Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grafton Street Buskers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

There's an episode of South Park that lampoons the Peruvian pan pipe phenomenon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭znv6i3h7kqf9ys

I am pie wrote: »
    Who is the header in the tiger suit that prances around near Marks & Spencers...he doesn't like he's playing with a full deck?

Don't ban him tho !
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y81CZZwDLr4

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Yeah, there should be an audition process.

There is, the people on the street conduct it. You know you pass if you get cash, if you get no cash you piss off home.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Saw a couple of guys doing football tricks today.

One of them was about 6 years old. It was mental!

More of those guys please!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

I saw a guy blowing bubbles - he was utter shyte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

AG2R wrote: »
    Does anyone know the name of the trad band that does be there most days?
    They don't sing any lyrics just the instruments, some flutes, tin whistle and guitars and the percussion box

Mutefish I think. They are all right but waaaay too loud; Grafton St is not a rock venue lads.

Delancey wrote: »
    I saw a guy blowing bubbles - he was utter shyte.

Vlad is his name and he's actually from Transylvania!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭GoldenTickets

Degsy wrote: »

I especially liked the part where the fat kid fell over.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Seasoft

Just returned from Santiago in Spain. Saw police checking buskers' permits. All lovely, except the standard was really low. Only one decent group that had an audience.

Grafton Street any day!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

I love the musicians playing on the street, whether they're good or bad... I remember one Christmas a long long time ago, walking down Grafton Street with my boyfriend.. full of life and people, music playing.. It was just awesome!

Other things such as the guy blowing bubbles or the sand sculptures, I've just no interest in stopping to watch. ;D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Has there been a day since this new policy came in that the 'amp free zone' at the top of Grafton Street has been obeyed?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Saw a couple of guys doing football tricks today.

One of them was about 6 years old. It was mental!

More of those guys please!

Dont like those "freestyle" chaps (havnt seen the 6 year old thought) I think they are a complete waste of people with decent ball control. Id be more impressed if they could pass a ball properly and at the right time.

The guy that does the kick ups with his crutches is impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I love the mix of buskers, good and bad - I don't see how you can "regulate" this without losing a lot of the spirit. I have no time for the statues, the pretentious writing and the sand sculptures - I'd like them thrown into a pit with the chuggers to fight to the death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

There was once a four piece quartet
    So a violin, cello, etc

The three lads and the lady were looking very classy, dressed up in tuxs and a ballgowan

Playing all the popular tunes like The Marino Waltz

Raking in the cash and fair play

I remember them years later

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭christmas2010

Don't mind most of the buskers on Grafton St.

The ones that annoy me are the ones around the Molly Malone statue hassling the tourists especially the aul fella with the cap and accordian. He seems to sit there most of the time making it very difficult for anyone to take a picture.
    He's completely unable to play the accordian.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

The ones that annoy me are the ones around the Molly Malone statue hassling the tourists especially the aul fella with the cap and accordian. He seems to sit there most of the time making it very difficult for anyone to take a picture.

I once ran a walking tour from the Molly statue - Most of the guys that show up there are just drunks looking for money - the spoon playing guy particularly - and I'm not a huge fan of the giant leprechaun guy either. While I was waiting for groups, I'd regularly see drunks sitting drinking at the base of the statue, whilst people took photos. That spot gets a HUGE amount of tourist attention and should be cleared out regularly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

That guy with the chalk annoys me :mad: in fact, all but the good buskers do. The only really good one I can recall is the guy that juggles fire, thats pretty cool. Otherwise, when I'm walking up an already busy street, having to side step to avoid some idiot writing about his life on chalk, or some guys in a ****e band, I get pretty annoyed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

Lapin wrote: »
    I'll bet you've never actually done that.

And if you have (which you haven't), its a very shítty thing to do.

I inadvertently walked across it while texting one day. I was only few steps in when I realised, but I was mortified! It does annoy me that someone takes over such a large portion of the pavement like that, but I still wouldn't be rude about it.
    AG2R wrote: »
    Does anyone know the name of the trad band that does be there most days?
    They don't sing any lyrics just the instruments, some flutes, tin whistle and guitars and the percussion box
    mhge wrote: »
    Mutefish I think. They are all right but waaaay too loud; Grafton St is not a rock venue lads.

Sounds like Mutefish alright, they gig in bars too, Sweeneys, Mercantile, decent band.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

I remember during the state visits last year, town in full lockdown mode. Wasn't that gobshíte sat in the middle of the cordons by Molly Malone.

Not sure how he could have made much cash though, the fences had him a good 10 feet away from the passing public.

• Advertisement

pithater1 wrote: »
    I remember during the state visits last year, town in full lockdown mode. Wasn't that gobshíte sat in the middle of the cordons by Molly Malone.

Not sure how he could have made much cash though, the fences had him a good 10 feet away from the passing public.

Saw him more than once pouring vodka into an orange juice bottle before starting his shift.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

You're a ray of sunshine aren't you. :pac:

Put them on one of those Viking tour boats with the tourists and anybody else who annoys you and cast them out to a watery grave.

stovelid wrote: »
    You're a ray of sunshine aren't you. :pac:

Put them on one of those Viking tour boats with the tourists and anybody else who annoys you and cast them out to a watery grave.

Dont forget the junkies,winos and other assorted degenerates that blight our beautiful city!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

We have the viking tour buses in Liverpool, but we call it the yellow submarine tour :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

dearg lady wrote: »
    I inadvertently walked across it while texting one day. I was only few steps in when I realised, but I was mortified! It does annoy me that someone takes over such a large portion of the pavement like that, but I still wouldn't be rude about it.

The guy writing in chalk is the one who's being rude-it's antisocial behaviour just like begging and chugging or waffling about Jesus over speakers and it detracts from the civic amenity. What do think he is exactly? A tortured misunderstood writer down on his luck or a shyster with a box of crayola? If he has some some inherent need to display his words in public he could get himself something like a portable whiteboard and write on that.

I'm all for good street performers btw-I think there should be more but a line needs to be drawn between entertainers genuinely earning some cash and this type of quasi-begging.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Not exactly busking, but has anyone else noticed that there's now at least three different homeless guys begging in Dublin with pet rabbits? Maybe the original lad has opened a franchise?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

nbar12 wrote: »
    has anyone seen the small lad doing keepy uppy's with his crutches? He's unbelievable
    I saw him in Oslo once. Couldn't believe it! Some of these street performers must do the rounds around Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

CucaFace wrote: »
    Yeah that Polish guy is class.

He can play the even play it by putting it between his knees.

This really proves my point exactly, i dont like the guy with the violin.
    It doesn't really matter how good or bad the busker is. Some people
    will like em some will hate them. You will never please all of the people
    all of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

mikemac1 wrote: »
    There was once a four piece quartet
    So a violin, cello, etc

The three lads and the lady were looking very classy, dressed up in tuxs and a ballgowan

Playing all the popular tunes like The Marino Waltz

Raking in the cash and fair play

I remember them years later

Think that was my buddy. Off doing bigger and better things musically now
    im sure youll be pleased to hear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

The best part of the new "performers" code is that The Riptide Movement will finally f*ck off.

Advertisement