Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Knuckle - RTE Sunday

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

obi604 wrote: »
    So if there was a bare knuckle fight out in a wood or a car park or whatever

And the competitors were

James Quinn McDonagh V David Hay
    Who would win
    It may be a stupid question and David Haye is probably a bit extreme but just putting it out there

I know Haye is a professional and all but could he take a punch as well with bare knuckle and no gloves. Like James is well used to taking hits

no great admirer of Haye and think his professional boxing ability is poor but he would take any of these guys out in seconds. in fact he would probably take out a dozen of them,1 at a time in a sparring session.
    thats the difference in levels here.
    these guys fight bare knuckle for a reason, absolutely useless at anything else. doubt if they could even keep hands upright for a full 3 mins wearing professional heavyweight gloves.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

It's the criminality and bleeding the country dry of social welfare that I have a problem with.
    Always wondered about comments like that. According to the 2006 consensus there are 22,369 travellers living in Ireland. Even if they were all on benefit, there are plenty more of the settled community bleeding the state dry of benefits.

That said, Travellers really don't do themselves any favours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Always wondered about comments like that. According to the 2006 consensus there are 22,369 travellers living in Ireland. Even if they were all on benefit, there are plenty more of the settled community bleeding the state dry of benefits.

Last figure I saw was that 60-70% of Traveller men were on social welfare.. but if you can find a more up to date figure, I'm willing to accept it..

With regard to the injuries, it's a bit rich to keep all that money from the fight and then bring their broken fighters to the A&E and expect the State to pick up the tab..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭frser32

anyone else notice Paddy Doherty at the end?:D!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

Even if they were all on benefit, there are plenty more of the settled community bleeding the state dry of benefits.

Benefits are supposed to be for people who are either looking for work, unable for work due to health reasons or educating themselves. That fundamental rule should apply to everyone regardless of their identity. The existence of even one unemployed non-Traveller has absolutely nothing to do with changing that fundamental principle and that principle and especially it's enforcement should apply to all sections of society equally.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

obi604 wrote: »

I know Haye is a professional and all but could he take a punch as well with bare knuckle and no gloves. Like James is well used to taking hits

Gloves have enabled boxers to punch even harder than before and for longer. The question for me is what condition are hands in which continuously fight bare knuckle. Do those hands see as much action or are there more ''quiet moments'' during a bare knuckle fight ?

psychward wrote: »
    Gloves have enabled boxers to punch even harder than before and for longer. The question for me is what condition are hands in which continuously fight bare knuckle. Do those hands see as much action or are there more ''quiet moments'' during a bare knuckle fight ?

I think the medical term for it would be "fúcked".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

frser32 wrote: »
    anyone else notice Paddy Doherty at the end?:D!
    You mean Paddy"i just ate a few of my sons guts of the mortuary table to always have some of him inside me"Doherty,yep that was him,another undefeated "king of the travellers".Haye in about 2 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I saw this a while back and enjoyed it, Joe Joyce is hilarious, he's like a real life WWE character, its funny him talking about men not knowing how to fight when himself is just swinging big haymakers, a trained boxer would wade through any of them not a bother, these are guys who are having street brawls not boxing matches.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

I reckon Haye(or even a top 10 fighter) would destroy any of them.

Just because a heavyweight uses gloves doesn't mean they are made of glass. They would be able to literally dance around any traveler and just pick them off till an opening appeared and he'd unload on him.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

Sorry guys I haven't gone through the whole thread, is this on RTE player ?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,639 ✭✭✭brian_t

jcf wrote: »
    Sorry guys I haven't gone through the whole thread, is this on RTE player ?

thanks

Link on page 17. #245

Last figure I saw was that 60-70% of Traveller men were on social welfare.. but if you can find a more up to date figure, I'm willing to accept it..

Tbh, I'd say the figure is probably higher, but the point that I was making was that even if half the population of travellers (11K) was claiming the dole it's hardly the sole reason why the welfare system is in tatters. There are many many more settled people that have been bumming it on the dole for most of their lives.

With regard to the injuries, it's a bit rich to keep all that money from the fight and then bring their broken fighters to the A&E and expect the State to pick up the tab..
    I agree with you 100%
    The biggest problem is their obvious tax avoidance, which is something that could easily proven.

psychward wrote: »
    Benefits are supposed to be for people who are either looking for work, unable for work due to health reasons or educating themselves. That fundamental rule should apply to everyone regardless of their identity. The existence of even one unemployed non-Traveller has absolutely nothing to do with changing that fundamental principle and that principle and especially it's enforcement should apply to all sections of society equally.
    I agree, but you can't blame the travellers alone for bringing the system down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

Tbh, I'd say the figure is probably higher, but the point that I was making was that even if half the population of travellers (11K) was claiming the dole it's hardly the sole reason why the welfare system is in tatters.

you're assuming each traveller only claims dole once, but it emerged last year that there's over 7 million PPS numbers in circulation. Also, travellers have a lot of sprogs, which means a lot of extra benefits per sprog. Throw into the pot the amount of money it costs to clean up after travellers, erect barriers to keep them out of places, court battles to evict them, or build sites exclusively for them then it's serious money - and it all comes from tax payers. According to wikipedia Pavee Point is also funded by us to the tune of over 1.5 million.

you're assuming each traveller only claims dole once, but it emerged last year that there's over 7 million PPS numbers in circulation.
    Is it possible to claim more than once? I've heard anecdotal stories but has it ever been proven to be widespread?

Also, travellers have a lot of sprogs, which means a lot of extra benefits per sprog. Throw into the pot the amount of money it costs to clean up after travellers, erect barriers to keep them out of places, court battles to evict them, or build sites exclusively for them then it's serious money - and it all comes from tax payers. According to wikipedia Pavee Point is also funded by us to the tune of over 1.5 million.
    You could lay a lot of those accusations to a lot of settled people too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭chordtype

Travellers. I knew it was them. Even when it was the Immigants.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

You could lay a lot of those accusations to a lot of settled people too.

yep ! they're all as bad as each other really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Boxfresh

Check this out for a giggle...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Why was Quinn shot?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭obi604

Why was Quinn shot?

That's what I want to know too !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,639 ✭✭✭brian_t

Why was Quinn shot?

When he was interviewed he refused to say except that it was not connected with the feuds. I doubt if the man that shot him is going to come forth with an explanation or confession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

brian_t wrote: »
    When he was interviewed he refused to say except that it was not connected with the feuds. I doubt if the man that shot him is going to come forth with an explanation or confession.
    Someone made a dark hint a few ages back at the reason why

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 roadstone

Someone made a dark hint a few ages back at the reason why
    it was not one thing to do with fighing he was doing other things he should not be doing that is why he was shot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 roadstone

MungBean wrote: »
    I think the shooting in which that girl died recently is linked to the feud between some of the families in the documentary. Rumour is that it wasnt just aired for entertainment value.
    not one thing got to do with it

Watched it during the week and found it rather mediocre. Considering that it was shot over 12 years I expected so much more, there was some interesting footage and characters but it really went nowhere. The voice over was particularly poor, it felt like a desperate attempt by the director to add some gravitas to proceedings but came across poorly.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Gotya

ahhhhh i'm mad to know why he was shot now and its because of this post-
    19-02-2012, 20:18 #5
    Dohnny Jepp

"You wouldn't if you knew why he was shot"

Dohnny Jepp, do tell........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Dipping his hands in petrol for 20mins everyday, and he's a smoker too, doesnt add up. You can tell hes just trying to sound badass when he says it.
    The videos are cringeworthy, how that man became a leader is a mystery.
    Also petrol would destroy your skin, you'd prob be able to see your knuckles when the skin cracks off eventually

• Registered Users Posts: 20,856 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Watched it last week, decent show...bunch of thick ignorant F**ers really, seriously...

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Park Royal

If thats their standard of boxing or bare knuckle boxing, may I humbly

suggest they take up a different "speciality" as the examples shown were

very unimpressive....... to be honest they were sad examples if thats

what their proud of.......but then again each to their own......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,856 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Park Royal wrote: »
    If thats their standard of boxing or bare knuckle boxing, may I humbly

suggest they take up a different "speciality" as the examples shown were

very unimpressive....... to be honest they were sad examples if thats

what their proud of.......but then again each to their own......
    Proud of being thick by the looks of it

Advertisement