Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

re mapping / chipping of a car

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

This is getting a tad confusing.

Tis

an only be seen as Non Disclosure if the premium would have been effected by 40% or more though.

Apologies if I led you or the OP to believe power. :/

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Got it now :D

The poster who upped power by 25% but got hit with a 50% premium increase could have had a claim refused then, had they not disclosed.

Got it now :D

The poster who upped power by 25% but got hit with a 50% premium increase could have had a claim refused then, had they not disclosed.

Bingo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭obi604

MugMugs wrote: »
    Bingo

Im still confused on this.
    So if I upped my power by for example 20 BHP, this maybe would increase my premium by 30% IF I told them

BUT if I ddint tell the insurance company about this extra power and had an accident, I could still make a valid claim as the premium increase would have only been 30% greater ( i.e under 40% )

is the above correct ?

obi604 wrote: »
    Im still confused on this.
    So if I upped my power by for example 20 BHP, this maybe would increase my premium by 30% IF I told them

BUT if I ddint tell the insurance company about this extra power and had an accident, I could still make a valid claim as the premium increase would have only been 30% greater ( i.e under 40% )

is the above correct ?

Just to be clear, I wouldnt endorse that.

But yes. They would take the Additional premium and honour the claim.

Be very wary though.

Insurers have clauses in policies that state " We can cancel your policy and reutrn any premium outstanding without giving you a reason..... etc etc "

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Sc@recrow wrote: »
    They can't tell...but they can get the car dealer/manufacturer to check and they can tell whether it's been remapped or not.
    You're up shít's creek then if the report comes back positive.
    Insurance companies know which car models tend to get remapped/chipped etc so they will get these tested.

On that issue:
    When I bought my CMax (a used '06) it took off like a scalded cat, that led to the pipe between the turbo and inlet manifold blowing.
    At first I didn't know that, I only got a warning light, Ford initially re-loaded the system software before the fault was discovered and fixed.
    After the engine software was reloaded, I noticed my car was definitely more sedate in pace.
    My theory: it was remapped until Ford reset it.
    I didn't know that, as I wasn't made aware either way.
    What happens if I had had an accident and my insurance company had found out it was remapped?
    It's hardly my fault, since I declared all the facts as far as I was aware of them, surely I can't be blamed?
    This does, of course, effect everyone else who unwittingly buys a second hand car that has been remapped without them knowing.
    I'm in the clear now, but what if...?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

On that issue:
    When I bought my CMax (a used '06) it took off like a scalded cat, that led to the pipe between the turbo and inlet manifold blowing.
    At first I didn't know that, I only got a warning light, Ford initially re-loaded the system software before the fault was discovered and fixed.
    After the engine software was reloaded, I noticed my car was definitely more sedate in pace.
    My theory: it was remapped until Ford reset it.
    I didn't know that, as I wasn't made aware either way.
    What happens if I had had an accident and my insurance company had found out it was remapped?
    It's hardly my fault, since I declared all the facts as far as I was aware of them, surely I can't be blamed?
    This does, of course, effect everyone else who unwittingly buys a second hand car that has been remapped without them knowing.
    I'm in the clear now, but what if...?

Maybe the date of the remap is stored in the ECU? Only a guess.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

i see you are contemplating re-mapping a gti yourself

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

dharn wrote: »
    i see you are contemplating re-mapping a gti yourself

I am, what of it?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement

Maybe the date of the remap is stored in the ECU? Only a guess.

Well, I'm guessing myself, but it's an idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

Just to clarify a few bits! chipping and remapping are the same thing, chipping is done to older cars where the memory chip has to be removed to be overwritten. Modern cars can be mapped in place but they both do identical things :cool:

A file is never dated, you can have 14 on the average ecu but obviously this varies from memory to memory but for someone who knows a map is super super easy to spot. I could take your car provided its an ecu i use and tell you if its mapped in about 5 mins, its not untraceable!

when you open an edited file and find a map you will clearly see it shows the original too :) very easy to see this was edited!

greenpeacetuning.jpg

Im being super low tech here but you can see this is an egr file that is modded badly!!!! the changed settings are green and the lilac is where it originally started

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

what happens if you bought the car not knowing it had been re mapped by the previous owner, what would it cost to re map a 01 renault megane 1.9dti?

rex-x wrote: »
    when you open an edited file and find a map you will clearly see it shows the original too :) very easy to see this was edited!
    http://www.chiptuners.org/forums/download/file.php?id=1249

Blank page, access denied.:)

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

what happens if you bought the car not knowing it had been re mapped by the previous owner, what would it cost to re map a 01 renault megane 1.9dti?
    That statement is so obvious that your planning to remap your car and deny all knowledge of it!!

Blank page, access denied.:)
    sorry, i direct linked it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

rex-x wrote: »
    sorry, i direct linked it

what are the x, y and z axis showing?? The Y numbers look to be RPM but it's for a diesel?

Its only a random map i picked so i cant be sure, but usually x axis is rpm, zaxis is % of accelerator and y is amount of air but axis vary wildly and its up to a tuner to figure out which does what.

Advertisement