Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Ballyfermot maybe :)
    labra park or bluebell.....we dont use nappies in ballyer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,533 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Tonight: 4 mile recovery run
    Bit of a struggle. I'm checking my plan every day now, to re-assure myself that taper is coming.
    Summary: 4 miles in 34 mins

Today: 7 miles with strides
    A growing stiffness from Tuesday's race, but two easy days should help that along nicely. Easy recovery run with 6 x strides thrown in. Thinking I may head down to the 5 mile race in Meath on Saturday, as the 1 mile race on Tuesday didn't really fit into the program's 8k - 15k tune-up race, but will see how the legs are repairing.

Summary: 7 miles in 56 mins, @7:40/mile, HR=126

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

This intrigues me. I'm not sure if this is typical shorter stuff pain, or if it was as a result of asthma + the conditions. Essentially, I had sharp pain in my esophagus (rather than my lungs) which I think was caused by lots of cold damp air forced rapidly into the airways, and the pain was after the race, not during the race. I've experienced this before, when doing intervals in winter. Is this a typical experience of short races, or brought on specifically by the conditions? <no medical advice sought, just wondering about the typical impact of shorter races>

I'd say it's typical for the distance. Did the exact same thing last year (mile race on a whim in the middle of marathon training) and afterwards it felt like I'd ripped my trachea open, no exaggeration. The feeling lasted for ages too.

Great time, well done.

cwgatling wrote: »
    I'd say it's typical for the distance. Did the exact same thing last year (mile race on a whim in the middle of marathon training) and afterwards it felt like I'd ripped my trachea open, no exaggeration. The feeling lasted for ages too.
    Great time, well done.
    That's great to know cwgatling. Not just me then. Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Has happened to me in the mile before alright and even more so in the 800 (county champs 14-15th of May, coming up for you next test ;)) I've always put it down to the rate you are taking (or trying) to take in air. Nothing that you really replicate in training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Has happened to me in the mile before alright and even more so in the 800 (county champs 14-15th of May, coming up for you next test ;)) I've always put it down to the rate you are taking (or trying) to take in air. Nothing that you really replicate in training.

Thats some of my memories of running track was almost the taste of blood after an 800m

Today: 6 mile recovery run
    I was going to post on another thread that I hardly ever remember running in the rain in recent months, but this recovery run erased the memory of all of that dry weather. It wasn't 'drops like big gobs of saliva' wet, just 'billions of tiny droplets everywhere' kind of wet. The kind of wet that doesn't make big puddles, but instead fills up your ear-canals. The kind that scurries into those little holes in your mp3 player. Not entirely welcome, but not entirely unpleasant either. A rain-massage.
    Summary: 6 miles in 47 mins, @7:59, HR=~119

Program called for an 8k-15k race today. I toyed with doing the 5k race tomorrow, or even just claiming that Tuesday's track race ticked the box, but inside I would've felt like I was cheating. Along came the Fr. Murphy AC 5 mile road race in Meath, and I even managed to coax the OH to come along and run too and it fit the bill perfectly. I'm not really a 5 mile man (10k races just seem a lot more meaningful) but any port in a storm and a storm it was. The weather on the way down was hellish. A down-pour that created large floods on the motorway, and we were tempted to hit the next off-ramp and turn back for home. But we convinced ourselves it would be better in Kildalkey, and would be perfect come race-time.

Registration was done in a flash and I headed out for a couple of warm-up miles with Mithril, Pronator and Abhainn. We spent most of the time admiring Abhainn's shiny shoes, that clearly allowed him to float over the large puddles during the race, as they were just as clean afterwards, while everything and everyone else was covered in a couple of layers of road dirt.

The plan was to break 28 minutes (and claim those pints that theRoadRunner promised to me back in December (it wasn't a time-bounded bet, was it?!)). I realized that I hadn't figured out what the appropriate target pace was, but reckoned somewhere around 5:35/mile should cover it.

The race kicked off, and as usual, the pace was far too sharp, but instead of dropping back to the nearest group, I picked up the pace and caught up with a couple of lads in front. The watch was showing 5:29/mile, but it felt comfortable so I figured it was fine. As we rounded the first corner and headed down the straight, the average pace was showing 5:39. From that point onwards, I decided to largely ignore the watch and stick with the current pace.

First two miles were comfortable, but after that the hard work started. I just haven't done enough work at this kind of pace to avoid having to grind out a result, but grind I did. Looking up, I could still see the large part of the leading pack after 2 miles, which was a bit of a shock. I made up one or two spots (not that I cared that much) but by 2.5 miles, I was working hard and begging for the finish line. One runner (Rory Mooney) constantly 2 feet away, provided a much needed target, so I bedded in behind him and he dragged me around, before pushing on at around 3.5 miles. The 4 mile marker gave me some small amount of hope, but by 4.5 I was dying a death (and blaming Tuesday's race on my tiredness, which was just an excuse). I didn't know if I could keep going, but finally, I saw a housing estate up ahead, which signaled a return to civilization, and hopefully, the finishing gantry. Entered the estate, and made out the time on the clock, which read 27:26, with around 120m and a couple of bends to go. For some reason I am magnetically attracted to finish-line clocks, so I picked up the pace to get better acquainted, and crossed the finish line in 27:44 (unofficial).

Watch measured the course short by 100m, but analyzing the route afterwards, I reckon the weather created problems with accuracy (or else the US is gearing up for war again, and has re-deployed some of their satellites!).

The usual arrival of phlegm from the very depths of Mordor left me doubled-over and dry heaving for a couple of mins, but I soon recovered enough to enjoy the new PB. Four minutes off my last 5 mile race, but it was in 2009, so it doesn't really count. :) Happy that I'm hitting the right notes in training and racing, and have definitely jumped a level from my Chicago build-up. Is it enough? Who knows, but I'm certainly giving myself a decent chance and picking up lots of PBs along the way.

Race: 5 miles in 27:44, @5:36/mile, HR=170 (Max=178), TE=4.3

Total: 10.6 Miles for the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Great stuff Krusty, the same thing happened me in Raheny when I rounded a corner and the av pace sudddenly dropped by 15sec/mile. My watch ended up measuring the course short but the GPS Line showed me flying over a Row of houses instead of running around said corner. We need to learn to trust the Jones counter more than our Garmins, besides I alway find I run a better race when I run by feel rather than by watch...

• Advertisement

Well done on the pb today mice running. Think you need to get onto your mates @ garmin as there was strange stuff going on today, any info on electrical storms and gps issue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Good man great running. I'll buy you those pints next time I see you. Hopefully it's a Thursday night in my local as they have 3 euro pints for pensioners ;)

Seriously well done expecting a nice pb in Boston.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Great running racing just stick to plan now and stay on top of any niggles and Boston will be a breeze - any readjusted targets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Great run Krusty....really good stuff.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Any readjusted targets?
    Nah. Still foolish enough to stick with my original target. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

super running krusty. You gave Father Time a wedgie once again. Great stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭wideball

Super running this week, two great PBs. Love the reports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

Well done yesterday. We have had a few complaints from residents along the course complaining about a mad runner vaulting over their ditches/fences in an attempt to go as the crow flies. Wasn't you by any chance?

Well done yesterday. We have had a few complaints from residents along the course complaining about a mad runner vaulting over their ditches/fences in an attempt to go as the crow flies. Wasn't you by any chance?
    Nah, I was the one in the Sli Cualann bib, driving the Massey across the ditches. I was sorry we didn't manage to get another pillager for our flat-lands raiding party. We would have had a decent shot. Of course we'd have to spell the name of the club right (three different spellings on the results sheet. :)).

• Advertisement

Today: 20 mile medium long run
    Should have checked the weather forecast before deciding to join the family in town, via a 20 mile coast run. Beautiful day, but for a fresh breeze along the coast. Should have run in the opposite direction, with Killiney Hill (the only blip along my otherwise pancake flat run) towards the end of the run. But it was nice to meet up with the family after their 5k MSB race, and grab some recovery protein and carbs (and a wonderful glass of beer :D) after all of our respective runs. Ran without water/gels, so had worked up a hefty thirst/appetite by the time I finished. It's been another tough training week, with 84+ miles. Just one more 80 mile week, then taper.

Summary: 20 miles in 2:24, @7:11/mile, HR=~135, TE=2.9

You're some man for the punishment KC. Don't know how you ran a quality 20 miler the day after a 5 mile PB.

You're some man for the punishment KC. Don't know how you ran a quality 20 miler the day after a 5 mile PB.
    Well, it is in the schedule (give or take a mile or two). The few beers I'd promised myself afterwards helped with the motivation!

Today: 10 mile recovery run
    Decided to get it over with in one push, rather than splitting it into a double, so I could chill for the evening. Followed up with 30 minutes of core, weights and foam roller. Body feeling a little more limber, but my knee isn't as bendy as it should be (that's a professional medical diagnosis right there).

Summary: 10 miles in 1:20, @8:03/mile, HR=~119

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Strong run on Sat KC. Did similar to you Sunday morning and turned out to be a very solid weekend for both of us.
    Your in the best shape. Nearly there

Today: 9 mile aerobic slow run
    Had to jump on a work conference call at mid-night last night (this morning?) for 90 minutes and slept crap afterwards, but the one consolation was I got to take an hour off this morning (some consolation!). But I was delighted to have that hour to head off to towards Bray head on the coastal path. Weather was incredible, and the scenery mesmerizing. No sign of the dolphins, but that would have been sensory overload territory. Body is in a complete shambles. It refuses to believe that it was running 4:57-5:37 miles last week, and has resigned itself to finding 8 minute miles a struggle. Hoping for a miraculous cure (apple cider vinegar?) for tomorrow's 6x1k @5k pace intervals. Last week, before taper.. Last week, before taper.. Last week, before taper..Last week, before taper..

Today: 9 miles in 1:08, @7:39/mile, HR=130 (:eek: need sleep!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Krusty...a really random question for you - do you wear two pairs of socks or one when running?

• Advertisement

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Krusty...a really random question for you - do you wear two pairs of socks or one when running?
    That is a little unusual. Eh.. Just the one pair for me. One on each foot, if that helps?!

Dory Dory wrote: »

not too sure but he wears women's shorts and underwear (night time runs only though)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

not too sure but he wears women's shorts and underwear (night time runs only though)

...and he wears those $$$ oakleys on his head at night, and extends his arms and makes "brrrmmmmm" aeroplane noises running downhills.

Haha. This abuse from the boxer-short bandit, and the hardy-hill runner turned Armani smock wearer?

Today: 11 miles including 6 x 1k @5K pace
    Ugh. I thought I'd find this session a little easier, given that I ran a mile significantly faster last week, and ran 5 miles just a little bit slower a few days ago, but it seems that there are no easy rides in marathon training. Three mile warm-up with work buddy, before the lucky fecker got to turn back and enjoy the easy jog back to work. A quick bit of stretching, and I launched into the first interval. It went surprisingly well, finishing @5:20 pace, with an average HR of 153. Tidy! Turned around and ran the second one back the way I had come. Light headwind, maybe 3 or 4 m/s, made all the difference. You wouldn't even notice the breeze at marathon pace, but at '5k' pace, it's enough to tip the balance and make it hard work. So the odd intervals were comfortable (relatively speaking) and the even numbered intervals were quite tough.

Intervals: 3:21/3:23/3:21/3:22/3:22/3:23
    Pace: 5:20/5:23/5:21/5:22/5:21/5:23
    HR(ave):153/161/159/164/162/165
    Recovery: 2:20 easy jog (70% of interval time).

In contrast to the last 1200m intervals, the jog back was uneventful (no stopping for a lie-down!). Comparing this session to the last time I ran it (also had some wind) I seem to have managed much better this time, so some positives to take out of it.

Summary: 11 miles in 1:16, @6:52/mile, HR=148, TE=3.7

• Advertisement

Had spotted your work buddy on his way back today and expected to see you flying around somewhere.

shels4ever wrote: »
    Had spotted your work buddy on his way back today and expected to see you flying around somewhere.
    Ahh yes. A return to the innocent days of 6 mile easy runs. When a stretch had more in common with a yawn, my pint glass was used for something more meaningful, and dinner didn't have to contain potatoes, rice, pasta or couscous. 1pm on the 16th of April; avert thine eyes lord, retribution shall be most unholy.

Ahh yes. A return to the innocent days of 6 mile easy runs. When a stretch had more in common with a yawn, my pint glass was used for something more meaningful, and dinner didn't have to contain potatoes, rice, pasta or couscous. 1pm on the 16th of April; avert thine eyes lord, retribution shall be most unholy.

God man you need a beer.... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

It seems you are in great shape KC, are you pleased with this marathon campaign compared to previous ones?

It seems you are in great shape KC, are you pleased with this marathon campaign compared to previous ones?

He will tell you at 11.52 am (EDT) on April 16th ;)

Hi Jackyback, it's hard to compare previous marathons, as for each marathon, my mileage, intensity and levels of commitment have gone up. I ran my first marathon on less than 40 miles per week, and for every subsequent outing, the mileage has gone up by about 10 miles per week.

Some comparison with my last marathon is valid though, as the target was the same (but mileage has gone from 75mpw -> 85mpw). When I picked the 2:42 target last year, it was just an arbitrary number that I was working towards. I got lots of PBs on the road to the marathon, but they weren't the kind of achievements that suggested I was in the right kind of form for my marathon goal. Despite serious doubts, I stuck with the target anyway, as I'm quite pig-headed, and not one to settle, even if it means failure. I reckon if I'd been less greedy stupid stubborn, I might have finished around 2:45, but it just didn't seem like a good return for a couple of thousand miles and months of hard training.

This time around, things are a little different. I didn't take much of a break from my last marathon plan, so I was starting from a good base. I've been doing three core and weights sessions per week and I reckon that has helped me massively, particularly with keeping good form over the increased mileage (less prone to injury). Then of course there's the 85 miles per week. The PBs are good (everything from 1 mile to 50k!) but they still suggest I'm a little shy of my target (except for my 5 mile time, but I reckon that it's a bit flattering). So while I still have a healthy level of doubt, I'm a lot more optimistic than I was the last time out. I've put in some solid work; with a bit of luck, I'll get close to my goal.

Actually, I prefer TheRoadRunner's answer: I'll tell you at 12:42am (EDT) on Patriot's day!

Actually, I prefer TheRoadRunner's answer: I'll tell you at 12:42am (EDT) on Patriot's day!

Does the race not start at 9.10 am (EDT) or maybe we have uncovered KC's new target time ;)

Does the race not start at 9.10 am (EDT) or maybe we have uncovered KC's new target time ;)
    9:10am to 12:42am = 3:32. That's do-able. What's the wager? :)

If I have my facts right, at 9:10am, those of us in Wave 1 will be escorted from the 'Athletes village' (oh-oh, feelings of elitist grandeur:))) to the start line, for a kick-off at 10am. I'll try and finish up for 11:52am, but I'll need a strong tail-wind.

9:10am to 12:42am = 3:32. That's do-able. What's the wager? :)

If I have my facts right, at 9:10am, those of us in Wave 1 will be escorted from the 'Athletes village' (oh-oh, feelings of elitist grandeur:))) to the start line, for a kick-off at 10am. I'll try and finish up for 11:52am, but I'll need a strong tail-wind.

Yes thought it was a bit weird that different corrals were starting at different times. That makes more sense. Sure you'll have an idea by 11.52 am if you're on for 2.39 or not ;)

Today: The final 15 mile mid-week run!
    Delighted to head off on the last mid-week 15 miler, as I generally have to work later to catch-up on the missing time and work. But if I could bottle today's run, I would keep it in a fridge and only take it out every once in a while, just to hold it against the light and admire it. Beautiful conditions out there. A light head-wind on the way out to Dodder Valley Park, then the sun broke out and had amazing weather on the way back. Pace picked up on the way back, and despite best efforts, couldn't slow down. Felt like a running machine; food goes in, miles come out. Ahh... for more days like this... Bliss.

Summary: 15 miles in 1:40, @6:44/mile, HR=141

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭Peckham

That's the sort of feeling one should have in week one of training, not the final week before taper. This week is all about resentment, doubt and general grumpiness! ;-)

Peckham wrote: »
    That's the sort of feeling one should have in week one of training, not the final week before taper. This week is all about resentment, doubt and general grumpiness! ;-)
    Yeah, dunno what happened. Last few days the legs and body have been knackered. Maybe I just recovered from the two races last week. Maybe it was the idea of my last 15 mile run. Maybe it was the powdered Panda horn I put into my porridge this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭aigster

Peckham wrote: »
    Yeah, dunno what happened. Last few days the legs and body have been knackered. Maybe I just recovered from the two races last week. Maybe it was the idea of my last 15 mile run. Maybe it was the powdered Panda horn I put into my porridge this morning.

great running, lots of work done... Enjoy the taper!!...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

Pace picked up on the way back, and despite best efforts, couldn't slow down. Felt like a running machine; food goes in, miles come out. Ahh... for more days like this... Bliss.

Oh for those days. It's a wonderful feeling and a great sign for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Krusty, just something i didnt consider re. the session i suggested.

I was very well rested before that (5-6 days very easy). Youre on a high volume now and the session is too demanding 3 weeks out especially in the context of running Conn at M pace.

Id suggest running the first 9 at Easy pace. 7:10-20 miles or whatever feels controlled and easy. The last 2 miles could also be done at Race pace rather than harder. Doing it harder will give you a recovery problem that you dont need into the last 3 weeks.

You dont need a big whack to your fitness now, just another controlled push that fits into the context of the surrounding training weeks. i.e keep surfing the wave youre on.

Im thinking of toning my Sunday run down also even though im quite well rested for it.

T runner wrote: »
    the session is too demanding 3 weeks out
    Yep, that makes sense. Will soften it up around the edges. Thanks.

Today: 10 mile easy run
    Easy run in the park, first 5 miles with work buddy followed by another loop on my own. Legs are back to normal (tired!).
    Summary: 10 Miles in 1:17, @7:39/mile, HR=~128

Evening: 45 mins core workout + weights.
    Jaysus, weekends ain't what they used to be. Hope these sacrifices have a pay-off. :)

The sacrifices will payoff for you, no worries. But you're up way past your pre-marathon bedtime! ;)

The sacrifices will payoff for you, no worries. But you're up way past your pre-marathon bedtime! ;)

• Advertisement

Advertisement