Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

FTP - Functional Threshold Power....how big is yours!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭twonpelota

User|Current FTP|Watts/kg|Target FTP|Target Watts/kg|Test|Unit
    Jackyback|284watts|4.17|325watts|5.00|T20|Power2Max PM
    NWM2|285watts|3.32|310watts|3.7|T5+T20*0.95|Powertap SL2+
    pgibbo|232watts|3.18|300watts|4.35|T5+T20*0.95|Power2Max PM
    twonpelota|250 watts|3.2|300watts|4.4|T5+T20*0.95|SRM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭ Miles Embarrassed Ubiquity

I'll let you PM guys have this challenge as Im one of the Taxc Flow owners with an overinflated FTP :rolleyes:

But at least I did mine off a T60 :P Damn near saw the pearly gates too

Sure stick it up as it was included for everyone inclusive of turbos. Whilst it may be over inflated at least you recalibrate so there is consistency in your numbers and the repeat tests should show improvement through the season with an ultimate target in mind.

How did your T60 results compare to your T5+T20*0.95 numbers?

Jackyback|284watts|4.17|325watts|5.00|T20+T20*0.95|Power2Max PM

Table amended with test type.

Not many sharers out there:) either,
    A) Too shy
    B) Not testing/training with power/turbo
    C) Keeping cards close to your chest so a target is not drawn on your back:p

I will go with B and a sprinkle of C!!

By the way this is a great read and tells you all you need to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Sure stick it up as it was included for everyone inclusive of turbos. Whilst it may be over inflated at least you recalibrate so there is consistency in your numbers and the repeat tests should show improvement through the season with an ultimate target in mind.

The mad thing about the over inflated taxc numbers is that if I were to take lets say the 20% probability out it would drop my FTP to about about 250w by your PM standards. That would put me about 35w behind you. Now, considering I'm about a minute slower than this guy over a 15km hilly TT course, I see bright things in your future on the saddle :)

The 2*T20 was a disaster, went too hard on the first one and died a death on the second, came out with alower FTP than 2010. The T60 was approached more cautiously and although I faded in the last 10 mins I held it together for an improvement on the T5+T20 result at the end of 2010. Which was not bad considering the IM programme was all endurance for me. I barely touched FTP over 80%. Th eimprovement is entirely related to focus on power in the last 2 months

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Nwm2

Not many sharers out there:) either,
    A) Too shy
    B) Not testing/training with power/turbo
    C) Keeping cards close to your chest so a target is not drawn on your back:p

I will go with B and a sprinkle of C!!

By the way this is a great read and tells you all you need to know.

The numbers up so far are probably above average, which may put people with lower numbers off. MCOS is probably well over 300 when he adds it in.

People - don't be shy. I was 223W a year ago, and I would say based on what I read on various forums that there are lots of people at around 200W or lower. I'm guessing there is a big absolute power difference between males and females also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Nwm2 wrote: »
    The numbers up so far are probably above average, which may put people with lower numbers off. MCOS is probably well over 300 when he adds it in.

People - don't be shy. I was 223W a year ago, and I would say based on what I read on various forums that there are lots of people at around 200W or lower. I'm guessing there is a big absolute power difference between males and females also.

Roll up, roll up......I don't want to be Paddy last! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭duffyshuffle

Waiting on my PT so will update when it arrives and I do some suffering

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Notwitch

pgibbo wrote: »
    Roll up, roll up......I don't want to be Paddy last! :D

Give it a bit of time. Scheduling a test plays a part too.

Also, now with the new '% movement off base' measure, rather than absolute value, the incentive is there to low ball the first number!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Fazz|255 watts|3.76|300 watts|4.4|T5+T20*0.95|Computrainer

Is it me or are some folks aiming too high for improvements?
    Or else weight loss is a factor!

I think mine are gonna be hard to achieve and 4 watts per kg is my first and main milestone. The 4.4 is a top level goal of 300ftp.

I think the figures should be taken with a relative pinch of salt as calibration is a fair differential from device to device I'd say.
    But the improvement tracker is the main aim and I'm going for 10-17% :)

Next cp20 is next week for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

The mad thing about the over inflated taxc numbers is that if I were to take lets say the 20% probability out it would drop my FTP to about about 250w by your PM standards. That would put me about 35w behind you. Now, considering I'm about a minute slower than this guy over a 15km hilly TT course, I see bright things in your future on the saddle :)

The 2*T20 was a disaster, went too hard on the first one and died a death on the second, came out with alower FTP than 2010. The T60 was approached more cautiously and although I faded in the last 10 mins I held it together for an improvement on the T5+T20 result at the end of 2010. Which was not bad considering the IM programme was all endurance for me. I barely touched FTP over 80%. Th eimprovement is entirely related to focus on power in the last 2 months

Up to 20%, yours mightn't be. Although an ftp over 300 should mean/meant a sub five IM bike.

• Advertisement

@MCOS you are a stronger biker than me at the moment thats for sure but all that will change when i go into a secret training camp and come Barca time i will give you a right doing over. Right enough smack talk:)
    Whilst i came across a large difference on my turbo and PM as Tunney says i would say yours is much less considering you posted a 5:05 (correct me if i am wrong) Given your race weight was probably 7-10kg heavier than me and taking an average aero position your FTP must have been around the 310-320 range on the turbo last year?

tunney wrote: »
    Up to 20%, yours mightn't be. Although an ftp over 300 should mean/meant a sub five IM bike.

Not necessarily though as there are lots of variables as you well know:), weight of rider, cda, crr and the the main variable is each individual may pace differently some at 70% others at 75% or 80%.
    I know personally for me an FTP of 300 would leave me pacing my IM bike split around 70% for 210watts and as MCOS reckons i weigh the same as a large pigeon:) it should get me a sub 5 bike split and still have fresh legs to run.

Fazz wrote: »
    Is it me or are some folks aiming too high for improvements?
    Or else weight loss is a factor!

I reckon WL is the defining factor actually
    I suspected that I can't be that much off either. My heart rate corresponds generally with the zones, SS, LT, VO2 etc..
    ... come Barca time i will give you a right doing over. Right enough smack talk:)
    I'm going to hold you to this. I now have it saved along side Tunney saying that no adult learner will ever crack 1:10/100m in a pool ;)

Whilst i came across a large difference on my turbo and PM as Tunney says i would say yours is much less considering you posted a 5:05 (correct me if i am wrong) Given your race weight was probably 7-10kg heavier than me and taking an average aero position your FTP must have been around the 310-320 range on the turbo last year?
    Race weight was 76kg. Bike was 5:03. I have never had a bike fit so I suspect there is more to come with a proper fit and being more aero etc..
    I didn't really test FTP last winter. I was more concerned about my base fitness than power. I had done about 2 months of power work before the World AGs in Budapest and I had a flyer of a bike on the pan flat course (40kmh+ avg).

In Roth I found myself in pace groups with sub9 guys. I held them on the flats, passed them on descents and where I made my fundamental error was pushing too hard up hills. They were probably 5-6 kg less than me with several IMs under their belt. It was a rookie mistake that I believe together with a couple of other factors lead to my breakdown on the run.

FWIW my current FTP is 318w on the Taxc Flow and based on a T60. That puts me at 4.02w/kg. I have a 2*T20 test coming up this month and while I'd like to move the power in the right direction, I'd be satisfied to have the same output at 2kg less than the last test. I'd like to get my output to 4.5w/kg and realistically that requires an improvement to 330w and a drop of 6kg :eek: In reality though I need more than that. I need to spend time on the saddle cycling up hills too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

So how would one go about doing an FTP test on a flow? Calib to zero, go hard for five mins, recover, hard for 20, post results and then wait for Tunney to rubbish it? ;)

Is this how you lads and lasses measure progress?

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    So how would one go about doing an FTP test on a flow? Calib to zero, go hard for five mins, recover, hard for 20, post results and then wait for Tunney to rubbish it? ;)

Is this how you lads and lasses measure progress?

Calib to zero set brake to +1 then 3 options

1) warm up 10 mins with some 30sec bursts to raise your HR. Then 5 min TT all out. 10 min easy. 20 mins all out recording avg power and HR

2) warm up same. 20 min TT. 2 min rest. Another 20 min TT. Take average power and HR value of both to score

3) warm up same. 60 mins all out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

The purpose of the test is not to get the best number for the numbers sake but to use that number to guide your training best

Not even mathematics really uses numbers just for numbers sake Tunney!

No, this test can also be used as a comparison to previous tests to check progression or regression. Surely you note progression from one test to next and dont just use it solely to plot out a spectrum of general training intensities? Feedback is a vital part in guiding your training, and shouldnt be ignored.
    Consider a 180km IM bike leg, people typically race it at 75% of FTP, a 20km sprint bike leg would be at or over 100%FTP. So a five hour IM biker versus a 30 minute sprint biker, which one would do better at this test? The one with the higher FTP.

I disagree. All things otherwise being equal the cyclist whose specific event involves racing at 100% FTP will have a higher FTP than if his specific event involves racing at 75% FTP. It cant be any other way.

Calib to zero set brake to +1 then 3 options

1) warm up 10 mins with some 30sec bursts to raise your HR. Then 5 min TT all out. 10 min easy. 20 mins all out recording avg power and HR

2) warm up same. 20 min TT. 2 min rest. Another 20 min TT. Take average power and HR value of both to score

3) warm up same. 60 mins all out.

I think setting the brake to +1 after calibration is key. I've found having both the output of the P2M and the flow visible that when you go to +1 on the brake that the power output figure for the flow reduces whereas it increases with the P2M. Jsut an observation and a sa result I think a brake of zero definitely gives more inflated figures.

2 & 3 above are just sadistic Mike! :D

pgibbo wrote: »
    I think setting the brake to +1 after calibration is key. I've found having both the output of the P2M and the flow visible that when you go to +1 on the brake that the power output figure for the flow reduces whereas it increases with the P2M. Jsut an observation and a sa result I think a brake of zero definitely gives more inflated figures.

2 & 3 above are just sadistic Mike! :D

+1 on the slope setting its a more accurate reading on the turbo and the numbers go up to a level that compares with outside riding on the power meter.
    Just on testing, options 2 & 3 are fine as once off tests but not repeat tests as they are too taxing on the body especially in the midst of heavy training and your sessions will suffer as a result.

@MCOS i was doing some rough calculations and you would probably need to be hitting about 220/5watts for a sub 5 bike with the 11kg weight deficit to a large pigeon like myself:).
    Bringing it back to FTP's 300watts for me and 320watts for your good self and thats pacing at 70%.

Just seen my plan for next week, perfect timing with a T5+T20 coming up:)

+1 on the slope setting its a more accurate reading on the turbo and the numbers go up to a level that compares with outside riding on the power meter.
    Just on testing, options 2 & 3 are fine as once off tests but not repeat tests as they are too taxing on the body especially in the midst of heavy training and your sessions will suffer as a result.

@MCOS i was doing some rough calculations and you would probably need to be hitting about 220/5watts for a sub 5 bike with the 11kg weight deficit to a large pigeon like myself:).
    Bringing it back to FTP's 300watts for me and 320watts for your good self and thats pacing at 70%.

Just seen my plan for next week, perfect timing with a T5+T20 coming up:)

Sub 5 can be done on <210 watts for someone weighing around 68-70kg with a reasonable position.

T runner wrote: »
    Not even mathematics really uses numbers just for numbers sake Tunney!

No, this test can also be used as a comparison to previous tests to check progression or regression. Surely you note progression from one test to next and dont just use it solely to plot out a spectrum of general training intensities? Feedback is a vital part in guiding your training, and shouldnt be ignored.

Main goal is guiding training. training with power is very different to training with HR. Progress is interesting, especially in a historical context but main goal is present training
    T runner wrote: »
    I disagree. All things otherwise being equal the cyclist whose specific event involves racing at 100% FTP will have a higher FTP than if his specific event involves racing at 75% FTP. It cant be any other way.

Agree to disagree.

About to stick up my flow figures. Did T5 + T20 test on a flow and in doing so, I will lift Pquibbo from paddy last.

Quick question, when people say T5 + T20 * 0.95, are you adding the watts from T5 and T20 together and then multiplying that total by .95?

• Advertisement

About to stick up my flow figures. Did T5 + T20 test on a flow and in doing so, I will lift Pquibbo from paddy last.

Quick question, when people say T5 + T20 * 0.95, are you adding the watts from T5 and T20 together and then multiplying that total by .95?

Just take the average of the T20 and multiply it by 0.95. So if you have 245W from the T20, you're FTP is 232

No, just the T20 x 0.95

Nerraw|216 watts|3.33|280 watts|4.3|T5+T20*0.95|Tacx Flow

You're welcome pqibbo. ;)

My target watt I simply made up on the spot as I don't know enough about testing/my cycling to put down a more specific target. Definitely an honest test, as I was wrecked after the T5.

Still, according to Tunney, I can do a sub 5 Ironman bike with a good position ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Still, according to Tunney, I can do a sub 5 Ironman bike with a good position ;)

Well if you were to race an IM at FTP, you could.

Your IM pace would be more like 155watts

Nerraw|216 watts|3.33|280 watts|4.3|T5+T20*0.95|Tacx Flow
    shotgunmcos|318 watts|4.02|330watts|4.4|T20,2,T20|Tacx Flow

How do people propose progress gets tracked with this table? I retest this week and am wondering if I overwrite my current entry or add a new one?

mloc123 wrote: »
    Well if you were to race an IM at FTP, you could.

Your IM pace would be more like 155watts

Way to burst my bubble. I'd be barely moving at that rate.

User|Starting FTP|Current FTP|Watts/kg|Target FTP|Target Watts/kg|Test|Unit
    Jackyback|284watts|284watts|4.17|325watts|5.00|T20+T20*0.95|Power2Max PM
    NWM2|285watts|285watts|3.32|310watts|3.7|T5+T20*0.95|Powertap SL2+
    pgibbo|232watts|232watts|3.18|300watts|4.35|T5+T20*0.95|Power2Max PM
    twonpelota|250 watts|250 watts|3.2|300watts|4.4|T5+T20*0.95|SRM
    Fazz|255 watts|255 watts|3.76|300 watts|4.4|T5+T20*0.95|Computrainer
    Nerraw|216 watts|216 watts|3.33|280 watts|4.3|T5+T20*0.95|Tacx Flow
    shotgunmcos|318 watts|318 watts|4.02|330watts|4.4|T20,2,T20|Tacx Flow

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭duffyshuffle

No PT yet. I've done the wind gate(?) (3 min incremental power increases) bike test in TCD and have gotten HR/Power @ Lactate Threshold (2mmol)

Is this the same as FTP or will it give a different reading if anyone has done T20*.95 and lab testing to compare?

Should it give the same result?

• Advertisement

User|Starting FTP|Current FTP|Watts/kg|Target FTP|Target Watts/kg|Test|Unit
    Jackyback|284watts|284watts|4.17|325watts|5.00|T20+T20*0.95|Power2Max PM
    NWM2|285watts|285watts|3.32|310watts|3.7|T5+T20*0.95|Powertap SL2+
    pgibbo|232watts|260watts|3.56|300watts|4.35|T5+T20*0.95|Power2Max PM
    twonpelota|250 watts|250 watts|3.2|300watts|4.4|T5+T20*0.95|SRM
    Fazz|255 watts|255 watts|3.76|300 watts|4.4|T5+T20*0.95|Computrainer
    Nerraw|216 watts|216 watts|3.33|280 watts|4.3|T5+T20*0.95|Tacx Flow
    shotgunmcos|318 watts|318 watts|4.02|330watts|4.4|T20,2,T20|Tacx Flow

Advertisement