Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Player/BBC iPlayer/4OD et al

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Had a quick look there, RTE is very poor. I was surprised how good 4 OD was, shame about the poor selection of shows to watch though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,621 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

sorry to bump this thread but Rte video is dreadful, visually ****e and the talking is out of sync

dreadful service

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,917 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

If you skip at all with the RTE player it goes out of sync which is really annoying when you have seen half a show. Picture quality is only ok 4OD is way better but it does seem to lack a lot of the shows the normal 4od has.

Still cant complain for a free service, when you consider the cost involved in getting the awful SKY service for Xbox360.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭_sparkie_

where os the tv icon on the xmb? it isnt showing up on my ps3 but the console says it has the latest update installed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,917 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

_sparkie_ wrote: »
    where os the tv icon on the xmb? it isnt showing up on my ps3 but the console says it has the latest update installed.

Sign out and turn it off turn it back on and sign in it should pop up.

i have turned my ps3 on and off loads of times over the past week and i still cant seem to find it. where should it be on the xmb?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,485 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I went to my account settings and "activated" my system for video, logged out and then I signed into my usual Irish playstation ID, thats when RTE player showed up, and then when I went back into my new UK ID, the UK ones showed up.

Hope that helps

I posted this last month and it worked a charm for me and for others, not sure if its the problem you're having but its definitely worth a try :)

Account settings - "activate system"

i went into 'account management' and it has 'game' and 'video' in there. i activated 'game' but for video it just says 'this service is not avaible in your country. do you think it could be because my HD is full? i have been getting a little message saying there is less then 500mb left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Lads the RTE Player only works on my 'master account', which isn't the main one I actually use.
    It doesn't show in my other user account - Any way of changing this?
    Or even is there a way of swapping master accounts?

Google isn't proving to be much help.

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭podge018

I used to always access RTE Player through the web browser and going to te.ie. works perfectly for me that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Anyone know how ya get this up on the XMB?? Had it working before but my PS3 has just been fixed and with the current update already installed, its still not there:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭lee70

How come we only get the ****e RTE i player and the UK get BBC ITV and probably a lot more. Also i've seen an ad for lovefilm.com for the puss3 but it's not downloadable on the irish system, whats the ballamorey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I would imagine it is all down to rights issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

You don't pay for a British television license therefore you don't get it. That's the arguement anyway. There has been talk of making the iPlayer available worldwide on a subscription basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭eddhorse

I have a similar issue with my new TV.
    Its got internet TV on it and LoveFilm.
    But i cant subscribe as i need to be in the UK, boooo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Actually we can get the channel 4 player and the ITV player cant we ???

You just need to add them as bookmarks on your browser on the PS3.

Other thread here :
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056119188

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

<Merged>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭lee70

eddhorse wrote: »

Other thread here :
    I think thats a link to the original thread, but i'll try the bookmark on the ps3 cheers.

eddhorse wrote: »

Other thread here :

I have 4OD on my UK account, don't know about the ITV player, don't recollect seeing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

F1ngers wrote: »
    I have 4OD on my UK account, don't know about the ITV player, don't recollect seeing it.
    Exactly right. BBC iplayer and ITV player aren't accessible to us. unless you know a workaround.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭flyer88

How do you create a UK account for the PS3??

flyer88 wrote: »
    How do you create a UK account for the PS3??
    Create a new user on the left of the XMB. then go to sign into the PSN. Create an account with the UK as the account type? Google an english address. Job done.
    Reboot the PS3 and it should show up for you.

Cheeers :D but what is the XMB?

flyer88 wrote: »
    Cheeers :D but what is the XMB?
    Cross media bar.
    i.e. the main menu of the PS3.
    http://www.google.ie/search?q=xmb&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a :pac:

Thanks man ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

Is this possible, have had a look on the net and it says it is in several places but doesnt go into any detail on how to set it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

Just create a new user, then create a new PSN account then select UK instead of Ireland for country. Once thats all done sign into your new account and 4oD should be there were RTE player was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

Or you could just go to this website on the PS3 browser its the 4Od playstation page http://ps3.channel4.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

Good stuff, thanks guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Ignore me I figured it out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Is there any way of getting all available channels shown on the PS3 XMB ?

mixednuts wrote: »
    Is there any way of getting all available channels shown on the PS3 XMB ?

No you have to create different accounts for different countries :(

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

I have a UK PS3 but you can just type in the address for 4OD and UTV player in the broswer.

I got RTE player working by going to http://www.rte.ie/playerxl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Will the TG4 Beo player ever be available like the RTÉ player?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I hope it is. TG4 uses a superb quality stream

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Klair88

just set up a UK account and BBC, ITV, 4od all appeared after i reset my system, but 4od is the only one that works. The BBC have copped it and realised because an error show's up saying it cannot broadcast outside of the UK, it would seem they know the score. ITV player has an error message appear saying that the programme cannot be found, maybe they've copped on too. 4od works fine with good quality streaming although me personally i dislike it because of the lack of programmes that interest me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Sucks. I ain't too bothered about 4oD to b honest, don't watch THAT much on Channel4, and I think most of what I watch wouldn't be as high a priority for 4oD as other stuff, so I ain't to bothered bout creating a UK account if 4oD is the only one that works.

I really want BBC and ITV players. I watch a lot of stuff on them, and when I miss stuff - like my darn Sky box switched over and the dvd of an ITV programme I was recording the other nite got an hour of a MTV channel instead! :( - I wanna be able to watch them on the players. I think it would be really good if we can get them.

As to the RTE one, the quality is crap, and they don't show much of anything. The one thing I missed once and went looking for on the player they were not showing, and I really thought they would have. It was an RTE created programme, and very popular etc but nope no dice. So I don't bother with the RTE player.

The BBC player is the same on the Wii. You can't get it at all if you are set to Irish. If you change your settings to UK you can get it, you can see what programmes are offered and all, but when you try to watch one it says not available in your area or some such. So no dice their either

No fair :(:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Everytime I try to load a video on the 4OD app (UK account) it just goes back to the main screen, anyone else having this issue or know a way around it?

S.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭chris139ryan

love 4od on the ps3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

hope they work on the quality of RTE player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

donmeister wrote: »
    Just create a new user, then create a new PSN account then select UK instead of Ireland for country. Once thats all done sign into your new account and 4oD should be there were RTE player was.
    Knave tried this and I am getting a polio saying that programs are only available in the UK. Any tips ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ComeraghBlue

Hi folks
    I'm a newbie
    Just got a ps3 yesterday 2nd hand and it's got RTE player in the tv section already, I'm just wondering how do I get 4oD?

Also I know we can't get bbciplayer in Ireland but if I signed up to PSN using a British address would I be able to get the iplayer? Also is there any other tv players on the ps3

Thanks

Hi folks
    I'm a newbie
    Just got a ps3 yesterday 2nd hand and it's got RTE player in the tv section already, I'm just wondering how do I get 4oD?

You can get 4od by making a UK account.
    Also I know we can't get bbciplayer in Ireland but if I signed up to PSN using a British address would I be able to get the iplayer? Also is there any other tv players on the ps3

Thanks

You can't get the iplayer without an UK ip address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Hi folks
    I'm a newbie

Thanks

you can get 4od by going on it from the web browser just save it into your favourites and its almost as easy getting to it than clicking on it on the XMB :P

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭dellWlan

Rte player now has a live tv link on website anyone know if it's coming to ps3 version?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭kristok 2

Don't see the point of setting up a uk account when 4od is only one we can watch and that's easy to get to in browser on ps3.channel4.com

Any other reasons for uk account ?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 BoboDub

is there any way to watch 4od on ps3 in irelamd without setting up a uk account?

BoboDub wrote: »
    is there any way to watch 4od on ps3 in irelamd without setting up a uk account?
    MarkY91 wrote: »
    you can get 4od by going on it from the web browser just save it into your favourites and its almost as easy getting to it than clicking on it on the XMB :P

• Registered Users Posts: 41 BoboDub

doesnt work for ne - when I go to the stadard link it says I need to upgrade flash (when I click to upgrade it says I have the latest version) and when I try the ps3.channel4.com it autodirects to homepage telling me I need to use the 4od ps3 app, which I can't get on psn ireland :(

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭kristok 2

BoboDub wrote: »
    doesnt work for ne - when I go to the stadard link it says I need to upgrade flash (when I click to upgrade it says I have the latest version) and when I try the ps3.channel4.com it autodirects to homepage telling me I need to use the 4od ps3 app, which I can't get on psn ireland :(

Would take you 2 min to set up a uk account to download the app then switch back to your normal profile and use the app

• Advertisement
Advertisement