Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I've been avoiding this....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭madon

Haven't been updating! I've kept myself ticking over going for a run every other day nothing too exerting- from my hip to just under my knee is killing me:( I'm finding that it loosens after a couple of miles and then stiffening again after the runs. Have been stretching and icing I've done every exercise I can find on you tube that helps the IT band etc but its gone too far and will need to see a physio but I think I've kept it at bay enough to see me through Sat. I don't think I'm as prepared as i want to be given that I haven't done more than six miles in a long long time but I know I can finish it even if it means walking the last couple of miles!

So I ran the half in 2.17.51- Started half way back in the third wave and kept the distance between the 2 hour pacers until the turnoff at mile 7 on chesterfield road- up until that point I was keeping myself just under 10 minute miles and i felt fantastic. I struggled between 8-9 but kept it close to 10 min mile in the hope I'd get a second wind but it never came, by mile 10 I was ready to walk but my OH and kids had come up to the top of Chesterfield Ave which I hadn't expected. I kept going and ran the slowest 800 metres to the finish line ever!

My knee and leg felt fine I ran on the left hand side of the road and it felt fine at one stage I ended up on the right hand side and could feel a tug so I moved back over.

I wasn't as sore at the end of it as I expected to be so that makes me think I could have gone harder- It was lack of energy that hit me at mile 10 so I need to start bringing gels on a few runs and see how I get on.
    I'm proud that I finished it as I hadn't even expected to do this this year, I now have a time to beat but hopefully I'll be able to smash it next year.

I've a flu all this week- so haven't been out for a run (I did manage a bit of a walk though) but I'm lost as to what to aim for now all the races seem so far away.
    I want to improve my 10k time bring it down to as close to 50 mins as I can I would also like to build up milage at least be able to comfortably run 13 miles by spring.
    For the next few weeks I might take things easy- just enjoy a few slow runs and think about things!

Went out today for a bit of a run more so to get the dog out, he's missing his runs. Felt crap and ended up having to stop before I even hit 2km, the flu I had is on my lungs now so I'm probably better off not over doing things. Todays run I slow jogged half a km to warm up- ran 800m at 7.5km pace 500m recovery before I stopped- hoped to get at least two more fast runs in- I need to pick up the pace! But I've no race to aim for until spring so I've plenty of time.
    Going to head out again in the morn just for a slow easy run.

Slow 5k, chest still felling heavy so I'm just happy enough to be out at the minute, nothing constructive happening!

5.5 miles in 55 mins. Just easing back in after my sick break! Luckily I've nothing on the horizon so I'm happy to just tick over for however long it takes to get over this chest infection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭super_sweeney

keep up the good work

Had half hour before OH wentout to work so plan was to run the just over two and a half mile loop around the village doing two miles of itin under 8mins- I should be well able for that- but I struggled to get the first mile under 8 and it took me the rest of the loop to recover:o
    I could say that the wind was very strong and that I hadn't been out in nearly a week and that I can still feel a catch on my chest but it dawned on me when I struggled home that I've got out of the habit of really pushing myself, I'm too quick to excuse myself from a hard run and slow down to a more enjoyable pace.

0ne mile warm up then 4* 1/4 mile fast and just under half mile slow jog to finish.
    I know I should be trying to do these over a longer distance but I'm finding it hard to keep a steady pace and find that when I try speed up I end up going too fast (I was trying to keep it at 7.30 min mile and at one stage I was running at 6.30)
    I will later in the week (or maybe tomorrow) try two half miles at 7.30. Maybe i just need to get it wrong for a while before I get familiar with the feel of different paces (if that makes sense!)
    On a good note its the first run since the end of August that I haven't felt a heaviness in my knee.

5 mile in 50 mins- ran the first two miles in 8.30, then very slow 3 miles! Overall it was probably a little slower than I'd normally go 5 mile but I'm happy I got the first two miles at a steady 8.30.

• Advertisement

3 and a half mile in 40 mins- was running wth someone so was only a slow jog but its nice to have company sometimes (besides the dog).

One mile warm up- half mile my sprint/jog, one mile warm down.

3.5 miles comfortably slow.

6.21 miles in 57.57.52. Its a PB but not 'official' Don't know if my little speed sessions has helped towards that one coz it was tough going I ran over four miles of into a strong wind including the last half mile.
    I'm delighted with myself gong to reward myself with a big mug of coffee and a very thick slice of banana bread:D

Have been on the turbo and a four and half mile run this morning- have had another dose on me- hope I'm not going to spend the winter now with one sinus and chest infection after another- so I hadn't got out in a week. Struggled through todays run.

Two more 2.5 mile runs- and half hour sweating on the turbo trainer!

• Advertisement

5k tempo in 27.07, had a very good run- really enjoyed it, got my heart pumping! I seem to be doing 5k and 10k in training that I would be delighted to do in a race setting- I've probably hit my peak after the race season:rolleyes:

7 mile in 1.09.53 Enjoyed the run.

4k in 22mins- I had a little window of time between home from work and kids to bed so just went out and ran!

5k on Friday in around 28 mins and another 5k today a bit slower just under 29 mins. Was able to get out 4 times this week so I'm happy with that.

Another 5k today- wasn't in the mood for it my legs felt heavy and tired.
    Thinking of starting a half marathon plan for the half in Bohermeen in March. Ideally next week would be a perfect start week it would give me two weeks to sort myself out if I tuck into too many selection boxes over Christmas!

• Advertisement

3 more miles. Won't get out for the next few days, Sunday night will be my next chance.

21/11- 3 mile
    23/11- 5 mile

25/11- 5 by 400 metre (well 1/4 mile) I tried to keep it in around 2 mins for each 400 metre but ended up going a bit faster than that and did the 5 in 9.22 mins. I'm sure that when I increase the amounts I'll slow it down!

27/11 3 mile- 26.58mins I felt fine struggled a bit when I went out first it was freezing even though it was the first night i ran with my jacket (a cycling one) then when i got past the 2nd mile I was too warm!!! Going to look for a proper running jacket like the NB one I seen for e20 in TKmaxx a few weeks ago and never got!

First week of the Hal Higdens intermediate half marathon training done, bar one 3 mile- chances are I'm not going to get out for 5 nights so I'll drop the Thursday night 3 mile and make sure that I get the more important days in. I have an extra two weeks in there too before the Bohermeen half at the beginning of March to allow for bad weather and Xmas. I don't know what time to aim for- I think I should go safe and aim for 10 minute miles so 2hr 10 min but I'd love to do it in around 2 hours. We'll see!

30 minute tempo run- peak of it into a very strong wind. Found it hard to keep my pace slow at the beginning but I felt I done ok. I had a couple of hills as well on that route so it made it a bit tougher. Covered 3.30 miles so time wise I probably covered the same distance as I would if I kept a steady pace at that distance so I don't know if that means I should have gone a little faster or if I done it properly:confused:

3.1 miles in 26.32 which is a couple of seconds slower than PB- legs felt really strong- cold got to me a bit again need to invest in something to keep me warm.

6 mile in 55.28- First two in a comfortable 9 min mile. Mile 3 and 4 is where I slowed down and battled into the wind to keep the last two around 9 as well. Enjoyed it and was very tempted to keep going for the .21 of a mile to get an unofficial PB for 10k (but I ended my run on the bottom of a hill!!)

3.5 in 32.18- struggled at the end probably because of the 6 miles yesterday and the mad cleaning buzz I've been on the last two days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

madon wrote: »
    the mad cleaning buzz I've been on the last two days!

Wanna come to my house :p
    Nice running lately, any races lined up?

littlebug wrote: »
    Wanna come to my house :p
    Nice running lately, any races lined up?

You wouldn't want me near your house if you seen the stressed out frenzy I get into while cleaning!
    I feel like I'm running better in the last few weeks, typical I'd hit a high in the winter when theres not many races on! I'll do the Bohermeen half marathon in March but would like something before that. I'd love to get a 10k in before the end of the year- I know I could do a far better time than the last 10k I did but I can't find one thats close by and suits work wise.
    Besides that theres a few local Santa Dash in the area, just for a bit of fun- I'm doing one on Sunday that welcomes pets so I've doctored a reindeer hairband to fit the dog- I wouldn't put as much effort into the kids nativity plays!

3.1 miles in 28.43.
    This week I'm supposed to be running a 5k race but I can't get to one. So I done the 5k tonight. Was a bit slow but I've been having a lot of good days training lately so I'm well overdue a bad day:D

• Advertisement

Went out to do 6 400 metre in 5k pace, In my confusion converting km to miles I ended up doing 8 400 metres. Done in 17 mins.

Done a 3k Santa Dash on Sunday I know these are fun things but i gave it loads:o!!! Jogged 2k back afterwards.
    7 miles this morning in 1.10 hoping to do it around 1.05 but weather conditions slowed me down.

Done a 3k Santa Dash on Sunday I know these are fun things but i gave it loads:o!!! .

Must have been quite a sight :D

Must have been quite a sight :D

I ran it with the dog as well so I really stood out! I owed it too him to give it a lot of effort- he had been training all year for a race!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

You seem to be doing all your runs at PB pace. Stick a recent race time in McMillans pace calculator and compare his suggested pace with what you are doing. It may seem counter-intuitive but you need to run slower to get faster.

You seem to be doing all your runs at PB pace. Stick a recent race time in McMillans pace calculator and compare his suggested pace with what you are doing. It may seem counter-intuitive but you need to run slower to get faster.

I had a look:eek:- I'm running my LSRs at the pace I should be doing intervals:o
    Makes sense though once I think about it- my pace throughout my runs will probably be a bit more consistent if I slow down a bit, I tend to take off too fast and not be able to keep it up! Really appreciate the input meathcountysec.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

McMillan gives you a range of pace for each type of run. Ideally you should have a long/slow/run, perhaps a tempo or interval session, 2 runs at easy pace and everything else at recovery pace (presuming 5+ runs per week). Do a tempo one week and an interval session the next week, alternating between them.

As a minimum do the long/slow/run, the tempo/interval and at least one other (easy).

All paces based on an actual race performance not on a pace you want to achieve.

A couple of months like that and you'll see real progress.

All paces based on an actual race performance not on a pace you want to achieve.

I was doing this!
    Haven't got out the past few days between, kids nativity (3nights!) and now two of us struck down with a stomach bug, really disappointed, hopefully I'll get out tomorrow and do a tempo run at Mcmillans suggested pace.

3.5 miles in 35 mins- It was lovely to get back out but my legs were like two blocks and I had a constant pain in my right side that was just simmering on a stitch. I probably could have done with a day of eating properly before I went back out!

• Advertisement

35 minute tempo was todays plan. So I set out intending to run the first 5 mins at 10.30 min mile. When I settled into what I thought was a slow enough pace i looked at my watch I was going at 9.45! Tried slowing this down over the next half mile and discovered that once I got to around 10 min mile I had to shorten my stride to such an extent that it totally adjusted my posture. So I decided to run the next mile in a pace that I found I cpuld run comfortably which seemed to fall between 9.30 and 9.45. By this stage I was 19 minutes into the run so I ran two minutes at 9.30 and four minutes at 9.15 and gradually worked my way back to around 10.30 at the end so it resembled a tempo!

4 mile in 39 mins- took a nose dive half way round landed half on the dog, frightened the crap out of him and me- surface scratches only though thankfully!

24 Dec 3 miles at 11 min miles- took it very slow as I felt my legs very sore after my fall! Very heavy legs for the first mile then they loosened out, thankfully it was one of those runs that gets rid of sore legs rather than make it worse!
    This morning went to a local goal mile- never got a time I think they forgot after the first three came in! - bit gutted because I don't have a mile time went home and the dog spotted me in running gear so I brought him out for 6 miles Took it handy done them in 1.03

4 miles 39 mins, nice run I didn't feel yesterdays 7 miles in my legs.

4 mile in 39 mins- took a nose dive half way round landed half on the dog, frightened the crap out of him and me- surface scratches only though thankfully!

Ouch! How'd that happen?

Ouch! How'd that happen?

I don't think I was fully over the stomach bug, I went down pretty hard didn't really have time to even get my hands out, luckily the poor dog broke my fall I probably should have done more damage than I did.
    Worse was I accidently stood on his paw at the exact same place on yesterdays run- he was acting a bit odd when we approached that part of the road tonight he kept trying to turn around, I think he was glad when he got past without injury!

• Advertisement

I thought I'd be lucky to just get out for the one run this week and I got three runs in:D 4 miles tonight in 38.49. Thats all I'll get this week for the rest of it myself and the OH will pass like ships in the night! So next Monday I'll resume half marathon programme.

4 miles 38.43 mins- resuming half marathon training- Day 1 of week 5 of Hal Higdons, plus my first 4 miles of the new year! Determined to become a runner this year not a happy to finisher!

3.5 miles: With 7*250 at 8 pace and the bits inbetween at between 10 and at one stage I fought into the wind at 12 minute mile pace! I must be mad:D

8 miles- didn't want to go out but loved it when I did- struggled to keep the pace down for the first 3 miles but then I settled around 10 min mile pace- stopped a few times for toilet breaks (not me). Done in 1.18.20 so happy with that

3.5 in 34.36. Legs felt heavy and never loosened. I'd love to blame the 8 miles yesterday but I think it had more to do with last nights corona(s).

• Advertisement
Advertisement