Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dash cam saves your ass (no Roundabout stuff please :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

I have it mounted right up beside the rear view mirror so it doesn't obstruct any view and is less visible from outside the car.

DSCF2600.jpg

DSCF2599-1.jpg

It stands out with the camera flash but you wouldn't notice it standing normally outside the car.

Does you dash came just keep recording over old footage? Do you just turn it on when you start driving and forget about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

bonzos wrote: »
    Does you dash came just keep recording over old footage? Do you just turn it on when you start driving and forget about it?

Yeah they record in segments of 2, 5 or 15 minutes and when the card is full it records over the first segment and so on.

It starts recording when the ignition is turned on and stops when turned off so you don't have to think about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Yeah, it pushes the overall cost of the system to a whopping ~€50, which isn't exactly much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

You have to wonder at this stage why they haven't become a mandatory feature to be installed in all new cars.

Would certainly help the courts. Does any new car come with one installed ? Thinking S Class, 7 Series.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 The Lorax

I use a Roadhawk RH-1 - it's great.

I've been advised not to tell anyone you have a camera until the Gardai turn up & take a statement first - let them lie, then pwn them in front of the Gardai. Makes for a more fun reaction, the deception is on the record, and it makes your case much stronger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

And if they did, and pulled you over, you show them its a camera and be on your way.

Filming in a public place is not illegal so there are no issues with them legally.

They are still a fairly new concept outside law enforcement so I don't know what insurance companies or courts views on them are yet.

I presume you have it plugged into the cigarette lighter? If that's the case how did you tidy up the cable? The unit I have has a stupidly long cable and I'm not sure how I should tidy it up.

http://www.prestigio.com/products/Car-Electronics/Car_Video_Recorder/Roadrunner_GH1

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

sanyo-xacti-hd-camcorders.jpg

Anybody got any idea on how i could mount one of these in my car? No point buying something when this is sitting in the bedside locker.

So far ive thought of placing it at the rearview mirror and using the flip out screen as a lever and tie it around the mirror with an elastic band or one of the GF's hair bobbons :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

I presume you have it plugged into the cigarette lighter? If that's the case how did you tidy up the cable? The unit I have has a stupidly long cable and I'm not sure how I should tidy it up.

http://www.prestigio.com/products/Car-Electronics/Car_Video_Recorder/Roadrunner_GH1

Hardwire it!
    Thanks man I'm very happy with it..doesn't burn a drop of oil either...I've given up checking every week :)

In other news - I decided to hardwire my roadhawk dashcam..its pissing me off looking at the wire dangling out of the cig ligher, I searched for a hardwire kit and they don't exist and I don't want to cut the wire as I'm thinking of getting a HD one at some stage and selling this one, I done the prep work this evening...

This was my solution :D, I'm going to wire this into my aux ignition switched fuse box.

img0175large2.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.us

img0176large.jpg

img0178large.jpg

img0179large.jpg

img0181large.jpg

Hardwire it!

I'm afraid that's absolutely beyond my capabilities. Sadly I'm not much of a handyman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/230699400186?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I got this one a couple weeks back, Took about 3 weeks to deliver. Got a card off memoryC €30 all in. Cant fault it so far, handy piece of kit.
    Nissandoc has the same one for longer than me so he could give a better review ;)

I Can post examples of its output if needs be.

Do you have any samples from the camera online? I'd love to see how it looks, I'm fairly tempted to buy one!

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭eqwjewoiujqorj

TechMoan has loads of reviews of cameras.

Here's a 1080p HD car cam, about 100 euro.

It's a 20 minute review, so you might want to download it to view in 1080p , if your internet connection is not the best.

Blog article:
    http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2011/11/13/a-black-box-for-your-car.html

YouTube Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Techmoan#g/u

I have mine running up over the headlining, down behind the seats, under the center console and the wire pop out right at the socket.

Hardwire it!

You can't with the one I have as it runs on 5v and the ligher plug is a converter.

I have mine running up over the headlining, down behind the seats, under the center console and the wire pop out right at the socket.

You can't with the one I have as it runs on 5v and the ligher plug is a converter.

You can! look at my pics..its a hardwire cig lighter socket. I plugged in the original cig wire, taped and cable tied it and put it behind the dash..so it frees up my factory sig socket and no unsightly wires..:D

Heres one already soldered up..cut off the lighter end and hardwire it.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/M9N-NEW-CIGAR-CIGARETTE-LIGHTER-12V-DC-EXTENSION-CABLE-LEAD-POWER-DC-ADAPTOR-/260904047980?pt=UK_ConsumerElectronics_PowerAdaptors_SM&hash=item3cbf17d56c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭TigerTim

I think I've been more unlucky than Nissan Doctor. I've the same model but mine keeps freezing. At least once a day I have to pop out the battery & put it back in. Quality is fairly good for the price but it's a pain to have ro reset it all the time. Tried different/faster SD card but the same happens.

T.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

What class SD card are you using ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Is that the same one puppet master linked too? Some images out of it for that price.

Also, is it possible to knock the mic off? I'm a bit of a sing-in-the-car kinda guy!!!

So is the Doctor, by the sounds of it :)

You can! look at my pics..its a hardwire cig lighter socket. I plugged in the original cig wire, taped and cable tied it and put it behind the dash..so it frees up my factory sig socket and no unsightly wires..:D

Heres one already soldered up..cut off the lighter end and hardwire it.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/M9N-NEW-CIGAR-CIGARETTE-LIGHTER-12V-DC-EXTENSION-CABLE-LEAD-POWER-DC-ADAPTOR-/260904047980?pt=UK_ConsumerElectronics_PowerAdaptors_SM&hash=item3cbf17d56c

I get you, A hidden lighter socket is on my list of things to do. I thought you were talking about wiring the camera straight to the cars power.
    Is that the same one puppet master linked too? Some images out of it for that price.

Its the same type alright.
    Also, is it possible to knock the mic off? I'm a bit of a sing-in-the-car kinda guy!!!
    Pique wrote: »
    So is the Doctor, by the sounds of it :)

I'm not sure if you can turn off the mic but its probably wise to listen to the video properly before you upload it to a public forum and embarrass yourself with dodgy singing:o

On the one I have you have a choice of recording sound or not. It should be in the options menu along with Resolution and record length section size (2min,5min,15min).

• Advertisement

I'd imagine that it would be a good thing to keep on..... If you are unfortunate to have a knock the other person could make some comment or statement that could well be caught by the camera. If you're publishing footage on here movie maker on windows can kill the sound for you...

Oh yeah I totally agree. The option is there though, for the person that asked and liked singing in the car. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,594 ✭✭✭Damien360

TechMoan has loads of reviews of cameras.

Here's a 1080p HD car cam, about 100 euro.

It's a 20 minute review, so you might want to download it to view in 1080p , if your internet connection is not the best.

Blog article:
    http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2011/11/13/a-black-box-for-your-car.html

YouTube Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Techmoan#g/u

I am very tempted by that 1080p unit. I am struggling to find a recognisable seller online. Most are US based.

Is there an Irish/euro area one that anyone has used with no complaints ? Chinavision are just wholesalers and well.....Chinese.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Damien360 wrote: »
    I am very tempted by that 1080p unit. I am struggling to find a recognisable seller online. Most are US based.

Is there an Irish/euro area one that anyone has used with no complaints ? Chinavision are just wholesalers and well.....Chinese.

All the ones on ebay seem to be £160 ish + . He mentions £100 in the video . Wouldnt mind payign that but £160 is touching €200.

I get you, A hidden lighter socket is on my list of things to do. I thought you were talking about wiring the camera straight to the cars power.

Yep, An add a circuit in addition to this makes live alot easier and avoids the use of those awful vampire taps. chuck into a switched fuse and bolt the earth to a ground somewhere on the chassis and your sorted.

Ebay Add-a-circuit link

itemimage11199135040.jpg

I, However have to be awkward..I've a few accessories in the car so I've a live and aux fuse box wired in .. the switched one is a (BUSS) from the states.

Here's a picture while I was testing the current and untidied!

img0099large.jpg

Its quite cheap to setup but overkill for most people..costs about €30 for relay, wiring, boxes, etc.

Heres is the wiring diagram..not or the faint-hearted but I'm no mechanic and managed to put it all together: :cool:

fuse_block_wiring_Medium.gif

Best of luck :cool:

All the ones on ebay seem to be £160 ish + . He mentions £100 in the video . Wouldnt mind payign that but £160 is touching €200.

From the footage being obtained from a thirty euro job, would you plush that kind of cash for HD ?

MugMugs wrote: »
    From the footage being obtained from a thirty euro job, would you plush that kind of cash for HD ?

I am not really after the 1080p but a quality video unit with sound and GPS. All the 30 quid ones have camera only and are hard to ignore. 720p is enough really. GPS addition (for speed readback mainly in my case) seems to add a lot to the price. That particular unit is nice and small compared to all others. That is why I am interested but like guy incognito, touching 200 is just too much for any unit. Cheers.

MugMugs wrote: »

I like the gps logging stuff the most tbh. It's the type of thing I've been after for a while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

I can't seem to find any UK based sellers on eBay.. only US based. Could you PM a link? My ageing roadhawk needs replacing and its my birthday in a few weeks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭RTT

kceire wrote: »
    sanyo-xacti-hd-camcorders.jpg

Anybody got any idea on how i could mount one of these in my car? No point buying something when this is sitting in the bedside locker.

So far ive thought of placing it at the rearview mirror and using the flip out screen as a lever and tie it around the mirror with an elastic band or one of the GF's hair bobbons :D
    Sitting in the bedside locker eh? Im sure you could think of other uses for it!:)

I bought a key chain cam and mounted it on the dash with blue tac. Works pretty well. Saw it in the bargain alerts forum.

• Advertisement

C.D. wrote: »
    I can't seem to find any UK based sellers on eBay.. only US based. Could you PM a link? My ageing roadhawk needs replacing and its my birthday in a few weeks :)

They're all hong hong based from what I can see. Just have to take the chances with paying customs I suppose

They're all hong hong based from what I can see. Just have to take the chances with paying customs I suppose

Ways and means...most those HK sellers will label it a low value if you ask them ;)

THIS is supposed to be a cracking camera along the lines of the Go Pro but Amazon are selling it much cheaper for the last while. Can be used as helmet cam or with a dash mount too.
    Not cheap but for what you get it's still a good price and a pretty versatile unit.

I could have done with one today.

Lad in a 04 black golf van fsi, tried to get me to go in to the back of him. Lucky for me, I was in the brakes already getting ready for my turn off in the filter lane in the middle of the road ( I am an early braker). He was going same way but braked very early before the turn off and very hard. He also left the rear of the car sticking out for any car in lane to left to clip it.

He then went down the M9 in the right hand lane at 100kmph with absolutely nothing ahead of him in either lane. It felt like he wanted me to take the inside lane so we could "meet". Considering I met him on a small country road going like the clappers a few minutes before as he passed a t-junction, his behaviour on M9 made no sense. I held back for about 3km and he soon gave up and pulled over.

I really wished I had the camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

I saw somebody posted a Prestigio camera,
    and my review is based on their computer products (ipad type thing) and I DONT LIKE. Yes its cheap, but it constantly freezes, slow and just not worth it.
    So if this camera is like their other products....I wouldn't buy it.

Just giving a heads up, somebody here might have a different opinion on it though.

kupus wrote: »
    I saw somebody posted a Prestigio camera,
    and my review is based on their computer products (ipad type thing) and I DONT LIKE. Yes its cheap, but it constantly freezes, slow and just not worth it.
    So if this camera is like their other products....I wouldn't buy it.

Just giving a heads up, somebody here might have a different opinion on it though.

I have one, it's called the roadmate and haven't had any problems with it. This was taken with it:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I think car manufacturers should start putting these in cars themselves

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Yup its a small cost in the grand scheme of things

As long as it's mandatory/stock for the Irish market. Good luck to getting anyone to choose it as an "extra" if it was a choice to begin with. :pac:

• Advertisement

Then there would have to be a law that it was mandatory.
    Then a law that it was an offence to interfere with it.
    Then a law that in the event of an accident, it is automatically available to the Gardai without your permission.
    Then a law that they can use your own footage as evidence against you.

Add all these together and they could just plug into the ECU to check your driving speeds over the last year and fine you based on that (as has been scare-mongered about wrt bikes).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭simit

What's the cost of buying/fitting a cam?

simit wrote: »
    What's the cost of buying/fitting a cam?

You can buy a decent one from eBay for €30-40. They simply plug into the cigarette lighter and start recording when you start the engine and stop when you turn it off.

http://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570&_nkw=dash+camera

I'd be much more in favour of making them put bluetooth in as standard. Much more important safety feature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/230699400186?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I got this one a couple weeks back, Took about 3 weeks to deliver. Got a card off memoryC €30 all in. Cant fault it so far, handy piece of kit.
    Nissandoc has the same one for longer than me so he could give a better review ;)

I Can post examples of its output if needs be.

Got the same one.. been sitting up in the parents house for the past few days but will get it over the weekend..
    Interested in seeing can it be broken down and integrate the lens into the back of my mirror and hide the rest away in the glovebox...:confused:

But from what nissandoctor and other have said it will do the job either way!

Yep, An add a circuit in addition to this makes live alot easier and avoids the use of those awful vampire taps. chuck into a switched fuse and bolt the earth to a ground somewhere on the chassis and your sorted.

I, However have to be awkward..I've a few accessories in the car so I've a live and aux fuse box wired in .. the switched one is a (BUSS) from the states.

Here's a picture while I was testing the current and untidied!

Its quite cheap to setup but overkill for most people..costs about €30 for relay, wiring, boxes, etc.

Heres is the wiring diagram..not or the faint-hearted but I'm no mechanic and managed to put it all together: :cool:

Best of luck :cool:

Sorted this today, I bought a 3 plug power socket and soldered it into the rear of the ligher socket then mounted the sockets into the glovebox and ran the wires for the camera and sat nav up through the dash and A pillar.

Now there are no visible wires and its all much neater.

DSCF3157.jpg
    DSCF3155.jpg
    DSCF3159.jpg

• Advertisement

Sorted this today, I bought a 3 plug power socket and soldered it into the rear of the ligher socket then mounted the sockets into the glovebox and ran the wires for the camera and sat nav up through the dash and A pillar.

Now there are no visible wires and its all much neater.

That works as well ;) It was actually how I had my first dashcam wired up (seperate camera/dvr/mic) back in 2008..never had a problem with it and more importantly its neat and out of sight.

DSCF3157.jpg

Whats the scanner for? Haven't seen one of them in yonks! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Just thought I'd share what I use. Daily roads voyager with my SE xperia. Records in 720.

BX 19 wrote: »

Just thought I'd share what I use. Daily roads voyager with my SE xperia. Records in 720.

jaysus what a muppet @0:33 :eek:...seems a regular one in dash cam vids here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Thought I'd pop this up.

Not one, but two drivers ignored the markings approaching the roundabout leaving Blanchardstown Shopping Centre (1st exit = outside lane, 2nd & 3rd exits = inside lane) and plough right through, almost into me.

Some might argue that at least they're using the correct rule for most roundabouts, but I expect drivers to be more awake and notice what way the roundabout works.

Enjoy AC/DC's "It's a Long Way to the Top if you wanna Rock & Roll" in the background, and try to ignore me mumbling "prick" and "idiot" at the drivers :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

jaysus what a muppet @0:33 :eek:...seems a regular one in dash cam vids here.

Yep he was a bit silly, I stuck the hazards on in case of someone behind me. Traffic was light enough, he was lucky he didnt go down that way at 8 in the morning when its bumper to bumper :D

Thought I'd pop this up.

Not one, but two drivers ignored the markings approaching the roundabout leaving Blanchardstown Shopping Centre (1st exit = outside lane, 2nd & 3rd exits = inside lane) and plough right through, almost into me.

Some might argue that at least they're using the correct rule for most roundabouts, but I expect drivers to be more awake and notice what way the roundabout works.
    :)

There is several coming into dundrum from the M50 that have odd lane markings that everyone seems to ignore. Lazy ignorant people :mad:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement