Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

SHC

Coill Dubh 2-7 Confey 0-11
    Éire Óg CC 3-19 Leixlip 0-7
    Ardclough 0-16 Maynooth 0-8
    Clane 3-10 Naas 1-13

Kildare (v Monaghan)

1. Mark Donnellan (Maynooth)
    2. Ciarán Fitzpatrick (Kilcock)
    3. Mick Foley (Athy)
    4. Mick O’Grady (Celbridge)
    5. Ollie Lyons (Celbridge)
    6. Fergal Conway (Celbridge)
    7. Keith Cribbin (Johnstownbridge)
    8. Tommy Moolick (Leixlip)
    9. Pádraig O’Neill (St. Laurences)
    10. Cathal McNally (Johnstownbridge)
    11. Niall Kelly (Athy)
    12. Éamonn Callaghan (Naas)
    13. Alan Smith (Sarsfields)
    14. Tomás O’Connor (Clane)
    15. Eoghan O’Flaherty (Carbury)

Some big surprises in that team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

Not liking that team at all. Dropping Bolton is madness, if anything he should be wing back in Cribbin's place.

I think Lyons will have to pick up McManus, he's the tightest marker we have and doesn't concede too many fees.

I feel we maybe playing into Monaghan and Wylie's hands by playing O'Connor. Brophy would give him a lot more to think about. The O'Connor thing will never work in my opinion, it's all too predictable. We don't have the know how in our team to use him properly. Much better option off the bench.

Difficult game to call. If I was pushed I'd say Monaghan will have too much for us.

Edit: Bolton injured, apparently.

It has been a long while since Bolton has put two good performances back to back for Kildare. I think Keith Cribbin gets a bit of a raw deal from supporters. He has been one of our better players this summer and appears to have worked on his tendency to run down blind alleys.

I agree on O'Connor. Great option off the bench but I would prefer to see Fogarty, Brophy or Mulhall starting in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

If that team lines up as it is there then the big worry would be the full back line. They each would need to be on top form. I don't mind Ollie Lyons in the half back line it probably is his best position.
    I really like Niall Kelly as a player and he has massive potential but with Monaghan's hard hitting and his inconsistent form I would have favoured springing him from the bench. Mulhall has been back playing club football and is obviously fit so hopefully he is on the panel at the very least. If Brophy is fully fit he should start too.

• Advertisement

O'Grady played mostly in front of the full back line against Clare so you would expect him and Lyons to switch. Lyons is the obvious man to mark McManus.

He has made changes from the named team a few times this year so it would be no surprise to see a switch or two on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Looks to have gone back to the drawing board in the forward line with four out of six players who have been in there a long time and not gotten over the line in big games.

A bit disappointing since one of the things I was most interested in was how Ryan would develop the rafts of underage attacking talent in Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

keane2097 wrote: »
    A bit disappointing since one of the things I was most interested in was how Ryan would develop the rafts of underage attacking talent in Kildare.

In fairness they had their chance the last day, it took O'Connor, Flaherty, Leper, Ollie Lyons etc to pull us out of the fire. The likes of Niall Kelly and Fogarty just weren't performing unfortunately

Brophy, Hurley and particularly Conway stood up in the last 15 minutes against Clare too to be fair.

People are probably expecting a little bit too much from some of these young players. They are very inexperienced at this level and it's not as if they are emerging onto a team that is packed full of natural leaders either. Kildare are well capable of this winning tomorrow but it's going to take a while for this group to develop the consistency that is needed to be competitive against the top 5 or 6 teams in the land.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

of anyone has a link to the game could you pm it to me please. in Canada and no sky sports here.

• Advertisement

Can't help but feel we threw that game away. Too many missed chances proved to be crucial in the end.

Another epic encounter and yet again Kildare come out on the wrong side.

Desperately disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

Ya know im not to disappointed with kildare after yesterday they went into that game as big under dogs and came out out it with there heads up high.
    we were poor all season and management has a lot to answer for but there is hope there we were only bet by two points which is great and we played our hearts out there will be a confident that will come out of this. If would be terrible if we played the dubs next and got roasted by 14 points..
    roll on the o byrne cup again and what johnnie locan sang whats another year..

Nib wrote: »
    Can't help but feel we threw that game away. Too many missed chances proved to be crucial in the end.

Another epic encounter and yet again Kildare come out on the wrong side.

Desperately disappointing.

What we could have done for Mulhall on the field at the end to kick those frees. I don't think Mr Coldrick did us any favours at all but we had enough of the ball to win that game.

At least the team went down fighting which is all you can ask for.

With the emergence of a few more players and the continued development of rookies like Moolick, Kelly, Conway, Doyle, Fogarty and Brophy we can hope to get back to a high level within a few years.

Positives from the year:

- The emergence of Moolick, Conway, Fitzpatrick, O'Grady, Mulhall, Donnellan and Fogarty. I know a few of those have been knocking around the panel for a few years but 2014 was the first time that they made a big impact.
    - Defensive improvements as the championship progressed. Conway looks like he can fill the centre back position which has been problematic for the best part of a decade. Fitzpatrick is a defender of real substance. O'Grady and Hyland have shown promise and Keith Cribbin is improving.

You'd think this panel should be well able for Division 2 football next winter. We need to develop a stronger settled spine. I would like to see an injury free Paul Cribbin at centre forward. Conway and Moolick are two definites for me in that middle diamond. The other midfield jersey looks up for grabs. O'Neill has been a brilliant player for Kildare but he isn't really a midfielder. We could have really done with Daniel Flynn or Kevin Feely sticking around. If we can get them key positions right we should progress further. All those players are only 22 this year so they should improve with further senior experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

Ya know im not to disappointed with kildare after yesterday they went into that game as big under dogs and came out out it with there heads up high.
    we were poor all season and management has a lot to answer for but there is hope there we were only bet by two points which is great and we played our hearts out there will be a confident that will come out of this. If would be terrible if we played the dubs next and got roasted by 14 points..
    roll on the o byrne cup again and what johnnie locan sang whats another year..

Kildare minor team v Kerry 4/8/14:

1. Tadhg Foley-Athy
    2. Sean Healy- Moorefield
    3. Mark Hyland-Athy
    4. Alan Scully-Sarsfields
    5. Jamie Flynn-Round Towers
    6. Paul Mescal-Maynooth (Capt)
    7. Conor Earley-Raheens
    8. Rory Feely-Athy
    9. Con Kavanagh-Sarsfields
    10. Evan Flynn-Round Towers
    11. Conor Hartley-Sarsfields
    12. Stefan Lawlor-Rathangan
    13. Ben McCormack-Sarsfields
    14. Sean Dempsey-Sarsfields
    15. Michael Kelly-Athy

Surprised to see Eoghan Boyle not starting, he did well enough against Dublin. Kerry are strong favourites but hopefully they can pull off an upset.

Kerry are 1/6 to win.

Kerry seem to be backboned by the Corca Duibhne team who won the Hogan Cup so they should be very strong. I wasn't at the Leinster Final but I believe Kildare feel they didn't really do themselves justice on the day. Here's hoping for a big display tomorrow. There are some handy players in that starting 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Royce McCutcheon

Just saw the incident if with Nially Kelly and Hughes on the Sunday Game, shows a complete lack of class and respect for a fellow player.Going into extra time there should be only one thing on your mind and I dont think pulling a young and much smaller guys hair and throwing a football at him twice is it. Just left a bitter taste in my mouth after a game which I thought was played as fairly as any 2 teams could have in such poor conditions.

Just saw the incident if with Nially Kelly and Hughes on the Sunday Game, shows a complete lack of class and respect for a fellow player.Going into extra time there should be only one thing on your mind and I dont think pulling a young and much smaller guys hair and throwing a football at him twice is it. Just left a bitter taste in my mouth after a game which I thought was played as fairly as any 2 teams could have in such poor conditions.

Not to mention his attempt to decapitate Keith Cribbin near the end of the first half or the elbow which left Eoghan O'Flaherty bleeding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Hard to believe Niall Kelly didn't react, but then again, the ref was looking right at them, so you would figure that he saw what was going on....

Kelly deserves credit for not reacting to that sort of carry on. Pulling a player's hair is such a ridiculously childish thing to do on a football field. He was clearly hoping that Kelly would react in full view of the referee.

Kildare minors well beaten by Kerry. 2-15 to 1-8.

Horrible weekend for Kildare football.

Yeah well beat. The heads seemed to drop after Feely's shot was tipped onto the bar in the first half. Kerry just a class above our cubs.

Bryan Murphy appointed Kildare u21 football manager for the next three years.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭full_irish

Not sure if already posted, but paddy brophy is off to Australia as he's selected for AFL trials after impressing at the London training camp. Great news for the lad, and best of luck to him- I hope it works out for him, however he'll be a big loss for Kildare.

He has only been invited to the draft. No guarantee he will be offered a contract. Hurley was invited to it last year.

Only him and Connor McKenna called up from Ireland. I'd imagine the likelihood of him being offered a contract will be high. Luke Flynn was also linked to Port Adelaide but there might not have been much truth to it.

Check your inbox there Frankie.

• Advertisement

League finals this weekend.

Hard to see Celbridge troubling Athy. Athy hammered them last week in the final league game. Athy really do have an embarrassment of riches at the moment.

Division 2 final is Kilcock v Allenwood - Hard one to call, I'll give a hesitant vote to Kilcock.

Division 3 final is on hold due to an appeal of a 3 point deduction by Kilcullen. Nurney will play Kilcullen or Suncroft pending the outcome of that appeal.

Advertisement