Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Motorhome / Conversion, VRT and You.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 mazzaru

M3 type is having a maximum mass exceeding 5 tonnes, my camper is 5.5t so so far I understood that we can do it coz it s a bus not a truck.

N2 and N3 categories are for trucks >3.5t and are not include for convertion as camper.
    It will not be possible, for registration tax purposes, to convert any vehicle other than an M1, M2, M3 or N1 vehicle to qualify it as a motor caravan, i.e. a Category M1, M2 or M3 vehicle a bodytype SA

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭niloc1951

They've updated the form since I've done my conversion and upped it to 5t. In you're situation the maximum weight under category M1 M2 or M3 is 5 tonnes, so I personally don't seem them allowing anything bigger than 5 Tonnes, as it wont qualify for any of the M1, M2 or M3 categories once converted. You'll need to make an enquiry about it.

With regards to the home conversion, I believe that its ok to convert yourself still, but they need to be certified by an SQI which is the current situation.

I think there is a little confusion in your piece above BTJ.

M1, M2 & M3 are not really relevant in the context of 'motor caravans'.

M1, M2 & M3 are themselves sub-categories of category M Category M Motor vehicles designed and constructed primarily for the carriage of persons and their luggage., at this 'top level' of the category, weights or passenger capacity have not yet been defined, these parameters are dealt within the sub categories M1, M2 & M3.

Motor Caravans are a sub-category themselves of the headline category M (not the sub-categories M1, M2 or M3), and in which there is no reference to weight.
    5.1. |(name) Motor caravan | (body work type code) SA | (definition) A vehicle of category M with living accommodation space which contains the following equipment as a minimum: (a)seats and table;(b)sleeping accommodation which may be converted from the seats;(c)cooking facilities;(d)storage facilities.This equipment shall be rigidly fixed to the living compartment. However, the table may be designed to be easily removable. |.

As can be seen, under Commission Regulation (EU) No 678/2011 of 14 July 2011 there is no defined weight criteria into which a vehicle is required to fall within in order to be considered a 'motor caravan'.

So, for example anything from a Romahome on a Citroen Berlingo to a 19.5 tonne 44" Monaco Diplomat is a Category M , Body type SA, Motor Caravan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭niloc1951

mazzaru wrote: »
    M3 type is having a maximum mass exceeding 5 tonnes, my camper is 5.5t so so far I understood that we can do it coz it s a bus not a truck.

N2 and N3 categories are for trucks >3.5t and are not include for convertion as camper.

THIS BEAUTY at 13,500 Kg GVW would have started life as an N3 before conversion and it is now most certainly an M 'motor caravan' of the lotto winners world :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7 1100shadow

mazzaru wrote: »
    Buford T justice : you say that on their form we can't convert anything bigger that 3.5t but I red their notes and it says we can only convert M1 M2 M3 and N1 vehicules not just the ones below 3.5t

I'm currently converting a merc bus 7.5t GVW (M3 category) and it s ready to go in the post for the revenue I just hope you are wrong on that part coz I would be stuck if we couldn't convert our bus camper.

Is it true that we can't convert a vehicule ourself anymore, It has to be done by a professional ? when that regulation comes into place ?

Anyway thanks for this thread you ve done a good job it did help us a lot.

On the 2nd page of the Declaration of Conversion form which states whats required they now require Invoices showing the cost of conversion. Does this rule out Home Conversions ?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 hplp

1100shadow wrote: »
    On the 2nd page of the Declaration of Conversion form which states whats required they now require Invoices showing the cost of conversion. Does this rule out Home Conversions ?
    I dont see why not. I thought there were more changes coming in in april that would rule them out.

Im having problems with the company that i used to engineer inspect it. They think he doesnt have the necessary qualifications.....

H

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 mazzaru

1100shadow wrote: »

I presumed it does. We did send invoices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Going to book in with Cawleys in Sligo next week for the NSAI check, CosyClassics have an SQI that comes in once a week or so but he charges €150 and only does a visual inspection for less than 5 mins! What a job!!

What's involved in the NSAI check?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

stevire wrote: »
    Going to book in with Cawleys in Sligo next week for the NSAI check, CosyClassics have an SQI that comes in once a week or so but he charges €150 and only does a visual inspection for less than 5 mins! What a job!!

They just have a quick scout around the van and make sure its a camper and not a van anymore. Simple as than, then sign and stamp paperwork and yer done.

They just have a quick scout around the van and make sure its a camper and not a van anymore. Simple as than, then sign and stamp paperwork and yer done.

Nice one thanks! Hopefully have a classified camper come April!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭PANADOL

Bought a 88 fiat ducato petrol motorhome Irish reg for 1300 euro then bought a 97 Ford transit 2.5d chassis cab for 5oo I plan to lift the motorhome body off the 88 fiat. And put it. On the 97 Ford anyway revenue will prob deem it to be worth 20k and the rest @ 13% could be up to 3 k only going to cost about in total about 2500 between purchase of two vehicles and conversion yet vrt could be 3k???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 barnabee90

I was wondering would insurance brokers even consider insuring a 22year old in a van conversion? Is it legal to carry passengers in the rear seats of the camper if seat belts are fitted... :confused:

barnabee90 wrote: »
    I was wondering would insurance brokers even consider insuring a 22year old in a van conversion? Is it legal to carry passengers in the rear seats of the camper if seat belts are fitted... :confused:

Yes and yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Poula

stevire wrote: »

I got all this done at the motor tax office only a few weeks ago. She did the inspection outside the tax office and did all the paperwork for me. Did you try this? Might be worth a go for the money it'll save you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Poula wrote: »
    I got all this done at the motor tax office only a few weeks ago. She did the inspection outside the tax office and did all the paperwork for me. Did you try this? Might be worth a go for the money it'll save you.

Whcih office was this?

Kildare

http://kildare.ie/countycouncil/motortax/MotorTaxGuide/

See the bit for Motorcaravans. I printed this off and brought it in with me. the girl who inspected it seemed more concerned about weither the taps worked!!!

You're talking about taxing the vehicle, we're talking about re-classifying it from a commercial van to a motorhome.

You're talking about taxing the vehicle, we're talking about re-classifying it from a commercial van to a motorhome.

I'm not so sure... I was in the Naas tax office a couple of months ago taxing my van and informed the lady i was converting it to a camper. She gave me a very basic camper conversion sheet and said I needed to book an appointment to have it inspected. It said on the sheet that the 1.8m rule would be measured, I asked the lady about this and she said if it's under 1.8m then they can't reclassify it. I left it at that and have gone down the main route of sending the forms to the CVO. It looked to me that Naas were still doing it the old way of rocking up to the tax office and have it inspected!

No. It was registered as a van and taxed as such. I went to the tax office with my vlc (commercial van). Explained what I wanted to do. She inspected the van to make sure it was camper compliant.She Wasnt too concerned tbh. Just glanced around. Never measured height or anything
    Then i signed a form declaring that I was chnging the tax class to motorcaravan. She stapled this to my vlc and told me Id get a new updated one in the post. Sure enough about a week later it arrived. It said motorcaravan on it. I popped back down with this and taxed it as a camper. Like I said. give it a go. Be nice, play dumb and you might save yourself a few quid.

No. It was registered as a van and taxed as such. I went to the tax office with my vlc (commercial van). Explained what I wanted to do. She inspected the van to make sure it was camper compliant.She Wasnt too concerned tbh. Just glanced around. Never measured height or anything
    Then i signed a form declaring that I was chnging the tax class to motorcaravan. She stapled this to my vlc and told me Id get a new updated one in the post. Sure enough about a week later it arrived. It said motorcaravan on it. I popped back down with this and taxed it as a camper. Like I said. give it a go. Be nice, play dumb and you might save yourself a few quid.

What is the internal height of your van?

its 1.86m at its lowest point. Its a medium high roof Nissan Interstar van.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Shaymeyabu

Just off the phone with Louth CoCo. Seems they're still doing the old way.

I'm a bit confused, looks like they changed the process again. I sent the forms, photo's etc to the CVO last week. Got a letter in the post yesterday with the log book returned with a stamped note saying "declaration of camper with x seats, bodytype SA etc" in the Notes section of the log book.

Hoping to get to the tax office over the next day or two so see what happens!

Did you leave any fields blank? sounds to me like what they did when they sent mine back to me in the first instance. Clear as mud as usual.

Did you leave any fields blank? sounds to me like what they did when they sent mine back to me in the first instance. Clear as mud as usual.

No everything was filled out, along with a load of pics and a couple of invoices. They stamped and signed the logbook along with a note about what it is to be converted to. The letter said to bring the logbook to the tax office to complete the declartion of conversion to campervan.

I'll report back after a trip to the tax office!

At what stage do you get a vrt bill?

At what stage do you get a vrt bill?

They gave it to me once they got the forms sent in. Had to pay it before I got my new log book.

That said, it seems like the goalposts are changed all over again now, and its only this time last year I did mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Greenwoods

I've been following this thread which has been extremely helpful, I am just about to send off the forms, photos etc to Rosslare, but before I do, I just want to check beforehand how have the goalposts changed exactly?

My situation is I have converted a 2011 panel van, it was registered by the garage but never taxed, I purchased it in 2012. I don't have a logbook, I have a RF 100 form which I am to fill in myself, this includes selecting a motor tax class.

Again great information and much appreciated.

They gave it to me once they got the forms sent in. Had to pay it before I got my new log book.

That said, it seems like the goalposts are changed all over again now, and its only this time last year I did mine.

I just did all me business in the Local Motortax office. All very simple. Seems a bit unfair that depending on where you live there are different rules to the same game.

Greenwoods wrote: »
    I've been following this thread which has been extremely helpful, I am just about to send off the forms, photos etc to Rosslare, but before I do, I just want to check beforehand how have the goalposts changed exactly?

My situation is I have converted a 2011 panel van, it was registered by the garage but never taxed, I purchased it in 2012. I don't have a logbook, I have a RF 100 form which I am to fill in myself, this includes selecting a motor tax class.

Again great information and much appreciated.

My brother finished his camper and only had an rf100 form. No logbook. He brought this and his van to the local motortax office and they did all the paperwork for him after they inspected the van. 2 weeks later he had his VRC with Motorcaravan on it. This was last november so recently enough. he didn't have to send anything to Rosslare. All done in the tax office. I then tried the same with my VRC and same same.
    Yet some people on here have had a ball of trouble doing the same thing. their local motor tax office have refused to handle it and have refered them to Roslare and a major paperchase..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭jamesbil

any one know what the new regs coming in on 29April re conversions needing to be done by a workshop are?
    or where to find them?

Advertisement