Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Not the only one man :( Felt mad as hell after the game yesterday :~(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I am so down about this "team"...

I know what you mean, no 'team spirit' at all now. There must be something rotten going on behind closed doors that we don't know about. We haven't got a great squad, but they are capable of an awful lot better than what they've been serving up recently.

I'm beginning to think the reason why the club shows such short sightedness in relation to profit margins (ie: save money now, lose out on long term Champion's League revenue, not to mention probable decline in fan attendances) is that the current owners are planning on selling the club and as such want to make as much money as possible right now before buggering off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Galvasean wrote: »
    I am so down about this "team"...

I know what you mean, no 'team spirit' at all now. There must be something rotten going on behind closed doors that we don't know about. We haven't got a great squad, but they are capable of an awful lot better than what they've been serving up recently.

I'm beginning to think the reason why the club shows such short sightedness in relation to profit margins (ie: save money now, lose out on long term Champion's League revenue, not to mention probable decline in fan attendances) is that the current owners are planning on selling the club and as such want to make as much money as possible right now before buggering off.

If stan sells now after doing nothing an attending one league game he will make 165 million

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

A lot of people are blaming Wenger for not motivating the players but really, most are getting paid between £50,000 and £100,000 PER WEEK! Surely that should be enough to motivate players to look like they give a fcuk?

If I was getting paid even £2,000 a week I'd be killing myself every week to ensure I keep getting it. I dont get why players need to be motivated by the manager. Surely the fact that you are being paid to play football is enough? If not, I'm sure they could easily find someone who is willing to trade jobs with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Sútalún

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    A lot of people are blaming Wenger for not motivating the players but really, most are getting paid between £50,000 and £100,000 PER WEEK! Surely that should be enough to motivate players to look like they give a fcuk?

If I was getting paid even £2,000 a week I'd be killing myself every week to ensure I keep getting it. I dont get why players need to be motivated by the manager. Surely the fact that you are being paid to play football is enough? If not, I'm sure they could easily find someone who is willing to trade jobs with them.

But the logic behind that would then claim that all the highly paid players in the world would be motivated? Which they're not.. There's definitely something going on, I mean there have been poor results earlier in the season, but the lack of commitment in the last two games has been astounding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,198 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

They are getting new contracts for playing rubbish anyway. Why would they worry about killing themselves. There is no pressure being put on them by the club because the club are only interested in profits. If that was not the case we wouldn't have seen such poor performances for the last number of years. If the club was interested in football they would not have bought such dross anyway. Today I was looking back at the Invincibles team and comparing them to what Wenger has bought since. RVP is the only one who might push for a place in that team. We have gone downhill a mighty distance since that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,477 ✭✭✭✭cson

Letting Patrick Vieira and Ashley Cole go in the manner which we did was the beginning of the end for us as a genuine force in the League and Europe I think. Stadium had to be paid for of course, but now we have a shiny new stadium thats going to be 3/4 full I'm guessing next season. The point I'm trying to make is that you can have all the fancy infrastructure in the world but if you don't create a winning team, a winning mentality and a jersey that players want to wear then its not worth a fuck.

How much longer can Arsène Wenger be offered the benefit of the doubt?

Arsène Wenger's achievements are so monumental it is not an easy thing to find ourselves at the point when we have to acknowledge, however reluctantly, he is straying dangerously close to fully fledged fantasy if he seriously believes restoring true greatness to Arsenal is going to be anything but a dauntingly long-term project.

The evidence was overwhelming even before their ordeal at the Stadio Guiseppe Meazza and the latest directionless effort at Sunderland that, once again, takes them out of trophy contention and makes it felt even more absurd that Wenger had begun the week expressing his belief that they had realistic aspirations of outdoing Milan, Barcelona, Real Madrid and all the rest to win the Champions League.

Nobody had taken it particularly seriously because, put bluntly, we assumed a man of this calibre was surely more in touch with reality and, if not, what happened at San Siro ("not a football match but a massacre," as La Repubblica put it) made the point with the force of a sledgehammer.

After that, if Wenger's judgment is skewed enough to believe it was simply one bad night, rather than the cumulative effects of a decline that has gone on longer than most Arsenal fans would care to remember, then maybe what we are looking at here is compelling evidence that even the greatest football men can lose their way, inexplicably and irretrievably.

This is not said lightly in an age when football's blame culture and unending demand for scapegoats can be incredibly wearing and Wenger has already revolutionised Arsenal to the point that, even now, it feels almost sacrilege to question his suitability for what needs to happen next. Yet how much longer can we offer the benefit of the doubt when it is so plainly obvious that much of the old magic is no longer there? The decline is year on year and when the man in charge appears to believe it needs only some fine-tuning it becomes increasingly difficult to sustain a legitimate defence.

Already this season we have seen open mutiny at the Emirates Stadium and the most voluble abuse Wenger has ever encountered from his own crowd. This frustration has been building since they won their last trophy seven years ago, and who can say it will get any better soon when they will surely lose their outstanding player, Robin van Persie, at the end of the season?

Wenger has already seen most of his better players picked off by predators. Inferior replacements have been brought in and you know things are bad when Sir Alex Ferguson starts referring to him with the kind of 19th-hole chumminess that could make you think they were Rotary Club buddies rather than embittered adversaries of old. Ferguson and Wenger could once have fallen out over a game of Pooh Sticks but, seriously, why would anyone at Manchester United be overly concerned now about the manager of such an ordinary team, 17 points off Manchester City at the top of the league?

The truth is Arsenal are in fourth position despite recording only one league victory of real substance all season. That was the 5-3 at Chelsea in October, when they came across a side enduring their own slump. Otherwise they have lost every single time against the other four other clubs with aspirations of challenging for the top positions. A good barometer of a team's competitive spirit can usually be found in their away form and Arsenal, on their travels, have conceded more goals than every other team bar two of the sides in the bottom four, Blackburn Rovers and Wigan Athletic. In truth, fourth place flatters Arsenal.

What we have now is a team regarded as such a soft touch that, before a ball had even been kicked at San Siro, the former Milan coaches Carlo Ancelotti and Arrigo Sacchi, with four Europeans Cups between them, could casually dismiss Wenger's men in a click of the fingers, and nobody saw it as the slightest bit impudent. Dennis Bergkamp, Martin Keown and Patrick Vieira have all weighed in from the Invincibles era. These are serial winners, as perplexed as the rest of us. Roy Keane, an old foe now on television duty, was still shaking his head as he boarded his flight from Malpensa airport on Thursday. This team, he said, were going nowhere fast. "The worst Arsenal side in 10 years," Sacchi volunteered.

This is why nobody can really blame Van Persie if, at 28, he wants to join a team that represent more than the elegant frustration Arsenal have become. This could be the first season under Wenger that they fail to qualify for the Champions League and will almost certainly be the only time in his tenure they finish below Spurs, currently 10 points better off. The deterioration has been nothing short of staggering and you have to wonder whether Wenger, already planning for next season, is in danger of joining the list of football greats who stayed too long.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2012/feb/18/arsene-wenger-doubt-daniel-taylor

So many good points.

No-one sees us as a threat anymore.

sigh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭ImpossibleDuck

I saw him play in the only ACN game I got to see.

Scored a beauty of a goal. Looked a decent player.

Was Vieria not told "we want you to stay, but we wont force you to"? It was his decision to leave for Italy, plus, his replacment didnt turn out too badly :pac:

• Advertisement

Was Vieria not told "we want you to stay, but we wont force you to"? It was his decision to leave for Italy, plus, his replacment didnt turn out too badly :pac:

We were lucky with his "replacement" who was only a kid then. It could have gone south had he received an early injury. It happened more by luck than by design I feel. Again no money was spent but it worked out o.k.

We were lucky with his "replacement" who was only a kid then. It could have gone south had he received an early injury. It happened more by luck than by design I feel. Again no money was spent but it worked out o.k.

I'd give wenger credit here he let him go cause he new his replacement was ready

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Yeah fair enough his replacement didnt do too badly, but Vieira left in 2005 after we had finished second in the league behind Chelsea. Since Fabregas replaced him we havent finished any greater than third in the league. Our style of football also changed which hasnt brought us any success since in terms of trophies.

Fair enough we got to a champions league Final and semi-final since, but 2005-2006 premier league season was as bad as this one. Our run to the champions league final took the heat off some shocking performances that season and of course Spurs bottling (or food poisoning) it on the last day of that season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

cson wrote: »
    Letting Patrick Vieira and Ashley Cole go in the manner which we did was the beginning of the end for us as a genuine force in the League and Europe I think. Stadium had to be paid for of course, but now we have a shiny new stadium thats going to be 3/4 full I'm guessing next season. The point I'm trying to make is that you can have all the fancy infrastructure in the world but if you don't create a winning team, a winning mentality and a jersey that players want to wear then its not worth a fuck.

150% agree with your comments no winning mentality in this current team.The likes of the Norwich cities and swansea who are only newly promoted to the PL this season have put us to shame with some of the football they play and the heart they have for the jersey when playing week in week out!
    Not good enough Arsenal players,Arsene wenger,the board of directors etc etc etc etc etc :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,477 ✭✭✭✭cson

Out of all the top 4 clubs we've always been the one thats struggled to keep our best players. Chelsea have lost no one over the past 8 years since they got the oil money, Manchester United haven't lost anyone they didn't want to Ronaldo aside, same goes for Liverpool with Torres excepted, I mean **** it; even Spurs hung onto Modric because they wanted to.

Most of those clubs have had their star players heads turned at one time or another [Rooney - City, Gerrard - Chelsea, Modric - Chelsea, Lampard - Barcelona] but they're still there.

We don't have any resolve when it comes to this and I think the players know it. We eventually cave every time a bigger or richer club flash some cash at us. Thus we have **** all continuity in the squad. No one like Park Ji Sung or Dirk Kuyt who while they aren't world beaters have been solid squad players over the course of 5/6/7/8 years. Instead we're laboured with journeymen squad players like Squillaci or Silvestre who the manager clearly has no trust in, you'd never see that at Old Trafford. Fergie puts Park, Evans in and they do a job for him.

It's ****ing grating to think of the squad we might have had we held firm and kept players; told the potential suitors to **** off, they're under contract to one of the biggest clubs in the world and they'll be successful here thank you very much. Fabregas, Nasri, Vieira, Cole [especially], Adebayor, Henry, Toure... I understand you can't keep everyone and keep them happy but ffs we don't have sell eveytime an oil dollar is waved under our nose.

That's part of the problem with the club; its a mentality issue. We capitulate frequently on the pitch because we as a club capitulate off the pitch as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

I know a couple of years ago it would have been unrhinkable to sack Wenger but how much longer can he keep dining on past glories?

I'd accept that the problems at the club are by no means all his fault but he seems to be living on reputation now and this Arsenal team is full of skilful but heartelss players, and ultimately the attitude of the players on the pitch reflects on the manager for good or bad. Even If Fergie had an ordinary bunch to work with you know they'd run their socks off because it would be demanded of them.

I don't think there's any esacpaing the fact that a change of manager is needed if only to freshen things up. Someone to bring some new ideas and a fresh approach. If I was an Arsenal fan I'd say thank you Arsene you've been brilliant for the most part but now it's time to let someone else have a go. There's still the makings of a good young team there, lots of potential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

greendom wrote: »
    Why do we loan out our players to Bolton? I hate Bolton personally and I wish they would get relegated.

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Why do we loan out our players to Bolton? I hate Bolton personally and I wish they would get relegated.
    We loaned them Wilshere and he didnt turn out half bad. If Ryo does the same I'd be all for sending a player or two up to them every year!

We loaned them Wilshere and he didnt turn out half bad. If Ryo does the same I'd be all for sending a player or two up to them every year!
    I know it is probably good for them but I would rather loan these players out to even Leeds Utd. A sort of *big* club in a way. There is no real pressure at Bolton IMO. Even if they are fighting to survive in the Premier League, no one would bat an eyelid if they got relegated.

• Advertisement

As some have said in the last few pages, there is just no winning mentality in this side. But you also need to consider the system they are playing in and the coaching given to them as a team. We have some good players in Vermaelen and Kosicelny who would probably look amazing in some other teams but due to bad coaching and tactical set up, they are stretched and moved all over the back 4.

So the team struggles to win anything because we concede too many goals and let pressure situations get to us. Work on the system and defensive side of the game and this will go away over time. You can't win a trophy if you can't defend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

As some have said in the last few pages, there is just no winning mentality in this side. But you also need to consider the system they are playing in and the coaching given to them as a team. We have some good players in Vermaelen and Kosicelny who would probably look amazing in some other teams but due to bad coaching and tactical set up, they are stretched and moved all over the back 4.

So the team struggles to win anything because we concede too many goals and let pressure situations get to us. Work on the system and defensive side of the game and this will go away over time. You can't win a trophy if you can't defend.

George Graham on defence Wenger on attack, how does that sound.

I think George would do it as he loves Arsenal but I don't think Arsene would want the help.

Martin Keown as a first team coach, Steve Bould assistant and a new manager. Perhaps Benitez. I mean, he has won the European cup and titles in Spain. I just think we need to win a trophy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

cson wrote: »

Agreed. As mentioned before Wengers hands are completely tied IMO. The finger has to be pointed at the board and Ivan. Remember Wenger WATNED Cole to stay, he thought it was insane to lose a player like him for the sake of 5k a week extra. The penny pinching has destoryed the team, not Wenger IMO.

Nobody is saying that we have to go out and spend like Chelsea or Man City but Wenger needs to be given more freedom in his transfer dealings. Also, ever since Dein left there has been nobody on the board that under stands the footballing side of the club.
    Wenger should come out and come clean. All it will take is one interview and all the fans will turn on the board.

Wenger needs to sack some coaches and get some new blood in. Freshen things up a bit. He's too good to most of the players. Imagine Walcott or Arshavin playing like they dont give a **** in a team with Roy Keane? He would kill them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

I know it is probably good for them but I would rather loan these players out to even Leeds Utd. A sort of *big* club in a way. There is no real pressure at Bolton IMO. Even if they are fighting to survive in the Premier League, no one would bat an eyelid if they got relegated.

If only that would happen...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

I think wenger likes the way coyle plays his teams. I hated them under allardyce, don't mind them now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Surely it's better for their development that they are playing against Premiership opposition rather than championship. It gives the coaching staff at Arsenal a much better chance of seeing if they're going to "make it" and when they come back to Arsenal they are much more prepared.

So Wengers come out and said "4th place is the first trophy" FFS man! We are The Arsenal! 4th place has never, is never and will never be a goddamn trophy! He's doing my f*cking head in with all this loser talk!
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/feb/19/arsene-wenger-arsenal-fourth-place

smi20.gif

Made me so angry I did another terrible photoshop

24228.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

They are much more this season but in previous seasons they have done well defensively. But say Wenger does leave this summer, we could have Guardiola or Mourinho leaving both Barcelona and Real Madrid. Which one would you take?

Hmmm, a guy who has only managed at one club that has happened to have the best midfield talent in the world or the guy that has won with 4 different clubs in 4 different countries, inlcuding two CL triumphs, and in one of those cases with a team not full of the best players in the world.
    Would winning the league or champions league at Chelsea or MU be such a great achievement anyway.

I think Guardiola is the type of manager who would like to rebuild a once great club and Arsenal are a perfect match.

Being honest Arsenal have only been great for short periods decades apart.
    If he wants that sort of challenge then head to Liverpool who being honest were in a totally different level of greatness to Arsenal.
    dvemail wrote: »
    Serious changes need to be made in the board room. Enough of this trying to make money craic if this is the results we are to be expecting each week.

Serious changes need to be made in management.
    A decent manager can get donkeys to play well and uses the money given to him wisely. FFS see how Moyes can get some half decent players to do a job.

Wenger has used the money given to him to buy squillaci, chamakh, park, silvestre, etc, etc and as can now be seen he can't even motivate players of the stature of Arshavin and lately players like Vermaelen.
    Sergio wrote: »
    Have to disagree.Our defense is still the main cause of our down fall.Mertesacker has been very poor at times,vermaelen has been unlucky with injuries but santos is far from proven.I know gibbs has been injured too and sagna also but overall we have been leaking far too many goals,Djourou was a disgace again today and was lucky to be still on the pitch after the 2 footed tackle.He also was the cause of their first goal.Koscielny has been our best player all season consistently strong and not afraid to get stuck in.

Vermaelen has also played some sh**e to be honest.
    Santos gets lost and should never have been bought.
    A late twenty something Brazillian worth his salt would not be lanquishing in Turkey.
    jank wrote: »
    Agreed. As mentioned before Wengers hands are completely tied IMO. The finger has to be pointed at the board and Ivan. Remember Wenger WATNED Cole to stay, he thought it was insane to lose a player like him for the sake of 5k a week extra. The penny pinching has destoryed the team, not Wenger IMO.
    Yet another excuse for the sh**e management that Wenger has been showing not just this year, but over a few years.
    How come his teams collapse when the going gets tough.
    And they were teams with one of the best midfielders in the world and two other players the richest club in the world pocketed last summer.

Wenger was the one that made Gallas captain, the one that refused to go out and get a decent keeper, the one that plays Walcott, the one that hired that united reject silvestre.
    jank wrote: »
    Nobody is saying that we have to go out and spend like Chelsea or Man City but Wenger needs to be given more freedom in his transfer dealings. Also, ever since Dein left there has been nobody on the board that under stands the footballing side of the club.
    Wenger should come out and come clean. All it will take is one interview and all the fans will turn on the board.

Wenger needs to sack some coaches and get some new blood in. Freshen things up a bit. He's too good to most of the players. Imagine Walcott or Arshavin playing like they dont give a **** in a team with Roy Keane? He would kill them!

Wenger needs to sack himself.

In sports like in politics or business, some people can be very sucessful and build something marvellous, but sometimes their ego and driven attitude that made them successful in the first place is their downfall.
    These people often need to see the writing on the wall, but they don't.

Wenger has been failing now for a while and I am getting tired of the sh**e where people are trying to find excuses for him.
    There is the excuse that the board are tying his hands, but then he goes out and blows 5/6 million on a Korean who is playing in French league and will have to go off to do his national service in a couple of years.
    He went off an bought Chamakh and Squillaci who are also products of the French league.
    He bought Mertesacker who's club form has been steadily on the decline for 3/4 years.
    He has refused to recognise where he has problems.
    He now appears to have shag all idea how to coach a defense.

Wenger WAS great for the club, but he IS no longer good for the club.
    The club comes first and it is time to say goodbye.

Some around here thinks Wenger is the club.
    Well he aint, there were sucessful teams before him and there will hopefully be successful teams after him.
    But if he remains I guarantee you this, there will not be another sucessful team under his management unless a sugar daddy arrives to spend a few hundred million on players.

If you want to succeed in sport, or anything for that matter, there is no room for sentimentality.

I am not allowed discuss …

Wengers time will only be up when those living in the past and holding onto the mans reputation rather than the clubs, wake up and realise this is Arsenal FC, not Arsene FC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭FUNKY LOVER

From Batman the dark knight:

You die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Here is an article from the Telegraph that any Arsenal fan would have no problem answering
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/9089096/Arsenal-clearout-Who-should-Arsene-Wenger-sell-this-summer.html

I think Wenger will be mulling over the same question for the summer too.

Here is an article from the Telegraph that any Arsenal fan would have no problem answering
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/9089096/Arsenal-clearout-Who-should-Arsene-Wenger-sell-this-summer.html

I think Wenger will be mulling over the same question for the summer too.

Hey that vote thing is ar**ways.
    It doesn't include the guys out on loan like denilson and Bendtner who AFAIK are still officially on the books.

I think it would be easier to ask who should stay. :(

AST meeting tonight should be interesting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Whose next... Tottenham, Pool and Milan.

Crap :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Next 2 games will makes or break us even further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,569 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I got Spurs -1 @ 5/1 and -2 @ 14/1.

Lashed a fiver on each. Couldn't believe how big the odds were.

Although it's exactly the kind of game we'll eke out a 2-1 win and Arsene will think it vindicates him form al the criticism he's been receiving lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Galvasean wrote: »
    Whose next... Tottenham, Pool and Milan.

Crap :/

I think these are exactly the matches that we want, beats playing the likes of Wigan, Wolves or Bolton where a win would only paper over the cracks and give a false dawn of hope. Wins against Spurs and Liverpool will begin to heal some of the wounds opened over the last week/season. The players should be really fired up for Spurs at home or else there really will be trouble. The next two fixtures will obviously make or break our chances for fourth place. The players owe the fans results and performances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

RVP 11 wrote: »
    Wengers time will only be up when those living in the past and holding onto the mans reputation rather than the clubs, wake up and realise this is Arsenal FC, not Arsene FC.

Couldnt agree more with your comments.You hit the nail on the head :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,059 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Frisbee wrote: »
    I got Spurs -1 @ 5/1 and -2 @ 14/1.

Lashed a fiver on each. Couldn't believe how big the odds were.

Although it's exactly the kind of game we'll eke out a 2-1 win and Arsene will think it vindicates him form al the criticism he's been receiving lately.

Good to see the vultures are circling.

I think these are exactly the matches that we want, beats playing the likes of Wigan, Wolves or Bolton where a win would only paper over the cracks and give a false dawn of hope. Wins against Spurs and Liverpool will begin to heal some of the wounds opened over the last week/season. The players should be really fired up for Spurs at home or else there really will be trouble. The next two fixtures will obviously make or break our chances for fourth place. The players owe the fans results and performances.

Spurs may be a big deal for the fans, but for most of the players I wouldn't think so.
    IMHO the days are gone when local rivalries meant much to the players.
    After all what does it mean to Gervinho, Arshavin, Vermaelen, Kos or the rest of the foreign contingent of mercenaries ?
    To most of them it is yet another London club, one which if the money was right they would join in a heartbeat.

Some would have you believe Arsenal FC only started in 1996.

Yeah, The Wengerites.

Quazzie wrote: »
    Good to see the vultures are circling.

The vultures are so tired circling they are walking round now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Yeah, The Wengerites.

Arsenal existed before Wenger and will exist after him, but forgive my reluctance to let go of our greatest ever manager!

L'prof wrote: »
    Arsenal existed before Wenger and will exist after him, but forgive my reluctance to let go of our greatest ever manager!

Had George Graham got the same amount of time he would be leading hands down and we wouldn't be leaking goals either.
    Why oh why did you mess it up George ?

Had George Graham got the same amount of time he would be leading hands down and we wouldn't be leaking goals either.
    Simple fact is, you can not know that. How do we know George Graham wouldnt have gone the same way Wenger is going now? You dont. Graham left at the ideal time from his point of view. Had he stayed on, he could have continued the team down same course they were on, or things could just as easily have gone south. You cant say for definite what would have happened.

Looks at Leeds for an example. Champions League semi finalists, then relegated shortly after. Things in football can change very quickly. It would be very foolish to think that what is currently happening to Wenger, couldnt have happened to Graham had he remained in charge. It could have, and could even have been worse.

L'prof wrote: »

Actually just looking at it, Graham was there from 86 to 95 and won two leagues, two league cups, one FA cup and one Cup Winners Cup.

There were league runners up once and Cup Winner Cup runners up once.

Wenger has been there from 96 to 2012.
    He has won three leagues and four FA cups.

He lost two European finals and have been league runners up 5 times.
    Have been runners up in FA Cup once and runners up in two league cups.

Wenger did everything in his first 9 years and has been living off that glory ever since.
    Would Graham have been granted that luxury ?

Looking at it Wenger's teams were nearly men too many times.
    That is way too many second places for my liking.

Simple fact is, you can not know that. How do we know George Graham wouldnt have gone the same way Wenger is going now? You dont. Graham left at the ideal time from his point of view. Had he stayed on, he could have continued the team down same course they were on, or things could just as easily have gone south. You cant say for definite what would have happened.

Looks at Leeds for an example. Champions League semi finalists, then relegated shortly after. Things in football can change very quickly. It would be very foolish to think that what is currently happening to Wenger, couldnt have happened to Graham had he remained in charge. It could have, and could even have been worse.

More to the point if Wenger had left six years ago we might be in a better position now. I think George would have kept us winning things but we won't know now. Just my belief.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement