Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eircom DSL - DNS Lookups Slow

• 01-07-2009 8:40pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I'm having terrible issues this evening performing DNS lookups. Takes about 10 to 20 seconds to do the lookup but once done the page loads in normal time.

In Dundalk - wondering if it's me or if anyone else is having issues.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

Same problem here in Mayo and it won't let me log onto my ps3. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Not in that area myself but (even temporarily) switching to OpenDNS might help your situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭MartyM

Yip....was just about to post! I'm in Sandyford area....

I think the DNS servers are going up and down.....running full diagnostics, it fails on the IP test, then next time it will pass!??

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Yea I first noticed when I tried to log into Xbox Live. Tried the PC and it's the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭pdebarra

Yeah, noticed in Donegal and Kildare also.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Seems to be getting better now actually but could be intermittent as MartyM said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

:( here as well in D15,
    :confused: arrrrrrrrrrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭MartyM

ethernet wrote: »
    Not in that area myself but (even temporarily) switching to OpenDNS might help your situation.

hi ethernet, how do I switch? Is it just via the browser? Whats the actual IP address of OpenDNS?

thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Try a different server. 208.67.222.222 or 4.2.2.2

Edit: hmm, a bit slow. 208.67.222.222 is one of the Open DNS servers.

You could also try extending your DNS cache timeout settings so you don't need to do lookups so often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Slow here and can't access eircom mail either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Having problems here as well. On eircom and can connect to some sites like boards.ie fine but others like google are a no go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

same in Pallaskenry Limerick :D
    but disconnecting from my router and reconnecting seems to be working fine now again. prob dumb luck though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Same in North Dublin - have switched to Open DNS and is okay now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

I would highly recommend that everyone take one minute to switch to OpenDNS. http://www.opendns.com/

They're much faster and have loads of features that are actually useful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

yep thing's actin wacko.. crumlin/dublin.. will open DNS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Totally borked last few days, no matter what eircom package. Did Eircom let all the good techs go :P ?

FruitLover wrote: »
    You could also try extending your DNS cache timeout settings so you don't need to do lookups so often.

on the Netopia DNS page, it says timeout is 0 to 3600 sec - 3600 is the default - what if we switch to the 'always on' option guys? can anyone tell me would this mean my PS3 is less likely to drop as i play a lot of sports sims and one interruption is the difference between winning.. and losing.

not that it happens often - would like it eliminated altogether though! dreaming.

not that the connection drop happens often.. -if i change to always on' it removes the timeout option altogether. does this mean it does not do lookups at all? aside from a certain 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

blubloblu wrote: »
    I would highly recommend that everyone take one minute to switch to OpenDNS. http://www.opendns.com/

They're much faster and have loads of features that are actually useful.
    .. and some features that are less than useful, like redirecting to their website when a lookup fails rather than returning an error status. OK for web browsing, but useless for any other application that does DNS lookups, resulting in long timeouts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

its happing again

• Advertisement

whAt?!? booted up Fight Night, 7 rounds in and lost connection/match.

this DNS crap again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

glossy wrote: »
    its happing again

Look, just change to opendns and leave the crappy Eircom ones, I'm on Eircom and have no dns problems as I've been using opendns for over a yr. Opendns even does a better job of fixing mistakes (like typing .cmo instead of .com etc) also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

mines acting up aswell, its very annoying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Acting up here right now, although appears to be getting better.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Acting up again this evening for me.

This is day 2 of my Eircom broadband service. My entry onto the network has clearly broken their DNS service. Sorry about that, folks. I've switched to OpenDNS now, though, so hopefully that'll solve that.

I've now switched to opendns on web and also my ps3. Much better already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Switched to opendns on the router...all OK now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

OpenDNS works a treat. By the way, they are:

These are publicly accessible DNS servers belonging to Verizon/GTE:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Very unresponsive in Cork as well.:mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,506 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Seems OK now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

cpu-dude wrote: »
    OpenDNS works a treat. By the way, they are:

These are publicly accessible DNS servers belonging to Verizon/GTE:

I haven't been able to access some big websites, particularly www.ebay.com or .ie while using 4.2.2.x DNS servers. It could be limited to people on vodafone/perlico (same company) however. See http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055611689 for details.

OpenDNS definitely works, but i prefer to use another IP's DNS. Voda's own DNS is actually pretty decent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I call for sticky, this regularly comes up. Althogh Eircoms DNS may be ok today, chances are it'll go to shít again before long

Here's an interesting one. Whenever I set my DNS servers to OpenDNS, my router crashes.

I have to reset it then, so I seem to be stuck using Eircom's service.

Anyone else encountered this?

I must try it with the Verizon servers mentioned above - but perhaps not when family members are trying to watch Wimbledon!

Hmmm... Possible workaround. Have set my network card to use Open DNS instead of Eircom. Will report on success, or lack thereof, for anyone who might be interested.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ArcadeFred

It's really bad this evening :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Lamposts

I changed mine to those and it works a treat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

sigh. boards seems to be only site that works for me

What the hell they doing? It's been acting up last few days.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I'm having trouble here as well. Can't log into Windows Live Messenger, pages keep timing out and my Digiguide won't update. I'm having similar problems on another computer so it's nothing I've done :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 559 ✭✭✭ZygOte

yup another fine eircom mess, switched to opendns servers all fine now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭TaxiManMartin

i switched over to opendns but when i try to check if its working on www.opendns.com it just times out.
    Anyone else having this problem with opendns?

All other sites seems to be back working now though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Champ

Its truly dire in Limerick at the moment.
    Managed to limp along manually to boards.ie via its IP (got lucky in the sense that while diagnosing the problem the DNS worked for the barest of seconds, not enough to load pages but enough to resolve a single IP).

Dug up this thread, grabbed the OpenDNS servers' IPs and made them my secondary DNS and once again I'm back online.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭TaxiManMartin

Massive packet loss too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭passingthrough

in wexford here and its terrible. wont even load simple pages like hotmail, i went to check my BB stats and when i click on check a picture of a woman comes up, shes not naked but she not wearing a lot either,very odd...what the hell is up with it??????

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I've having very similar problems, and like the OP, I'm in Dundalk.

I switched the DNS servers to OpenDNS, and I think it is working ok. However, www.google.ie won't load for me (and it nearly always works).

Edit: www.google.ie now working, and changing to OpenDNS seems to have helped considerably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭encryptix

same here, its absolutly awful right now...seems to happen every few months!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭passingthrough

how do you switch servers to openDNS?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

In Dundalk, browsing is horrible. Xbox Live is working to play against people online, no ping problems but some horrendous lag now and then. Marketplace is ****ed too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

Yea dns queries via Eircom are a disaster in Cork this evening.

lol:

picture.php?albumid=675&pictureid=3416

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement