Workout B Lower body and Biceps
    1. Single Leg Squats: 2 sets – 6-8 reps, 8-10 reps
    2. Romanian Dead lifts: 2 sets– 6-8 reps, 8-10 reps
    3. Standing Calf Raises:2 sets– 10-12 reps 12-15 reps
    4. Barbell Curls:2 sets– 6-8 reps 8-10 reps
    5. Hammer Curls: 2 sets 6-8, 8-10 reps

Workout C Chest & Triceps

1.Incline Bench Press: 2 sets 4-6 reps,6-8 reps
    2. Flat Bench Press: 2 sets 4-6 reps, 6-8 reps
    3. Skull Crushers: 2 sets 6-8, 8-10
    4. Rear Delt Flyes: 4 sets x 10-15 reps
    5. Abs Wheel Roll outs: 2 sets x 10-15 reps

5pm-dinner baked potato, steak or salmon, mixed veg

8pm snack-3 eggs scrambled

Once a week saturday night-cheat meal:Indian meal and desert and 1 bottle of red wine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭ms.sunnyb

I would replace the baked potatoe with brown rice a few times a week, filling up on veg instead of carbs. Starting the day with breakfast helps get your metabolism going, squeez half a lemon in hot water instead of coffee and porridge with fruit for breakfast, dropping the evening scrambled egg, maybe just a handful of nuts or crackers and hummus or something instead that late at night. Eat fruit and nuts as snacks. Join exercise classes, spinning or something, this really motivates you to exercise

ms.sunnyb wrote: »
    I would replace the baked potato with brown rice a few times a week, filling up on veg instead of carbs. Starting the day with breakfast helps get your metabolism going, squeez half a lemon in hot water instead of coffee and porridge with fruit for breakfast, dropping the evening scrambled egg, maybe just a handful of nuts or crackers and hummus or something instead that late at night. Eat fruit and nuts as snacks. Join exercise classes, spinning or something, this really motivates you to exercise

What I find is that everyone is an expert with fitness and its not black and white, there is absolutely nothing wrong with having baked potatoes twice a day, they are one of the most filling carbs you can eat and have thrice as much vitc C as an orange, carbs are also important for maintaining testosterone production , one of the most important thing with dieting is eating foods you enjoy otherwise you wont stick to it, also breakfast is not that important, now I'm not trying to convince you or anyone , this is something I personally believe but I dot need anyone to believe it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Sorry for jumping in here, but I have to ask
    1. Weighted Chin-ups:2 sets – 4-6 reps, 6-8 reps
    You're pulling up 20+stone of weight between 10 and 14 times, that's a serious work out for someone just starting.

Clareman wrote: »
    1. Weighted Chin-ups:2 sets – 4-6 reps, 6-8 reps [/b]
    You're pulling up 20+stone of weight between 10 and 14 times, that's a serious work out for someone just starting.

Im using the assisted machine

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

ms.sunnyb wrote: »
    I would replace the baked potatoe with brown rice a few times a week, filling up on veg instead of carbs. Starting the day with breakfast helps get your metabolism going, squeez half a lemon in hot water instead of coffee and porridge with fruit for breakfast, dropping the evening scrambled egg, maybe just a handful of nuts or crackers and hummus or something instead that late at night. Eat fruit and nuts as snacks. Join exercise classes, spinning or something, this really motivates you to exercise

The breakfast thing isn't true.

And not much point suggesting he has brown rice instead of a baked potato. Easy enough to have a big portion of rice that has more calories and carbs than a baked potato. And nothing wrong with eggs either.

Not having a go at you. You're trying to help. I just don't think it improves what he's doing.

Of only for the blasphemous suggestion of dropping coffee ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

How long is a piece of string. Depend on diet, physical activity, commitment etc. Think long term. Forget looking for a quick fix. Sustained weight loss should occur at about 1-2lb on average a week. Some week you may lose more particularly in the early stages as you shift water weight. Forget the likes of the weight loss you see on "the biggest loser" etc. The bulk of contestant put the weight back on almost immediately after leaving the show.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

What I find is that everyone is an expert with fitness and its not black and white, there is absolutely nothing wrong with having baked potatoes twice a day, they are one of the most filling carbs you can eat and have thrice as much vitc C as an orange, carbs are also important for maintaining testosterone production , one of the most important thing with dieting is eating foods you enjoy otherwise you wont stick to it, also breakfast is not that important, now I'm not trying to convince you or anyone , this is something I personally believe but I dot need anyone to believe it

Well said, check out Rich Froning, he eats what he wants, but in fairness the man is an animal :D:D

Clareman wrote: »

Im using the assisted machine

Ahhhh, thanks, sorry for the stupid question, well done, keep it up fair play

• Advertisement

I'm following a program on you tube called kino body from a guy named Greg O' Gallagher

Advertisement