Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Biggest transfer fails?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

kryogen wrote: »
    Em, if it proves anything at all its that Barcelona did business badly

It does not prove he was a flop because he did his job! He succeeded on the pitch! He scored and assisted, he was a success.

He doesnt set his transfer fees does he?

And he was loaned to Milan for the first season. So he was 2 years older signing for Milan, 2 years into his Barca contract, and I'm sure there would have already been a loan fee paid too.

This side of it is irrelevant. He did his job. He cannot be a flop

I suggest you read the opening post again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

@dfx

Ok, so now a player can be a flop if he goes on the field and forgetting assists, scores 21 goals in 33 starts.

Be easier to make a list of players who havent flopped then.

Dempsey wrote: »
    I suggest you read the opening post again!

The transfer overall was a failure, the fault for this has to lie with Barcelona for how they handled it.

You said he flopped. He didnt.

The transfer overall was a failure, the fault for this has to lie with Barcelona for how they handled it.

You said he flopped. He didnt.

Sorry Mr. Pedantic that didnt read the OP. FFS, you'd argue with the wall if it talked back!

Who/what is to blame is irrelevant in this thread.

Sorry Mr. Pedantic that didnt read the OP. FFS, you'd argue with the wall if it talked back!

I did read the bloody OP, you have no argument, you wrongly called a player a flop and now have made yourself look foolish by persisting with this claim in the face of overwhelming evidence.

You are now trying to weasel out of it with your smart comments. Not actually big enough to admit you were wrong.

I take it we are done here?

Ahh the ninja edit, ok to respond to the added part.

Your damn right, who or what is to blame is irrelevant. What you said is wrong. Plain and simple. Trying to worm out of it and looking for technicalities is funny though.

If you had said the transfer was a failure because of how much it cost Barca financially you would have been right.

You didnt, you said he flopped as a player, your debating point was based on that, you are only changing it now because of how ridiculous you must now see that position to be.

• Advertisement

I did read the bloody OP, you have no argument, you wrongly called a player a flop and now have made yourself look foolish by persisting with this claim in the face of overwhelming evidence.

You are now trying to weasel out of it with your smart comments. Not actually big enough to admit you were wrong.

I take it we are done here?

LOL, what?

Do you come onto the interweb looking for the +1 by being pedantic?

Ibrahmovic was a flop, a huge flop. Thats my opinion and nothing that you have said changed it.

EDIT

Ninja EDIT :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,220 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Aquilani and Robbie Keane to Liverpool.

LOL, what?

Do you come onto the interweb looking for the +1 by being pedantic?

Ibrahmovic was a flop, a huge flop. Thats my opinion and nothing that you have said changed it.

EDIT

Ninja EDIT :rolleyes:

I don't need to change your opinion, your opinion is wrong.

Kinda sad that you are now just resorting to passive aggressive baiting since you don't have a leg to stand on.

Take the rest to pm will ya, no more interest in clogging up the thread with you

I don't need to change your opinion, your opinion is wrong.

Kinda sad that you are now just resorting to passive aggressive baiting since you don't have a leg to stand on.

Take the rest to pm will ya, no more interest in clogging up the thread with you

My opinion isnt wrong and why would I bother PMing you? Get a grip of yourself!

Sigh, if you want to continue it pm me, if not great! Im simply done going back and forth on the thread. Its boring.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I was the first one to mention that transfer...I don't see any problem with it being in this thread at all..as I said, biggest transfer fail for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

darkman2 wrote: »
    What is the worst big money transfer ever in your opinion? Is it Andy Caroll?:D

Dictionary definition of "opinion" -
    1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.

2.a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.

Is it any wonder most of these threads turn to absolute sh^te?

Sigh, if you want to continue it pm me, if not great! Im simply done going back and forth on the thread. Its boring.

You seem more interested in getting in your opinion, and thats all it is, as the last word and some sort of fact on the matter. In case someone hasnt told you, people are entitled to their opinion, and the criteria that defines their opinion, and it might just disagree with yours! Brace yourself, the internet is full of this.
    Dictionary definition of "opinion" -
    1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.

2.a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.

Is it any wonder most of these threads turn to absolute sh^te?

You hardly came in here looking for facts? :pac:

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

As there are no Soccer mods around at the moment I'm going to interject at this point. Dempsey and kryogen, either take it to PM or knock it off so that the thread can get back on-topic. Thank you.

Zaph wrote: »
    As there are no Soccer mods around at the moment I'm going to interject at this point. Dempsey and kryogen, either take it to PM or knock it off so that the thread can get back on-topic. Thank you.

I'm entitled to defend my opinion, I dont have to take it to PM because the same lad wont accept it. I am done with this thread btw, I didnt realise expressing an opinion would involve so much bullshít.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

plasmaguy wrote: »
    Two pages, and no-one has mentioned Arshavin? Lol.

Arshavin would be near the top of any list.

Wenger has had some great signings in his time but has made some awful signings as well, particularly in defence.

Some of his best signings he got on the cheap, some of his worst he paid fortunes for.

I think Alex Ferguson has made very few poor signings down through the years, maybe a handful, as opposed to the dozens of successes such as the likes of Sherringham, Solskar, Cantona, Keane, Cole, Yorke, Tevez, Vidic and so on.

Possibly the biggest flop is Berbatov.

Another good manager in the transfer market is David Moyes who gets great players on the cheap and makes them play above themselves. Great manager imo.

Very few poor signings!! thats a laugh, most managers have a few poor transfers in their time. For Utd I can think of:

Jesper Blomqvist
    Massimo Taibi
    Karel Poborsky
    Louis Saha
    Juan Sebastian Veron
    Diego Forlan
    Roy Carroll
    Mark Bosnich
    Quinton Fortune
    Kleberson
    Rodrigo Possebon
    Ricardo
    Manucho
    Liam Miller
    Dong FangZhou
    Zoran Tosic

Christ I could keep going on!!

Non Utd players:
    Alberto Aquilani
    Anelka to Madrid
    Keane to Liverpool
    Richard Wright
    Pascal Cygan
    Mikael Silvestre to Arsenal
    Julio Baptista to Arsenal
    Shaun Wright-Phillips to Chelsea
    Mutu
    Winston Bogarde
    Chris Sutton to Chelsea

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Severe lack of bebe in here.

Signed for €9 million without seeing him play , Played two games for united and was sent on loan with the option to buy for €2 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Diddy Kong wrote: »
    Pascal Cygan

Hes bald, hes shit,
    He gets a game when no one is fit,
    Cygan, Cygan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Ibrahimovic to Barcelona IMO, Eto'o + 45M is ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Where To wrote: »
    Trevor Francis was the forerunner to the overvalued overhyped overpaid primadonnas that plague our game today.
    Not related to the thread topic, which asks who is the biggest transfer flop. As already mentioned, Francis did quite well at Birmingham, Forest, Man City, Sampdoria and QPR, as well as doing a very good job as player manager at Sheffield Wednesday. Also had brief spells at Atalanta and Rangers, although he failed to impress, neither were big money moves.

If you consider his £1m transfer to Forest a flop, the stats show he scored 22 league goals in 50 games. He also scored the winning goal in '79 European Cup final and another two in the following seasons competition, thus helping Forest retain the cup in Madrid.

That anyone would include Trevor Francis in the "biggest transfer fails" is laughable and absurd.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Des Lynam to ITV didn't work out all that great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Park Chu Yung to Arsenal

Signed for around 3.5 million and has made one league appearance afaik. Word on the street is he can only play for us for a maximum of two years anyway because he has to return to South Korea to do military service.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Ibra to Barca for Eto plus all that cash was ludicrous IMO. That's not a slight on his ability but more looking at the transfer overall.

At the time of the transfer there wasn't much between Eto and Ibra as players. A straight swap may have been more the market value IMO. The huge chunk of change that Barca threw into the deal makes it one of the most bizzare and overpriced transfers of all time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Would have to agree with the above. Not only should the transfer fee be taken into account, but so too should the wages. Ibra was a massive flop. End of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Brolin - no transfer failure was larger...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

tvercetti wrote: »
    Who was Veron a bigger flop for in peoples opinions. Obviously United paid alot more money but surely Chelsea paying approximately £15 million for him after seeing what he was capable of in the league was just as big a mistake and I don't think Chelsea recouped anything, maybe a few million for his different loan spells.

I acknowledge Veron wasn't that much of a failure but just vastly overpriced and unsuited to the league.

As a United fan I would take the Veron back then now in a heartbeat, there is no disputing he was a worldclass player, his range of vision and passing were unreal. The reason he didnt fit in was because of the style of football united played back then which was gung ho and archaic, he also was intimitated my Roy Keane, he played much better with Butt and he also played some blinders for us in europe

look at this for a pass

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih5hoWdsr5Y&feature=related

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Park Chu Yung to Arsenal

Signed for around 3.5 million and has made one league appearance afaik. Word on the street is he can only play for us for a maximum of two years anyway because he has to return to South Korea to do military service.

Ugh. If Wenger actually played him, people would see he'd be no.1 choice as back up to RVP and would be ahead of Gervinho (based on his very hit n miss season from what I've seen and heard), Walcott and Arshavin.

Love that the only time he has started a game this season, against Bolton in the League Cup, he scored. Movement and finish is not that of an average, nothing player -

Really should have went to Lille, not Arsenal considering how things have panned out.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

There are plenty of bad signings but the Biggest fail is Torres.

Signed as a goal scorer - 3 goals in 36 appearances, a massive failure, coupled with the fact his overall contribution on field has been poor also.

You could argue he cost a good double winning manager he job - Carlo, you could also argue AVB's problems with Torres and his complete failure to find any sort of goal scoring form also lead to AVB losing his job.

If you add in the negative effect his sigining has caused on the squad, the slump in the clubs fortunes since his arrival, the cost of transfer, wages, and cost of managerial changes as well as impact of managerial changes then in my opinion he is the biggest transfer failure by some distance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Diddy Kong wrote: »
    Very few poor signings!! thats a laugh, most managers have a few poor transfers in their time. For Utd I can think of:

Jesper Blomqvist
    Massimo Taibi
    Karel Poborsky
    Louis Saha
    Juan Sebastian Veron
    Diego Forlan
    Roy Carroll
    Mark Bosnich
    Quinton Fortune
    Kleberson
    Rodrigo Possebon
    Ricardo
    Manucho
    Liam Miller
    Dong FangZhou
    Zoran Tosic
    You have some ridiculous ones there.
    You can't call young inexpensive players with potential poor signings.
    Backup goalkeepers are generally not great anyway so I don't know why you include them either. :confused:
    And in Possebons case,he looked a steal until a thug masquerading as a footballer intervened.

Advertisement