Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool vs Chelsea, FA Cup Final, May 05, 17:15, Wembley Stadium

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I'm too disappointed to truly post my thoughts!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Aquila wrote: »
    Still buzzing:)

Congratulations,ye deserved it.

I`m a Liverpool fan for 30 years and that first half performance was shameful. Chelsea didn`t break a sweat in the first half and they didn`t even have to.

There`s way too much deadwood in that Liverpool team...it`s beyond a joke now.

Fair play to Andy Carroll,he showed the passion that`s needed at the club. He`s the only Liverpool player to come out of that game with any credit. And after all the abuse he`s taken? Over the last month or so he`s improved hugely. I wouldn`t give up on him yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,399 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

But it isnt the same at all levels (I'm assumeing your using the slovak 2nd division as some sort of indicator of a crap level) . The further down you go you start losing the linesman for a start. Sure even the Champions league at the minute has the extra officials being the goal that the premier league doesnt have.

They are playing with balls worth a couple of hundred each (if you've ever played with the official match balls, they are different) at the top level. Everythign from havign 40,000+ crowds to professional nutritinists and pitches like snooker tables and lines that are actually straight and measured means theres a world of difference between the top and bottom levels of football. They are usings replays to recind red cards and the like. Another thing thats not available at lower levels.

The view that the LOI First Divison is the same as top flight football (and that sameness would be ruined by the introduction of goalline technology) is, how shall I put this delicately, utterly ****ing retarded. If you are against goalline technology for that reason then you are either stupid or ignorant or both, sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

I loved seeing Di Matteo strolling over to the ESPN stand with the can of bud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

But its great crack if ye win/are winning?:)

Money down on a Drogba any time and Chelsea win. Come on!!

Get in!! :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Get in!! :D:D

Was 5/1 on William Hill. :) What odds did you get?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Johner wrote: »
    Was 5/1 on William Hill. :) What odds did you get?

4/1 on PP.

Drogba always scores in Wembley so I said I'd go for him and a Chelsea win. Delighted. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,541 ✭✭✭✭CSF

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    But it isnt the same at all levels (I'm assumeing your using the slovak 2nd division as some sort of indicator of a crap level) . The further down you go you start losing the linesman for a start. Sure even the Champions league at the minute has the extra officials being the goal that the premier league doesnt have.

They are playing with balls worth a couple of hundred each (if you've ever played with the official match balls, they are different) at the top level. Everythign from havign 40,000+ crowds to professional nutritinists and pitches like snooker tables and lines that are actually straight and measured means theres a world of difference between the top and bottom levels of football. They are usings replays to recind red cards and the like. Another thing thats not available at lower levels.

The view that the LOI First Divison is the same as top flight football (and that sameness would be ruined by the introduction of goalline technology) is, how shall I put this delicately, utterly ****ing retarded. If you are against goalline technology for that reason then you are either stupid or ignorant or both, sorry.
    Good point, well articulated. Never thought of it that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,541 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Oh and as an aside (not really related to why I don't want it), how would goalline technology have helped anything? The ball was still in play, should the ref have stopped play while waiting to be informed of the correct outcome? What if the ref had played on, chelsea played a long ball through and had scored in the time it takes for the ref to make his fully informed decision.

The reason video technology is more suitable to rugby is because it is full of stops and starts by its very nature imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,898 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Just saw the result, happy days.

Well done Chelsea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,805 ✭✭✭✭28064212

CSF wrote: »
    Oh and as an aside (not really related to why I don't want it), how would goalline technology have helped anything? The ball was still in play, should the ref have stopped play while waiting to be informed of the correct outcome? What if the ref had played on, chelsea played a long ball through and had scored in the time it takes for the ref to make his fully informed decision.

The reason video technology is more suitable to rugby is because it is full of stops and starts by its very nature imo.
    You haven't seen the numerous replies on this thread telling you that goal-line technology is instantaneous? Goal-line technology is not the same as video technology. The system connects directly to a device the referee has. Ball crosses the line, the ref gets notified instantly

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

28064212 wrote: »
    You haven't seen the numerous replies on this thread telling you that goal-line technology is instantaneous? Goal-line technology is not the same as video technology. The system connects directly to a device the referee has. Ball crosses the line, the ref gets notified instantly

How does that work then? Is there a device in the ball and how will that work if the whole of the ball has to cross the line?

There must be something in the ball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

How does that work then? Is there a device in the ball and how will that work if the whole of the ball has to cross the line?

There must be something in the ball
    adidas_teamgeist21.jpg

As soon as the ball crosses the line, it beeps or whatever so that the referee knows its over the line.

Instant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Just read the last page. Can't bear to read the tread as i'm sure the usual suspects are all over it, but is there really a debate about the ball over the line or not? Because it clearly wasn't and the officials made the right call. They can't give it if they're not sure!!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 492 ✭✭thebison

Graham Large ‏ @graham_large
    A group of Liverpool fans were ejected from Wembley for spitting on Chelsea fans in the lower tier. Disgusting behaviour. #LFC #CFC

As I said when a few Chelsea fans booed the minutes silence during the FA Cup Semi-Final - every club have idiotic fans.

Doesn't represent the majority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,399 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

CSF wrote: »

Wonderful, you've spent a few pages arguing against the introduction of something without understanding how it works. Good man.

icon14.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,734 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Wonderful, you've spent a few pages arguing against the introduction of something without understanding how it works. Good man.

icon14.gif

Was scratching my head reading those posts alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Not seen sky or anything, but was there anywhere that they showed the 3D version basically showing if ball did cross the line or not?

Sorry if way behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Part of me thinks FIFA likes to keep technology out precisely because it causes so much controversy. Mistakes/non-mistakes like these are an increasingly unique selling point in sport and a great talking point. Overall they really help to generate interest in the game itself. I'm certain that football would be less popular with the general public if the decisions were called correctly 100% of the time.

Regarding goalline solutions, at a glance I like the football with the sensor the best. Provided it didn't effect the physics of the ball itself and was reasonably easy to implement I could see it being a winner over video methods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Well done Chelsea - better team on the day. Win was fully deserved.

Saying that I was very impressed with Andy Carroll when he came on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

kitakyushu wrote: »
    Part of me thinks FIFA likes to keep technology out precisely because it causes so much controversy. Mistakes/non-mistakes like these are an increasingly unique selling point in sport and a great talking point. Overall they really help to generate interest in the game itself. I'm certain that football would be less popular with the general public if the decisions were called correctly 100% of the time.

Regarding goalline solutions, at a glance I like the football with the sensor the best. Provided it didn't effect the physics of the ball itself and was reasonably easy to implement I could see it being a winner over video methods.

Despite the fact that the second round of trials are taking place at the moment?

My best mate works for company who FIFA are trialing to get the technology in place.

He was only in Paris other day. Its only matter of time before it is in. Maybe not next season, but look like season after it will be implemented to some degree at very least.

Hawkeye or Goalref?

G.K. wrote: »
    Hawkeye or Goalref?

Hawkeye.

There couple of more too has far as I am aware.

He does not work for them directly, more a joined company and contract for short period, as its actually another company(the one he works for) thats helping hawkeye with all this

Hawkeye.

There couple of more too has far as I am aware.

He does not work for them directly, more a joined company and contract for short period, as its actually another company(the one he works for) thats helping hawkeye with all this

Hawkeye and Goalref are the only two still in trials.

Hawkeye and Goalref are the only two still in trials.

Ah OK. I might have mixed up the link up companys with that actual companies who will process all this.

FIFA will be making decision pretty soon though of that I do know as mate part time contract runs out within next couple of months as they(FIFA) it seems want decide this pretty quickly and get it up and running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Hawkeye would be more fun for the spectators, especially if they reviewed on the big screen like in tennis :D
    See 0:30 - 0:50 in this;

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Despite the fact that the second round of trials are taking place at the moment?

And how are the solutions for eliminating all the other types of refereeing mistakes from the game coming along?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭DaNiEl1994

fair play to chelsea well deserved better team won.

but just one thing i would like cleared up if anyone knows (hate to sound like im clutching at straws but) i was nearly sure the ball didnt have to cross the line fully i thought just more than half the ball had to cross the line fully like 51% if people know what i mean

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

DaNiEl1994 wrote: »
    fair play to chelsea well deserved better team won.

but just one thing i would like cleared up if anyone knows (hate to sound like im clutching at straws but) i was nearly sure the ball didnt have to cross the line fully i thought just more than half the ball had to cross the line fully like 51% if people know what i mean

I think that's only for the sidelines?

Advertisement