Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is 2 euro a litre going to matter?

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

It's a fairer basis of comparison and it gives a truer picture of 'how safe it is' but it's not used outside academic circles. In fairness to the authorities, they never empasised greater car use as a reason for high fatalities in former years. I suspect the 'per million km travelled' figures still show positive trends year-on-year in Ireland. Over 600 people were killed in some years in the 70s when usage was way below what it is now and the numbers killed did not rise in the 90s and the first half of the noughties when car ownership and use exploded.

Yes there is a thing called Smeeds Law that shows road deaths falling as a given country's level of motorisation increases. It appears to apply accross many countries - some countries have managed to do this and also maintain levels of walking and cycling (eg the Netherlands). Others have simply followed the expedient of allowing these modes to largely die out other than in city centres (the UK and Irl)

The issue for us as cyclists is to separate out our death rate per million km travelled as a means of making one form of comparison between time periods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

rp wrote: »
    I've done it Maynooth/Ballinastoe (90km round trip), which makes for a nice warm-up/down, but it is much easier if you ride-up on Kojaks and change tyres in the car park.

I'm planning to go one better and get a bike trailer. I'll stick the full susser with the huge tires on the trailer and tow it with a road bike. Simples :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,800 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I suspect the 'per million km travelled' figures still show positive trends year-on-year in Ireland. Over 600 people were killed in some years in the 70s when usage was way below what it is now and the numbers killed did not rise in the 90s and the first half of the noughties when car ownership and use exploded.

Is that not essentially Smeed's Law?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smeed%27s_law

EDIT: Didn't see galwaycyclist's similar post.

Solair wrote: »
    It's actually rolled out quite well in Cork and Dublin, but I would wonder what the uptake is like. It seems quite expensive.

http://www.gocar.ie/cms/carsharing/en/4/cms?cms_knschluessel=TARIFE

I've been using it for two years. It seems to work out at about €8 per hour the way I tend to use it, which makes it more expensive than public transport, but usually cheaper than a taxi. I only use it for journeys where I have to bring the whole family on a journey where there are too many changes using public transport, or where it's a long journey not facilitated by public transport.

The real savings are in not owning a car (or not owning a second car). I spend a few hundred a year on GoCar, which is a sum about an order of magnitude lower than the average car owner spends. Admittedly, I've spent years figuring out how to do things by bike (and to a lesser extent public transport) as much as possible, but I think many families with a second car could save a lot of money by phasing out the second car in favour of GoCar, or something similar.

Similarly, public transport is a lot more competitive if you factor in the sunk costs of owning a car. Of course, you have to eschew owning a car in order to avail of the savings possible with public transport; if you already have paid for a car, it's often cheaper to drive.

EDIT: I forgot to say that you have access to a Transit van as well as cars, which is a very nice bonus if you need to buy something larger, or are planning to move house.

There has been a significant fall in road deaths which suggests the roads may be becoming a progressively safer cycling environment.

There is a direct relationship between indicators like fuel prices or unemployment rates and levels of road deaths.

It gets missed because the RSA and Garda like to claim credit and our national media aren't minded to rock the boat by asking awkward questions.

Interestingly, the recession was invoked to explain the fall in road deaths in Dublin city centre, partly to dismiss the possibility that the 30 zone had had an effect.

To be fair, it was the AA doing the dismissing, rather than the RSA. And again, to be fair, I don't know whether the 30 zone did have that large an effect. The 5-axle band seems more important to me, given the lack of enforcement of the 30 zone, much as I like the 30 zone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

As mentioned already I think there are significant hurdles that people would have to overcome in order to embrace the idea that cycling is a feasible alternative to commuting by car. One hurdle that still exists strongly, I believe, is the perceived image of cycling and what people believe it says about you. In my previous job I received a lot of sceptical looks when I arrived at client sites by bicycle. I wore regular clothes but I carried the signs of cycling such as helmet stuffed with lights and gloves under my arm. I believe I was seen as being a bit eccentric, my bicycle was the equivalent of sporting a handlebar moustache and plus fours. It simply wasn't seen as "professional" and I only got away with it by being good at my job so clients were willing to categorise my cycling as an anomaly that could be overlooked.

Times have changed, economically and otherwise, but I don't believe that skewed view of cycling as being something you do out of absolute necessity, or because of being a hippy, has gone away. Incidentally, some individuals at client sites saw my cycling as being a positive thing but their corporate culture didn't so even if they themselves saw it as a viable alternative for themselves their employer essentially seemed to discourage it. Image, apparently, is more important than many other factors. In my current job the philosophy is very different and many people commute by bike, but in my experience this is the exception.

Misconceptions about cycling create other significant hurdles too. For example, people believe that cycling is dangerous, they believe that they'll get rained on every other day, they believe bike maintenance is beyond them and expensive, they believe their bike will likely be stolen the first time they lock it somewhere public, etc. An increase in fuel prices won't eliminate those fears - it may well make people reassess whether such fears are rational, of course, but some of those fears seem to be simply accepted as basic facts and it'll take a lot more than financial concerns to challenge them.

Actually I suspect that even among cycling enthusiasts the bicycle isn't seen as all that it could be. How many people here, for example, would willingly give up their car(s) in favour of relying entirely on their bike(s) (plus public transport where necessary)?

I know that I'd be reluctant to make that choice. I only learned to drive in my mid 30's and I've had a car since then. Up to that point I commuted everywhere by bike, I shopped by bike, holidays were often by bike, etc. Being so dependent on a bike at that age made it hard for people to categorise me - I'd long since stopped being a student, and it wasn't that I couldn't afford a car, so hippy seemed to be the only category I could be slotted into. Since I bought a car I can harp on about how much more practical it is to, for example, do the weekly shopping by car - there's no denying it's easier, but in actual fact if I were to add a trailer to the bike then it would be perfectly feasible to so the same amount of shopping by bike instead. I reckon that a lot of us are clearly happy being cycling hippies, but cycling-with-a-trailer hippy-ism is perhaps a kaftan too far :)

I'd consider myself very open to the idea of cycling being a core part of daily life, and it is indeed a very important part of my family's life (my wife and I both commute by bike, we have a child trailer, my daughter already has a mini fleet of bikes :), etc.), but despite my dim view of motoring culture I can't deny that I've bought into it too to a certain extent. So while I can look at people who commute by car and wonder how they can possibly make that choice where cycling is a viable alternative, I reckon I should also challenge my own perception that I need my car in other situations.

Living a life entirely without a car is really a topic for another discussion but it might perhaps identify misconceptions, prejudice even, even on the part of some of those of us who consider commuting by bicycle to be the logical choice. And those same misconceptions may be at the heart of the dim view of cycling held by many people - maybe trying to explore our own misconceptions would help us understand the misconceptions of others, which may ultimately help us to find ways of addressing that negative view of cycling held by what seems to be a lot of people. Before we know it maybe we'll have convinced a lot of people of the benefits of cycling, and then we'll just have to figure out how to accommodate the increased numbers of fellow cyclists on the roads!

...whew, after such a hippy post I feel the need to go and wax my moustache, man.

doozerie wrote: »
    In my previous job I received a lot of sceptical looks when I arrived at client sites by bicycle. I wore regular clothes but I carried the signs of cycling such as helmet stuffed with lights and gloves under my arm. I believe I was seen as being a bit eccentric, my bicycle was the equivalent of sporting a handlebar moustache and plus fours.

I had a similar experience when I was carrying out a crowd count at Croke Park with my brother. We had clipboards and documentation, so were presenting a somewhat professional exterior, but I had a bicycle helmet with me hanging off my backpack -- this was back when I wore a helmet -- and this was commented on by a shopkeeper when we went in to buy lunch. He made some sarcastic comment about this very important person arriving on a bicycle. A very odd comment to make about a stranger.

Mind you, that was years ago. I think cycling is a little more, eh, fashionable now.

As for the eccentricity angle, I find it hard to tell, as very many things I decide to do are treated as the product of a wayward mind by my friends and family.

• Advertisement

I reckon that a lot of us are clearly happy being cycling hippies, but cycling-with-a-trailer hippy-ism is perhaps a kaftan too far :)

I have sunk that low.

126007.jpg

It may be down to being, shall we say, "careful with money", as Elaine Benes describe George Costanza. I would go to considerable physical effort to save several grand a year. Actually, I also enjoy physical effort more than most, I think.

I also don't enjoy driving, so renting cars a few times a year suits me fine. I know that most people do enjoy driving, at least in some scenarios. I'd rather not in just about every scenario.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Yes there is a thing called Smeeds Law that shows road deaths falling as a given country's level of motorisation increases. It appears to apply accross many countries - some countries have managed to do this and also maintain levels of walking and cycling (eg the Netherlands). Others have simply followed the expedient of allowing these modes to largely die out other than in city centres (the UK and Irl)

Does Smeed's law have no application in reverse? It appears inconsistent to me to talk about fuel prices and unemployment rates (essentially proxies for lower usage) as being the key explanation for reductions in road deaths while discounting higher usage being responsible, all other things being equal, for increases.

Does Smeed's law have no application in reverse? It appears inconsistent to me to talk about fuel prices and unemployment rates (essentially proxies for lower usage) as being the key explanation for reductions in road deaths while discounting higher usage being responsible, all other things being equal, for increases.
    I think the lower number of HGVs in a recession may be germane.

I also have a feeling that Smeed's Rule of Thumb might have been a better name.

EDIT: the apparent paradox is discussed here.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056306431&page=4
    I have no expertise, and have nothing to add.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭le petit braquet

cycling-with-a-trailer hippy-ism is perhaps a kaftan too far :)

Not until Assos market a bib kaftan with suitable padding:D

tomasrojo wrote:
    Mind you, that was years ago. I think cycling is a little more, eh, fashionable now.

I do think there is an element of cycling being fashionable at the moment, which possibly doesn't do it any favours as fashions are so transitory and seen as being a bit whimsical. I wonder how many people basically see cycling as something that people dabble in until they find some other distraction. Slightly derisory phrases like "Middle Aged Men In Lycra", which paints a picture of deluded men exploring something that is somehow comical or unsuitable, seem to have become part of the standard vocabulary of some media commentators when talking about cycling.

I'm not sure what is needed in order for cycling to be taken "seriously", to the extent that, for example, people stop staring in wonderment at the likes of a child trailer attached to the back of a bicycle, but we seem a long way off from that yet.

Yes, I think I must get questions or comments about the goods trailer every time I use it. Almost all positive, it has to be said, with quite a few people asking where I got it.

EDIT: But they, or the silent majority, may well think I'm mental.

• Advertisement

Similarly, my wife has had several people say very positive things about our child trailer when she has been towing it, and I've encountered such reactions myself too on occasion. The general response has been that child trailers are great things, but on the other hand some of those same people have said that they wouldn't use one themselves despite seeing the clear benefits.

Surprisingly, some elderly women have told my wife that they wished child trailers had existed in their day. I guess it's easy to assume that the older generation are more conservative but it's clearly not always the case.

Incidentally, doozerie, you'll notice in the photo the very kickstand you recommended to me. It's been a blessing; never again will my main bike not have a stand. Thanks for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I have sunk that low.

195632.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

i was in the netherlands for a week last week and seeing the infrastructure they have there for cycling is amazing. i always expected a lot of bikes but it is crazy! wherever i saw a road for cars there was a cycling path on both sides next to it. people use their bikes for everything there. about 15% id say have people sitting on the back no problem at all. it was cold enough when i was there and it was nice to see streams of people coming home from work on their bikes, both hands in the pockets trying to keep warm.
    people carrying big and weighty things in one hand and steering with the other during rush hour, the dutch have done things so well in this regard.
    its just the mentality they have there. 75+ year olds cycling everywhere on there bikes is not something you see here often

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Incidentally, some individuals at client sites saw my cycling as being a positive thing but their corporate culture didn't so even if they themselves saw it as a viable alternative for themselves their employer essentially seemed to discourage it. Image, apparently, is more important than many other factors. In my current job the philosophy is very different and many people commute by bike, but in my experience this is the exception.

I used to work for a crowd that seemed to go out of their way to give me hassle about cycling to work. Well maybe not the cycling to work, but the locking of my bike outside my place of work. I would do some night shift work and whenever we be on of an evening the underground carpark would be shut before we got in. Okay, so I tie the bike to a railing out side the office. My co-workers who drove cars would be in a similar situation and they would park in a visitor spot outside the front door of the building.

So far so good, but one day they start 'clamping' my bike with a u-lock, so I stagger out of the building after an 11 or 12 hour nightshift to see my bike stuck.

Many arguments ensued. The car drivers could park wherever the hell they liked because 'where else could they park, they've got a car?' and I got clamped every bloody morning. I'd end up having the same stupid conversation with the same grinning security goon every day I did the night shift. I was causing a serious blockage apparently (locking the bike to a decorative railing in nobodies way). I did have it clarified to me that if I could park in the visitor bays outside the front door in a car shaped and sized cardboard box that would be fine, just don't lock to the railing. :confused:

They felt that a lone cyclist was 'weird' enough to victimise in this way. Very disappointing.

• Advertisement

I was in the head office of SEAI (Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland, in Wilton Park House) a couple of months back and if I remember rightly there were signs up discouraging locking bikes outside the building. If there was a likelihood of bicycles causing an obstruction then that would be understandable but the route from the road to the building doorways is a wide brick-work thoroughfare (including a ramp, for motorised vehicles I assume) so a bike being an obstruction seems highly unlikely. Presumably bicycles are deemed unsightly, and somehow not in keeping with professional offices, in this case the offices of an organisation that champions environmental awareness and responsibility.

I checked with the person on reception who reckoned that I'd be fine just locking the bike to one of the several public signposts outside, which is what I did. In fairness to the SEAI they may not be the ones responsible for the various signs and restrictions, there may be a management company that imposes those restrictions, but it does demonstrate yet again the skewed view of cycling being something that you shouldn't really be seen doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭dancecatz2000

€2 a ltr will be a pain in the ass, im living in an area were there`s no public transport, nearest train station is 10klm away, its a 30 odd klm commute to work each way, when i drive with a light foot on the acceleration it costs me avg €8 a day(,i drive leave the car an cycle the last 5klm) cann`t sell the car cause the way market is i wont get anything for it,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

nearest train station is 10klm away,
    its a 30 odd klm commute to work each way,

There you are, sorted.

A nice 10k spin to the train in the morning to wake you up. Then a 30k evening spin on the way home to stretch the legs and get all your exercise done...

Or you could leave the bike at the railway station for a 10k spin home...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭dancecatz2000

id love to do that but you cannt bring your bike on in rush hour,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 324 ✭✭cranks

I think it will mean some sort of change in driving habits. It costs me about €80 to fill the tank at around €1.55 or so per litre at the moment. Stick that up to €2 a litre and it's going to cost well over €100. It amounts to the same thing but I think that notional amount will mean more to people than it being €2/l.

Whether it moves people to bikes, that remains to be seen.

Does anybody know, offhand, the average distance that people live from work?

strangely enough I came across article yesterday (no idea now where it was) that estimated 17km to be the AVERAGE commute. I think it was a U.S., New York study so take it for what it is. I'd be interested in Ireland/Dublin figures.
    Personally, I drive 60km to and from work (120 total per day).

As ever, 'average' is limited in what it tells us. Mode and median too would be more enlightening but there you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

cranks wrote: »
    strangely enough I came across article yesterday (no idea now where it was) that estimated 17km to be the AVERAGE commute. I think it was a U.S., New York study so take it for what it is. I'd be interested in Ireland/Dublin figures.
    Personally, I drive 60km to and from work (120 total per day).

As ever, 'average' is limited in what it tells us. Mode and median too would be more enlightening but there you go.

I had a quick look but couldn't see the info immediately. Blorg, however, replied with much more useful search results...quoted below.
    blorg wrote: »
    The average is quite high: 15.82km

However this figure is distorted somewhat by people with extremely long commutes; the mean is lower.

49% of all workers have commutes of 0-9km, which seems a reasonable distance to cycle. Half of all commuters is a lot.

In towns and cities this is a lot higher: 58% have 0-9km commutes. In rural areas commutes are longer; there 35% commute 0-9km.

Children also have much shorter distances to school on average.

Source: CSO Census 2006

http://census.cso.ie/Census/TableViewer/tableView.aspx?ReportId=76541

http://census.cso.ie/Census/TableViewer/tableView.aspx?ReportId=76593

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Detailed travel data for the Greater Dublin Area (GDA)... http://dublinobserver.com/2011/03/dublin-data-blog-how-when-and-where-travel/

To put it in context: The GDA accounts for nearly 40% of the population of Ireland. Inside Co Dublin alone accounts for 30% of the population of the whole country in I think about 1% of the landmass, and the vast bulk of that again is inside the M50.

Advertisement