Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teaching Council

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭NewHillel

This might be a good one to compare with. (Seriously, worth a read.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭golden virginia

3.4.6 create an environment where
    pupils/students can become
    active agents in the learning
    process and support their
    development as fully autonomous
    lifelong learners

Take this one requirement in the daft code( above ) as just one of many examples - is this responsibility really practical to pitch at a teacher as compared with principal / boards of management who have the control of the budget and school policy among other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Flashgordon197

Parents in this nation need not worry. They will NEVER be held accountable. NEWB have statistics on chronic absenteeism but never or rarely prosecute. Parents can continue to send their kids in week after week without homework safe in the knowledge that the state will clearly lay all blame for educational failure at the hands of teachers. I dont think we will get as bad as the UK but this code is a step in that direction.

What we need is schools where kids who wont work are removed. Lets create centres of excellence right in the heart of our most deprived areas where those kids who want to better themselves can excel instead of this pretence that one school can cater for all. All meaning time wasters .You could put the boot up teachers in these types of schools as well because your clientèle would be much better. But the bleeding hearts (who mainly send their offspring to fee paying schools) wont allow this-so instead we get a code to turn the screws on teachers .

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭NewHillel

Lets create centres of excellence right in the heart of our most deprived areas where those kids who want to better themselves can excel instead of this pretence that one school can cater for all. All meaning time wasters .

I'm substantially with you on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭madison2011

Re TC: So when sect 30 is enacted will tutors in the further ed sector be expected to register? I have had conflicting advice.

If there was no compunction to register at the time of appointment how can it be legal to add it in afterwards. Are you suddenly unfit to practice as a tutor having completed years of satisfactory service.

What are the repercussions. Can a VEC really terminate a contract in all fairness. Has this happened anywhere in the country?

I agree that second level schools should have stringent guidelines but further ed programmes are a different ball game.

I think I will chance opting out of registration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭Son of Jack

There is an opportunity to have some admittedly small influence in the Teaching Council.

Members having been sent out ballot papers.

Profiles for candidates below.

http://www.teachingcouncil.ie/latest-news/candidates-for-election.1197.html

Some candidates do make it very clear that they are unhappy with the way the TC is and would try to change it.

They can't attempt this unless they are voted in.

Otherwise the status quo will remain the same :(

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭markens2

Mods if there is an issue re: advertising/canvassing then feel free to remove.

I am running in the election for the TC and I guess you could say that I am anti Teaching Council. We really need to look at it's function and effectiveness, and if necessary scrap the whole lot.

I have a facebook page where more info can be found. PM me for details if you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

There is an opportunity to have some admittedly small influence in the Teaching Council.

Members having been sent out ballot papers.

Profiles for candidates below.

http://www.teachingcouncil.ie/latest-news/candidates-for-election.1197.html

Some candidates do make it very clear that they are unhappy with the way the TC is and would try to change it.

They can't attempt this unless they are voted in.

Otherwise the status quo will remain the same :(

Humbug :mad:..

My 'candidates' were elected unopposed!!! Is it possible to vote for another region's candidate?

Markens2 i'm all for canvassing, it's an open forum here so I reckon any candidate should be free to come here and answer questions etc... politicians are allowed knock at yer front door, so if they dont call around then that's their lookout..

Perhaps mods could send invites!!!!

My facebook page, Stephen Marken Teaching Council is the best place to go in order to get the information that you need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,773 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Re TC: So when sect 30 is enacted will tutors in the further ed sector be expected to register? I have had conflicting advice.

If there was no compunction to register at the time of appointment how can it be legal to add it in afterwards. Are you suddenly unfit to practice as a tutor having completed years of satisfactory service.

What are the repercussions. Can a VEC really terminate a contract in all fairness. Has this happened anywhere in the country?

I agree that second level schools should have stringent guidelines but further ed programmes are a different ball game.

I think I will chance opting out of registration.

I am in a VEC FE college. A couple of years ago existing teachers were given the option to register within a certain time, regardless of teaching qualifications. If you missed out on this then you would have to get the teaching qualification if you wished to reg later. After a certain date everyone had to be registered, including VEC FE teachers. Salaries will not be paid by the department if you are not registered.

If you were employed before the start date, and registered, you were then ok provided you kept up your registration. If you were employed after that date then you had to be compliant from your start.

• Advertisement

''Do we need the Teaching Council? Is €90 too much? Is the Teaching Council working for teachers? I will listen to, and represent you in a frank and honest manner. “Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.” Let’s change how we do things''.

From Stephen Marken's candidate profile.
    In view of the performance of the Teaching Council since it was established in March 2006 ...
    It sounds good to me!
    https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003491853912&sk=info

In fairness I circulated the profiles from both candidates in the Leinster constituency in school today and there was great interest in what might be a change from the status quo.

Those of you from the Dublin constituency needn't feel left out as Eimear Cole and Darragh O'Bradain appear have a view that the Teaching Council needs changing.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Eimear-Cole-Teaching-Council/361466263866660?sk=info

https://www.facebook.com/VoteDarraghForTheTC?sk=info

I have read through the rules and don't believe I have broken any rules by posting these.
    But if I have Moderators, apologies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Are ballots being posted directly to members homes or to schools?

They're posted to your home address.

Does anyone else find it a little odd that there are separate elections for men and women?

There are quotas for men and women.

yes its very oppressive - but it means that there is gender balance.

Usually gender quotas are to promote women but in the case of teaching it amounts to ensuring that men are represented - especially at primary level.

Experience and research shows as a matter of record and fact that the feminisation of a profession results in lesser pay !

A balance of males and females is a positive.

Please note

There is an error on the Identity Form that accompanies the Ballot Paper for the Teaching Council Elections.

At the bottom of the page it asks for Voter Signature,
    whereas it should read Witness Signature.

The TC has said that the mistake will not invalidate the ballot paper.
    But you can download a corrected Witness Form from the TC site.
    http://www.teachingcouncil.ie/latest-news/amended-declaration-of-identity-form.1203.html

Experience and research shows as a matter of record and fact that the feminisation of a profession results in lesser pay !

A balance of males and females is a positive.

Hmm so with more and more males becoming primary school teachers the pay rate should go up? GREAT, thanks :), What makes one sex better than the other anyway, I really don't think the pay rate 'was' that bad in the good old days despite the amount of female teachers!

Maybe a quota of Men/Women/Disabled/Transgender/Ethnic/Age/Rural/Urban/Religious/Athiest/Vegetarian.... would be a far more equitable system than just a balance of males and females....

Has anyone not received their ballot yet? I haven't gotten mine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

No, I haven't gotten anything yet, but they have managed to send me my registration renewal reminder a month in advance. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

I got my ballot paper over a week ago, so they have def been sent to some people (everyone in my school get them anyway)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Just a Quick question about the election. I am a post primary teacher in the Leinster area. As the male and female candidates are unopposed I am guessing I wont need to get any ballot papers. Is this correct or will there be a reopen nominations option on the ballot paper.

Yes you are correct

as those candidates are re elected unopposed

you won't be voting this time round.

Perhaps you are in a constituency where the number of candidates equals the number of seats.

In which case there will be no vote as they will be elected unopposed.

or

Perhaps they have been delivered to a previous address.

Perhaps you are in a constituency where the number of candidates equals the number of seats.

In which case there will be no vote as they will be elected unopposed.

or

Perhaps they have been delivered to a previous address.

Just had a look there and as an umeployed nqt I have no idea what constituency I would be in apart from Leinster. I'll give them a ring tomorrow.

Good luck with that. Hope you get to exercise your vote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Pat-ience

I think it is important to vote because every vote will count. The margins re information I saw elsewhere very tight.
    "At the last Teaching Council Election
    The results in Leinster were as follows.
    Primary (Leinster)
    Ballots issued 8393
    Ballot items returned 2501
    Invalid Ballot items returned 86
    Ballots opened 2415
    Candidate X 1180
    Candidate Y 1172
    Invalid Ballots 63
    Last time out "2352 of 8393 people eligible to vote did"
    and there were 8 votes between the candidates.

I am a registered teacher in the Leinster Area - i have received notice of my renewal of registration fees from the Teaching Council but nothing about the elections!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭2011abc

Same here -Not impressed ...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

In the same week, our school has received an allocation that is 3.5 teachers down on last year because of withdrawal of legacy posts.

I don't hear the TC shouting about that as they hoover up their 90 euros from newly qualified teachers who continue to be trained in ridiculously high numbers for a 'profession' with no jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

The TC has re-issued the ballot papers because of an error on the Declaration of Identity form. The other day they just issued a replacement by e-mail but apparently following legal advice they're sending them out again. Seem like an awful waste of money that could have been avoided if they had checked everything before it was sent out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭cmssjone

Received the following email today as I am sure many others have...

Please see the notice below which has been issued by the Council today, Friday 2 March 2012.

IMPORTANT NOTICE

The process for the election of teachers to the Teaching Council is underway. As part of this election process, on 17 February 2012 ballot materials were sent to all registered teachers eligible to vote in the constituencies where a poll must be held.

The Council regrets that an error was contained on the Declaration of Identity form which issued with the ballot papers.

Having taken legal advice, the Council decided at its extraordinary meeting on Friday, 2 March 2012, that it had no viable option other than to set aside the original ballot and to re-issue ballot materials to all registered teachers eligible to vote.

The Council is concerned to preserve the integrity of the election process at all stages so as to ensure members can be properly appointed to the next Council. The Council wishes to make it clear that, as required by the Teaching Council Acts, those members of the Council who are also candidates standing for election, withdrew from the Council’s discussion and did not participate in decisions on these matters.

The Council apologises sincerely for any inconvenience caused and as a matter of priority, the Council will review the election process when completed.

NEXT STEPS

1. Voters are requested to discard any ballot materials which they may have already received. The Council and the Returning Officer have decided to set aside the original ballot of teachers. Any ballot materials received by the Council in relation to the first ballot will be set aside.

2. Voters will shortly receive a fresh set of ballot materials and the Council urges Voters to complete these and return them to the Returning Officer so as to be received no later than 5pm on Tuesday, 20 March 2012.

3. In order to allow Voters adequate opportunity to submit their votes on time, the Returning Officer has extended the closing date for return of completed ballot papers to 5pm on Tuesday, 20 March 2012. The Returning Officer has also rescheduled the time and date for the commencement of the counting of the votes to 9am on Thursday, 22 March 2012. Counting of the votes will take place in Maynooth, Co. Kildare.

Well at least I know that my hard earned 90 Euros is going to a worthwhile cause...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭linguist

Absolute incompetence. The combined wisdom of our professional body now amounts to functional illiteracy. It is an utter embarrassment to think that it was beyond their ability to design a simple form and check it before it went out. They deserve to be hung out to dry over this fiasco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 b6nym2qojz1aet

This is a disgrace. Everyone, just take a minute and send them a mail asking how much the new ballots will cost as well as the "legal advice" they took...

Good idea.
    I will.
    Though
    I doubt if I will get a reply.
    This error is indicative
    of the ineptitude of the TC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 b6nym2qojz1aet

Agreed. And if just you and I did, we probably wouldn't get replies, or maybe a horrible generic, avoiding response. But if they get dozens of mails politely asking how much this will cost, since we're picking up the tab, something MIGHT come of it.

Phew I'm just glad my 90euros is actually being used for something! Rather than sitting in a pot for years waiting to be siphoned off..

I hope it gave the printing company and Legals some extra work (although they could have asked the Shinners to print it off for them Ooooo)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 littlerose2

Teaching Council members ought to have got their second lot of ballot papers by now.

Please note that you don't have too much time to vote this time round.

They have to be returned by 20th March.

It could be an opportunity (in some constituencies) to make a change.

Ballots closes on Tuesday 20th at five ...so post today :) (That is...if you are voting!)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Pjfogar

Almost a year now... Application receipt Aug 2011 AND STILL NO NUMBER.... The Teaching Council = A great bunch of lads.....!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement